Pierre Poilievre for President of Canada?

This funny ad by Pierre Poilievre had my eyes rolling, and laughing at the same time.

Obviously, he is a good communicator and has energy. He seems smart and decided. I saw many of his interventions when he was questioning -sorry assassinating- Justin at We Charity hearings, and he is just like in this ad. There's just something that feels quite odd; this ad reflects exactly what is wrong with the CPC, and why they haven't taken power since 2015.

The message of his advertisement was strictly economical, talking about our beloved God, money, and how he will make ourselves rich rather than credit card broke like his to-be-predecessor Trudeau leads us all to be. I think this is off a Canadian market target, but would fit more in the US. 

Would you vote for him? I would, because I'm a Tory, but I don't think he will suffice to convince soft Liberals to vote for him.

Edited by QuebecOverCanada
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think he’s a breath of fresh air.  Simple strong message.  No identity politics or phoney bleeding heart fluff.  What I especially like is that he’ll go head to head with anyone in a debate.

I agree. But you need more than that in Canada. Justin won in parts because he's so dreamy and talks to the hearts of the mid-life crisis ladies who vote on masse.

In other words, CPC need to be phony SOBs and also play the inclusive game. Ditch the niqab debate. Ditch the abortion question. Make it all about an inclusive Canadian Dream, with all kinds of diversity -male, female, poc, whites, poor, rich- in ads for photo ops and stick to the message; stable economy. Stable diplomacy. Seriousness and rigor in managing public spending. That works.

I don’t want to hear any identity politics messaging.  When I hear words like “inclusive” from politicians I check out because I don’t think they’re serious people.  I want a Canada focused on cutting edge infrastructure, high speed rail, education, technology R and D (medical, agriculture, mining, artificial intelligence, etc), sustainable energy, economic opportunity for all, and visionary public works.  Anything involving throwing money at special interest groups, extending the CERB, or expanding the civil service is equivalent to a giant tax dollar dumpster fire in my opinion.

Edited by Zeitgeist

10 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Would you vote for him? I would, because I'm a Tory, but I don't think he will suffice to convince soft Liberals to vote for him.

This kind of brainless ad helps Trudeau in at least 3 ways I can think of:
-He doesn't have the grace and acting to pull of an ad with physical movement; it comes off as cheap and amateurish
-The ad says nothing specific to a thinking person about what he would do differently, and is just sloganeering
-By not providing any kind of policy challenge, he opens the door to a similarly empty response which would be emotive, set up as a filmed entertainment piece, and would likely have higher production values

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

1. I don’t want to hear any identity politics messaging.  
2. When I hear words like “inclusive” from politicians I check out because I don’t think they’re serious people.  
3. I want a Canada focused on cutting edge infrastructure, high speed rail, education, technology R and D (medical, agriculture, mining, artificial intelligence, etc), sustainable energy, economic opportunity for all, and visionary public works.  
4. Anything involving throwing money at special interest groups, extending the CERB, or expanding the civil service is equivalent to a giant tax dollar dumpster fire in my opinion.

1. It's ALL identity politics messaging, because the foundation of the message is "you are a great Canadian", ie. your identity is valid.  This is how advertising has worked since they reframed 'instant coffee' as a necessary product for busy mothers to take care of their husbands vs the reality that was for lazy hung-over slobs and floozies who didn't have five minutes to make a proper cup of coffee.

Identity politics starts by flattering the Narcissus watching.  This method has infected our culture to the point where kids who play TikTok and games all day while hitting the bong think they have value.

2. This doesn't mean you're against identity politics, though, it means that you have a different targeting persona.  Yours might be a butch lad in a lumber jacket and a yellow (ALWAYS YELLOW NEVER WHITE) hard hat, carrying a single long piece of lumber with the Canadian Rockies behind you.

3.  I am with you.  We should also demand that they explain, if briefly, the costs and benefits and tell us how they're going to track whether it pays off.

4. Again... if the costs amount to peanuts then I don't care much, except that it's a sign of old school politics.