About prison or jail.

Jean-Kevin

I watch videos about prison or jail. I have never been to prison nor do I intend to go there but even if you aren't to go in prison you are confronted with violence, with things that you find in documentaries or reality TV about prison.

I don't confuse reality with reality TV and I don't naively believe everything a documentary says but I find relevant information in it. 

Sometimes we get into physical fights but the reason is self-defense because we are physically attacked (so we are forced to react and fight). Otherwise we tend to have verbal clashes and avoid physical confrontation as much as possible. There is the robbery with violence as the car-jacking and there it's better to do nothing and then to complain to the police.

But in prison there seems to be a clearer requirement to be prepared to do physical fighting and to make it happen because I think disrespect and harassment are far too dangerous and destructive. 

Edited by Jean-Kevin

A large chunk of people who wind up in prison have mental/emotional issues, lack of self-control, lack of impulse control, lack of empathy for others. Prison simply gathers such people together, which makes living there extremely difficult and violent. I think prisons do a lousy job of rehabilitation. At best, the cage violent people and keep them away from society for a period of time and act as a deterrent to some who would otherwise commit more crime.

A large chunk of people who wind up in prison have mental/emotional issues, lack of self-control, lack of impulse control, lack of empathy for others.

Many people who are in prison are bad or evil but among the many offenses or crimes they have committed some have been retained and they have been sentenced to prison.

What complicates things is that there are also a lot of people who are not in prison because they are bad or evil. There are people who are there because a manipulator incited them to commit a crime, because they ran over a kid in a car, because they sold drugs, for stealing etc.

Prison simply gathers such people together, which makes living there extremely difficult and violent.

From what I understand, prison is experienced as a psychological torture and there are rapes or sexual violence that lead to many suicides. 

I think prisons do a lousy job of rehabilitation.

I think that the concern of the people who work there isn't be able to rehabilitate prisoners but to make sure that there isn't too much crime or mess in their prison.

Prison is a kind of modern torture chamber where it's hoped that it will frighten bad people, sexual predators, thieves, etc. away from committing their crimes. 

Edited by Jean-Kevin

You omit the fact that prison sentence is determined by a judge on a case by case basis. The principle for detainment is to protect the public.

But a prison sentence is also a terrible tragedy because it affects the perpetrator for the rest of their life. 

I’m no psychologist but it seems there is a certain “will to criminality” that exists in some people. It is a defect like sociopathy. Others may commit crime out of desperation. Others still, by accident. I think the first type is irredeemable, needs some jail. The second and third might not need prison but might be “unreliable” to have around in emergencies, if you know what I mean.

They could all perhaps be reformed, but not in a prison.

• 4 months later...

Do your own research

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/occupation/6668/ca

They are aggressively hiring.

A prison sentence in Canada can result in such horrible things like: 3 Square meals per day,  College or University degrees, Learning useful skills and getting welfare and subsidized housing for the rest of your life. Prison is a wonderful learning facility for people who need to be corrected. You have access to top notch doctors and nurses  and you will be taught by some of the most experienced teachers around, other inmates. Most of Canada would benefit exponentially from a year in prison.

Edited by ChristopherCross

20 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Would you replace them with anything ? 

No. I would call up my real-estate buddy to auction them off.

20 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Would you let the criminals run free ?

I suppose you could call it that.

My friends,

Who among us is in jail now, and who is not. Who is being told they cannot go out and do what they will at their own liberty?

Prisons are being opened now, because Covid. Let the iniquity flow out... for what is the point of a prison, when the whole world is gaol.

24 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

My friends,

Who among us is in jail now, and who is not. Who is being told they cannot go out and do what they will at their own liberty?

You aim high. I would be happy just knowing where exactly the hell we are!

33 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Ah.  So no criminal system ?

No.  I would forbid incarceration and pay my knights to root out slave-traders. 

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    nyralucas

• Jeary earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Gaétan earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • Dictatords earned a badge