What are these badges?

Argus

So I just got a 'badge' for being here one year - after fifteen years. Also got a badge for making my 500th post! Yay me!  It was only three minutes ago I got a badge for my first post!

Edited by Argus

58 minutes ago, Argus said:

So I just got a 'badge' for being here one year - after fifteen years. Also got a badge for making my 500th post! Yay me!  It was only three minutes ago I got a badge for my first post!

Don't get too irritated.

I too received a few badges - one week in the forum, one month in the forum and one year in the forum - all of them shown as "Rare".

In fact I should have received a "10 year with the forum" badge, but those three will make up for it.

P.S.     After posting the above I even received a "Posting Machine" badge !!!! ?

Edited by cougar

• Forum Admin

Sorry folks, a forum upgrade added a new gamification feature, which includes badges.  

The upgrade is requiring a reindexing of 1.44 million postings (in the background), so things are a bit slow around here.

Once the search reindex is complete, i can then start the process of reindexing the database to properly allocate badges based on everyone's past contributions.

Argus, you'll be pleased with all the fancy badges you're about to receive ;)

So ignore the badges for now, they're going to be incorrect for a short period!

• Forum Admin

Search re-index has been completely and the badge reindex has started.

Note, while the badge DB redindex is running, the badges will no longer show...

So it'll be a few hours before everything is displaying properly.

7 hours ago, Greg said:

Search re-index has been completely and the badge reindex has started.

Note, while the badge DB redindex is running, the badges will no longer show...

So it'll be a few hours before everything is displaying properly.

You know where I said I'd been here fourteen years? I was wrong. It's seventeen years. Holy Jesus! You've kept this forum you built going for an unbelievable amount of time! I hope  you're getting a special badge, boyo! 

• Forum Admin
15 hours ago, Argus said:

You've kept this forum you built going for an unbelievable amount of time!

Ha, thanks.

It hard to believe, but I was member #1 registered in Dec 29, 2000!

I'm not certain, but this might be one of the oldest (and longest running) political forums on the Net. We'd certainly be in the running in Canada... But I might be wrong.

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 9.20.25 AM.png

11 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I note we are all Grand Masters now. Doesn't seem right. Like having too many chiefs, or something.

This could also be communism...

;)

Also, I notice that the "First Post" badge is considered rare.  Wouldn't that have to be the most common badge awarded?

14 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Also, I notice that the "First Post" badge is considered rare.  Wouldn't that have to be the most common badge awarded?

It’s like when your kid’s on a soccer team

and everybody gets an award

every time they play

nobody loses

nobody wins

no score is kept

in fact there is no ball

• Forum Admin
On 6/28/2021 at 9:22 PM, bcsapper said:

In theory yes, but because this is such a large forum, it attracts ALOT of spammers. Those spammers will register and then will either be immediately blocked (via an external spam filtering service), or they will post their spam and then one of the mods will ban them.  So basically we have 80K + spammer accounts in the DB all of which have no posts associated with their account (cause when we mark them as spammers, their spam is removed).

So if you're not a spammer, it's a good chance you've posted at least once. And because spammers outnumber members, you've in a "rare" group of members who've posted at least once. The rare badge is assigned to tasks that less than 5% of members have achieved.

So the solution to this is to prune the spammers from the DB - which I've considered doing... but that might cause some unintended consequences...

10 minutes ago, Greg said:

In theory yes, but because this is such a large forum, it attracts ALOT of spammers. Those spammers will register and then will either be immediately blocked (via an external spam filtering service), or they will post their spam and then one of the mods will ban them.  So basically we have 80K + spammer accounts in the DB all of which have no posts associated with their account (cause when we mark them as spammers, their spam is removed).

So if you're not a spammer, it's a good chance you've posted at least once. And because spammers outnumber members, you've in a "rare" group of members who've posted at least once. The rare badge is assigned to tasks that less than 5% of members have achieved.

So the solution to this is to prune the spammers from the DB - which I've considered doing... but that might cause some unintended consequences...

Ah.  Makes sense.

Edited by bcsapper

• Forum Admin
On 7/5/2021 at 7:02 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

some forum members are having trouble posting after this update

@Yzermandius19 This is the first I've heard of any problems. 

If someone tells you they're having an issue, tell them to post a message in the support forum.

13 minutes ago, Greg said:

@Yzermandius19 This is the first I've heard of any problems. 

If someone tells you they're having an issue, tell them to post a message in the support forum.

they are having trouble posting during some times and not during others

the user I know who it is effecting, doesn't care enough to report the issue, but I thought I'd give you a heads up that it is an issue since the update

Edited by Yzermandius19

• Forum Admin
On 7/12/2021 at 12:24 PM, Yzermandius19 said:

the user I know who it is effecting, doesn't care enough to report the issue, but I thought I'd give you a heads up that it is an issue since the update

OK, I appreciate the note, but please encourage that user to send me a note when something like that occurs. 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Admin
On 7/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, Greg said:

Just so everyone is aware, I've pruned the spammer accounts, and we're down to about 10K accounts (most are dormant). 

After pruning I initiated a recount of everyone's badge counts.

This should correct most of the "RARE" badge issues that were cropping up before.