At what age did you know that your parent was a "person"? At what age did you realize that your child was an "adult"?

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

yeas, well,  one could afford to be that unconcerned in the midst of the post war American boom

but now it is a question of survival, if you don't have the money, you don't have any freedom at all

it's not that I am driven to make money for its own sake, Canada is just astronomically expensive now

I've just learned how to live the champagne lifestyle on a brown ale budget.

All you've got on your deathbed is your memories anyway.

You can't take anything with you when you go.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now, we don't have children, but I have stepbrothers who are almost twenty years younger than me

I've always seen them as persons, but what I found in the end was that I really didn't like those persons

I don't think they see me as a real person, they are the ultimate Millennial narcissists

the world revolves around them, other people are just there to facilitate them

if they were ever challenged to think about the  bigger picture, they lashed out and threw a tantrum

eventually I was just like, okay, whatever, you're not needed on the team then, have a nice life

Edited by Dougie93

As a child, every television show told me that my great-great-great-grand-parents were monkeys. Today, our children are corraled by "adults" who play games with the souls of children --- who devote their lives believing and unwittingly teaching idiotic science-fiction disinformation cartoons to children.  

On 6/20/2021 at 2:45 AM, August1991 said:

Charles, you entirely miss the point.

I am suggesting that your point is much more meaningful within the context of the extended family and the cycle of life. 

I realized my parents were just regular people when I spent time with my grand-mother alone under her roof.  After being forced into marriage to an asshole, she was a widow at the age of 18 years.  An only child, her daughter did everything possible to keep us apart.  My mother still believes most of what she sees on television to be true.  She is now reduced to a child-like state.   My great-grand-parents did not celebrate SantaClaus nor the easter bunny nor the tooth fairy but they did teach the invisible boogey-man was real. 

On 6/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, August1991 said:

Admittedly badly worded but the two questions are clear:

When did you realize that your parents were, just, people?

At what age were your kid(s) when you realized that they were, well, mature?

=====

For myself, I was in my 20s when I realized that my Dad was just a human being, like any other.

For the second question, I have a good quote: When Yeltsin named Putin as PM in 1999, Putin's father said: "My son will be a Tsar."

Putin's old man might have said that at some time but he died a week before Putin was appointed PM.

Did you mean a regular person and or a special person? I went to a public kindergarten at around four years of age and saw many parents come with their kids just like mine. My parents were special but they were parents, among others. Could it be also a matter of personal experience?

On 6/26/2021 at 7:15 PM, Aristides said:

Putin's old man might have said that at some time but he died a week before Putin was appointed PM.

I'll trust your research. I recall reading the quote around 1999 although it might have been earlier, when Yeltsin brought Putin to Moscow. Putin's biography has changed over the years. (The person to ask would be Tony Blair: He flew frequently to Russia when Putin first became president and Russia was part of the G8.)

=====

Warning: Thread hijack ahead

The Russian crisis of August 1998 was certainly a turning point in Russian history and possibly world history. Yeltsin got rid of Kiriyenko and brought back Chernomyrdin as a stable, place holder. Note how often Putin uses the word "stability".

On 6/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, myata said:

Did you mean a regular person and or a special person? I went to a public kindergarten at around four years of age and saw many parents come with their kids just like mine. My parents were special but they were parents, among others. Could it be also a matter of personal experience?

At age 10, I was in a similar situation and I was so embarrassed that I started to cry. My father gave me his handkerchief!

=====

No, I think that I meant to ask "At what age do you realize that your children can manage on their own. And at what age do you realize that your parents managed as you do."

On 6/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, August1991 said:

I'll trust your research. I recall reading the quote around 1999 although it might have been earlier, when Yeltsin brought Putin to Moscow. Putin's biography has changed over the years. (The person to ask would be Tony Blair: He flew frequently to Russia when Putin first became president and Russia was part of the G8.)

=====

Warning: Thread hijack ahead

The Russian crisis of August 1998 was certainly a turning point in Russian history and possibly world history. Yeltsin got rid of Kiriyenko and brought back Chernomyrdin as a stable, place holder. Note how often Putin uses the word "stability".

After Kiriyenko and Chubais, Yeltsin tried to bring back Chernomyrdin - This attempt failed, so Yeltsin brought back Primakov.

Eventually, Yeltsin chose Putin. Life itself is more important than evolution.