Should we all be required to swear an oath to the Queen of Canada before voting?

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

so you see, on the one hand you call the Taliban evil lunatics

then in the next breath you are calling me a "crazy treasonous rat" for not swearing fealty to "Canada"

I don't think I called you crazy.  If an American swore an oath to the US and then flew a foreign flag out their door and wanted to the US to burn while enjoying its protections, rights, and benefits, what would you say, what would any good American say?

You swore an oath to the Queen of Canada to protect her realm.  The enemies in her realm are those like these woke-tards canceling Canada Day and the crooks on Parliament selling out their country to the highest bidder.

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

when this Canada of yours has adopted the ideology of the Taliban you just called evil

you're forcing me back against the wall

damned if I do, damned if I don't,  I might as well go down swinging then

My country isn't defined by woke politicians or woke Canadians.  They want to destroy the country.  You can either punch out and join another side, or fight them.  They're trying to destroy America too, they want to bring down Western Civilization and they've been doing a good job at it.  Yes these people are like the Taliban, and need to be stopped.

The woke even want to cancel Homer because he's sexist and called whores in his story "whores", and cancel other "non-woke" works of Western classics literature, like the bunch of book-burners they are, and some deny "Western Civilization" even exists:

22 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

so NATO Article V did not in any way require Canada to go into Kandahar, where Canada was way in over its head 

Yes the nation-building and Taliban-removing in that mission, by both Canada and the US, was a fools errand.  If they wanted to go after al-Qaeda then go after al-Qaeda.  Everyone knew that Afghanistan is the place where foreign armies go to die.

bear in mind, as an American, I would try to defend Canada from the Woke American invasion

but 70%  of Canadians are totally committed to it

the fact that the vast majority of Canadians are diametrically opposed to my classical liberal values

that's another reason wny I would not swear fealty to Canada

I'm not bound to neither, because Canada is not a people's republic

I only have to defend the monarchy, I don't owe any allegiance to a "Canadian public", that's an American concept

have you ever considered where the doctrine of swearing fealty to a country even comes from ?

because that comes from the Treaty of Westphalia 1648

that is why countries ever since are called Westphalian Nation States

if you get to the reasons to swear fealty, Canadian Confederation simply does not make the grade, it doesn't cut it

Canadian Confederation does not meet the threshold of being a Westphaiian Nation State, by definition

I could list all the reasons why, but in terms of what I am bound to have fealty to, I know Canada isn't there

by the Westphalian nation state order which made countries in the first place ?

Canada is only a Protectorate, de facto if not de jure

but de facto is all that matters when I am swearing an oath that I would kill and die for, facta non verba

Edited by Dougie93

5 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

have you ever considered where the doctrine of swearing fealty to a country even comes from ?

if you get to the reasons to swear fealty, Canadian Confederation simply does not make the grade, it doesn't cut it

Canadian Confederation does not meet the threshold of being a Westphaiian Nation State, by definition

I could list all the reasons why, but in terms of what I am bound to have fealty to, I know Canada isn't there

by the Westphalian nation state order which made countries in the first place ?

Canada is only a Protectorate, de facto if not de jure

but de facto is all that matters when I am swearing an oath that I would kill and die for, facta non verba

Canada is a de jure nation state but the public don’t seem to understand what is necessary to maintain that.  We have offloaded much of that responsibility.  We forget because we are insulated by our allies, but we should know by now, especially after our recent trade wars, how fickle and self-interested our allies can be.  

9 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canada is a de jure nation state but the public don’t seem to understand what is necessary to maintain that.  We have offloaded much of that responsibility.  We forget because we are insulated by our allies, but we should know by now, especially after our recent trade wars, how fickle and self-interested our allies can be.  

people who live in a protectorate don't think of it as being their repsonsibility

nobody takes responsibility for the whole in Canada

realistically, Canada could not fend for itself, the culture of Canada is colonials

no matter how much they rail against the idea that Canada is a colony still, Canadians behave as if it is regardless

it's like your Vimy Ridge myth

that's a colonial myth

you have to "punch above your weight class"

why ?

because the British Empire was not coming to defend Canada from the Americans

this incited great insecurity amongst the expatriate Britons of Canada

so they felt like they had to prove themselves, prove that they were not Americans

this is deeply ingrained in the culture

but not being an American,  is not an identity, it is the lack thereof

now, I've poured over my great granfather's diary from the Great War

there are exactly three pages dedicated to Vimy Ridge

it's hard to read some of his handwriting, but I get the just of it

in real time he is not celebrating, it's not the great event the myth makes it out to be

the purpose of all these attacks was to breach the German lines

and basically all he says is that he won't be home anytime soon, because the Germans are defending in depth

it wasn't actually a victory, they didn't win anything, they barely made a dent in the German defences

things start to change near the very end of the diary

suddenly the entrees are very short, just notes, less than a page

because they are moving now, it's the Hundred Days Offensive

he says much less, but it's clear at this point that they feel like they are finally winning

the main theme is that the Americans have arrived, so the Germans are done for now

should note tho, at no point in this diary does he ever write the word "Canadian"

"Canadian" does not appear anywhere in the diary

when he writes "we" he means "British"

to him, he is British, Canada is Britain, he's not fighting for Ottawa, he's fighting for George V

the King is mentioned several times, the government of Canada is never mentioned

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

should note tho, at no point in this diary does he ever write the word "Canadian"

"Canadian" does not appear anywhere in the diary

when he writes "we" he means "British"

to him, he is British, Canada is Britain, he's not fighting for Ottawa, he's fighting for George V

the King is mentioned several times, the government of Canada is never mentioned

I don't doubt that.  The Canada of my childhood in the 70's was much more British than it is today, but the scenes of WW1 battlefields in the Senate Chamber and the construction of the Peace Tower and Vimy Memorial in France are important symbols of the blood, sweat, and sacrifice of millions of Canadians.  WW2, Korea, Afghanistan, Bosnia, etc. are significant because they represent a focused national effort to fight for what were deemed to be national values.  Once these were hard to differentiate from British values.  In some ways they still are, but Canadians more than earned the right to chart their own course and strive to meet their own national goals.  I think St. Laurent, Pearson, Pierre Trudeau, Mulroney, and most PM's understood the importance of national interests, but even Pierre, whose face is probably most associated with defining a Canada apart from its colonial roots and American influence, abdicated some of this responsibility by shrinking the military.  Justin Trudeau doesn't seem to grasp just how dangerous it is to cater to Quebec's attempts to prevent the federal government from offering bilingual services or to throw more money at non-taxpaying Indigenous bands.  He doesn't understand that by signing on with UNDRIP Canada is giving up her sovereignty and literally turning Canada into a sub-national jurisdiction of the corrupt and dictator-riddled United Nations.  I'm not sure Canada will survive Justin's reckless need to say yes to every special interest's demand. 

Whether or not you support Confederation or the idea of Canada as a truly independent country representing distinct national values, the facts on the ground are indicating that our federal government is too beholden to China, the United States, Quebec, Indigenous associations, and radical environmentalists to be of much good national purpose.  Essentially, it's become a self-serving superfluous expense to taxpayers. 

I used to think CBC journalism was pretty objective and research-based.  I used to enjoy passionate Hockey Night in Canada commentary from the most experienced names in the sport.  I stopped tuning in but continue to contribute towards its 1.5 billion dollar budget.  How many other "national" expenditures fall into that category?  It's frightening that our feds can fund strange international projects like the Wuhan bio weapon lab and allow Chinese bio weapon "researchers" into our centres of learning.  Of course without public input and oversight, after a worldwide pandemic that has killed millions, after any national security breaches that would matter have already happened, the feds are refusing to turn over records about that dubious project, using "national security" as the excuse.  I don't trust the federal Liberals, but I'm not sure that the Liberals can be separated from federal government institutions in general.  Sadly, I think the public are too distracted and brainwashed to bring the necessary scrutiny to this and other unaccountable federal pet projects.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I don't doubt that.  The Canada of my childhood in the 70's was much more British than it is today,

I remember it well, and there was no problem really

there was no shame of being a Dominion of Britain

there was an understanding that British was not a Race, British was not a place, British was a worldwide franchise

British did not mean English, nor Scots, nor Welsh, nor Irish

British was at a level above all that, the Empire reframed as the Commonwealth

Canada was British, Jamaica was British, Hong Kong was British, the sun never set upon the British

that Canada was part of all that,  was not viewed as being a shame nor a crime, as it is now

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

I remember it well, and there was no problem really

there was no shame of being a Dominion of Britain

there was an understanding that British was not a Race, British was not a place, British was a worldwide franchise

British did not mean English, nor Scots, nor Welsh, nor Irish

British was at a level above all that, the Empire reframed as the Commonwealth

Canada was British, Jamaica was British, Hong Kong was British, the sun never set upon the British

that Canada was part of all that,  was not viewed as being a shame nor a crime, as it is now

Either we stand up for Canada and get behind the British as key Commonwealth members or we might as well let Confederation fall apart.  We have the internationally competitive city-states.  Toronto is growing faster than any North American city and will likely overtake Los Angeles by the 2050's.  From my angle in the GTA that trajectory is clear and strong.  I'm not sure whether we'll stay in Canada, end up as a U.S. city, or become an independent city-state.  Ontario certainly has the power and gravitas to be her own country.  I'd like to think that Canada is a country worth defending and improving, but her own government, elected by Canadians, won't do it...

frankly, without the British identity, Canada has become a very small, parochial & ignorant place

Canadians are not worldly as they fancy themselves to be

Canadians were part of the world when Canada was British

the Post National Sate of Canada is a fearful, misapprehended & rather sad little place now

Canada used to embrace the world, now Canada spends its time trying to keep the world at bay

a Potemkin Village which can only survive if it is protected from the truth of things

a Canada which literally invokes thought crime, in desperation to keep its rubes down on the farm

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

I'd like to think that Canada is a country worth defending and improving, but her own government, elected by Canadians, won't do it...

like my great grandfather before me, I defend the Glorious Revolution of 1688

when Canada was a bulwark for the Enlightenment & associated Orange Order, Canada was worth defending

now that Canada has become diametrically opposed to that age of reason, Canada has become the enemy

11 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

frankly, without the British identity, Canada has become a very small, parochial & ignorant place

Canadians are not worldly as they fancy themselves to be

Canadians were part of the world when Canada was British

the Post National Sate of Canada is a fearful, misapprehended & rather sad little place now

Canada used to embrace the world, now Canada spends its time trying to keep the world at bay

a Potemkin Village which can only survive if it is protected from the truth of things

a Canada which literally invokes thought crime, in desperation to keep its rubes down on the farm

Pierre Trudeau would've said "f you" to this predicament.  He would've said that Canada supersedes all sub-national jurisdictions and foreign powers, including Britain and the U.S..  I didn't agree with all of his policies, but no one could deny his passion for and pride in Canada, as well as his personal strength.  Mulroney, Chretien, and Harper brought their own strengths and weaknesses to the table but largely upheld Canada.  I don't think Justin is up to the task.  He has undermined Canada and I'm not sure there's enough left to salvage. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

Pierre Trudeau would've said "f you" to this predicament.  He would've said that Canada supersedes all sub-national jurisdictions and foreign powers, including Britain and the U.S..  I didn't agree with all of his policies, but no one could deny his passion for and pride in Canada, as well as his personal strength.  Mulroney, Chretien, and Harper brought their own strengths and weaknesses to the table but largely upheld Canada.  I don't think Justin is up to the task.  He has undermined Canada and I'm not sure there's enough left to salvage. 

well, the change is that the political elites who run Canada don't believe in any of that

the elites in Canada are running a de facto oligarchy, which needs to be propped up by foreign powers

the relationship between the rulers of Canada and the people is similar to the Chinese

you can have everything in Canada, except political freedom

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, Canada will provide for the first three levels

if you have enough money you can buy your way into level four

but he fifth level of need, Self Actualization, that has been decapitated by the elites

most Canadians spend most of their time trying to fulfill the first three levels of need, so they don't notice

most Canadians don't have the time nor wherewithal to self actualize, because the elites keep them desperate

Maslows-Hierarchy-of-Needs.jpg

there was a time when the Canadian Forces was a little pocket of Canada where you could self actualize

there was mission command, you were given a mission, you decided how to execute by the commander's intent

just like the recruiting posters said, you could be all you could be, you could be truly excellent

this is why we say it was a privilege & honour to serve

when you got back to civilian life, you realized it was just a bunch of zombies lining up to get coffee Tim Horton's

I mean, I have done very well for myself, applying what I was taught at Battleschool

but most Canadians never even think to take it there, they are just lined up at TIm Horton's, waiting patiently

so be it, it's not a republic, I don't owe those people anything, I am not bound to have any fealty to them

this is the great advantage of living in Canada as opposed to America

because the moment I step back into the republic, America is my problem, I have to do something about it

while I am here under the rule of the British Crown, I am only bound to obey the law and pay my taxes

the problem for me is, the only states worth going to are Red States

Florida, Texas, Tennessee, South Carolina

but my wife refuses to live there, she's all Canadian girl, the rednecks of Dixie terrify her

she will only go to a Blue State

so that's just out of the frying pan into the fire

might as well stay in Canada rather than go to Boston, Boston would be the worst of both worlds

at the end of the day, I am not hard done by

I got the girl, I got the money, I got it all

I've even got the guns, it's not like Canada actually bans owning guns, they just make it a pain in the ass

when it comes to politics, my concern is honestly for those men without the means

I am not pulling the drawbridge up behind me, I'm trying to pass on the means of success in life

it is those without the means who are going to be crushed in the end by the Liberal Party of Canada

at the same time, you can't save people from themselves

most Canadians are so ignorant of history, the story of their people, they don't even know what their interests are

most Canadians internalize the interests of the Liberal Party of Canada oligarchy as if it was mother's milk

you can lead a Canadian to water, but you can't make him drink

Sad that the value of being in Canada has become solely economic for many Canadians.  Some native-born Canadians used to complain that this was the attitude of most immigrants, especially from countries that don’t share western values.  It says a lot about how alienated Canadians feel from government and how much pride people are losing in the idea of Canada as something greater than the sum of its parts.  This is a fairly recent phenomenon, I think.  Troubling.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Sad that the value of being in Canada has become solely economic for many Canadians.  Some native-born Canadians used to complain that this was the attitude of most immigrants, especially from countries that don’t share western values.  It says a lot about how alienated Canadians feel from government and how much pride people are losing in the idea of Canada as something greater than the sum of its parts.  This is a fairly recent phenomenon, I think.  Troubling.  

I none the less hold to my oath to defend Elizabeth Windsor

it's not all about the money, it's just not about a people's republic neither

I remain a Loyalist to the founding of my actual nation

Canadian Confederation is just a Confederation, an agreement, for which you have to pay a fee to live within

as I have said before, Canada is not a metaphysical thing, Canada is merely a bureaucracy

the metaphysical begins at House of Orange, Dieu et mon droit, Nec Aspera Terrent

that the average Canadian has no idea what that means, doesn't sway me from the story of my people

quite sure my great grandfather would be proud of what I have achieved, that's all that matters really

Cuidich 'n Righ

On 6/22/2021 at 6:19 PM, Dougie93 said:

Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 means states have sovereignty over their own borders.  If you don't think Canada is a "nation" (subjective term) that doesn't mean it's not a sovereign country.  The Canadian constitution was fully patriated in 1982, legally.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 means states have sovereignty over their own borders.  If you don't think Canada is a "nation" (subjective term) that doesn't mean it's not a sovereign country.  The Canadian constitution was fully patriated in 1982, legally.

if you want to swear fealty to it, go right ahead

that has nothing to do with me, I don't have to swear fealty to things I do not believe in

I have no fealty to the Canada Act 1982, just like Quebec, I never signed it

if the Bloc Quebecois can be dedicated to ending the Confederation, surely I can be as well