Cancel Culture . . . alive and well.

Just now, Perspektiv said:

There has been a wide ranging history of questionable stories put out as fact. Retractions as well. 

There is a reason why a significant percentage of Canadians who struggle to tell fake news apart from real news.

Nothing in there about you disapproving of what they did, hm?  You sure seem to moralize about others on here a lot, but I guess self examination is out of bounds.

Ok.

16 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Didn't you say earlier that people just prefer being with their own kind?  I suppose non-white minorities in the west are simply finding out what white people in the west, and non whites in other areas of the world,  have known for a long time.  Life is more fun when you are with people who look like you.

Me, I'd tell them all to mingle or go home.  Otherwise how on Earth are we all going to learn to get along?

Yes, that is a natural human feeling, though normally it doesn't align simply with skin colour but with tribal feeling. Of course, most of the Black people in Canada are foreign-born and would have little sense of kinship with Canadians.

The problem I have with this is that if anyone tried to make a 'white only ' space the heads of the mainstream media reporters would explode and every politician at every level would be screaming in anguish, horror and fury. Not to mention the university leadership would be rushing through their expulsion orders as fast as they could get them printed up.

17 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Do you have another example of a newspaper being admonished by the Press Council of newspapers, and refusing to accept the ruling?  For publishing racist lies?

If not, then your moral compass is off.

This seems to have gotten you somewhat obsessed. It's a single column by a single columnist five years ago who acknowledged they were wrong. And you use this to condemn the entire organization? By the way, the press council rejected the complaint that it was racist, and the Sun did indeed accept the ruling, so it seems you too are guilty of inaccuracies in your reporting. Of course, you are not a reporter, but if you're going to go on a rant about a reporter not fact checking you ought to fact check your report.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/12/13/news/press-council-comes-down-toronto-sun-serious-breach-after-false-report-about-goats

Edited by I am Groot

4 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

1. This seems to have gotten you somewhat obsessed. It's a single column by a single columnist five years ago who acknowledged they were wrong.

2. And you use this to condemn the entire organization?  

1.  I think this is an egregious act.   The columnist mocked people online who pointed out the press council ruling so doubtful she cared about spreading lies.  I don't actually get outraged as often as most on here, I would say, but this one did it.  

If you think I should let it go - maybe you could put your cards on the table on things you have expressed outrage about on here and we could trade off ?

2.  Again, you seem to be pretty forgiving in certain cases.  What are the principles at play for you ?

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1.  I think this is an egregious act.   The columnist mocked people online who pointed out the press council ruling so doubtful she cared about spreading lies.  I don't actually get outraged as often as most on here, I would say, but this one did it.  

If you think I should let it go - maybe you could put your cards on the table on things you have expressed outrage about on here and we could trade off ?

2.  Again, you seem to be pretty forgiving in certain cases.  What are the principles at play for you ?

What have I expressed outrage with? I do bring up specific instances or actions which transgress what I believe represent good government, as well as those that indicate sicknesses/failings of a society going in the wrong direction, as the piece I cited above mentioned.

I do tend to look into the future as to where such things are headed and you don't seem to feel the same need and so fairly readily dismiss many of my concerns on these matters as not a big deal TODAY.

Anyway, rather than discuss the actual topic of the cite you've focused on the newspaper which reported it, despite the facts being fairly easily verified and despite this story having nothing to do with the one that has provoked you and being written by a different columnist. That seems obsessive to me.

1 minute ago, I am Groot said:

1. What have I expressed outrage with?  

2. I do tend to look into the future as to where such things are headed and you don't seem to feel the same need and so fairly readily dismiss many of my concerns on these matters as not a big deal TODAY.

1. You had some pretty unforgiving words for a singer who sang "Our home on native land"... which sticks in my mind for some reason.  That is far more innocuous than spreading lies about Muslims, to my mind.
2. I do think that our culture is a problem for the future and have expressed disunity as our #1 problem.  The answer, to me, is for members of "the" public to behave with restraint and acknowledge that outrage should be the exception rather than the rule.  

I think our institutions and public intellectuals should be held to account above all.  We have simply decided to excuse them based on tribal loyalties.  When I see ostensible moralists excuse the press and public speakers then it makes me sad.

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. You had some pretty unforgiving words for a singer who sang "Our home on native land"... which sticks in my mind for some reason.  That is far more innocuous than spreading lies about Muslims, to my mind.
2. I do think that our culture is a problem for the future and have expressed disunity as our #1 problem.  The answer, to me, is for members of "the" public to behave with restraint and acknowledge that outrage should be the exception rather than the rule.  

Disunity is a function of people not feeling connected. This is not merely an ideological view of left vs right. The person very nicely represented to aspects of this disunity: the lack of proper integration of immigrants and their children and the sense among many due to continuing harangues from illiberal/progressives that Canada is basically a shithole and always has been and everyone in it except white men are victims of oppression.

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I think our institutions and public intellectuals should be held to account above all.  We have simply decided to excuse them based on tribal loyalties.  When I see ostensible moralists excuse the press and public speakers then it makes me sad.

But your complaints were not entirely in accord with the facts, and what seemed to really both you is the disparagement of refugee claimants by claiming they were cooking goats. I'm concerned about the intellectual elements attacking and disparaging Canada, its history, values and heritage, rather than mocking refugee claimants.

4 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

1. Disunity is a function of people not feeling connected. 

2. Canada is basically a shithole and always has been and everyone in it except white men are victims of oppression.

3.  I'm concerned about the intellectual elements attacking and disparaging Canada, its history, values and heritage, rather than mocking refugee claimants.

1. Yes absolutely.

2. Your words.  These don't necessarily arise from the protest.  One could be thankful for a country where such expression happens also.

3. Well yes.  The national anthem being sung with a changed word in protest is worse to you than lying and disparaging refugees and making them seem like animals.  That is clear.

This is why I am a conservative, I expect and trust our institutions: the press, the courts, our representatives and our educational and religious institutions... to do their jobs.

I'm skeptical, it's true but I do trust them.  This is why it makes me upset when they refuse to take their duties seriously.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

2. Your words. 

You disagree?

These don't necessarily arise from the protest.  One could be thankful for a country where such expression happens also.

This is what children are being taught today in a world where ideologues have taken such a grip on education you have important and influential people claiming even math is racist, where expressing any pride in your country draws accusations of white supremacy or white nationalism or some such bullshit.

3. Well yes.  The national anthem being sung with a changed word in protest is worse to you than lying and disparaging refugees and making them seem like animals.  That is clear.

First of all, you are once again being a poor reporter since no one suggests the columnist lied but you. They simply shirked their responsibility to fact-check. Second, you dismiss the importance of the national anthem being changed because, I suspect, you believe you're too sophisticated to care about such things and don't really understand why anyone would. You do this with almost all the complaints conservatives make about attacks on Canada's culture, values and heritage. I suspect you really don't care much about such things and are perfectly content living in a United Nations environment with 'no core identity' as Trudeau describes it.

But having our country's national anthem sung in an international forum before a mass audience of foreigners by an ideologue who doesn't believe in the legitimacy of this country and who changes the anthem to reflect that is very much an insult to those who do. The illiberal progressive suggestion that only natives are the legitimate 'owners' or citizens of the country made by the child of refugee we have allowed in would strike most conservatives as an affront both to basic values of gratitude and another indication of how far this country's education system - and cultural elites have fallen.

Edited by I am Groot

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

This is why I am a conservative, I expect and trust our institutions: the press, the courts, our representatives and our educational and religious institutions... to do their jobs.

I'm skeptical, it's true but I do trust them.  This is why it makes me upset when they refuse to take their duties seriously.

I find it a lot more upsetting that the entire educational system has been captured by ideologues without much interest in truth or reality than a columnist who failed to properly fact-check a column.

8 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Seen Stockwell Day around since he dared to disagree that every institution in Canada was systemically racist?

He retired from politics before he publicly disagreed with that. Since then, he's worked at a college.

So the reason you haven't been seeing him in media is because he retired, not because of his view on systemic racism.

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

1. You disagree?

2. This is what children are being taught today ...

3. First of all, you are once again being a poor reporter since no one suggests the columnist lied but you. They simply shirked their responsibility to fact-check.

4. Second, you dismiss the importance of the national anthem being changed because, I suspect, you believe you're too sophisticated to care about such things and don't really understand why anyone would.

5. You do this with almost all the complaints conservatives make about attacks on Canada's culture, values and heritage. I suspect you really don't care much about such things and are perfectly content living in a United Nations environment with 'no core identity' as Trudeau describes it.

6. But having our country's national anthem sung in an international forum before a mass audience of foreigners by an ideologue who doesn't believe in the legitimacy of this country and who changes the anthem to reflect that is very much an insult to those who do. The illiberal progressive suggestion that only natives are the legitimate 'owners' or citizens of the country made by the child of refugee we have allowed in would strike most conservatives as an affront both to basic values of gratitude and another indication of how far this country's education system - and cultural elites have fallen.

1.  Yes.
2. That Canada is a 'shithole'?  No they are not.  My son just started coming home saying "we live in CANADA" and "CANADA is beautiful" so when do they start the "Shithole curriculum" ?  
3. You are seriously suggesting that a professional journalist, at one of Canada's largest newspapers, with a following was "duped" by believing online comments ?  I was born, but not yesterday.  No benefit of the doubt for that, it's too far out there.
4. It's an unauthorized protest.  A one-off protest that was forgotten a few days later.  It's not an established organ of the press publishing utter bullshit like "Muslims were sacrificing goats in the hotel rooms" for thousands to believe.  So on the one hand - a singer embellishing a protest, on the other our press falling apart before our eyes.  The latter is of concern to me because our press is already under threat.  
5. I very much enjoy Canada's culture and not just the multiculturalism.  I like how we get along.  
6. Well, you can DISAGREE with that.  I respect that someone would disagree with it.  But the fact that someone protested is not a concern to me.  I don't think anything will come out of the protest anyway.

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

7. I find it a lot more upsetting that the entire educational system has been captured by ideologues without much interest in truth or reality than a columnist who failed to properly fact-check a column.

7. Well you are bringing another thing to be concerned about.  I am also concerned about our education system, but not the wokeness part as much (just a little concerned about that) as the general mismanagement and the lack of defense against trolls.  Also the war footing to the strong majority of parents who are anti-troll is not a good thing.  See we agree on something.

1 hour ago, Americana Antifa said:

Jericho's list wasn't blank. The back of it was facing the camera.

Want me to show you the footage? 

The sheet was blank. You see both sides on the ground. 

To me, you are saying cancel culture is alive and well. Just not as bad. 

To me this is funny. 

5 hours ago, Americana Antifa said:

So how is cancel culture alive and well according to the meme?

Because both sheets are blank, showing lofty complaints, to more reasonable ones. 

I will stick to this until you can demonstrate the parchment is not blank.

Your meme is weak. Humor is funnier when spot on regarding reality. Just a thought.

I won't add any further replies to this. But will give you an A for effort. Thanks for trying.