Who will stand up for Canada?

8 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

he was a White Supremacist British Imperialist who said women should only be educated to be housewives

if the kids ain't down with that anymore, it's not for me to tell them what to think

First Amendment to the threshold of Brandenburg v Ohio, American freedom in action

And women didn’t get the right to vote until 1918.  Ryerson was the product of a society that was very sexist by our standards.  You think the female suffragettes were angels by today’s standards?  Some of them were into eugenics and ideas that are anathema today.  Hitler hadn’t blitzed through Europe yet.

Some of your Republican friends may still think women should only be educated to be housewives.

I’m sort of joking.  The way this country is rushing left I might look to settle down in Florida or Texas.

Edited by Zeitgeist

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Hitler hadn’t blitzed through Europe yet.  

the Woke are like the Nazis

I don't agree with them

but under the First Amendment, you are free to be a Nazi

Brandenburg v. Ohio

I simply defend American freedom, what the kids choose to do with that, is entirely up to them

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

The Woke are like the Nazis.

Pretty much sums it up.  Don't conform or agree with the Woke . . . . you're singled out as a racist, homophobe, Neanderthal, child abuser, etc.  Career and wellbeing is at stake.  This is the method being used in Canada now. Canada just didn't take a lurch to the left. We took a planned and deliberate hard lunge to the left.  The damage has been done.  Canada is nothing now.  

Just now, Nefarious Banana said:

Would you stop posting your emotion into other peoples posts.  Where is the word 'hate' in my post?

Learn to read. You may benefit from this skill.

You are the one who said "Canada is nothing".   i'd never say "Canada is nothing"; I'd say Canada is arguably the best country in the world, even with our faults and mistakes: we're freer than even the US, we have a great standard of living - our democracy is still strong, despite the people who are mad that they aren't allowed to forbid abortion, or have to follow health guidelines crying about 'communism' at hand.  Why would you say "Canada is nothing" if you didn't hate her?  Maybe you need to start learning how to express yourself more clearly.  

1 minute ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Again, Canada is nothing.

it never really was anything without the British Empire

it became an American protectorate by default when the British Empire had to be bailed out by Wall Street

in the ensuing years the Liberal Party of Canada filled the void with their self aggrandizing fake country

now that fake country has been seized by a lunatic cult come up from the cultural civil war in America

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The way this country is rushing left I might look to settle down in Florida or Texas.

I'm still making money here, the leftists don't really crimp my style

I don't really need Canadian Confederation in my life

all my relevant services are delivered by the Province of Ontario

Canada provides no value, it's not like I need the Canadian Forces to defend me, here in Fortress America

the federal government is largely irrelevant, I don't notice them, they don't actually come to my door to bother me

like so what if Global Affairs Canada is Woke ?  I don't ever have a need for Global Affairs Canada

the entire government of Canada is a self licking ice cream cone, whether it is left, right, or in the middle

37 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Why do we have so many people on here who hate Canada so much?    

How many times does one have to be betrayed before it leaves an impression...not just by the government but by the people. not just the military, or any other security dept. but large segments of the country, First Nations, western provinces , Quebec, Atlantic provinces, English and French peoples. Our country has never been so divided, and the people are good with that, and we are looking at another majority liberal win, it is what Canada wants...

there was nothing in the oath I undertook to Her Majesty which bound me to have any love for Canada

and since Canada is not a republic, I am not responsible for Canada

unless & until I became a federal Member of Parliament, Canada is not my problem

since I don't really like Canadian culture on the whole, I don't feel any particular love for that neither

so whatever, Canada, I don't love you, and I so long as I pay my taxes & obey the law, I don't have to

37 minutes ago, dialamah said:

we're freer than even the US, we have a great standard of living - our democracy is still strong, despite the people who are mad that they aren't allowed to forbid abortion, or have to follow health guidelines crying about 'communism' at hand.  Why would you say "Canada is nothing" if you didn't hate her?  Maybe you need to start learning how to express yourself more clearly.  

I think this pandemic has shown a lot of Canadians just how free they are, how many of your freedoms were restricted or canceled outright by a stroke of a pen,  US has more guaranteed freedoms than we do.. while ours are freedoms are only if the government allows it at the time, ..

8 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I think this pandemic has shown a lot of Canadians just how free they are, how many of your freedoms were restricted or canceled outright by a stroke of a pen,  US has more guaranteed freedoms than we do.. while ours are freedoms are only if the government allows it at the time, ..

Realistically, any government can restrict freedoms with the stroke of a pen.  The institutions and laws we have are only as good as the populace willing to obey them.  If enough people aren't, then violence is likely to ensue as government tries to enforce that law.  The US system isn't inherently better or worse than Canada's, it's just different, imo.

26 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

How many times does one have to be betrayed before it leaves an impression...not just by the government but by the people. not just the military, or any other security dept. but large segments of the country, First Nations, western provinces , Quebec, Atlantic provinces, English and French peoples. Our country has never been so divided, and the people are good with that, and we are looking at another majority liberal win, it is what Canada wants...

Well I agree it's a problem for which I certainly don't have answer.  I guess it's each individual's choice whether to support what we have, give up on it or fight for change. 

I would say the current divergence between Americans & Canadians is actually a relatively recent phenomena

the difference is Vietnam

Canadians are like Americans were in 1965, generally trusting of government

before Vietnam the government was assumed to be working in good faith

after Vietnam it is assumed that they are lying

Canadians never had a Vietnam, the government here has never dissected like that in public

the government here is not subjected to intense media scrutiny, the media plays along here

Edited by Dougie93

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

There's truth in what you say.  People give states like Florida and Texas a bad name as red states or out there individualist places, but I do wonder where we'd be without the fight those and some other states put up for the freedom of citizens.  Alberta and to some extent Saskatchewan try to play this role in Canada, but I wonder how enshrined our freedoms are sometimes.  There's no protection of property in our constitution, thanks to the ridiculous NDP.  Even today Jagmeet Singh made the inaccurate claim that Canada committed genocide against Indigenous.  He lied.  Genocide is the planned murder of a whole people.  That's how over the top Canadian politics have become.  The Conservatives are singing from the same absurd song sheet.

I do think that the U.S. is a more violent society and its police can be militant too.  I didn't like the way police used to seize property down there over simple pot possession or rules like "three strikes you're out."  I've always appreciated the easy low key acceptance people have of each other up here.  Our compliance served us well early in the pandemic as we followed the public health rules, but it's making it hard now that we try to return to normal and find ourselves without the fight needed to force the hand of government.  I sometimes don't think we're bold enough in Canada, unless it's buying into the latest victim or apology parade.  The country is being undermined, and it's hard not to think it's because of new forces at play, whether that's China or the wokesters from the south.  I think some of it was a reaction to Trump because I don't remember having these problems under Obama or Harper.  I guess cancel culture started a while ago and we've always had to deal with forms of Puritanism and inquisitions.  They're dominating now and few are standing up to the noise and falsehoods.  Trudeau refuses to defend Canada against the language fascists of Quebec or the unfair assaults on the founders of the country.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

19 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

or Harper

Harper Derangement Syndrome predates Trump Derangement Syndrome

these Woke leftists didn't just show up last week

this march through the institutions by the postmodernists started back in the 70's

by the late 80's it had already taken over the liberal arts departments of every university in Canada

they've simply become Americanized now, as the American Woke makes its power move, the Canadians follow

Edited by Dougie93

13 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

There's truth in what you say.  People give states like Florida and Texas a bad name as red states or out there individualist places, but I do wonder where we'd be without the fight those and some other states put up for the freedom of citizens....

I do think that the U.S. is a more violent society and its police can be militant too...

...I think some of it was a reaction to Trump because I don't remember having these problems under Obama or Harper. 

One cannot stand up for Canada if it continuously means being "not American".   There is something fundamentally missing if foreign (American) frameworks and narratives are so easily and repeatedly invoked to define the Canadian experience.

Why does this happen so much in Canadian media and public/private discourse ?

Will the real Canada ever stand up....for itself ?

• Like 1