Is Canada drowning in self-pity and guilt?

A man who has never been to Canada, but who has recently taken up consuming our media because his sons are studying here finds himself baffled at our attitude of being ashamed and apologizing again and again for everything in our history, and for believing every incident which involves someone of colour is 'racist'. I admit to being similarly baffled, and I live here. Canadians used to be proud of their country, not ashamed of it.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/gourav-jaswal-from-abroad-canada-looks-like-a-country-drowning-in-its-own-self-pitty

• Like 1

it originates in Canada's Victorian culture of the 19th century

Canadian culture is priggish, holier than thou

so the self flagellation is a drive to be the holiest of holies

hyper Protestant in origin, the Great Awakening evolves into the Great Awokening

secondgreatawakening-170428171856-thumbn

Edited by Dougie93

5 hours ago, Argus said:

Canadians used to be proud of their country, not ashamed of it.

Maybe we were a bit too proud, but we definitely have way more shame going around than we should. Well, aside from the shame that we feel for having the second-dumbest leader on the planet (thank ya kindly for taking the #1 spot from us USA). 

On 5/26/2021 at 9:16 PM, WestCanMan said:

Maybe we were a bit too proud, but we definitely have way more shame going around than we should. Well, aside from the shame that we feel for having the second-dumbest leader on the planet (thank ya kindly for taking the #1 spot from us USA). 

Shouldn't have any shame left we've said sorry to everyone on the planet, half of them we've opened the treasury to and paid off. 

• Like 1

I don't even think of it as "we" anymore

there is no "we"

Canada is nothing more than the corrupt incompetent government in Ottawa

the idea that there is some greater "Canada" beyond that doesn't even occur to me anymore

apologize, don't apologize, makes no difference to me, I don't affiliate myself with the governance here

it's not really a functioning democracy, I have no influence over it, I take no responsibility for it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't even think of it as "we" anymore

there is no "we"

Canada is nothing more than the corrupt incompetent government in Ottawa

the idea that there is some greater "Canada" beyond that doesn't even occur to me anymore

apologize, don't apologize, makes no difference to me, I don't affiliate myself with the governance here

it's not really a functioning democracy, I have no influence over it, I take no responsibility for it

amen

virtue signaling apologies are irrelevant

I wash my hands of this dysfunctional confederation

there is no we

Canada is dead to me

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

amen

virtue signaling apologies are irrelevant

I wash my hands of this dysfunctional confederation

there is no we

Canada is dead to me

"Canada" doesn't accurately identify this place anymore

it's more like Trudeaustan or Liberaltopia, something like that

like Burma changing its name to Myanmar

Edited by Dougie93

10 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

he he he

that's a good one

gotta be "indigenous" indeed

not that I wasn't raised to be a Canadian Nationalist, I was

even my American father embraced Canadian Nationalism

to the point where he would have fought his own American brethren in defence of Canada

but over the decades it simply became clear that "Canada" really just came to mean the Liberal Party of Canada

and honestly, how can one be proud of that ?

the Liberals are absurdist fops, the most embarrassing bunch of lick spittle sycophants on earth

it's like they arbitrarily change the words to O' Canada just to pander to Americanized Wokeness

"in all of us command" ?

that's literally gibberish, just grammatically it makes no sense

the Canadian national anthem is written by morons, literally idiots

what self respecting critical thinker can have any association anymore with this ship of fools ?

• Like 1

like I'm sorry to have to speak the truth of it, but Canada is gutless,  as they used to say in hockey

Canada is a land of moral cowards, sycophants, cronies and morons

you would have to be insane to want be associated with these people

doesn't matter how bad some third world country like Cambodia is

I still respect Cambodians far more than the ridiculous fops who identify as "Canadians"

trudeau2.jpg

Edited by Dougie93
  • Haha 1

the most amusing are the Liberal Party of Canada super patriots that demand that I associate myself with them

sorry, but I have freedom of association

there is nothing in the Canadian constitution which demands I self identify as "Canadian"

in fact, Canadian multiculturalism encourages me not to

under Canadian multicultural dogma, I would be Scots - Irish actually

mind you, according to Canada now, being Scots - Irish makes me a "White Supremacist Insurrectionist"

literally the founders of Canada are now asserted to be the enemies of the state

this is literally the silliest fake country in the history of the world, I wash my hands of it completely

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

mind you, according to Canada now, being Scots - Irish makes me a "White Supremacist Insurrectionist"

literally the founders of Canada are now asserted to be the enemies of the state

this is literally the silliest fake country in the history of the world, I wash my hands of it completely

enemy of the silliest fake country in the history of the world

I like the sound of that

badge of honor

salute

just on Canada's pathetic excuse for a military I would walk away from being "Canadian"

never mind that the Canadian military capability has collapsed

the CF has become the Vagina Monologues

it's all they ever talk about, vaginas and how they are victims of misconduct

this is theatre of the absurd now, it's so bizarre if it was a movie you would say it was unrealistic

Edited by Dougie93

at the end of the day, nothing about Canada reflects my values anymore

nothing about Canada is supportive nor even embracing of my core principles

and Canada does not even defend me, Canada provides no security, Canada is actually a threat to me now

so by the purpose of a Westphalian Nation State, Canada fails to meet the threshold of my country, by definition

not only do I not associate myself with the abominable governance here, but Canada is a boot upon my throat

Ontario is a problem as well, but actually, all those problems flow from Canadian Confederation at the top

then you have these Canadian super patriots who will invoke the American paradigm of "love it or leave it"

never mind that nowhere in the Canadian constitution does it say that

never mind that these people are cowards who would never serve in the trenches for Canada

but telling me to abandon my assets and flee as a refugee ?

they are  like the Nazis trying to deport me like the Jews in the 1930's

so instead of fleeing, I will just remain place until one of these gutless fops tries to force the issue, I dare them

5 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

he he he

that's a good one

gotta be "indigenous" indeed

technically that's an Algonquin world for the Village with the Ojibwa word for Idiots, so not actually the same language

but whatever, so long as you slap the "indigenous" label on it,  Canadians will drink that kool-aid without any critical thought

Canada as a country is a bit uninteresting but hardly anybody outside Canada has anything bad to say about Canada. 

I don't know about the latest HDI1ratings but at least once Canada was the best country in the world to live in. If it's not still the best it is one of the best. The margins between the best countries are so narrow that the order of the best countries keeps on changing. 

The problem with the stable wealthy countries is that they are often boring but surely most people prefer boredom to living in truly exciting countries like Honduras or Guatemala to name just two. 

1 hour ago, -TSS- said:

Canada as a country is a bit uninteresting but hardly anybody outside Canada has anything bad to say about Canada. 

I don't know about the latest HDI1ratings but at least once Canada was the best country in the world to live in. If it's not still the best it is one of the best. The margins between the best countries are so narrow that the order of the best countries keeps on changing. 

The problem with the stable wealthy countries is that they are often boring but surely most people prefer boredom to living in truly exciting countries like Honduras or Guatemala to name just two. 

Canada is propped up by it's proximity to the most prosperous nation on the planet and is in spite of the clown college confederation which runs it

if others are oblivious to Canada's obvious faults, that doesn't mean they aren't there

Edited by Yzermandius19