Great talkers

In Canada, according to these sources there are 24 old-growth forest areas. But the number does not tell the whole story. Some are just tiny on the verge of ridiculous, down to 15 acres (that's a 250 meter square "old forest").

Yes that much survived two centuries of timber rush leaving razed bare land in its wake. And now it's coming back.

See, timber prices are going through the roof. And that means the return of the timber rush. Now known as "modern economic activity" and "precious jobs". How many old forests are left on this planet? Sure, but it's all China and India (and Brazil). We on the other hand, are only an honest nation of beaver-killers and scorched land-loggers just needing to feed our families (and build mansions and yachts for our timber barons, private and public). See, the difference?

How was the permit to cut an old-growth forest obtained? Why, with peers like China, India and Brazil this country haven't been able to protect them, after two centuries of timber rush and counting? Why cannot governments interfere?

But great talking is going on, unhindered and unhinged. What if we fix child poverty? And the climate too (and clean drinking water, maybe). How would a high-speed train network operate in Canada (high-speed trains ARE running in Vietnam). And how we would defeat the next pandemic!

Chit-chat, chit-chat great talking by great talkers. Possibly, champions of the world (in talking). Are we what we say - or what we do, have done and accomplished? Now, where's that mirror?

Edited by myata

Deforesting does conflict a little with the urgent need to de-carbonize. But, as long as we pay any fees and taxes for that, it will be ok.   /s

"We stand on guard for thee". But only to the highest bidder. And now that we've made our bed with the Chinese, whom have no regulations nor do they care for anything, but the money - it's bye bye, Boreal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, myata said:

In Canada, according to these sources there are 24 old-growth forest areas. But the number does not tell the whole story. Some are just tiny on the verge of ridiculous, down to 15 acres (that's a 250 meter square "old forest").

Yes that much survived two centuries of timber rush leaving razed bare land in its wake. And now it's coming back.

See, timber prices are going through the roof. And that means the return of the timber rush. Now known as "modern economic activity" and "precious jobs". How many old forests are left on this planet? Sure, but it's all China and India (and Brazil). We on the other hand, are only an honest nation of beaver-killers and scorched land-loggers just needing to feed our families (and build mansions and yachts for our timber barons, private and public). See, the difference?

How was the permit to cut an old-growth forest obtained? Why, with peers like China, India and Brazil this country haven't been able to protect them, after two centuries of timber rush and counting? Why cannot governments interfere?

But great talking is going on, unhindered and unhinged. What if we fix child poverty? And the climate too (and clean drinking water, maybe). How would a high-speed train network operate in Canada (high-speed trains ARE running in Vietnam). And how we will defeat the next pandemic!

Chit-chat, chit-chat great talking by great talkers. Possibly champions of the world (in talking). Are we what we say - or what we do, have done and accomplished? Now, where's that mirror?

I agree.  There’s more than enough second and third generation forest to cut.  I think it’s time to take stock of what we want to preserve.  That might make us treat our available  resources differently.  They should be prioritized for Canadians and sustainable.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

22 minutes ago, myata said:

That pretty much summarizes it. And to heck with the mirror.

"Bye bye, Boreal,

you're on the way to Montreal,

then ship you off to a place called Bejing,

oh why of why did liberals, allow this sin?"

New folk song I wrote   ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think it’s time to take stock of what we want to preserve.  That might make us treat our available  resources differently.  They should be prioritized for Canadians and sustainable.  

It certainly worth a few panel discussions, maybe even a private member bill! By the way, the government in BC is NDP if my recollection is correct. So much for together and forever under a green forest pine. It's not by an accident that there's common root in politics and real-politik.

17 minutes ago, myata said:

Need-further-studies while logging is going on. Such a great nation, of talkers. And when there remains the last block of 250 m "old forest" (3% of old-growth forests remain in BC) proudly show it to the world as a token of staunch commitment and great resolve. Life is good, approvals are soaring and who's giving a darn what's left to protect when it comes into effect? Oh yes, we so stood on guard for thee!

24 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

TBH, "Timber Rush" has only done a fraction of the damage that the plague of mountain pine beetles has. At least that's the case here in BC. The mountains are a wasteland.

Right, right all goes in circles in this world (as it should). Cut forests, burn oil -> temperature raises, fewer forests more beetles, and so on. Why did Heavens punish us, we're only doing that it told us, multiply, devour and burn anything and everything in our sight.

Ummmmmmm.....?

Leftists make me laugh.

Leftists: "The Chinese gov't is committing a civil rights massacre against their citizens by only allowing them to have 1 child!"

Also leftists:

-"The population of the world is too high!" 

Aaaaaand when leftist idols say: "I have 5 estates with huge mansions and no trees, a yacht, a private jet and I'm gonna preach to your stupid asses about your gargantuan and irresponsible carbon footprints" you all say: "Hooray for Al Gore! Hooray for David Suzuki! Hooray for Leo DiCaprio! You are so great!"

I understand what "the tragedy of the commons" means, but I'm still not listening to hypocritical idiots.

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Like 2

Whatever the eternal failures of "lefties", life likes balance and tries to return it. Can't devour and cut for free with things magically replenishing themselves. Love to want it, even make oneself believe it won't change a thing. More cuts, more burns, more consumed, more beetles, few regrets, nobody to blame - it's just life, its eternal circle. When there's one last centuries old great pine left in BC folks would travel from all over the country to see what we had (and screwed up, exchanged for cheap and useless gimmicks). But who said it would last, that there wouldn't be a beetle?

"Researchers have long-suspected that the rapid growth in the population of the mountain pine beetle has been caused by climate change. Essentially, recent winters have not been cold enough to kill the beetle and prevent its spread throughout much of the BC Interior."

31 minutes ago, myata said:

"Researchers have long-suspected that the rapid growth in the population of the mountain pine beetle has been caused by climate change. Essentially, recent winters have not been cold enough to kill the beetle and prevent its spread throughout much of the BC Interior."

Oh bullshit.

This isn't something that was predicted or climate alarmists would have a link to a document from back when they predicted it. I could just as easily predict Canada electing its most scandalous PM ever in 2015 using the same method.

This isn't a result of 'man-made climate change' any more than it's the result of the SNC Lavalin scandal or lax/restrictive gun laws.

No. It's a result of us, collectively known as the humanity. A tree grew 500 years or maybe twice that. A guy, lumberjack hacked it down in a day to feed his family and made a proud picture. A timber baron sold 100 trees, cut 100 acres and built a mansion. Merchants shipped it overseas and made a good cut. Riches bought it and built mansions. Some went to built ships.

Three wars in Europe, countless buildings and mansions destroyed. Wooden ships abandoned and rotting, all in a century. All is fine, all will be great. Nothing can be explained to those who already know. There's only one way to find out. So be it, come the beetles. There should be enough left for us (maybe) and after, who cares?

Edited by myata
  • Haha 1

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves too.

When activists, the corporate media or just plain gullibles use terms like "Researchers, Scientists, or Studies" to insinuate that all Researchers, Scientists, Experts or Studies" say the same thing.

They don't. I have no doubt that Google would be able to find some "researchers" somewhere who said something like Myata wants to believe all researchers say, but flat out all researchers did not say that.

There are varying suggestions to causes of the Pine Beetle epidemic including bad forest management. Most likely it was a mixture of causes.

The beetle spread was in areas like Fort Nelson that were plenty cold enough to kill beetle larvae. And there have been beetle spreads in regions to the south that have always had similar winters to the ones in the interior of BC back when there was a noticeable winter warmth around the beginning of the millenium.

I know this from listening to others 'researchers' than the ones Myata listens to.

Edited by Infidel Dog
  • Like 1

Essential to understand that this is not about science. No it's something way more basic than science. Like, does the Moon exist, as a planetary body rather than a quarter-size something somehow and sometimes hanging in the sky? If yes, how do we know that? And how can it be proven to someone who came to believe that it's a ball fairies are playing with?

If the truck turns on in the morning and iPhone does something every time we click does it have something to do with the Moon being a planetary body rather than a fairies ball? Good question, carry on.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, myata said:

I guess it would be the poisonous algae, green weed covering rivers and lakes, rotting corals and such? That would make sense, anything we couldn't consume if only possible. The nature's trying its best.

I was thinking more of things like studies concerning Leaf Area Index LIA:

clip_image004_thumb4.jpg

This below is a quote from the World Climate Report reviewing a satellite study by 3 Chinese scientists:

“Results show that, over the past 26 years, LAI has generally increased at a rate of 0.0013 per year around the globe. The strongest increasing trend is around 0.0032 per year in the middle and northern high latitudes (north of 30°N). LAI has prominently increased in Europe, Siberia, Indian Peninsula, America and south Canada, South region of Sahara, southwest corner of Australia and Kgalagadi Basin; while noticeably decreased in Southeast Asia, southeastern China, central Africa, central and southern South America and arctic areas in North America.”

You do believe it's getting warmer, don't you? I assume you also believe CO2 is increasing? 

Did you know plants like warm weather and CO2 is plant food? So why would it surprise you that plant life is thriving?

Edited by Infidel Dog

Using learned terms like "LAI" is supposed to add instant credibility to the argument? We can leave such complex matters to the scientists though and turn to simpler things. Like for example, a snail and a cheetah both move so the distance is increasing, right? Then it should mean that snail can match a cheetah, an instant proof! Not claiming the credit though something like that was suggested over 2000 years back by Xenon in Ancient Greece.

Measuring CO2 concentration in the atmosphere on the other hand, is exact science and the data is available to anyone who cared to find out what is happening.

On 5/23/2021 at 5:19 AM, myata said:

But great talking is going on, unhindered and unhinged. What if we fix child poverty? And the climate too (and clean drinking water, maybe). How would a high-speed train network operate in Canada (high-speed trains ARE running in Vietnam). And how we would defeat the next pandemic!

Chit-chat, chit-chat great talking by great talkers. Possibly, champions of the world (in talking). Are we what we say - or what we do, have done and accomplished? Now, where's that mirror?

Yes indeed, our dear comrade leaders have truly become a bunch of great lying talkers alright. Sadly, there are just way too many people that will listen to and believe their fake and phony lies. Covid 19 was a prime example of this great talking lie. Just saying. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/[email protected]I've seen studies that explored the biodiversity of different ecologic environments. They compared Forests to Plains Grasslands with  large herbivores. The Grasslands were much more diverse and were greater carbon sinks  than the forests. I'm not sure on the science but from what I understood is that the Bison herbivores were key to this. We know what our ancestors did to the Natives food Source.

Just Thinking that discussing opposing viewpoints can often lead to a better solution than screaming at each other.

Just Saying;)

39 minutes ago, ThinkBeforeYouAct said:

The Grasslands were much more diverse and were greater carbon sinks  than the forests. I'm not sure on the science but from what I understood is that the Bison herbivores were key to this. We know what our ancestors did to the Natives food Source. 

The Great Plains were much larger than what they are now.  Couple reasons for this:  Many and large grass fires every year. This killed off encroaching brush.  Bunch grass has a huge root system. This enables it to re-gen after prolonged droughts and the ever present grass fires.  Buffalo eat and shit. Those splayed hooves broke the 'weather crust' on the plains, making for a better nutrient retention (buffalo shit) . . . . this was a superb eco system before the plow.