Doug Ford continues to refuse paid sick leave for Essential workers.

Doug Ford continues to refuse paid sick leave to Essential workers despite calls from experts, doctors and within his own government. Shame. These are the people who risk their lives by going to work in this Pandemic so that we continue to have food on tables and essentials in our kitchen, Even when they are sick they may have to go to work so that they can put food on table or keep roof on their family's heads. They may spread the virus to co-workers as workplace has been a major transmission route. PAID SICK LEAVE IN ONTARIO NOW.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Doug Ford continues to refuse paid sick leave to Essential workers despite calls from experts, doctors and within his own government. Shame. These are the people who risk their lives by going to work in this Pandemic so that we continue to have food on tables and essentials in our kitchen, Even when they are sick they may have to go to work so that they can put food on table or keep roof on their family's heads. They may spread the virus to co-workers as workplace has been a major transmission route. PAID SICK LEAVE IN ONTARIO NOW.

Funny that the most "essential" workers are also the most unprotected and the least likely to be compensated for the risks they take by going to work every day!

Paid sick leave seems to be a recipe for disaster ripe with fraud and abuse.  What are the criteria?  Anyone says they don’t feel well and your time off is completely paid for?  Do you have to get tested?  Does the test need to be positive?  What are the details?

33 minutes ago, Shady said:

Paid sick leave seems to be a recipe for disaster ripe with fraud and abuse.  What are the criteria?  Anyone says they don’t feel well and your time off is completely paid for?  Do you have to get tested?  Does the test need to be positive?  What are the details?

And the absence of it is the #1 reason for the virus spread we're seeing right now.

If you're an hourly worker that only gets paid when they clock in, getting COVID-19 could mean the difference between paying bills or not. These are the people that can't go on CERB either. They work in an "essential" job. 

Any workplace has a screen process for when workers should and shouldn't come to work. But it's self policing. 

We've created an environment where you have to get COVID-19 tested if you have a Cold. So yeah you'd have to get tested, and you should be compensated for it if you can't come to work because of it. 

If you're afraid of "fraud" you can ensure they share their COVID-19 test regardless of the result. 

Edited by Boges

32 minutes ago, Shady said:

There will be a reasonable limit per year (say 15 working days) and for long leaves (say over 3 working days) then a doctor's certificate will be needed. It is not that complicated and will not be subject to abuse at all.

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

And the absence of it is the #1 reason for the virus spread we're seeing right now.

If you're an hourly worker that only gets paid when they clock in, getting COVID-19 could mean the difference between paying bills or not. These are the people that can't go on CERB either. They work in an "essential" job. 

Any workplace has a screen process for when workers should and shouldn't come to work. But it's self policing. 

We've created an environment where you have to get COVID-19 tested if you have a Cold. So yeah you'd have to get tested, and you should be compensated for it if you can't come to work because of it. 

If you're afraid of "fraud" you can ensure they share their COVID-19 test regardless of the result. 

No, the reason for the spread is private gatherings.   But I’m fine with compensating time off to get tested.  That seems pretty logical to prevent unnecessary risk of spreading .

3 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

There will be a reasonable limit per year (say 15 working days) and for long leaves (say over 3 working days) then a doctor's certificate will be needed. It is not that complicated and will not be subject to abuse at all.

No abuse at all?  Name one government program that’s free from abuse?  It needs to be targeted and very limited, with a covid test required.  It should be short lived as well, ending by July 1st when 70+ % of the province will be vaccinated.

5 minutes ago, Shady said:

No, the reason for the spread is private gatherings.   But I’m fine with compensating time off to get tested.  That seems pretty logical to prevent unnecessary risk of spreading .

I actually don't think so anymore. Obviously that's always been an issue. But we are seeing lots of spread at workplaces now. And the infected people go home and infect their families.

The demographics of these regions indicate that they live in multi-generational homes. 

56 minutes ago, Boges said:

Thousands of people work under those conditions. They will not qualify for CRB because the rules are goofy. If you didn;t make much money in the past 12 months you won't qualify. That affects people who were already poor before covid, and now out of work because they only get called in rarely. If under covid you make 50% plus one dollar compared to the previous year, sorry. No qualification.

Same goes for students who graduated from college or university in 2019. If they did not make more than 5000 dollars in the previous 12 months, not tickee, no shirtee. There are thousands of them as well eho can't find a job, but they don't qualify for assistance of any kind. Not CRB, not EI, not welfare. Down the bowl you go, down down down.

Maybe that's why so many of them have contemplated suicide.

"No Canadian left behind" - J Turdburglar

15 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Same goes for students who graduated from college or university in 2019. If they did not make more than 5000 dollars in the previous 12 months, not tickee, no shirtee. There are thousands of them as well eho can't find a job, but they don't qualify for assistance of any kind. Not CRB, not EI, not welfare. Down the bowl you go, down down down.

Maybe that's why so many of them have contemplated suicide.

"No Canadian left behind" - J Turdburgla

Those aren't the people we're talking about. 

We're talking about people who have been working the entire pandemic and who can't go home and get paid if they're sick. 

2 hours ago, Shady said:

I have paid sick leave, but only for 75% of the time.  The other 25% comes out of my pocket or my vacation.  I think its fair, and people think twice about giving up vacation time or accepting a smaller paycheque.  Limiting the number of dick days seems fair as well.  My previous employer gave 12 paid sick days, so if you used them up and then got sick, you'd be screwed, or at least regretful.  

If people get paid to work while sick, they will.  That increases the spread of all illnesses, not just Covid.  Also, sick people are less productive workers - present, but barely working.  This is called "presentism" and also costs employers money.  The more sick people are at work, the more the company loses.  Having one person off for a few days is better than having your work force only partially present over several weeks as infection travels through workplaces.  I personally have taken less sick days since Covid because I'm not being exposed to every random virus brought in by people who are sick.

5 hours ago, Shady said:

No abuse at all?  Name one government program that’s free from abuse?  It needs to be targeted and very limited, with a covid test required.  It should be short lived as well, ending by July 1st when 70+ % of the province will be vaccinated.

You are on the side of rich and powerful and against the poor and powerless. Essential workers are those who risk their lives and go to work to put minimum food on the table and a roof over their heads so that the pigs and powerful have their fridges filled with food and their homes filled with luxury. I support the  poor and the powerless.

It shows your distaste for the powerless needy people because we all know by July 1st pandemic will be less destructive but not over. People still will get sick in July and August but much less numberlike but you wish a premature end to paid sick leaves anyhow. The hell with whoever gets sick after July 1st right? It should be October 1st not July 1st.

6 hours ago, Boges said:

Those aren't the people we're talking about. 

We're talking about people who have been working the entire pandemic and who can't go home and get paid if they're sick. 

Sorry sir, I didn't mean to interrupt. :rolleyes:

Of course you were talking about hourly workers who are not eligible for CRB. I wanted to show it's not even just essential workers. But you're right, back to thread.

I still look at our grocery clerks, they've always been heroes to me, but has there been major outbreaks among them? Nope. Same old dude is still putting the romaine out. Same nice old broads at the checkout. And if there was ever a place that was gonna get some, that would be it. Literally everyone has to go in there sometime.

Now they're only allowing 25% capacity. One person per household. I still don't know why they won't let them remain open for later hours. Somehow it's counter-intuitive,. Unless they want us to get it, maybe.
But I digress again.

15 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Sorry sir, I didn't mean to interrupt. :rolleyes:

Of course you were talking about hourly workers who are not eligible for CRB. I wanted to show it's not even just essential workers. But you're right, back to thread.

I still look at our grocery clerks, they've always been heroes to me, but has there been major outbreaks among them? Nope. Same old dude is still putting the romaine out. Same nice old broads at the checkout. And if there was ever a place that was gonna get some, that would be it. Literally everyone has to go in there sometime.

Now they're only allowing 25% capacity. One person per household. I still don't know why they won't let them remain open for later hours. Somehow it's counter-intuitive,. Unless they want us to get it, maybe.
But I digress again.

There have been outbreaks at Grocery stores. You don't have stats and nor do I to defend if they're safe or not. I think it depends on where the Grocery Store is located TBH. 

This is way more a socio-economic crisis. 

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

Stats? I got eyes, ears and a brian.

I hope you ironically misspelled brain. 

You also don't live in a Hotspot, AFAIK. 

DoFo said 80% of the cases are coming from 20% of Province. 

A majority of my family and friends live in Hot Spots. I'm kind of avoiding them like the "literal" plague right now. 

20 minutes ago, Boges said:

DoFo said 80% of the cases are coming from 20% of Province.

Over 50% of visible minority immigrants, when asked in a survey if they were going to get the vaccine responded "No."

StatCan says Black, Latin Canadians least willing to take COVID-19 shot

These are people who don't feel connected to a community. It's a kind of culture that persists in big urban areas.

So, what are we gonna do.

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Over 50% of visible minority immigrants, when asked in a survey if they were going to get the vaccine responded "No."

StatCan says Black, Latin Canadians least willing to take COVID-19 shot

These are people who don't feel connected to a community. It's a kind of culture that persists in big urban areas.

So, what are we gonna do.

This is actually going to be a big problem in the US. They have a sufficient supply of vaccines but still haven't reached Herd Immunity because people don't want to get them. 

If it's true that people in Hot Zones are largely spreading this through workplaces, you can easily see vaccination being a requirement for employment. 

• CITIZEN_2015 changed the title to Doug Ford continues to refuse paid sick leave for Essential workers.