Is Canada becoming a Communist state?

55 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Communist states are single party. Last I looked we had five parties represented in Parliament.

No they’re all too similar to constitute real choice.  All support restrictions and carbon taxes.  All are oppressive.  There’s no centre or right in Canadian politics.  O’Toole would fit right in as a US Democrat.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

No they’re all too similar to constitute real choice.  All support restrictions and carbon taxes.  All are oppressive.  There’s no centre or right in Canadian politics.  O’Toole would fit right in as a US Democrat.  

Name me one multi party communist country. Just because public opinion doesn't support the party  or policy of our particular choice doesn't make it a communist state.

• Like 1

Just now, Aristides said:

Name me one multi party communist country. Just because public opinion doesn't support the party  or policy of our particular choice doesn't make it a communist state.

It doesn’t matter.  There is no choice.  Freedom is evaporating.  The international consensus has decided how we’re to live.  Ford, Trudeau, et al are just tinkering at the edges.  None of them are taking a stand against what’s underway.  In fact they’re buying into and selling the same narrative.  Our society is full-blown Orwellian.  Until freedoms are restored I have no other way to see it.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aristides said:

You know who used to redefine words to suit their political agendas ?  The Communists.

So someone who says Erin O'Toole is a Communist is using the tactics of Communism.

• Like 1

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

You know who used to redefine words to suit their political agendas ?  The Communists.

So someone who says Erin O'Toole is a Communist is using the tactics of Communism.

I never called him a communist.  It’s not about communism.  It doesn’t exist.  See things for what they are instead of relying on old labels.  

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It doesn’t matter.  There is no choice.  Freedom is evaporating.  The international consensus has decided how we’re to live.  Ford, Trudeau, et al are just tinkering at the edges.  None of them are taking a stand against what’s underway.  In fact they’re buying into and selling the same narrative.  Our society is full-blown Orwellian.  Until freedoms are restored I have no other way to see it.  

Just because we don't get our way doesn't mean everyone who disagrees with us is a commie.  Or a NAZI.

Edited by Aristides
  • Like 2

Just now, Aristides said:

Just because we don't get our way doesn't mean everyone who disagrees with us is a commie. 

Stop throwing that word around.   It’s lazy.  There has never been real communism.  It’s not about old ideology. You’re in a totalitarian state that all the parties are impotent to change, at least now.  I hope it’s not going to stay that way.  

1 minute ago, Aristides said:

Just because we don't get our way doesn't mean everyone who disagrees with us is a commie.  Or a NAZI.

There's a new breed of engaged citizen who equates democracy with consumerism.

If they don't get what they came to Costco to purchase they stomp their feet and cry like the three-year old at the birthday party.

Politics is compromise and rational discussion... not grandstanding with claims that a slate of centrist liberal parties are authoritarian.  We need such people to excuse themselves from the discussion and stop voting.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Stop throwing that word around.   It’s lazy.  There has never been real communism.  It’s not about old ideology. You’re in a totalitarian state that all the parties are impotent to change, at least now.  I hope it’s not going to stay that way.  

Oh bullshit. You have no clue what constitutes a totalitarian state.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aristides said:

First off, I can only assume that Aristides and Hardner are the same person because they think uniformly.

The point you or you both don’t seem to appreciate is that our social organization today has little to do with Liberal versus Conservative or commie or whatever cozy label makes you comfortable.  You are living under totalitarian conditions that our current Canadian leaders are too weak to overturn.  Kenny tried and couldn’t do it.

You need a unified, strong organization that values freedom and will work tirelessly to achieve it.  I was never a Republican and don’t agree with some of their policies.  I’m not even sure these ideas aren’t in the Democratic Party.   I just know that a handful of US states are living much as they did pre-pandemic without excessive fear or inordinate risk.

We are not.  Canadians need to start seriously challenging our policies.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Oh really?  You think you’re more of an authority on the subject?  How much Solzhenitsyn have you read?   I did my thesis on his work and lived in Russia.  What are your credentials?

Edited by Zeitgeist

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

First off, I can only assume that Aristides and Hardner are the same person because they think uniformly.

The point you or you both don’t seem to appreciate is that our social organization today has little to do with Liberal versus Conservative or commie or whatever cozy label makes you comfortable.  You are living under totalitarian conditions that our current Canadian leaders are too weak to overturn.  Kenny tried and couldn’t do it.

You need a unified, strong organization that values freedom and will work tirelessly to achieve it.  I was never a Republican and don’t agree with some of their policies.  I’m not even sure these ideas aren’t in the Democratic Party.   I just know that a handful of US states are living much as they did pre-pandemic without excessive fear or inordinate risk.

We are not.  Canadians need to start seriously challenging our policies.  

We are definitely not the same person and you have no effing idea what constitutes a totalitarian state. We have a multi party system where we can change a government at any time, a constitution and supreme court to oversee it and override any government that violates it.

Edited by Aristides
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

You've no clue what living under a totalitarian state is.    

Do you not see how much Federal and Provincial governments have inched into our everyday lives on so many fronts?

You and Michael can wring your hands as to how to phrase what's happening to this country . . . meanwhile it continues.

Many are alarmed.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

You've no clue what living under a totalitarian state is.  You just look stupid when you say stuff like this.  

you look stupid when you pretend Canada isn't a totalitarian state

not surprising that the supporters of totalitarianism on this forum are gaslighting  people that Canada isn't totalitarian

Canadians liking the totalitarianism doesn't make it not totalitarian

Edited by Yzermandius19

There are many kinds and flavors of authoritarianism. Maybe we're witnessing the emergence of a Liberal one, like it would make a lot of difference. Security, good, health this is all for you little guy/gal just march and don't think please find something, anything new and exciting here.

10 hours ago, dialamah said:

If that's true, you should be doubly ashamed for calling Canada a totalitarian state.  

With social media, we now have the gift of a tool that allows us to confer with people across wide backgrounds, and geographies.  I have learned much from people all across the spectrum.  

This feature comes due to ease of access to large groups of people.  The downside is that it invites people who initiate discussions that are not meant to be productive or collaborative: they don't follow the rules of discourse that have been developed over centuries.

dialamah it's not for us to censor opinions, but we must choose to cut off those who argue in bad faith frmo the big discussion.  People who call the major parties of liberal democracies 'communist' are neither clever nor shocking - they are here to listen to the sounds of their own voices.  Let them alone.

On the other hand it has been pointed out that poking trolls makes them emit a pleasant squealing sound sometimes.  I haven't found that so much, but go ahead and spend your recreational time as you wish.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nefarious Banana said:

You live in a bubble Michael.  It's good that you do.

He hasn’t figured out that our political narratives are derived from and interwoven with our mass media, which gets much of its authority from the talking points of international world bodies that are heavily influenced by top-down social engineering.  Covid and climate change are the mantras informing and directing policies that are increasingly authoritarian because we live in a “crisis.”  I never understood until the pandemic, especially after our highly implemented vaccination programs resulted in continued emergency measures, the extent to which our governments are beholden to these narratives.  The Americans at least can lean on their power and exceptionalism to push back.  Canada really struggles.