Is Canada becoming a Communist state?

• 2 months later...

It has just been reported that the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has been accessing up to 33 million Canadian's cell phones to collect information.  That raises the question:  Are we living in a surveillance state now?  Would this be another evidence of the existence of Marxist ideology in the government and bureaucracy of Canada?  What other methods of surveillance are being conducted that we are not aware of or have not been made public?

In answer to the original question, Canada is a totalitarian state.  We can’t travel without paying massive costs to re-enter our country, a country that is already just as safe/unsafe as the US.  In addition to having to wear masks indoors, we must present identification and have proof of vaccination to enjoy basic freedoms like eating in a restaurant (though restaurants are still closed).   We live under a public health dictatorship, unlike most US states.   We are taking on immense debt, destroying businesses, and damaging mental health because Canada chooses oppression over the treatment of serious health problems.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Yeah but I didn't make the claim... see the rules if you are addled.

Looking at the article the key is this:

In March, the Agency awarded a contract to the Telus Data For Good program to provide “de-identified and aggregated data” of movement trends in Canada.

Aggregated and de-identified data is not an infringement of privacy.  It's to identify the impacts of policy on public behaviour so I'm ok with it.

Similarly the more egregious Harper Government (effective) surveillance on Canadian telcos to mitigate terrorist risk was 100% ok with me.  

Perhaps the IMSI technology used by Canadian police is the most problematic but nobody seems to be talking about those lately.

56 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah but I didn't make the claim... see the rules if you are addled.

Looking at the article the key is this:

Aggregated and de-identified data is not an infringement of privacy.  It's to identify the impacts of policy on public behaviour so I'm ok with it.

Similarly the more egregious Harper Government (effective) surveillance on Canadian telcos to mitigate terrorist risk was 100% ok with me.  

Perhaps the IMSI technology used by Canadian police is the most problematic but nobody seems to be talking about those lately.

You would be ok with a Communist / Marxist police state.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Let me ask you which of the three policies I cited you are against/in favour of and why.

I will simply say I am against government surveillance through cell phones, internet, computer, social media, or any other electronic means.  Once it is established there would be no limit to how far big brother would go.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Let me ask you which of the three policies I cited you are against/in favour of and why.

I support the legal system where only certain prosecutors can apply to a judge for a court order to wire tap in only certain conditions for a criminal investigation.  I do not support the government bureaucrats being able to spy on Canadians.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I will simply say I am against government surveillance through cell phones, internet, computer, social media, or any other electronic means.  Once it is established there would be no limit to how far big brother would go.

It's too convenient for you to stay so vague.  You refuse to define your terms because you know you will be tripped up.

Of course governments and police use CCTV and internet to enact policy goals and most people are at least partially in favour.  But if you are going to pick up your ball and go home there's nothing I can do.

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I support the legal system where only certain prosecutors can apply to a judge for a court order to wire tap in only certain conditions for a criminal investigation.  I do not support the government bureaucrats being able to spy on Canadians.

Ah ok here we go... 

Thank you - so I ask what is wrong with aggregate depersonalized data ?  TV monitoring ?

23 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Ah ok here we go... 

Thank you - so I ask what is wrong with aggregate depersonalized data ?  TV monitoring ?

Define aggregate depersonalized data.    I oppose any kind of government mining of Canadians personal information, communications, etc.  Once you allow certain things, You are on a slippery slope which bureaucrats or politicians will take advantage of.

37 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Define aggregate depersonalized data.    I oppose any kind of government mining of Canadians personal information, communications, etc.  Once you allow certain things, You are on a slippery slope which bureaucrats or politicians will take advantage of.

Yes, because this supposed impersonal metadata is being used to say, “People left their homes and went to other places of residence on this weekend.” “Impose additional restrictions to this area because the locals aren’t following health directives.”

In all sincerity. we are at tremendous risk of allowing unnecessary totalitarian violations of human freedom to continue.  If you honestly think this is necessary to fight Omicron, I think you’re incredibly naive.

These restrictions aren’t necessary to fight Omicron.  They’re about imposing far reaching controls over your movements and behaviour.  Your data has been submitted digitally and is required to access basic freedoms.  You are not to congregate, see people beyond your immediate family, travel internationally, drive or do anything beyond what’s essential for your survival.   That’s our reality.  If you don’t see it after almost two years, universal vaccination mandates, masking, and other restrictions, we are in far greater trouble than we realize.  Surveillance is just one piece of this puzzle.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Then relax.  None of that is happening