Is Canada becoming a Communist state?

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

That's true.  Liberal ideology is anti-military.  They live in a kind of pacifist utopia in their mind.   They are not strong supporters of the armed forces.  Perhaps this is all part of their strategy to undermine the armed forces.   Most of the public can't see it or understand it.  Much of the public and politicians have been brainwashed into accepting the liberal woke thinking.

Woke is like  Protestant Puritanism, except without Jesus Christ

it's tantamount to paganism, they have no atonement, without Christ, religion will degenerate into a terror

not even thumping the Bible, because even if you don't believe in a literal God, paganism still leads to savagery

26 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Stop what?

You obviously came late to the conversation.  The post by Blackbird to which you responded was part of an argument stating that the responsiblity for the abuse of women in the armed forces fell to the government for their attempts at integration.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with qualifications or standards.  The argument that it does is disingenuous. 

I assume your answer to my question would be: Yes, you would be able to contain yourself. 

Why shouldn't everyone else?

What makes you think it was always about men containing themselves?   What does that even mean?  People interpret advances in different ways.  What’s alluring to some is disgusting to others.  Clearly no means no, but that’s not what we’re discussing.

The military is coming apart because of unenforceable, unrealistic policies that don’t take human nature into account.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, blackbird said:

That's true.  Liberal ideology is anti-military.  They live in a kind of pacifist utopia in their mind.   They are not strong supporters of the armed forces.  Perhaps this is all part of their strategy to undermine the armed forces.   Most of the public can't see it or understand it.  Much of the public and politicians have been brainwashed into accepting the liberal woke thinking.

this strategy began in Canada way back in 1967

the Liberals commenced their project of dismantling the military, with Amalgamation under Paul Hellyer

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

What makes you think it was always about men containing themselves?   What does that even mean?  People interpret advances in different ways.  What’s alluring to some is disgusting to others.  Clearly no means no, but that’s not what we’re discussing.

The military is coming apart because of unenforceable, unrealistic policies that don’t take human nature into account.  

That was what I was discussing.  That's exactly what I was discussing.  I wasn't discussing anything else.

Reading back a little would have established that.

21 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Don't forget he was the top ranking officer, far above her.  Therefore there was a huge imbalance of power.  He was in a position where he could do whatever he wished.  As commander he could demote her, re-assign her, or whatever he felt like doing if she didn't comply with his wishes.   Such situations should never even exist in the military.  Should be no women in the same ranks or branches of the military.

But did he do any of those things?  I agree it’s a power imbalance, but workers marry managers and executives marry managers.  That’s run of the mill and it’s unrealistic to expect that such relationships won’t occur.  Nevertheless, being in combat, with its extended hours, stress, and loss of personal space, makes people more vulnerable to seeking romantic comforts.  Having men and women together in such situations is unwise.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

What makes you think it was always about men containing themselves?.  

it was actually the opposite problem

see, when you are an NCO in the military, you are larger than life to the troops

they don't see you at your worst, they only see you at your best on parade

so suddenly you are the most dominant male, and the young females are attracted to that

so what really happened was young females would get drunk in the mess

and then throw themselves at the dominant males, they would come on to you, not the other way round

this is where it just comes down to being a gentleman soldier and not taking advantage of that

you have to look at them as young girls away from home for the first time, they need protection from themselves

and in my experience, that was the case, NCO's were protective of them, keeping them out of trouble

Edited by Dougie93

you do have to have the discipline, you have to resist temptation

it's not easy declining a pretty young girl throwing herself at you, your chimp brain is definitely down for that

what you have to remember is that she is not hot for you the man, she is hot for the Master Corporal

whereas my civilian girlfriend was hot for me,  not the rank, my civilian girlfriend never met the Master Corporal

you are the Master Corporal at work, but you leave that at the gates when you go off duty

my girlfriends were my escape from army world, I didn't want to mix the two worlds

Edited by Dougie93

just like being a cop, you have to compartmentalize

remember what the job is

state sanctioned mass murderer, you kill people for a living

you do not want to take that home with you, you don't want that guy in bed with your girl at the end of the night

Edited by Dougie93

thing was, back in the 1990's, there was no reason to hit on the army chicks

we were very popular at the clubs

you walked into a club back then as soldiers, all the girls were attracted to that dominance

we dominated on the streets, we dominated at the bars, we had civilian girls all over us

frankly, I found military girls to be kind of repulsive, I like a girly girl, I was never into tomboys

Edited by Dougie93

thinking of the best female infanteer I ever had under my command

I remember her name, but I won't post it

the thing that made her good, was that she was big

she was pretty girl, very attractive face, but she was the ultimate tomboy

she had size to her, she was big farm girl who grew up working on the farm

the main problem with females is that they collapsed under the weight of the rucksack

they just didn't have the muscle mass to carry 100 + lbs indefinitely

but there were exceptions, and it was just the size of the girl, a man sized girl could carry the weight

the girls that could carry the weight, didn't have any need to make excuses for themselves

Edited by Dougie93

I am none the less morally opposed to employing females in the close combat role

reason being, close combat means what it says

you will close to bayonet range, you will come to a desperate fight at the breach, hand to hand

females simply don't stand a chance

no matter how fit she is, no matter how much of a tomboy,

she stands no chance at bayonet range against a male fighting for his life

it is immoral in my opinion, to send girls to their deaths without a fighting chance

and to cripple the close combat teams effectiveness therein

you'll get the girls killed, you'll get the guys killed trying to save them

and you will lose the battle by those means

can she beat you in a street fight ? No chance

a trench fight is just a street fight with bayonets

you have to overpower that man, fighting for his life with all he has, and stick the knife in him

evolutionary biology is on his side, a female will not prevail

Edited by Dougie93
  • Thanks 2

I'm not at all opposed to females serving in the military mind you

but female infanteers is anti science

infantry is all about the male dominance hierarchy, on many levels

you need the dominant males in your society to close with and destroy, and evolutionary biology shall prevail

only the strong will survive, only the truly elite will prevail, point blank in a trench fight

it's like I am an old man now, fiftysomething

I couldn't handle the front lines now, that's a young man's game

is that "ageism" ?

no, we're talking about the infantry here, just win, baby

because if you lose, the forces of darkness will overrun you and everybody that you love

Edited by Dougie93

17 hours ago, blackbird said:

I disagree.  Working for Amazon is far better than living off taxpayers on the government dole and far better than the slave wages of the millions of workers in many other countries. 

AND by buying crap from Amazon, you freely take advantage of our western slaves, who don't have time to go to a proper restroom and have to piss in bottles because they can't make their quotas otherwise!

The world is not a perfect place and America and Canada are among the best places in the world to live and work, even if the job is not the best-paying. 

Empires are never perfect places...except for the ruling classes to gain most of the benefits. Even working classes were only allowed to advance into the 'middle class' range for a relatively short period of time after WWII - and which ended by 80's, when outsourcing production to foreign, cheap labour havens and the shifting of the tax burden from the "job creators" onto the middle and working classes became the norm, pretty much has gutted all of the gains made at the start of the post-war years. But after the end of the "threat" of communism, capitalist leaders feel they no longer have any need to curb or reign in their greed and demand for more and more profits! 

Nobody is guaranteed to be paid at a high level, but everyone is guaranteed they can take training and leave the job and find a better-paying one.  People are free to move to a place and try to find better pay.  There is no right to have high paying jobs in a free and democratic society.  But there is freedom to quit and go somewhere else and try to get a better job.

No shit Sherlock! "Nobody is guaranteed to be paid at a high level!" Well I wouldn't say "nobody" since the sons and daughters of CEO's have lots of guarantees in life...starting with the best education....and if they are too stupid to benefit from that, the old man still has to find some way to occupy the time of their deadbeat sons .... like Hunter Biden.... to make it look like the next generation is competent and actually a productive member of society! 

Is job training guaranteed? Or just if the student is willing and able to pay out a king's ransom and mortgage the rest of their lives for a university degree! 

And, we're free to move....well, I guess that's slightly better than feudal days. But during feudal times, the lords had an obligation to provide for all of their serfs and household staff during hard times. While the capitalist can just declare bankruptcy, close the mill and reopen somewhere else. Who really has freedom to move in today's globalized free trade world? People are met with immigration and entry restrictions, while capital and even most finished products are 'free' to move across borders with no taxes and duties! Now that's real freedom!

And it needs to be noted that the 'poor' living in the colonies are not improving their lives through this international system of exploitation either! The leaders act as compensated point men for foreign capital and industries to move in, set up dirty industries with no safety...let alone environmental standards, and make sure that laws are set in place to criminalize workers who try to organize and bargain collectively with their employers....forming unions in other words is forbidden in capitalist paradise!

In poor nations in Africa, Latin America and Asia, the people were living better before "civilization" arrived! Previously, their environments weren't toxic and polluted, they could drink clean water and grow quality foods for their own needs and sell off a surplus in good seasons to buy or trade for needs they didn't produce themselves. This was actually the life my father grew up with down east....so even in Canada and the US, it wasn't much more than 100 years ago, when the majority of people lived on small farms that had a little of everything and were not specialized....they were already doing what the "permaculture" organic gardeners talk about doing now...as if it's something nobody ever thought of before!

BUT, all of this ended when their governments discovered capitalism...often at the point of a gun, or were carefully recruited by foreign colonialists who hand-picked a few locals and educated them in London or Paris or other universities of the Empire, where the future leaders of the colonies (after theoretical independence) would apply the same capitalist exploitive tactic that England pioneered over 2 centuries previously: Clearing The Commons! 

Regardless of the rightwing horseshit we are served up by both conservative and liberal propagandists, the majority of societies prior to the age of industrialization had large peasant farming populations which cooperated closely with their neighbors....communal agriculture in other words! Nobody could get rich this way! And their worst exploitation came from feudal ruling systems that rose up, with an entitled noble class of hereditary rulers who exploited the peasants and used the threat of invasion and war to keep them paying an onerous burden in tribute to their feudal rulers.

Nevertheless, when feudalism started breaking down and the new, city-based ruling classes started taking power, and needing bodies to do simplified grunt work in the dirty, dangerous mills they were building in the cities, which replaced the middle skilled trades classes, peasants had to be forced off the land to take hellish jobs working in slavery conditions and hardly being able to afford the most meager low quality foods available to buy at the markets. And this system that started in England over 200 years ago is still slowly unending life around the world today...now focusing on the places left behind before...like Haiti. 

So, in our brave new world today, with declining resources and livable environments, the system of international exploitation that Amazon and Walmart and so many other corporations have benefited from, is closing in on itself! If all of our lives are poorer and more precarious in the future, I'm glad it will be so for the rich also! Except if there is an actual faint hope that Elon and Bill and Mark and the rest of the grifter gang can turn their dreams of escaping the hell they have turned this earth into, and flying to Mars...where they presumably can do it all over again! 

I certainly don't believe their space dreams are even remotely possible, but their attempts to escape the damage they've done are more evidence that know their greed and avarice and unwillingness to work towards good, as doomed life on planet earth in a matter of decades or certainly less than 2 centuries at the most! It may be slight consolation, but knowing that the evil psychopaths who have forced capitalism upon us, can't escape the harms it has caused with all their money and power, is at least slight consolation. Nobody wants to see the terrorists escape the ship they have sunk!

at the end of the day Canada is an American protectorate

and the American Empire is in decline

so these doomsday cults, like the Woke, those are a symptom not a cause

this secular religion, puritanical without the atonement of Christ

it is in its " anomy" as Durkhiem called it, wanting to destroy itself, taking all the institutions with it

they actually started destroying the military first, years ago, that's why I turned my kit in

but now it is consuming Canada, it is Communism

so long as you understand that Communism is a godless religion

it's just filling the void left by a Nietzschean world, God is dead

these leftists have nothing else to cling to now, they are puritanical in their godlessness

there's  nothing you can do to stop it, you can't save the institutions

all you can do is save yourself, then another, then another, one at a time, pilgrim on the path

nec aspera terrent

Edited by Dougie93

1 hour ago, Right To Left said:

AND by buying crap from Amazon, you freely take advantage of our western slaves, who don't have time to go to a proper restroom and have to piss in bottles because they can't make their quotas otherwise!

Empires are never perfect places...except for the ruling classes to gain most of the benefits. Even working classes were only allowed to advance into the 'middle class' range for a relatively short period of time after WWII - and which ended by 80's, when outsourcing production to foreign, cheap labour havens and the shifting of the tax burden from the "job creators" onto the middle and working classes became the norm, pretty much has gutted all of the gains made at the start of the post-war years. But after the end of the "threat" of communism, capitalist leaders feel they no longer have any need to curb or reign in their greed and demand for more and more profits! 

No shit Sherlock! "Nobody is guaranteed to be paid at a high level!" Well I wouldn't say "nobody" since the sons and daughters of CEO's have lots of guarantees in life...starting with the best education....and if they are too stupid to benefit from that, the old man still has to find some way to occupy the time of their deadbeat sons .... like Hunter Biden.... to make it look like the next generation is competent and actually a productive member of society! 

Is job training guaranteed? Or just if the student is willing and able to pay out a king's ransom and mortgage the rest of their lives for a university degree! 

And, we're free to move....well, I guess that's slightly better than feudal days. But during feudal times, the lords had an obligation to provide for all of their serfs and household staff during hard times. While the capitalist can just declare bankruptcy, close the mill and reopen somewhere else. Who really has freedom to move in today's globalized free trade world? People are met with immigration and entry restrictions, while capital and even most finished products are 'free' to move across borders with no taxes and duties! Now that's real freedom!

And it needs to be noted that the 'poor' living in the colonies are not improving their lives through this international system of exploitation either! The leaders act as compensated point men for foreign capital and industries to move in, set up dirty industries with no safety...let alone environmental standards, and make sure that laws are set in place to criminalize workers who try to organize and bargain collectively with their employers....forming unions in other words is forbidden in capitalist paradise!

In poor nations in Africa, Latin America and Asia, the people were living better before "civilization" arrived! Previously, their environments weren't toxic and polluted, they could drink clean water and grow quality foods for their own needs and sell off a surplus in good seasons to buy or trade for needs they didn't produce themselves. This was actually the life my father grew up with down east....so even in Canada and the US, it wasn't much more than 100 years ago, when the majority of people lived on small farms that had a little of everything and were not specialized....they were already doing what the "permaculture" organic gardeners talk about doing now...as if it's something nobody ever thought of before!

BUT, all of this ended when their governments discovered capitalism...often at the point of a gun, or were carefully recruited by foreign colonialists who hand-picked a few locals and educated them in London or Paris or other universities of the Empire, where the future leaders of the colonies (after theoretical independence) would apply the same capitalist exploitive tactic that England pioneered over 2 centuries previously: Clearing The Commons! 

Regardless of the rightwing horseshit we are served up by both conservative and liberal propagandists, the majority of societies prior to the age of industrialization had large peasant farming populations which cooperated closely with their neighbors....communal agriculture in other words! Nobody could get rich this way! And their worst exploitation came from feudal ruling systems that rose up, with an entitled noble class of hereditary rulers who exploited the peasants and used the threat of invasion and war to keep them paying an onerous burden in tribute to their feudal rulers.

Nevertheless, when feudalism started breaking down and the new, city-based ruling classes started taking power, and needing bodies to do simplified grunt work in the dirty, dangerous mills they were building in the cities, which replaced the middle skilled trades classes, peasants had to be forced off the land to take hellish jobs working in slavery conditions and hardly being able to afford the most meager low quality foods available to buy at the markets. And this system that started in England over 200 years ago is still slowly unending life around the world today...now focusing on the places left behind before...like Haiti. 

So, in our brave new world today, with declining resources and livable environments, the system of international exploitation that Amazon and Walmart and so many other corporations have benefited from, is closing in on itself! If all of our lives are poorer and more precarious in the future, I'm glad it will be so for the rich also! Except if there is an actual faint hope that Elon and Bill and Mark and the rest of the grifter gang can turn their dreams of escaping the hell they have turned this earth into, and flying to Mars...where they presumably can do it all over again! 

I certainly don't believe their space dreams are even remotely possible, but their attempts to escape the damage they've done are more evidence that know their greed and avarice and unwillingness to work towards good, as doomed life on planet earth in a matter of decades or certainly less than 2 centuries at the most! It may be slight consolation, but knowing that the evil psychopaths who have forced capitalism upon us, can't escape the harms it has caused with all their money and power, is at least slight consolation. Nobody wants to see the terrorists escape the ship they have sunk!

You are obsessed with the imperfect world and think somehow with some sort of Marxist ideology man can create a utopia.  Well, it's not going to happen that way.  The Bible has the answers.  First man rebelled against God and became fallen and corrupt with a sinful nature.  That's why the world is imperfect and always had wars, crime, and corruption.  This will continue and in fact, get worse until the Lord returns.  We are experiencing a pandemic but this may be just sign of things to come that may be worse.  According to the book of Revelation, large portions of the population may die.  There could be nuclear war.  That is easy to see since the superpowers are working very hard in building their military capability with the most advanced weapons they can.  There is cyber war, there is economic war.  There is ideological war with agents and dupes spreading misinformation and propaganda.  We live in an open society where freedom provides an easy target for the enemies of freedom.  There may be biological war and we may even be in it now.   Meanwhile our time on earth is limited and God tells us to be converted to his Son and be saved.  That is the way out of this mess.

Oh, and if it wasn't for people like me buying goods through Amazon, those slaves might not even have a job.  They might be far worse off living on social assistance and food banks.  Support Amazon and help a slave!

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Right To Left said:

Note that little of that is the fault of the capitalist individually though. If they show great compassion to their workers, pay them decent salaries and benefits they would likely be undercut by someone else making more profit attracting more of (our) pension fund capital and so on. That is, already happened we see those who survived and surviving in the given environment.

A capitalist in a market system is no different from an animal in the jungle. No catch, grow too weak fail. Stronger competition, less food suffer. Adapt and succeed or be slow and perish.

And so, the first question any serious Utopia builder should ask themselves is, how to create a social environment where prosperity and success can be shared if not equally, than equitably? Where redistribution of wealth does not negate the incentive to succeed? Who could create such environment and how. And it's by far not so easy as to nationalize factories and in place of imperfect market system create another dictatorship.

The rich aren’t the masters of our free markets; science is.  Research based data is limiting your freedom of movement, socialization, and level and nature of material acquisition.   Totalitarian capitalism (surplus production and wealth accumulation) is in battle with Green Marxism (minimization of environmental impacts and class distinction).  These forces have taken over from liberal vs. conservative.  The new models are more restrictive and fascistic.  Individual freedom is sacrificed to the wellbeing of the hive.   That is exactly our world right now under pandemic restrictions.  Welcome to technofascism, rule by the public health authorities and social science.   Populism was the last gasp of the old order.  What is the status of human freedom in this brave new world?  I’m not sure we’ll ever be as free again as we were pre-pandemic.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 1:52 PM, blackbird said:

Actually the government allowing foreigners to buy up real estate in Canada demonstrates they are globalists.   

This is another example of your ideology being tied into a mobius strip.  The governments who put strong limits on foreign money coming in are interventionist, like N. Korea, which you claim to dislike.

Actually I remember Trudeau Sr.'s foreign ownership controls were quite strong as he was 'concerned' about American money coming in.  This is the guy who put in wage and price controls.

So, yeah, it's pretty much impossible to figure out where you stand as your compass doesn't run North/South/East/West.  I think you're just a guy who doesn't like Trudeau, and doesn't understand things.  That's my best guess, anyway.  And there's nothing wrong with that - but there are people on this thread you can learn from.

• Like 2

Communism as originally envisioned was supposed to mean equality for all. Therefore, communism has never been practiced as a national endeavor. Every supposed communist state was ( or is ), a totalitarian state with wealth, power and privileges for the leaders and mostly poverty and suffering for the masses. The closest thing to actual communism was practiced by agricultural communes, such as the Israeli kibbutz movement many years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deacon said:

Communism as originally envisioned was supposed to mean equality for all. Therefore, communism has never been practiced as a national endeavor. Every supposed communist state was ( or is ), a totalitarian state with wealth, power and privileges for the leaders and mostly poverty and suffering for the masses. The closest thing to actual communism was practiced by agricultural communes, such as the Israeli kibbutz movement many years ago.

there is no such thing as a Communist country, Communism is a one world government

Communism is a post scarcity utopia which you reach at some point in the future after the World Socialist Revolution

until the World Socialist Revolution is a achieved, there is no Communist end state acheived

Socialism is otenstibly the path to Communism

but only if it is revolutionary, bourgeois "Democratic Socialism" will never overthrow the Imperialists

for example the USSR was not the Union of Soviet Communist Republics

because there is no republics in Communism, the Communist utopia would negate the need for such political structures

there are only Socialist governments, until those governments themselves have coalesced into the World Socialist Revolution to eliminate the need for Westphalian nation states altogether, Communism has not been achieved

to put it in hockey terms, Communism is like the Stanley Cup that you are awarded at the end of the war

your team is not Communism, your team is Socialism, Communism is the prize that you win by World Socialist Revolution

Edited by Dougie93

this is not to say there aren't any Communists in Canada of course, Canada is lousy with them

because at the core of it all is the Hegelian myth of human progress

that society is on a path to an utopia, where all the problems will be solved by authoritarian central planning

the vast majority of Canadians are quite clearly gripped by the dogma of this fallacy, and associated dialectic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Marxist/progressive leaning Liberal leaders (PM and cabinet) are on the CBC propaganda station right at this moment talking their usual virtue signaling progressive propaganda.  Talking about creating an energy efficient economy with emphasis on inclusion, diversity (LGBTQ), anti racism, developing a green workforce, creating more opportunity for marginalized, blah blah blah. This will be done with a 2.6 billion dollar green retrofit program. If you read between the lines, the usual suspects in the way are obviously the white, conservative, straight Canadians.  This is all about creating division, and garnering more votes from who liberals describe as disadvantaged minorities who are the victims of white supremacy and a racist society.  The narrative that Canada is a racist, discriminating society must be pushed constantly.  White, straight shaming on steroids.  The groups targeted for preferential treatment will be racialized minorities, those with disabilities, LGBTQ, and women. They are creating 2,000 new energy advisor's positions.  Presumably these 2,000 "advisors" will be selected according to their diversity/minority status.  This is pure government social engineering and vote pandering at it's worst.

Edited by blackbird

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

this is not to say there aren't any Communists in Canada of course, Canada is lousy with them

because at the core of it all is the Hegelian myth of human progress

that society is on a path to an utopia, where all the problems will be solved by authoritarian central planning

the vast majority of Canadians are quite clearly gripped by the dogma of this fallacy, and associated dialectic

Well Hegel really identified the way consciousness and social progress takes place as we strive for perfection through a dialectic of thesis-antithesis-synthesis.  I basically agree that we naturally progress this way.  However, Marx turned this process on its head and removed the idea that we are moving towards the fulfillment of Spirit, turning it into a materialist-atheist idea of workers uniting and running the show.  The vanguard of the proletariat replaces the role of God in Marxist-Leninist ideology.  Communism has never worked because it runs counter to human nature and turns imperfect human political leaders into gods.  Nietzsche warned us of the Twilight of the Idols as those with the brawn rise up out of the soup of demotic mediocrity and seize power.  Some may do good things with that power, but the likelihood of abuse of power is high and probably inevitable.

Liberal democracy is the best of all bad systems, as Churchill said.  Humanity is being squeezed now, however, by the very technological advances that were created to improve living standards and by the proliferation of humanity itself.  At this point we have to make sure we don’t let the algorithms and data feedback systems work against us.  Technology must liberate rather than enslave.  Mere survival is not enough.  “Man does not live on bread alone.”  Freedom is critical, as without it we lose our identities.  There are good reasons for the American Revolutionary slogan, “Live free or die.”

Edited by Zeitgeist

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I basically agree that we naturally progress this way. 

I disagree, the truth is Plato's Republic, it all goes around on a cycle

but there is no convincing Progressives

so I simply wait for their regime to collapse under its own contradictions

in the meantime, I am wealthy

and thus largely unaffected by the pestilence of Socialism, as it really just harms the poor

Edited by Dougie93

On 5/14/2021 at 7:14 PM, Right To Left said:

Good point! First capitalism developed...or was invented as feudalism withered and decayed, and then government institutions had to regulate it or capitalism would have devolved into monopoly capitalism, and then everybody would have been working for Amazon or some other blood-sucking corporate vampire! 

The legend according to a later biography is that during the Depression, FDR read the riot act to his eastern elite brethren when he wanted to start the New Deal programs to build new public infrastructure and more controversial - fund make work projects for unemployed farmers, blue collar workers and even artists, on public works projects that the right spends so much time deriding and holding in contempt today. If legend is at all accurate, FDR said: I'm the only one in between you and the mobs out there who want to string you up and hang you.....or words to that effect!

I recall that back in my younger days, the liberal reforms by FDR and the smaller scale versions by Mackenzie King up here were viewed through the prism of progress, and believed that they were permanent reforms and improvements made possible by a mixed economy of controlled capitalism. It was not suspected that the purveyors of pure, unadulterated capitalism had not given up and were just waiting for a time of turmoil (like the 1970's) when enough people would back an extreme rightwing economic prescription that the rich elite ruling classes who always felt entitled to rule through control of money, would rise again and gut the systems created to smooth off the rough edges of capitalism. And, here we are!

Worth remembering that before Capitalism, we had Feudalism.  I don't think there are any reasonable adults who want Feudalism back, so if we're getting rid of Capitalism we'd better have something tangible and effective to replace it.  At this point in time I don't know what that would be.

While FDR was bringing in the New Deal, Bennett was all about laissez-faire economics - he thought that if the government helped Canadians, they would , and by the time Bennet brought in his version of the New Deal it was 1935 and people viewed it as too little, too late.  As a result, Canadians suffered a longer, deeper depression than Americans.  Useful googles for anyone interested in this period of history include 'the on-to-Ottawa trek', the 'Bennett buggy" and Section 98 - Wikipedia.  Pierre Berton's "The Great Depression" is very good, if sometimes depressing.