Do you believe that Jesus really existed ?

1 hour ago, Dowell said:

You may think that you have more credibility than the Misssouri State Medical Association, but you might have difficulty convincing others.

The last reported cased was a guy who landed as a spot on the back of a butterfly in heaven.

Supernatural should be our last position of belief in something  without facts.

When they find a God in there who hitches a ride back, let us all know.

Regards

DL

7 hours ago, French Patriot said:

The last reported cased was a guy who landed as a spot on the back of a butterfly in heaven.

Supernatural should be our last position of belief in something  without facts.

When they find a God in there who hitches a ride back, let us all know.

Scoffing at a scientific study just makes you look less intelligent.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:32 AM, Jean-Kevin said:

It is possible to do the same thing with Muhammad but the problem it is in the end of story, Momo is a pedophile guru, a war chief, a slave driver... a lot of negative things, magic tricks not very difficult to do who let I think in his existence.

The case of Jesus is :

- full of miracles 

- born from a virgin

- a guy who can die and come back to life

- it is himself god

It smells like a fake or a mythological story. Then if you look at the story of Krishna (existed before the story of Jesus) you see he is Vishnou avatar (it is god or a god), he born in a almost similar way, he is Messia awaited... full of similarities and this is put in the mythology story box.

It could just be that

1. God knew how to speak to a people who believed that gods had to have certain attributes and 

2. The writers of the New Testament were using illustrations to capture a non-jewish audience. 

2 minutes ago, French Patriot said:

It is, but that has nothing to do with  the dietary, ---- or dress laws if I can get you to look at those, ---- that were in place to promote ones own tribe and products.

Regards

DL

The dietary laws were 100% about maintaining health of the tribe. If you read the laws it's right in there with isolating if your are sick and not allowing disgusting things to grow in your house and burying your dung after you take a dump. 

The dress yes was more in relation to the gods or goddesses they worshipped. "Don't use a razor on the side of your head" was to distinguish themselves from the tribes around them who did so out of worship to the different gods

• Like 1

11 hours ago, French Patriot said:

Healthy pigs are no less edible than goats.

Believe as you will though.

Hard to keep pigs healthy in the desert. They are wallowing animals that would foul the scarce water sources, and pigs that can't keep themselves cool by wallowing become ill, and parasite ridden.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

The idea that some apocalyptic messianic preacher named Yosef existed in the early 1st century is not only possible but probable, as for the stories about said preacher in the new testament, they on the other hand are neither probable nor possible

Would you abdicate your own responsibility for your sins, a sin in and of itself, to let someone else have your rightful burden?

Moral people think that substitutional punishment is immoral.

What do you think of those who want to ride Jesus as their scapegoat/savior?

Regards

DL

I believe based on the expertise of secular scholars like Bart Ehrman. 

Godless Engineer :

"Tonight's show is a bit different in that Dr. Richard Carrier is responding to Bart Herman's Holy Koolaid interview on the Historical Jesus. Recently Dr. Bart Ehrman went on @Holy Koolaid's channel to discuss the historical Jesus and it was historically a disaster. It was so bad that even the commenters on the video were calling out Ehrman's poor understanding."

In the comments to the video Michael Champion says something interesting :

"I think people are forgetting what education Bart Ehrman has. He does not have a history degree, or a comparative religion degree, all he has is biblical studies and theology degrees from Bible institutions. He was taught to be an apologist, not a historian, and I feel we take him too seriously when he speaks about history. He proved in his debate with Price that he is not well read outside of the bible, he had not even read the early 20th century critiques of the religion."

So Bart D. Ehrman's argument from authority is not even particularly strong. I think there must be stronger arguments of authority to establish the existence of Jesus. 

Edited by Jean-Kevin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, French Patriot said:

Would you abdicate your own responsibility for your sins, a sin in and of itself, to let someone else have your rightful burden?

What do you think of those who want to ride Jesus as their scapegoat/savior?

Regards

DL

Well i don't believe "sin" exists as that is a concept exclusive to the bible bur in direct response to your question, no i donot believe a  blood sacrifice can absolve one of anything.

As for those who use Jesus as thier "scapegoat" honestly i feel sad for them, thinking one needs some omnipotent master to keept them on the straight and narrow denies them a the self actuating power of the human will.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, French Patriot said:

A sacrifice is giving up something of value for a higher purpose. It is also an admission of  transgressions, and an effort to atone for them.  It shows remorse, and was a means of supporting the priesthood who consumed the sacrifice once it was consecrated. It is in a way humerous that those who sacrifice nothing, and show no remorse criticize those who do.

21 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

A noble pursuit 

Perhaps.

I bear the shame of contributing to the negative as well as the positive.

I see it more as pay back for my own evil deeds along the way, as well as those I seek to inflict via tough love in the future.

Ultimately, I have to follow wherever my selfish gene leads me, and at present, I cannot think of a better way to spend my time.

Let's hope we can start a trend.

The world could use more payers, instead of takers, given the woes we are working so hard to bring to ourselves and our decaying planet.

Regards

DL

2 hours ago, Dowell said:

A sacrifice is giving up something of value for a higher purpose. It is also an admission of  transgressions, and an effort to atone for them.  It shows remorse, and was a means of supporting the priesthood who consumed the sacrifice once it was consecrated. It is in a way humerous that those who sacrifice nothing, and show no remorse criticize those who do.

A God cannot give up anything of it's initial perfection.

Regardless, I will take the moral advice from Jesus the Jewish Rabbi and step up to my just reward.

I will let the evil Christians ignore Jesus and good old common sense.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) "Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Regards

DL