Do you believe in a divine Creator of the universe and everything in it, including mankind?

blackbird

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

no but God does help reduce nastiness and increase decency

if the societies his followers built are any indication

No, I think the opposite is true.  Look at the secular world's adoption of women's and gay rights, compared to the religious world's.

4 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

No, I think the opposite is true.  Look at the secular world's adoption of women's and gay rights, compared to the religious world's.

the secular world came out of the religious world, the Christian world in particular

it stems from Romans 13

render unto Caesar what is Caesar's

render unto God what is God's

that is the foundation of the separation of church and state

it is not a coincidence that the secular countries you speak so highly of are majority Christian nations

none of the nations you speak so highly of, are majority some other religion or atheist

also not a coincidence

you may refuse to give Christianity it's due

but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve it

it means you are living in denial

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

the secular world came out of the religious world, the Christian world in particular

it stems from Romans 13

Yes, for a while religion was a lot more common and more powerful than it is today.  It's good that its influence is waning.  I just wish it would wane everywhere, and not just here.

21 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Bollocks.  People do that or they don't. God has nothing to do with it.

Theology is also about ideas. Ideas are what shape political movements and become enshrined in law.

Besides, one cannot simply argue by the automatic nay-saying of what the other person says. I mean, come on.

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Theology is also about ideas. Ideas are what shape political movements and become enshrined in law.

Besides, one cannot simply argue by the automatic nay-saying of what the other person says. I mean, come on.

You can if you're arguing about God.  In fact, it's the only way to argue about God.

8 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Yes, for a while religion was a lot more common and more powerful than it is today.  It's good that its influence is waning.  I just wish it would wane everywhere, and not just here.

when it wanes too much

millions get killed by atheists

God is dead is a lament

not an exhalation

be careful what you wish for

Nietzsche knows

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

when it wanes too much

millions get killed by atheists

God is dead is a lament

not an exhalation

Nietzsche knows

No, I don't think so.  it's waning in the western democracies and the rights of minorities are in the ascendance. 

Is Nietzsche like Calvin and Hobbes?

22 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You can if you're arguing about God.  In fact, it's the only way to argue about God.

I guess you must not read very carefully then, when I said how its ideas influenced the development of modern law.

When you go back and time and see the church's barbarism compared to our standards today, you need to also see the same barbarism is there, in society. In fact church, society, they are all reflections of the same thing, that is the attitude of the people at the time.

Today's church is more moderate than ever, even embracing modern ideas like homosexual union. It is every bit as fair to hold the church accountable for its historic failings as it is to hold governments and nations.

As long as we're all in, ok by me. But if we give someone a pass, everybody gets a pass. Start tomorrow with a clean slate. That's why chalkboards have erasers.

Edited by OftenWrong

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I guess you must not read very carefully then, when I said how its ideas influenced the development of modern law.

When you go back and time and see the church's barbarism compared to our standards today, you need to also see the same barbarism is there, in society. In fact church, society, they are all reflections of the same thing, that is the attitude of the people at the time.

Today's church is more moderate than ever, even embracing modern ideas like homosexual union. It is every bit as fair to hold the church accountable for its historic failings as it is to hold governments and nations.

As long as we're all in, ok by me. But if we give someone a pass, everybody gets a pass. Start tomorrow with a clean slate. That's why school chalkboards have erasers.

Sure, I can't argue with that.  Not all of the Church is more moderate than ever, but I agree some aspects of its dogma are softening.  My point is that it is not the Church that does it for the rest of us.  I would be good regardless.

4 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I would be good regardless.

Probably because you were raised in a christian society and had the good example all around you. You chose not to be religious, and thanks to our society whose foundations are based upon a tolerant christian law, you are free to do that.

All thanks to the church...

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Probably because you were raised in a christian society and had the good example all around you. You chose not to be religious, and thanks to our society whose foundations are based upon a tolerant christian law, you are free to do that.

All thanks to the church...

I was beaten by nuns.  And they told me there were no such things as dinosaurs.

I figured out goodness on my own.

Edited by bcsapper

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

I was beaten by nuns.  And they told me there was no such things as dinosaurs.

I figured out goodness on my own.

My babysitter hit me lots. My mom noticed the bruises and asked.

They said I pood in the wrong potty, or something.

I got over it.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

My babysitter hit me lots. My mom noticed the bruises and asked.

They said I pood in the wrong potty, or something.

I got over it.

Maybe that's why you are religious.  Was your babysitter an atheist?

Nevertheless, I figured out how to be a decent person all on my own.  Notwithstanding the efforts of those at school and church to have me turn out otherwise.

11 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Maybe that's why you are religious.  Was your babysitter an atheist?

Nevertheless, I figured out how to be a decent person all on my own.  Notwithstanding the efforts of those at school and church to have me turn out otherwise.

I am not religious, but making presumptions is a strong leftist trait. And their undoing.

Nuns, hey? Perhaps your school was a little different in ye olde England. I always heard about the mean and nasty teachers, who would utterly berate and punish students in front of the rest of the class. Presumably they wore their habit after work...

5 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I am not religious, but making presumptions is a strong leftist trait. And their undoing.

I think presumption knows no wings.  Except maybe those of the nut variety.

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Nuns, hey? Perhaps your school was a little different in ye olde England. I always heard about the mean and nasty teachers, who would utterly berate and punish students in front of the rest of the class. Presumably they wore their habit after work...

Yes.  To this day I have a distrust of Magpies...

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Penguins, too?

Great!  I never thought about penguins.

I guess Antarctica is out as a potential holiday destination now.

Thanks a lot! 

7 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I don't see how evolution or the big bang suggest that a divine creator isn't behind them

nothing in either of those theories suggests that is the case and in fact many of scientists who developed these theories are in fact Christians

false dichotomy being asserted here, that Christianity and science aren't compatible

intelligent design leaves room for both to be correct and reinforcing the other

Intelligent Design: the great Scopes-like controversy of this generation. That baseless belief of a rag tag bunch of Bible-thumping fundamentalists who sadistically try to pull pseudoscientific wool over the eyes of poor, uneducated, unsuspecting citizens and send us back to a pre-scientific stone age where the Earth was at the center of the Universe, the sick were bled out for treatment, and... ugh… it’s just creationism in a cheap tuxedo!

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

Edited by Antichrist

9 hours ago, Antichrist said:

Intelligent Design: the great Scopes-like controversy of this generation. That baseless belief of a rag tag bunch of Bible-thumping fundamentalists who sadistically try to pull pseudoscientific wool over the eyes of poor, uneducated, unsuspecting citizens and send us back to a pre-scientific stone age where the Earth was at the center of the Universe, the sick were bled out for treatment, and... ugh… it’s just creationism in a cheap tuxedo!

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

strawman city

many of the best scientists in the world are Christians

and majority Christian nations are the most scientifically advanced nations in the world

the idea that science and religion are incompatible is a myth

a myth pushed by atheists who want to claim a moral and intellectual high ground they do not deserve

Edited by Yzermandius19

20 hours ago, bcsapper said:

No, I don't think so.  it's waning in the western democracies and the rights of minorities are in the ascendance. 

Is Nietzsche like Calvin and Hobbes?

It was in Germany too and Weimar Germany was most progressive nation on the planet

the rights of minorities were in ascendence

then came Adolf Hitler to fill the increasingly godless void

you can say, I don't think so, all you want

but you don't think so, because you don't know your history

it was on the wane in Russia, then came Stalin

it was on the wane in China, then came Mao

it was on the wane in Cambodia, then came Pol Pot

it was on the wane in France, then came The Terror, brought by the French Revolution, resulting in Napoleon

religion waning too much, does not go well historically speaking

just as Nietzsche predicted

once you kill God, what fills that void is over a hundred million killed in the 20th century

by the "ubermensch" who kill more than the religious they claim to be superior to, by several orders of magnitude

a religious world is cushy and comfortable compared to a godless one

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

a religious world is cushy and comfortable compared to a godless one

No it's not.  It might be to to zealots of the religion currently at number one on the religion charts.

The world is full of humans who are going to do human things. It's better they do them without recourse to fairy tales.

Edited by bcsapper

8 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

No it's not.  It might be to to zealots of the religion currently at number one on religion charts.

The world is full of humans who are going to do human things. It's better they do them without recourse to fairy tales.

it's a better world for atheists too

no one kills more atheists than atheists, no one impedes on the rights of atheists like atheists

a world with less religion has shown to be a more murderous one, time and time again

religious wars are a nothingburger by comparison to the damage done with atheists in charge

you can claim that isn't the case until you are blue in the face

but the historical record indicates otherwise

if religion is just a fairy tale, it's a very useful fairy tale, and no good reason to do away with it, regardless

Edited by Yzermandius19

31 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

it's a better world for atheists too

no one kills more atheists than atheists, no one impedes on the rights of atheists like atheists

a world with less religion has shown to be a more murderous one, time and time again

religious wars are a nothingburger by comparison to the damage done with atheists in charge

you can claim that isn't the case until you are blue in the face

but the historical record indicates otherwise

if religion is just a fairy tale, it's a very useful fairy tale, and no good reason to do away with it, regardless

It's certainly a fairy tale that anyone has the right to live by, if they want to.  It's not something that should be imposed on others though.