Let's make the class system official in Canada!

myata

Just don't credit me, please - all of this was tried before often with certain success (while it lasted). For example, in the great republic of Rome there was a class of patricians and everybody else that is, the regular folk, plebeians (OK let's leave out the slaves for now, times have changed in two millenia).

Very naturally, patricians lived in nice mansions and held top positions in the public administration of all levels, paid for by public taxes.

Understandably, they had priority and higher quality access to public services, paid for by public taxes. Like state of the art hospitals with stellar standard of service run by a multi-million public CEO (paid for by public, you get it). Like better city services. Like high speed Internet in remote cottages and so on. And vaccines in the times of pandemics were distributed, understandably, through the local facilities.

The great system was entirely free and voluntary! Everybody, even a lowest plebeian could one day win a recruitment lottery, be hired into a top (public) management position and become a patrician with a nice mansion and etc. as above.

Understandably, growing in a family of patricians had certain advantages leading to higher academic results naturally translating into chances of being hired into public administrations. But even with mediocre academic results many a patrician offspring managed to get hired into diverse public administrations, entirely through resoluteness of spirit and positive attitude, and despite stringent and unforgiving hiring process (everybody else got the standard "this position received too many applications so a lottery was applied" response).

And the best of all is that the country was the best in the world. Because nobody cared (except for, possibly, bread and circuses), and almost everyone was happy.

And so, why not try it again, if it worked so nicely, two thousand years ago in Rome? Just make it official, less misunderstanding, fewer unnecessary disturbing the public scandals and down with the confusion! Everybody is entitled to their rightful entitlements, out of the common public wealth. Is there anything wrong about it? Anything to be uncomfortable about?

Edited by myata

50 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It certainly would make things easier if we just base things entirely on class, instead of race as we have done up until now.

For some reasons we have grown shy about admitting it, hiding behind the meetings, policies and procedures. Any why, what's where to be ashamed of? Whoever is closer to the (public) pie should have a greater slice and bite, wouldn't it be only natural?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, myata said:

For some reasons we have grown shy about admitting it, hiding behind the meetings, policies and procedures. Any why, what's where to be ashamed of? Whoever is closer to the (public) pie should have a greater slice and bite, wouldn't it be only natural?

How am I farther from the "public pie" than anyone else?

Anyway, in effect we already have that.  Politicians, movie stars, sports heros, corporation heads all get the lions share of whatever public taxes provide in the way of healthcare, education and tax cuts.

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

I dunno it just happens! One street gets three speed bumps and a speed limit sign every block and the other nothing at all. Both financed from the same very public city budget.

Why did CEO and member of the board get the vaccine in the first echelons of the hero workers?

That's exactly what's said, if we already have it, why not admit it openly? How long would it be till it's a polichinelle's secret?

Edited by myata

19 hours ago, dialamah said:

Anyway, in effect we already have that.  Politicians, movie stars, sports heros, corporation heads all get the lions share of whatever public taxes provide in the way of healthcare, education and tax cuts.

This is true for the most part.  It occurs because we so horribly mismanage how government works.   It is in the business of dispensing privilege, not being egalitarian.  While these lopsided benefits are available to those your political agenda targets, they are also available on a racial preference basis to aboriginals and many other minorities.

I always go back to what Sir Roger Douglas once taught me about how to do legislation properly.   In his words: "We simply removed privilege".  Instead of you or I choosing to rant over OUR preferential access to the privilege of screwing over the taxpayer, any good government would simply do EXACTLY as Myata is suggesting and things are either available equally to ANY citizen or NONE.   No exceptions.

Until then, the looney left can continue to spout the politics of envy while the radical right carries on about maintaining THEIR privileges.  Joe lunchbucket will just continue to get screwed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannuck said:

I always go back to what Sir Roger Douglas once taught me about how to do legislation properly.   In his words: "We simply removed privilege".  Instead of you or I choosing to rant over OUR preferential access to the privilege of screwing over the taxpayer, any good government would simply do EXACTLY as Myata is suggesting and things are either available equally to ANY citizen or NONE.   No exceptions.

I think we are getting close to the root of the issue here, and it is math, logic, not just a personal opinion. It can be proven with logical certainty that a system that is closed cannot be efficient and maintain integrity over time. One would have to give, and either the system would spend all its time and resources on proving that it is fair, or it'll have to create those loopholes and exceptions only to be able to function, do something in the world.

Conclusion: one cannot have a closed government system that is also effective and equitable. It is simply not a logical possibility.