The Trampling of Small Businesses

Zeitgeist

Is anyone else disgusted by the draconian, unjust deep sixing of the Toronto BBQ owner who defied the lockdown order to open indoor dining for three days?   This story illustrates exactly why people have become distrustful of the police and government.  The $187,000 fine imposed on this business owner is vindictive and doesn't fit the crime.  It does explain why small business owners and people in general are suspicious of restrictions that prevent someone from operating a business and earning a livelihood.  I just don't think government should have the right to impose such restrictions.  The right to earn a living is a basic human right. If you don't want to eat out, then don't.  Ensuring social distancing and reduced capacity is one thing, destroying someone's business to make a point that police and government hold all the cards, right or wrong, isn't okay.   What recourse does this guy have without taking expensive legal action that he probably can't afford?

https://apple.news/A7SiAcw1sRxCR3d6CmZlinA

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

They seek to make "an example" of him. Example for the rest of us, if you get any independent ideas, this will be you.

Bullshit, it is not justice.

Agreed.  It's very Orwellian and totalitarian. I can't believe the lack of public outrage.  Sheaple opioid zombie culture.  Watch another TicToc clip and have another toke...

• Like 1

It's absurd. Asking for wages to be reimbursed, when policing is the reason these wages are being paid in the first place, by taxpayers no less. Any honest judge would wipe his ass with this.

What else would most of those police be doing for their paycheques if they weren't hassling people at the BBQ?   "Patrolling?"  It's pretty quiet on the streets these days.  Maybe there are good reasons to defund the police.  I know we're over-policed in my neighborhood.  Very low crime rate and plenty of squad cars.  Lots of tickets issued to people on their way to work, though I rarely see any reckless driving.  Feels a bit extortionate.  

• 2 weeks later...

It's also absurd that a pastor is being held in jail until his court case in May. That's nice. As you are a threat to society.. you must be put in gaol. We will get around to your case later, after we deal with some stores and restaurants who did not make people use hand sanitizer, every time. This is punishment before crime.

An example for the rest of us?   :o

Edited by OftenWrong
added emoticon for effect

On 2/22/2021 at 6:45 PM, Zeitgeist said:

Is anyone else disgusted by the draconian, unjust deep sixing of the Toronto BBQ owner who defied the lockdown order to open indoor dining for three days?   This story illustrates exactly why people have become distrustful of the police and government.  The $187,000 fine imposed on this business owner is vindictive and doesn't fit the crime.  It does explain why small business owners and people in general are suspicious of restrictions that prevent someone from operating a business and earning a livelihood.  I just don't think government should have the right to impose such restrictions.  The right to earn a living is a basic human right. If you don't want to eat out, then don't.  Ensuring social distancing and reduced capacity is one thing, destroying someone's business to make a point that police and government hold all the cards, right or wrong, isn't okay.   What recourse does this guy have without taking expensive legal action that he probably can't afford?

Following the law is always an option, and usually results in better outcomes than not following the law.

Most Canadians seem to appreciate the efforts of public health officials to reduce the spread of this disease.  The angry minority get lots of news coverage, but not much sympathy by Canadians.

Edited by dialamah

8 hours ago, dialamah said:

Following the law is always an option, and usually results in better outcomes than not following the law.

Most Canadians seem to appreciate the efforts of public health officials to reduce the spread of this disease.  The angry minority get lots of news coverage, but not much sympathy by Canadians.

I appreciate and respect those who question the policies. Don't worry, government boots trounced him and we've all complied. Was it all a necessary sacrifice?  I don't think so, and soon people should have the personal choice whether to cloister themselves and cover up or come and go as they please, hopefully.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 8:24 PM, herbie said:

It's a BUSINESS. You pay your money and you take your chances. Doesn't come with guarantees.

The fucker should've been locked up.

I'm glad this guy had the bravery to stand up for his livelihood.  Without guys like that, even more liberty would be stolen by government.  

On 2/22/2021 at 9:45 PM, Zeitgeist said:

When I see a title like "Trampling of Small Businesses", I am wondering why this is just another bleating by someone who doesn't want to follow public health rules, BUT no doubt would expect full care if he ended up in the ICU because of a Covid-19 infection!

The "trampling of small businesses" I want to see addressed is being done every day by the big elephants - Costco, Walmart and other retailers who are able to pack their stores because they have a couple of food aisles in the store. 

With a third wave of Covid-19 variants coming at us, and warmer weather, nobody is going to want to eat indoors except for idiots with no sense!

9 hours ago, Right To Left said:

When I see a title like "Trampling of Small Businesses", I am wondering why this is just another bleating by someone who doesn't want to follow public health rules, BUT no doubt would expect full care if he ended up in the ICU because of a Covid-19 infection!

The title says nothing public health rules. That is your own projection.

The title says nothing public health rules. That is your own projection.

That is the reason (or excuse to you and other detractors) for the excessively high fine slapped against his business. We're going more and more the American way, where everyone's got a lawyer and filing lawsuits. 

Now, in the case of the big business, they would have a few rentacops standing at the front door with a list of questions, and city officials would just take it at that. 

As for public health, that is exactly what this asshole is a threat to! He's willing to let his business run as a superspreader event at a time when new Covid variants are quickly spreading and becoming more and more lethal to younger people because of assholes like him and the ones who frequent his business! In other words: fuckim!

Just one more example of good old fashioned god-fearing capitalism and selfish thinking being the wrong type of public virtues for any stable society to have!

1 hour ago, Right To Left said:

That is the reason (or excuse to you and other detractors) for the excessively high fine slapped against his business. We're going more and more the American way, where everyone's got a lawyer and filing lawsuits.

Incorrect. Many small businesses were following the rules but were shut down anyway. I, many cases it was done seemingly arbitrary, at the discretion of local town mayors and councillors, under pressure by loud-mouthed factions in the public. In other words, not even by health experts.

9 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Incorrect. Many small businesses were following the rules but were shut down anyway. I, many cases it was done seemingly arbitrary, at the discretion of local town mayors and councillors, under pressure by loud-mouthed factions in the public. In other words, not even by health experts.

I'm waiting for the lockdown of Costco and Walmart!  That's when we'll find out exactly who is the "loudmouth factions" today.

Of course you are. It's what happens when you think bass-ackwards.

Idiot! Still too stupid to realize that governments of all levels in a capitalist economy give more credence to the big hogs at the trough who have the most money, and can start a local panic whenever they get mad if rules changes may affect them....including if they have run out tax "incentives" to start a business and local politicos don't want to cough up more tax dollars for them. 

But, no they don't really give a crap about the actual small business owner who can't offer them much/or present much of a threat if they ignore him!

6 hours ago, Right To Left said:

Idiot! Still too stupid to realize that governments of all levels in a capitalist economy give more credence to the big hogs at the trough who have the most money, and can start a local panic whenever they get mad if rules changes may affect them....including if they have run out tax "incentives" to start a business and local politicos don't want to cough up more tax dollars for them. 

But, no they don't really give a crap about the actual small business owner who can't offer them much/or present much of a threat if they ignore him!

Insults are stupidity, and makes for truly boring moronic banter.

BTW thread is not an opportunity for yet another, irrelevant, communist rant. That system was already tried and died a while ago. And good riddance to all stinking marxists...

Edited by OftenWrong