Analysis: The Truth Behind the False and Fog of Trudeau's Vaccine Decisions

xul

In Hollywood sci-fi disaster movies, we used to see the leaders and people in the Western world behaving noble with dignity when the world meets its end...

But in reality......??

Scientifically, Trump is right on one thing---the covid-19 pandemic is just another the Spanish flu, which means lots of people will die, but it won't end the world. But politically  if there is one thing worse than the death of people, it is that the pandemic has revealed the true color of the Western world.

Currently due to the shortage of covid vaccine, Trudeau is under fire by Canadian media and opposite parties for "sticking too long to Chinese vaccine". But my question is: Is the delay of ordering other vaccines really because Trudeau only stuck on the Cansino vaccine, or because he tried to stick on something else?

Firstly, let's see what is the content of the Cansino vaccine deal:

How Ottawa utterly botched Canada's COVID vaccine acquisition

At first, Canada seemed to have vaccine-acquisition under control. The Chinese pharma company CanSino had developed what was then one of the world’s most promising vaccine candidates, and Ottawa struck a deal to have it undergo human trials in Canada, with Canadian laboratories free to reproduce and manufacture the shot.

So it would be a really good deal for Canada by saving hundreds million $ on search without needing to mention saving the more valuable thing in the world----time......if the deal worked. 

But it didn't. 

The first thing I suppose everyone here understands is: a deal means it will benefit both sides of the deal. If you walk into a car dealer's shop to buy a car, he gets your money and you get his car. But we can't see what Cansino would get from the deal. The vaccine had already passed phase I and II clinic trails in China since these two phases only test side effects of the vaccine so they don't require an epidemic area to do the tests. What Cansino really needed was the phase III clinic trail, which needed to test in a community with high infection rate, this is why all Chinese vaccine makers need to test their vaccines in foreign countries since the infective rates had dropped to nearly zero in China before their vaccines entered this phase. Unfortunately, or fortunately I mean, the pandemic was also under control then in Canada. So if Cansino stuck on the deal, it would get nothing by handing over its intellectual property freely to Canada.

After read these, some Canadian may think Trudeau is too stupid to stick on the unrealistic deal. But he didn't. I bet he probably hadn't been counting on the deal from the beginning.

If Canada government did count on the vaccine, it should approve its phase III trail from the beginning, not asking to redo the phase I and II clinic trails which would delay the whole progress for months. The only reasonable explanation of the intentional delay on the phase III trail is that Trudeau just wanted to use the deal as a bargaining chip to strike deals with other Western vaccine makers. This isn't the first time Canadian government uses this method. I remember a decade ago when I first come to this forum, there was a thread on build a pipeline to export oil to China. I saw lots of comments saying like "who cares about China's feeling". I remember I commented "If you don't care about China's feeling, at least you need to pretend to want making a deal with China so you can use it to bargain with US". It seemed someone in Harper's inner circle thought the same, so Canada began the endless and fruitless discussion with Chinese oil companies on the pipeline and used it as a bargaining chip to make Keystone Pipeline XL deal with US.  Besides, once the phase I/II clinic trails began in Canada, Canada still could get the intellectual property transfer from Cansino even if the phase III clinic trail would never happen due to the reason I have stated above. This is why Trudeau appeared to "stick" to the deal even if he knew the shipment of the vaccine probably would never come.

Secondly, Trudeau didn't stick to the Cansino deal but stick to the liberal political-correctness---equal, fairness.., etc. He wanted Canada's Western allies acting like first movie clip I attached above, by distributing vaccines via WHO or COVAX mechanism, so did Emanuel Macron and Angela Merkel, now both of them also had some vaccine supply problem.

So it seems not bad that the three tried to play the good guy in the first video above.....until they realized others would not hesitate to play the bad guys in the second video.?

Then they turned themselves as bad as the guys in the second video, by securing more doses of vaccines than their countries' need to secure their political career and left poor developing countries behind. This is why Trudeau doesn't want to explain the reasons of his decisions publicly. Because if there is one thing worse than being a bad guy, it is that a bad guy who used to pretend being good guy has to uncover his true face to the public... ?

LOL. Maybe, I think I can say I believe that Trudeau isn't that bad. I think he genuinely tried to be a good guy but finally end up had to be not much different with the guys in the second video since liberal political-correctness just can not overcome human weakness which is defined by our DNA. It's kinda like that an idealist liberal politician comes to Africa and lectures impala "don't fear lions. If you stick together and point your antlers outward, you can defeat lions." But when lions appear on horizon, all impala begin to flee. Realizing he is alone against the whole lion pack, the politician jumps on his SUV and flees faster than any impala. Should we blame him for fleeing faster than impala? Probably not....??

Edited by xul

It is hardly just "Trudeau vaccine". Remember how this whole thing began in this country a year back: "travel from Wuhan? Sure, not a problem for this system!". That's 18 years after SARS-1 and fourteen, after MERS and in both, as easy to find out, the country was in the top of the chart, but not in a good way. This is not a Trudeau system, Harper system etc it's just the system. And it long forgot how to learn and how to make sense and the only thing it still remembers and can do is "throw at us more (bi)trillions and we'll show you some moves". An old age of democracy. Senility, nonsense and impotence.

India is producing own vaccine and started mass vaccination. China been at it for a while, whatever the quality. Do I need to mention the scary neighbour to the south, with two advanced vaccines, and counting? Compare GDP per capita. Compare the pay of "public" hospital CEOs, GGs and etc. There was a cool advanced-biotech-genetics TV show how we're ahead of the planet can do this and that, look how we look cool! On TV though.

So, where's the home-made and produced vaccine? Over $1 billion of public money handed out a year back for "rapid response". We only need 250 more billions and 5 years of time. 

Edited by myata

To all of the pro-China posters on this and other threads, while I don't agree with Trudeau's approach on the vaccine front or with cuts to key infrastructure by previous Canadian governments, no one can say that the Canadian governments haven't been honest in their dealings with international governments and vaccine manufacturers, unlike China, which double deals, signing an agreement that it never intended to keep.  They got the intellectual property they needed.   China is a totalitarian country and it seems to want to drag down Canada with it.  As always, Canada has to be far less naive about manipulation by foreign powers.  Independence in essential areas is key.  

22 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

To all of the pro-China posters on this and other threads, ...  

I am hardly pro-China and this has nothing to do with pro-China but what could and should have been done if public affairs were managed effectively and efficiently in the interests of the citizens. Including epidemiological response, when it's needed (and there were ample warnings like SARS and MERS).

On 2/6/2021 at 11:13 AM, Aristides said:

If we also own the intellectual property to the CanSino vaccine, why haven't we continued developing it. China reneged on an agreement, we owe them nothing.

I think the intellectual property transfer was supposed to happen after the clinic trail began. Since the clinic trail has never started, it seems like Cansino's Canadian partner hasn't received any key technical stuff yet.

1 hour ago, xul said:

I think the intellectual property transfer was supposed to happen after the clinic trail began. Since the clinic trail has never started, it seems like Cansino's Canadian partner hasn't received any key technical stuff yet.

I wonder what the National Research Council shared with China and if it's like the Nortel scavenging that Huawei did.  

13 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I wonder what the National Research Council shared with China and if it's like the Nortel scavenging that Huawei did.  

I remember years ago I red a joke from a comment under a YouTube video:

Reporter: Mr. President, why does US ban Huawei 5G network?

Trump: Because Huawei steals 5G technologies from American companies.

Reporter: But....but American companies don't have 5G technologies.?

Trump: They haven't the technology because it was stolen by Huawei....??

Edited by xul