Why do Canadians keep supporting this error-prone government?

I've been asking these questions to the left for a long time now, and yet none of them are willing to answer, it is like all sides have been brainwashed into thinking the left is always right , and the right positions are straight from hell, and should not even be listened to. Our nation is about to face a crises beyond what it has ever faced in our entire history, thats saying something as we as a nation has been at war on 4 separate occasions, faced many financial crises, and even a few pandemics, today we face historical debt, to which we have little to show for it, leadership that does not want to make those tough calls, and the calls they do make are not decisive, more like wishy washy at best..

Kelly McParland: Why do Canadians keep supporting this error-prone government? (msn.com)

Quebec will support him because he's one of theirs. The English media adore him because they're all progressives - and it's 2021, don't you know? They will sugar coat anything he does wrong and focus on how dangerous the conservatives - excuse me, I meant to say the racist, white supremacist, trump loving conservatives are. Added to that people are intellectually lazy and pay little attention to politics. Trudeau is sending them money and they like that. The Conservatives maybe wouldn't be as 'generous' because they have this weird, whiny fixation on not spending too much money - probably because all they care about are big business and rich people.

Don't even try to suggest it's the Liberals who have close associations with the Irvings and the Desmarais and Bronfrmans and others because I'm not listening! My mind is made up! And anyway, I never read newspapers. I get my news when clips and stories are shared on facebook by my friends. I think that makes me very well-informed! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Aristides said:

Because not enough people see the present CPC as a centre right alternative. I don't think it is because they believe the Liberals are that great. 

In todays context, IE pandemic, massive debt, Noted issues with our health care system. What is it that would entice them to vote for the right. 

18 hours ago, Army Guy said:

In todays context, IE pandemic, massive debt, Noted issues with our health care system. What is it that would entice them to vote for the right. 

It's the likes of Sloan and Beyak who are keeping them from voting CPC. Until it sheds that far right perception it will be hard for them to form a government in spite of Liberal incompetence.

Edited by Aristides

4 hours ago, Aristides said:

It's the likes of Sloan and Beyak who are keeping them from voting CPC. Until it sheds that far right perception it will be hard for them to form a government in spite of Liberal incompetence.

Both are gone, and somehow i think this is not going to be enough to sway voters, it seems regardless of what the cons do no one on the left are nor going to be voting right any time soon. Regardless of what Justin does, or does not do. The left has hooked up their wagons to his camp and will not cross that line over to the right no matter what happens.

That being said what does that say about the left, they must be happy with the way things are right now ? massive debts, nothing really to show for it all, a massive turn around planed for our economy to a more green flavor, one that is yet been built or even tried, one that will take billions upon billions of investment even to bring it all to fruition here in Canada, with no guarantee of what is going to happen what so ever.

Sooner or later every thing to do with fossil fuel is going to be laying people off in large numbers where are they going to work? as these green industry is still on paper for the most part, and while our oil lays in the ground what are we going to heat our homes with, what is going to power our transportation systems, Is this new reliance on electricity going to over whelm our current electrical grid as we are almost at the max now. Lots of questions but no answers, but we are still going down this road regardless of the cost. And to some, that is not good leadership, decision making, it is not transparent as most of the country is in the dark about this new future, unless you can enlighten me ? as no one knows what lies on this road, or the consequences a big risk. 

Edited by Army Guy

6 hours ago, Aristides said:

Can you say exactly what Beyak did which was so terrible?

Just now, Aristides said:

The senator who defended residential schools. So? Oh I do understand that the only acceptable view is that residential schools were 'genocide' and that everyone who went to them was mistreated, abused or killed. I just don't believe any of that. Nor do I believe the founders of the residential school system intended harm. I also don't think it's a horrific crime to refuse to delete posts on her web site sent in by others who disagreed with the narrative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

The senator who defended residential schools. So? Oh I do understand that the only acceptable view is that residential schools were 'genocide' and that everyone who went to them was mistreated, abused or killed. I just don't believe any of that. Nor do I believe the founders of the residential school system intended harm. I also don't think it's a horrific crime to refuse to delete posts on her web site sent in by others who disagreed with the narrative.

I guess you didn't read the article.

The originators of the schools intended to obliterate FN culture and replace it with their own. No, they  didn't intend residents to be abused or killed.  

Grilling school survivors about whether they endorsed her plan to audit all FN was just sick.

If she is going go post letters on her website that call indigenous people lazy, opportunistic, pampered and inept, she has to take responsibility for their content.

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

I think much of it depends on the CPC itself. I consider myself to be centre right but find the CPC's antics very frustrating a times. 

Granted CPC is a source of my frustration as well, infact I really don't believe their is a true leader in any of the parties. Or atleast ones that could handle todays issues. That being said if you find CPC antics frustrating, the Liberals must drive you nuts. Racking up scandal after scandal, and all the dithering around, kicking problems down the street for others to solve is embarrassing not only to liberals but all Canadians. And the greens and NDP are just out their own their own planets, distractions to the real problems the world is having. . 

25 minutes ago, Aristides said:

I guess you didn't read the article.

The originators of the schools intended to obliterate FN culture and replace it with their own. No, they  didn't intend residents to be abused or killed.  

In other words, they wanted natives to join them in their society. Those who opposed spending the money on the schools, meanwhile, said it was a waste of time and money because they were savages and the idea of them ever living among white people was ridiculous.

And frankly, I'm a little confused about how people from all over the world can come here and settle into our cities and learn our language and become part of our nation (the prevailing moderate view) and yet the idea of natives doing this is horrific, and they must forever stay separate on their quaint little reserves where there's nothing to do and no jobs and their lives are essentially wasted and have no meaning.

Grilling school survivors about whether they endorsed her plan to audit all FN was just sick.

Audit FN for what?

If she is going go post letters on her website that call indigenous people lazy, opportunistic, pampered and inept, she has to take responsibility for their content.

We don't have freedom of speech any more in this country? People saying that is not illegal.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

In other words, they wanted natives to join them in their society. Those who opposed spending the money on the schools, meanwhile, said it was a waste of time and money because they were savages and the idea of them ever living among white people was ridiculous.

They were forcibly taking children from their families and intentionally depriving them of their culture. Kind of like the Chinese "re educating" the Uighurs.

And frankly, I'm a little confused about how people from all over the world can come here and settle into our cities and learn our language and become part of our nation (the prevailing moderate view) and yet the idea of natives doing this is horrific, and they must forever stay separate on their quaint little reserves where there's nothing to do and no jobs and their lives are essentially wasted and have no meaning.

They don't have to stay there. BTW, reserves were the white man's invention, not the natives.

FN for what?

Their finances. WTF does an inquiry into residential schools have to do with current FN finances?

We don't have freedom of speech any more in this country? People saying that is not illegal.

Sure we do. Some people just don't like it when they are held accountable for what they say.

Edited by Aristides

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Granted CPC is a source of my frustration as well, infact I really don't believe their is a true leader in any of the parties. Or atleast ones that could handle todays issues. That being said if you find CPC antics frustrating, the Liberals must drive you nuts. Racking up scandal after scandal, and all the dithering around, kicking problems down the street for others to solve is embarrassing not only to liberals but all Canadians. And the greens and NDP are just out their own their own planets, distractions to the real problems the world is having. . 

Pretty much but I only have one vote.

18 hours ago, Aristides said:

They were forcibly taking children from their families and intentionally depriving them of their culture. Kind of like the Chinese "re educating" the Uighurs.

I would suggest you read up on what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs before trying to compare them to residential schools. 

The people who invented residential schools all grew up in boarding schools far away from their own families. They didn't think they were doing anything much different

They don't have to stay there. BTW, reserves were the white man's invention, not the natives.

Clearly, but why would it be considered a crime against humanity to close down these reserves and bring the natives into town?

Sure we do. Some people just don't like it when they are held accountable for what they say.

If we have freedom of speech then the government should not be able to punish people for what they say or what others say on their web site, so long as it's legal. 

As in the title of this thread . . . "supporting this error-prone government?'  

Less than half the votes were 'supporting' this error-prone criminally corrupt government.  Canada won't recover from the damage the cretin in Ottawa has done.  I would like to see this country cleaved in half at the Manitoba/Ontario border.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Argus said:

I would suggest you read up on what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs before trying to compare them to residential schools. 

The people who invented residential schools all grew up in boarding schools far away from their own families. They didn't think they were doing anything much different

Bull. They weren't sent to schools that were trying to erase their heritage and they were sent by their parents, not in spite of them,

Clearly, but why would it be considered a crime against humanity to close down these reserves and bring the natives into town?

We have a Charter of Rights, we just can't do what we want to indigenous people without them having a say.

If we have freedom of speech then the government should not be able to punish people for what they say or what others say on their web site, so long as it's legal. 

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. She wasn't punished by the government, she was punished by her peers who want nothing to do with her.

Back to the initial question, voters will re-elect the grits because there is no better alternative. I had hope for Mr. O'Toole but he has been a disappointment. He has nurtured the disconect between having to spend a lot of money to deal with the pandemic and the size of the deficit. The first duty of the government is to save as many lives as possible. That means having as many people stay home as possible. 

It is hard to accept, but the fact is, it is better to have businesses die than people. You can resurrect a business but when a person dies, they are dead forever. 

The debt may take a century to pay off but history shows that after a pandemic, the economy usually takes off dramatically.

Four protocols:

Social distance

Wash your hands

Wear a mask

PATIENCE

Another issue that keeps the CPC out of the running is the perception they are not committed to transitioning off fossil fuels. The Grits are not great on this issue but the CPC's boots are nailed to the floor in the west because their base seems wilfully ignorant of what is happening and what is really going to happen with the climate. 

Either the CPC finds a good leader or you have the Liberals for the forseeable future.

Edited by Queenmandy85
Spell check change BOOTS to BOOKS

12 hours ago, Aristides said:

Bull. They weren't sent to schools that were trying to erase their heritage and they were sent by their parents, not in spite of them,

Who they were sent by is irrelevant. And schools enforced a rigid and unitary view of behaviour and values which would be little different from the residential schools. They were taught that there was one way to act, one way to behave, and punished for being different. That was the way things were back then in the spare-the-rod-spoil-the-child era.

We have a Charter of Rights, we just can't do what we want to indigenous people without them having a say.

I question how much the Charter has to do with keeping these people as archaic living museum pieces, rusticating out in the woods with sky high suicide and addiction rates.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. She wasn't punished by the government, she was punished by her peers who want nothing to do with her.

She was punished by an arm of the government for having a different view.

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

It is hard to accept, but the fact is, it is better to have businesses die than people. You can resurrect a business but when a person dies, they are dead forever. 

An economy which turns sour for whatever reason costs lives. It's just that they're not neatly enumerated as deaths from Covid are. It raises suicide levels, violence, drug addiction and crime, rates of mental illness, including depression and anxiety. People act like there's no cost in death to all of this, but there is, and it's quite possibly going to be very high and last for many years as lives are ruined.

34 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Another issue that keeps the CPC out of the running is the perception they are not committed to transitioning off fossil fuels.

No one is going to transition off fossil fuels until we get a new energy source. Period. End of story. The Liberals are very good at lying and pretending otherwise. They're very good at making comments which are essentially meaningless.

The world will be relying mainly on fossil fuels for decades. Anyone who says otherwise is a moron or a liar.

The eager Left wants us to shift everything to expensive and unreliable renewables and damn the cost. That's mainly because they figure the cost will be borne by someone else, of course. And the Liberals have been more than willing to accommodate that with their 'carbon tax refund cheques' to the ignorant herd.

Yet nothing Canada does will make even the slightest, measurable difference to climate change. Anyone who thinks otherwise is purely ignorant.

Maybe three dozen of the 190 countries in the world are trying to lower their CO2 emissions. The other 160 odd countries are building hundreds of coal plants and increasing their CO2 emissions, and that's not going to stop any time soon.

So God forbid the Tories be honest with people about any of this. Mind you, they haven't been. The tories have lacked an articulate message on ANYTHING for decades. They fear simply coming out and telling people the truth. Mind you, that's probably because Canadians have shown a decided preference for those who lie to them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Argus said:

No one is going to transition off fossil fuels until we get a new energy source. Period.

Nuclear Power. When the government finally outlines the end result of climate change, and when they don't let you leave school without and education in the hard sciences, people will embrace nuclear power.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Maybe three dozen of the 190 countries in the world are trying to lower their CO2 emissions. The other 160 odd countries are building hundreds of coal plants and increasing their CO2 emissions, and that's not going to stop any time soon.

If we give them the means to transition to nuclear, particularly thorium, they won't need to waste precious coal and oil to generate electrical power.