Why does the Right hate Greta Thunberg so much ?

Michael Hardner

I don't hate her. I hate that anyone is seriously paying attention to what she says. She doesn't' have any knowledge to speak of. All she has is her emotions, like most girls her age. She has nothing to contribute to the discussion but righteous indignation. And we have lots of that already.

I also hate that she's indicative of the kind of propaganda which is infecting young people, which is being pushed on them by ignorant, fanatical adults. She is actually having psychological problems in no small measure due to her belief - pushed on her by adult zealots - that the world is going to be destroyed by climate change in her lifetime.

Great job, climate zealots. You're scaring the shit out of children.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Great job, climate zealots. You're scaring the shit out of children.

Of course, if nobody said anything about what the future for these kids is going to look like, us old fogeys could sleep better at night knowing we don't have to do anything.  Kids would be screwed, of course, but we won't be around to be blamed.

Here's the decrease in snowfall at Vancouver airport since 1950 - 6 inch average decline, but nothing to see here, per right-wing deniers.  

SmartSelect_20210128-154305_Reddit.jpg

I don't hate her.  I feel a little sorry for her.  She has good intentions, but it doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

Of course, if nobody said anything about what the future for these kids is going to look like, us old fogeys could sleep better at night knowing we don't have to do anything.  Kids would be screwed, of course, but we won't be around to be blamed.

Here's the decrease in snowfall at Vancouver airport since 1950 - 6 inch average decline, but nothing to see here, per right-wing deniers. 

There's lots to see, but at what point do we admit that we can't do anything?  I bet you're doing your bit, but even that hasn't made you particularly uncomfortable. 

The new green deal insists we don't use carbon capture or nuclear power, so I can understand some people thinking that it can't be too serious.  Joe says it's an existential threat.  If it was surely carbon capture and nuclear power would be on the table.

I'll sleep okay, knowing that I could not have made a difference, no matter what I did. 

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Is it her Swedishness ?  Her youth ?  Her passion for what she believes ?

Maybe they're mad that a little alt-right child pushing for no healthcare wouldn't have the same appeal ?

Somebody explain this to me, please.  She's just a little girl after all.... :huh:

Boy, you're really desperate for a little anti-right outrage over there on the alt-left, aren't you? Know what you sound like?

greta-thunberg-how-dare-you.jpg

NI93d7m.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If population keeps getting added on to, there is nothing we can do. Eight billion now...

If Communist China and India (in particular) are allowed to continue to spew pollution at exponential rates compared to the rest of us, there is not a darn thing we can do.

We ALREADY have stiff environmental practices in the West. Sure we can improve...but if the rest aren't going to bother getting to square one...we're all just spitting into the wind.

When Greta tells China to stop and they do...then I'll notice.

• Like 2

Greta who?

Her symbol as the child redeemer does not work in North America, hence she is not much in our dialogue.

CNN tried to make her a virus expert on one of their informative panels. But it made her seem like a simple child. Simple, simpleton. She can only work if deified.

18 hours ago, dialamah said:

This is the same crap the Left have been spouting for years. We need to do... THIS so that THAT won't happen! What "THIS" is supposed to accomplish is rarely specified. It's presented as a moral mission, because the fact it won't actually do a bloody thing other than make us poorer s not something the Left wants to discuss.

But my point is that the studies put out by the UN show that climate change is not going to destroy the world. Its not going to destroy civilization. It's not going to make much of a difference in most of the northern hemisphere. Frightening children by leading them to believe the world is going to burn up is cruel and immoral.

59 minutes ago, Argus said:

1. This is the same crap the Left have been spouting for years. We need to do... THIS so that THAT won't happen! What "THIS" is supposed to accomplish is rarely specified.  

2. Frightening children by leading them to believe the world is going to burn up is cruel and immoral.

1. I think you are really pointing to the classic problem of the expert in liberal democracy.  When things get too complicated, they enter the political realm and the factual underpinnings necessarily are de-emphasized.  Now I'm not disagreeing with you but the same thing happens with, for example the pandemic, trade deals and so on.  

I don't know what the alternative is.   In the mid 20th century there seemed to be little backlash against experts and now it's to the point where the populist rejects the idea of an 'expert' or even of 'facts'.  

2. That's an easy sentence to agree with.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

This is the same crap the Left have been spouting for years. We need to do... THIS so that THAT won't happen! What "THIS" is supposed to accomplish is rarely specified. It's presented as a moral mission, because the fact it won't actually do a bloody thing other than make us poorer s not something the Left wants to discuss.

But my point is that the studies put out by the UN show that climate change is not going to destroy the world. Its not going to destroy civilization. It's not going to make much of a difference in most of the northern hemisphere. Frightening children by leading them to believe the world is going to burn up is cruel and immoral.

Frightening children is definitely cruel.  Leaving them unprepared is also cruel.  No one likes a nasty shock.

It's not going to make much of a difference in most of the northern hemisphere, except that most of the middle hemisphere and much of the southern hemisphere is going to want in. 

And the difference that it does make in the northern hemisphere is probably going to include changes in the water cycle such that we don't have as much clean fresh groundwater as we do now.  Also changes in weather patterns such that any expected boon in agricultural production doesn't materialize to the extent we thought it might.  Apparently the soil in the boreal areas is just not that great. 

We're not all going to die, but most of us are going to be more miserable.

Edit> Well, not me.  I'll be dead.

Edited by bcsapper

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Mass migration due to climate change will make a huge difference to the northern hemisphere.

20 hours ago, dialamah said:

SmartSelect_20210128-154305_Reddit.jpg

There was a big swing in weather in the 1920's and 30's.  Awfully convenient of your source to cherry pick the numbers.  Climate change is real, btw.

7 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Frightening children is definitely cruel.  Leaving them unprepared is also cruel.  No one likes a nasty shock.

What would you suggest we do to prepare?

It's not going to make much of a difference in most of the northern hemisphere, except that most of the middle hemisphere and much of the southern hemisphere is going to want in. 

That happens to be where most of the hundreds of coal fired power plants are currently being built and placed in operation.

And the difference that it does make in the northern hemisphere is probably going to include changes in the water cycle such that we don't have as much clean fresh groundwater as we do now

All we can do is guess at what's going to happen in 80 years. Think about what the world was like 80 years ago. You think anyone predicting what the world would be like today came anywhere near reality?

In thirty odd years we'll have nuclear fusion. Things should improve after that. All this mucking about with carbon taxes and windmills isn't going to accomplish a bloody thing.

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. I think you are really pointing to the classic problem of the expert in liberal democracy.  When things get too complicated, they enter the political realm and the factual underpinnings necessarily are de-emphasized. 

The factual underpinnings of the Paris Accord are that only about three dozen of the 180 signatories have promised to lower their CO2 emissions. The rest are raising theirs as fast as they can. The factual underpinnings is that putting heavy carbon prices on industry just makes them move to China or Mexico. Another factual underpinning is that we'll need money to help alleviate whatever problems like flooding global warming causes, and we're going to have less wealth due to this.

I don't know what the alternative is.   In the mid 20th century there seemed to be little backlash against experts and now it's to the point where the populist rejects the idea of an 'expert' or even of 'facts'.  

The experts don't say carbon taxes are going to work. They say it will help reduce emissions HERE, but most of the world doesn't have any carbon taxes. Most of the world is building coal plants. As I recall, the Paris Accord was designed so that if every single country acted responsibly it would SLOW the growth of CO2 emission. Not stop, not reverse, just slow. But every country isn't acting responsibly. Plus, there's a forty year delay between anything we do and the observable effects. Thus anything we do as of 2030 won't have an impact until 2070 anyway.  Which means Co2 is going to continue to rise until at least then, and likely longer.

Nothing short of new energy technology, like fusion, is going to make much difference, as far as I can see.

2. That's an easy sentence to agree with.

It's too bad her parents didn't. Maybe she wouldn't suffer from so much anxiety (which she states is because she thinks the world is going to end) she's suffering from depression.

Edited by Argus

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

What would you suggest we do to prepare?

Beats me.  I just point out problems.  I don't solve them.

That happens to be where most of the hundreds of coal fired power plants are currently being built and placed in operation.

Yep.  I can't see them thinking about that too much on the boat though.

All we can do is guess at what's going to happen in 80 years. Think about what the world was like 80 years ago. You think anyone predicting what the world would be like today came anywhere near reality?

In thirty odd years we'll have nuclear fusion. Things should improve after that. All this mucking about with carbon taxes and windmills isn't going to accomplish a bloody thing.

Sure, there's always a chance a major technological breakthrough will come along and help us out.  Look at the Flying Buttress, the Spinning Jenny, or the Integrated Circuit.  I sure hope it's the Fusion Reactor's turn.

Edited by bcsapper

44 minutes ago, Argus said:

That's why you have a navy. You turn any boats away.

Not that WE have a navy, mind. But we should have.

Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Turkey all have navies. They can't even keep them from crossing the Mediterranean.

US Mexico border 3500 KM. Canada US border 6500 KM, not counting Alaska.

Edited by Aristides