Changes Coming Soon to Discussion Forums

Greg

• Forum Admin

I'm going to be making some major changes to the forums over the next few weeks.

The first, and likely the biggest change, is going to be in the name of the site, and the domain name you use to access the site (and consequently the discussion forums). I'm not going to release the new name yet (or the domain), you'll just have to wait and see what it is.  Not to worry, all of the old URLs will still work, everything will just be forwarding to the new domain URL scheme.

I will also be modifying the sub-form categories somewhat, incorporating some long overdue changes.  Mostly, I'll be expanding the US Politics section, so that it has it's own section (similar to what we have for the Canadian Politics section) 

1. Canadian Domestic Politics
    1. Federal Politics
    2. Provincial Politics
    3. Local Politics
  2. United States Domestic Politics
    1. Federal Politics
    2. State Politics
    3. Local Politics
  3. International Politics
    1. Canada / US Relations
    2. The Rest of The World

The remainder of the forums I plan to keep the same.

Of course I'm always open to suggestion for organization of sections, so please post below if you have any ideas.

If you have any other good suggestions on reasonable changes we can make to the forums, please post them below. If they're good ideas, I'll do my research and see how easy it would be to incorporate into the new forums.

Thanks!

• Greg changed the title to Changes Coming Soon to Discussion Forums
5 minutes ago, Greg said:

I'm going to be making some major changes to the forums over the next few weeks.

The first, and likely the biggest change, is going to be in the name of the site, and the domain name you use to access the site (and consequently the discussion forums). I'm not going to release the new name yet (or the domain), you'll just have to wait and see what it is.  Not to worry, all of the old URLs will still work, everything will just be forwarding to the new domain URL scheme.

I will also be modifying the sub-form categories somewhat, incorporating some long overdue changes.  Mostly, I'll be expanding the US Politics section, so that it has it's own section (similar to what we have for the Canadian Politics section) 

1. Canadian Domestic Politics
    1. Federal Politics
    2. Provincial Politics
    3. Local Politics
  2. United States Domestic Politics
    1. Federal Politics
    2. State Politics
    3. Local Politics
  3. International Politics
    1. Canada / US Relations
    2. The Rest of The World

The remainder of the forums I plan to keep the same.

Of course I'm always open to suggestion for organization of sections, so please post below if you have any ideas.

If you have any other good suggestions on reasonable changes we can make to the forums, please post them below. If they're good ideas, I'll do my research and see how easy it would be to incorporate into the new forums.

Thanks!

I can't imagine the US state and local politics subgroups will get much attention. There just aren't enough Americans here, and most Canadians aren't much interested.

I would like a 'General" group in there somewhere for stuff which doesn't really fit elsewhere. Based on experience and what I've seen elsewhere, groups for gifs and for political cartoons/memes would be popular. Also, a group specifically for the culture wars might not be a bad idea, however it's titled. I don't think that's a topic going away any time soon.

• Like 1

• Forum Admin
19 hours ago, Argus said:

I can't imagine the US state and local politics subgroups will get much attention. There just aren't enough Americans here, and most Canadians aren't much interested.

Yes, I would agree somewhat, but things are changing in the world of online discussions, and I believe there might be a migration away from large platforms like Facebook, towards more non-aligned forums like this one.

Perhaps we could merge the State and Local into one sub forum...

19 hours ago, Argus said:

gifs and for political cartoons/memes

That's not a bad idea too. 

• Greg unpinned and unfeatured this topic