my take on covid 19 response

oops

24 minutes ago, myata said:

And this too is the unfortunate, easily predictable effect of constant and incessant scare-mongering that some professionals have been exercising since first days of the pandemic IN PLACE of intelligent and effective response. It's called the cry wolf effect. If all what one has done for a year (and counting) is jumping up and down and calling for ever stricter lockdowns, at some point people would just ignore it as noisy background. Does one need to be a top-chair expert to understand that?

If you aren't going to believe the people who are actually working in Covid wards and ICU's, who the hell are you going to believe?

Edited by Aristides

At the vaccination hall where I live I observed them vaccinating two or three people at a time when I was there and about five people waiting the required 15 minute waiting period in hall with about 60 chairs spaced six feet apart for people to wait after their shot.  In a city of approximately 18,000 people, at this rate it will take months to vaccinate the first dose to people.  Guess the pandemic will drag on and on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blackbird said:

At the vaccination hall where I live I observed them vaccinating two or three people at a time when I was there and about five people waiting the required 15 minute waiting period in hall with about 60 chairs spaced six feet apart for people to wait after their shot.  In a city of approximately 18,000 people, at this rate it will take months to vaccinate the first dose to people.  Guess the pandemic will drag on and on.

And the immunity effect may last up to 8 months. And the US is administering 3 million doses DAILY. But show that to the admirers of lockdowns why would they need to bother about anything like that? They can jump and wave and call for ever stricter lockdowns on TV FOR-...-EVER all the time collecting generous public pay and benefits. The result, the product of their hard work is completely disassociated from the activity and compensation for it. Should there, and would be any surprises?

Edited by myata

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

Then stay away from people, you are the threat, not them.

Actually people like you are a threat. Anyone following the bullshit government directives in the guise of health is a threat. Thats why the virus is still here, these public methods are useless against the virus and cost a lot of harm. 

And you people have been so clusterfucked in the head by this, soon youll be calling for me to be interred. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Actually people like you are a threat. Anyone following the bullshit government directives in the guise of health is a threat. Thats why the virus is still here, these public methods are useless against the virus and cost a lot of harm. 

And you people have been so clusterfucked in the head by this, soon youll be calling for me to be interred. 

Suck it up buttercup, a mask is an inconvenience not a hardship.

• Like 1

Only the numbers. Ontario's population above 4 years of age is 14 million. At the current rate of vaccine distribution (72 thousand daily, CBC this morning) it would take 195 days to vaccinate population of the province. Maybe plus weekends, not sure (+78). As of now, we are at least three months in. The immunity may last about 8 months.

I hope the experts" out there can do basic, grade 3 math. Unless their expertise is mostly in retelling the results of other's work on the radio and TV in the much learned high-science speak. Or did you see any other results?

20 hours ago, Aristides said:

If you aren't going to believe the people who are actually working in Covid wards and ICU's, who the hell are you going to believe?

I don't "believe": I observe and make my conclusions based on, hopefully: facts; logic; and reason.

As Chris Selley points out, the testing and quarantining at the borders was way late and half-hearted at best. And nothing whatever was done about the US/Canada border. As a result, not only is the UK variant running rampant but now the even more dangerous Brazil variant is rising too, and may soon eclipse the UK variant.

“We know that just one case of the variant that comes in could cause significant challenges,” said Trudeau. “That is why we need to take extra measures.”

It was another three-and-a-half weeks before the rule kicked in — too late to do anything about the British variant. But the first Canadian case of the Brazilian variant had only been detected, in Toronto, on February 7, and it was apparently contained. It was more than a month after that that P.1 first cropped up in Quebec, Alberta and B.C.

It obviously wasn’t just one or two people who smuggled P.1 into Canada. Several cases have breached the defences Trudeau erected, and as a result B.C. is in far worse shape than ever before.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/chris-selley-trudeaus-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-had-one-job-keeping-out-new-variants-it-failed/wcm/9e4f0542-a75c-42c8-9e92-300718d925e8

5 hours ago, myata said:

I don't "believe": I observe and make my conclusions based on, hopefully: facts; logic; and reason.

So you don't think Covid ward and ICU physicians are providing information on which you can base conclusions?

Edited by Aristides

19 minutes ago, Aristides said:

So you don't think Covid ward and ICU physicians are providing information on which you can base conclusions?

"Some information" is not equivalent to full information or even sufficient information, and certainly not tantamount to default interpretation. Infections are rising, and appear to be more serious? There's certainly evidence to that. We should do the same things that did not work before (i.e. we were not able to achieve steady and at least in part predictable management of the situation) and hope for a different result? No comment.

7 minutes ago, myata said:

"Some information" is not equivalent to full information or even sufficient information, and certainly not tantamount to default interpretation. Infections are rising, and appear to be more serious? There's certainly evidence to that. We should do the same things that did not work before (i.e. we were not able to achieve steady and at least in part predictable management of the situation) and hope for a different result? No comment.

There is no "full information" with this disease, they are learning every day and the virus is mutating every day.

So what do you suggest that we haven't done before? A full lock down where no one is allowed out of their homes except for groceries?

4 hours ago, Aristides said:

There is no "full information" with this disease, they are learning every day and the virus is mutating every day.

So what do you suggest that we haven't done before?

Ok "oh so new", default response 18 years after SARS (See: Taiwan; Singapore and Hongkong in another thread)

That was the job and we thought what? Writing policies and orders and interpreting other people's work on TV?

Edited by myata

51 minutes ago, myata said:

Ok "oh so new", default response 18 years after SARS (See: Taiwan; Singapore and Hongkong in another thread)

That was the job and we thought what? Writing useless policies and orders and interpreting other people's work on TV?

We got in the position we are in by waiting for more information. Every new virus is unique, they don’t all act the same way or respond the same to vaccines.

You didn’t answer my question.

Edited by Aristides

32 minutes ago, Aristides said:

You didn’t answer my question.

There's absolutely no issue with answering it... as soon as I'm paid for the effort on the level of experts responsible for getting us here. They weren't doing it for free, after all.

6 hours ago, Aristides said:

If you are such an expert on masks you shouldn't have any problems with wearing one correctly.

If you knew anything about masks, you would know what I'm talking about.

But you dont. You're free to wear it like some magic bullet. Remember what they said when they finally decided to recommend masks- it was more of a comfort thing for most ordinary slobs who have no idea what they're doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, myata said:

Ontario's latest invention is postal code based ("hotspot") priority distribution. Can in work? Can hectic chasing moving target work generally, in place of a sound strategy, plan and effective execution?

Like trying to kill mosquitos using a laser beam. stoopid...  :wacko::blink::blink:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Like trying to kill mosquitos using a laser beam. stoopid...  :wacko::blink::blink:

Some mosquitos flew several blocks, just past the postal code boundary. The vaccines were spent on "priority areas" and next shipment is expected later in June. Ta-da.

20 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

If you knew anything about masks, you would know what I'm talking about.

But you dont. You're free to wear it like some magic bullet. Remember what they said when they finally decided to recommend masks- it was more of a comfort thing for most ordinary slobs who have no idea what they're doing.

They aren't a magic bullet, no one ever said they are. They are one tool to be used with other tools.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Said no one ever. Except you just did.

Well you can deny whats happening if you want. The data in Canafa shows this failed approach as the numbers keep going up, up, up. 

People sense this failure and are now starting to blatantly ignore the rules. 

When I see crowds of young people in their twenties just walking along together without masks, blissfully unaware of covid it makes me happy. I think, thank god you kids are so stupid...

• Like 1