my take on covid 19 response

oops

Canada is falling further behind on vaccination roll out, dropping to 20th.   The curious Canadian comparisons and benchmarking for "allies" is evident again.   Trudeau will be getting more vaccine heat once the GG fiasco blows over.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-20-world-vaccine-doses-administered-1.5891465

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:22 PM, oops said:

I don't care too much if other countries are doing poorly too. Flattening the curve doesn't  result in fewer deaths, it redistributes them.

image.thumb.png.99571b6bd6dfe807fa1a1fd2ef9f2ae4.png

The curve where no measures are taken in time will cross below the flattened curve, resulting in fewer infections. The result is the same number of infections, not less. The government also overestimated the effect of the virus.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/qa/ive-heard-80-of-people-with-coronavirus-covid19-have-mild-symptoms-what-are-mild-symptoms.

A large majority of people have few to no symptoms. They have a positive test for the virus but no symptoms. Mild symptoms can range from sore throat, congestion and runny nose, nausea, vomiting,diarrhea, and headache to a low-grade fever and cough. If you have mild symptoms, you should stay home and recover. Just make sure to stay isolated so you don’t spread the infection to others. People with severe symptoms typically have a high fever, severe cough, and possibly shortness of breath and often need hospital treatment to recover. 

The recovery rate is also higher than you are led to believe.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html

Of the resolved cases of covid 19 344,000  have recovered, 13,000 have died. That would be a 96.2% recovery rate. However 75% of the deaths were in long term care facilities, or retirement homes.

https://hillnotes.ca/2020/10/30/long-term-care-homes-in-canada-the-impact-of-covid-19/

Of course thes residents were the least likely to be attending live music, or sporting events. They were not as likely to be doing their own shopping and were not affected as much by the lock downs. The recovery rate among people who were effectively would be higher than 96% perhaps in the 99% range.

The government could have spent $5 to $10 billion to bring long term care homes, and actually prevented deaths instead of causing many deaths in people on hospital waiting lists, opiod dependent people, and our elders who were isolated, essentially abandoned to die loneliness.

The wearing of face masks, social distancing, quarantines and lock downs for the past ten months have not seem to have done anything to stop the spread of this China virus. Matter of fact is that things seems to be getting worse or so the story goes. There has never been any flattening of this Covid virus line at all and probably never will. 

The only way that I see for trying to flatten the line is to try herd immunity. This seems to have worked in the past with all viruses and it should work with this China virus also. But of course if you persist in listening to your dear leaders and the not so trustworthy media that line will never get flattened. That line will always continue to keep shooting up. 

It's not about the virus anymore. It's more about power and control over we the people by our politicians. This will never end until we the people finally decide to say that they have had enough of this nonsense and we want to get back to our old normal life and dam the consequences. I have said dam the consequences and I do not live in a state of fear and panic of any virus anymore. I am free from this Covid virus bull shit. The politicians and the media cannot frighten me anymore with their China virus lies. Until that day comes where the people have decided to end this farce the year 2021 for them will be far worse than the year 2020. Only you can end this China virus madness. ;)

16 hours ago, taxme said:

I am one Canadian who is not ready or willing to take any vaccine at all. Vaccines are only for fools and idiots who can be talked into and made to believe that if they do not take this Covid vaccine soon they are all going to die.

I enjoy watching the fools and idiots lining up for the shot. Injecting crap into their bodies that may do more harm than good. It's quite obvious that those people have not been doing too much reading these days about this Covid vaccine. If they did they would have read stories about people who have been vaccinated and who have been seriously injured or have died days or weeks later after taking this Covid vaccine. The internet is full of horror stories about the fools and idiots who took the shot. But if you want to take the shot than go for it and good luck. I hope that you do not get injured or die from the shot. Hey, you never know, eh? ;)

I wonder who the fools and idiots are in this story. Though the internet may have a few or a few hundred horrors' about those who received vaccines and reacted badly out of a few hundred million vaccinated but it is also by far fuller of over 2 million people who caught covid and DIED from it, In my view governments must make receiving covid-19 vaccines mandatory because those who refuse it will have a much higher probability to catch it and hence transmit it to other innocent people who made wise and smart decision to receive the vaccine and protect themselves and their communities.

So... ten months late, Trudeau has finally, grudgingly, after resisting for all this time, agreed to mandatory testing for people flying into Canada. yay. If he'd done it last month we might have kept the UK variant out. It's probably too late to keep the South African variant out too. I recall the cops charged a guy who flew back from Rwanda recently after he ignored the self-quarantine orders. So now they're finally making that mandatory - ten months late. yay 

What a guy, that Trudeau. Always on the leading edge.

4 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

I wonder who the fools and idiots are in this story. Though the internet may have a few or a few hundred horrors' about those who received vaccines and reacted badly out of a few hundred million vaccinated but it is also by far fuller of over 2 million people who caught covid and DIED from it, In my view governments must make receiving covid-19 vaccines mandatory because those who refuse it will have a much higher probability to catch it and hence transmit it to other innocent people who made wise and smart decision to receive the vaccine and protect themselves and their communities.

I don't know that you could make them mandatory. People who don't get vaccinated will find their lives severely restricted anyway. Proof of immunization will be required for many activities and don't even think about international travel.

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

I don't know that you could make them mandatory. People who don't get vaccinated will find their lives severely restricted anyway. Proof of immunization will be required for many activities and don't even think about international travel.

As long as they are not allowed to be in the same store or grocery or in the same workplace or bar or any other public place or any other public place I am okay with it. But they can't refuse and breath the same air as rest of us putting our lives in danger. For the same reason that I agree people can drink and risk their health if they choose to do so but they have no rights to drink and drive and put our lives in danger.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

30 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

As long as they are not allowed to be in the same store or grocery or in the same workplace or bar or any other public place or any other public place I am okay with it. But they can't refuse and breath the same air as rest of us putting our lives in danger. For the same reason that I agree people can drink and risk their health if they choose to do so but they have no rights to drink and drive and put our lives in danger.

All the more reason to get vaccinated yourself. Let them get sick. It's the people who can't get vaccinated they are putting at risk.

The Alberta Government just announced that they are going to loosen restriction on COVID, commencing February 8.  My main fear, is this is too early to do so as the risk of a third lockdown is too great. Personally, I would have waited two weeks, and eased restrictions on February 23. By mid February, temperatures start rising, and by late March, people start going outdoors to parks and outdoor recreation events. 

• Haha 1

Trudeau's last defense crumbles.

The message has been that we couldn't make the vaccine here, and had to rely on other countries who had vaccine production facilities. Well, guess what? According to the Canadian doctor working at Oxford who has been on the development team for the Astrazeneka vaccine, Britain had virtually no production facilities either. That didn't stop them.

TORONTO -- Countries like Canada that are waiting for vaccine shipments amid an international shortage could have done more in the early days of the pandemic to boost their own domestic production capacity, according to a leading vaccine expert from the United Kingdom.

Oxford University Regius professor of medicine Sir John Bell was responsible for overseeing the development of the Astrazeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine, which is approved in the U.K. but not yet in Canada. He said the U.K. went to great lengths to scale up its production in early 2020 as vaccine trials began.

“We started from nothing, and we're now pretty pleased that we're in pretty good shape. Lots of other countries decided that they would rely on others, and that perhaps has not proved to be the right strategy,” Bell told CTV’s Question Period in an exclusive interview with Evan Solomon airing Sunday.

The U.K. was able to increase its vaccine manufacturing capabilities from “very close to zero” in a matter of 10 months, Bell said. The strategy was to repurpose existing manufacturing facilities elsewhere in the country to suit vaccine production.

"They repurposed those, they transferred the technology to them, they learned how to scale up, they went through all the hard yards it takes to become a manufacturing facility,” he said.

Well how about that? They set about to produce vaccines and were ready with ten months. And what did our government do? It signed a deal with CHINA to produce vaccines for us. And when China laughed in our faces then they were left scrambling after other vaccine production companies to sign deals long after every other western country had already done so. Israel was just about the first to sign up and have no vaccinated half of every adult citizen. Canada is under 2%. The UK is up over 12%

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/as-canada-awaits-vaccine-doses-relying-on-other-countries-is-the-wrong-approach-u-k-expert-1.5288416

• Like 4

Another demonstration of how the federal Liberals blew the covid response.

'We're no longer two months behind Moderna, we're one year behind. If we had $1 billion we would have finished at the same time as Moderna. But we never asked for $1 billion. We asked for $35 million. Had we gotten that, we wouldn't be starting Phase 1 right now, we would be in Phase 3' — Brad Sorenson, CEO of Providence Therapeutics

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/corbella-covaccine-solution-was-right-here-in-calgary-while-trudeau-looked-to-china?fbclid=IwAR2xyJ8_ZeI6qnYgCV7OoH8Byl41t0akYIAvxQc_rFlnOLXi4B_aDZcIU-g

• Like 2

More on the incompetent Trudeau government's vaccine failure from the Globe.

The Trudeau government has a plan for Canadian-made vaccines – in 2022

It has a familiar ring to it, doesn’t it? Had Ottawa implemented its latest border controls last year, there is a good chance that, combined with provincial public-health measures, they would have reduced the spread of COVID-19 in Canada. Early border measures would also have greatly reduced the importation of several more contagious variants of the COVID-19 virus first discovered in Britain, Brazil and South Africa, which have now been imported here.

But Ottawa didn’t act to bring in effective travel restrictions until last month. It’s as if the Trudeau government can’t grapple with the problem in front of it, until it’s too late.

Tuesday’s vaccine announcement is the same. It comes so late in the game – it is essentially a plan to deliver vaccines after the game is supposed to be over – that it will have more of an impact on the next pandemic, should one ever occur, than on the current one.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-the-trudeau-government-has-a-plan-for-canadian-made-vaccines-in-2022/

Passed-over Canadian biomanufacturing company says it can still produce COVID-19 vaccine

The president of a Canadian biomanufacturing company is offering to manufacture a COVID-19 vaccine just as soon as he and his team are asked, but the federal government says it has already picked the best candidates.

“We’re very willing and happy to help Canada make anything,” Donald Gerson, president of Montreal-based PnuVax Inc., told CTV’s Power Play on Tuesday. “We’ve got a good-sized factory here. It’s got lots of capabilities. We’d be very, very pleased to help and make as much as we possibly could for Canada’s benefit.”

On Tuesday, The Globe and Mail reported that PnuVax has not received any federal investment to produce a COVID-19 vaccine or therapy, despite its experience and sizable facilities. Instead, the government chose a public lab that has pushed back its timeline for being ready to manufacture the first doses of a vaccine from November, 2020, to some time after mid-2021.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-president-of-montreal-company-pnuvax-says-ottawa-passed-on-its-offer/

• Like 2

Diane Francis doesn't seem to have much confidence we're going to see any Canadian-made vaccines this year - or even next year.

One deal he announced is with Novavax, a vaccine manufacturer that says it will produce vaccines at a National Research Council (NRC) facility in Montreal. But the facility has not yet been built, nor has the manufacturing process been certified for safety, or even licensed by Health Canada.

The second deal is with Precision NanoSystems in Vancouver. Trudeau said Ottawa will contribute $25.1 million in tax dollars to help the company build a new facility. The company itself estimates it will be in production in 2023.

“What does the PM know about vaccine manufacturing plants?” Dan said in an interview with the National Post. “The setting up of a vaccine plant to treat COVID is a highly specialized operation, even if the know-how is provided.

“It will likely take at least two years by the time the Canadian-first vaccine will roll off. By that time, many changes may happen, such as the virus may be gone or further mutate, or there will be no more major vaccine needs, or many more well-established vaccine manufacturers will gear up production and provide excessive amounts of vaccines at highly competitive prices.”

https://financialpost.com/diane-francis/diane-francis-made-in-canada-vaccine-announcement-was-little-more-than-smoke-and-mirrors

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 5:40 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada is falling further behind on vaccination roll out, dropping to 20th.   The curious Canadian comparisons and benchmarking for "allies" is evident again.   Trudeau will be getting more vaccine heat once the GG fiasco blows over.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-20-world-vaccine-doses-administered-1.5891465

We shouldn't trust Health Canada or the Canadian federal government anymore on vaccination.  All vaccines approved by Britain's NHS, including Astro-Zeneca should be approved immediately and the Canadian government must ask for blueprints for construction of a vaccination facility that is already producing vaccines, immediately approve the construction and production, and copy the blueprints.  We can't afford more delays, excuses, and lack of transparency on contracts.  
https://apple.news/A3HvgHtfSRmOCR0CFhUNvHg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The stories are starting to proliferate in all the major media as Canadians see other countries moving forward faster towards the day of covid-free living, economies opening up, theaters and sports stadiums full of people, nightclubs and dancing.

How Ottawa utterly botched Canada's COVID vaccine acquisition

Despite spending more money on this pandemic than anyone else, Canada is lagging behind almost every other developed nation in vaccination numbers

It’s now becoming increasingly clear that as the world mobilizes to immunize itself against COVID-19, Canada is falling seriously behind. At a time when more than half of Israelis have gotten the jab, Canada has only two per cent of its population vaccinated. Recent analysis by The Economist found that while virtually all of Europe will be fully vaccinated by the end of this year, the earliest Canada can hope for is mid-2022. And in one of the sharpest rebukes to Canada’s pandemic performance yet, the federal government has tapped into a global vaccine-sharing pool initially meant for developing nations.

The coming months will reveal much of the failures and oversights that allowed this to happen, but below is a primer on why you’re going to be vaccinated much later than if you were an American, Brit or even Serbian.

https://nationalpost.com/news/how-ottawa-utterly-botched-canadas-covid-vaccine-acquisition

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 6:49 AM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Are you on globalist Bill Gates payroll? 

If fools want to get vaccinated and wear masks well go ahead make their day. They should not have to worry about getting Covid then. You are now protected from people like me who did not take the shot. Only I will have to worry about that now.

So, what gives you the right to want to force me to take a vaccine shot if I do not want too. This never happened in the past with other viruses like SARS and H1N1 and so many others, so why now?  Go away with your forced mandatory nonsense. It is people like you who are always living in a state of fear and panic about something you know nothing about.

All you go by is what those lying politicians and the lying media keep telling you that they should be listened too for your safety. Why should I believe you or them? All others with a different opinion about the virus should not be listened too. They are all just a bunch of conspiracy nut cases. Well, I do believe in conspiracy's and I have read enough stories about this convid virus that tells me that this is all just one big gigantic hoax and not for real. 

So, you know what you can do with your mandatory vaccine, eh? Just saying. :D

On 1/29/2021 at 10:17 AM, Argus said:

So... ten months late, Trudeau has finally, grudgingly, after resisting for all this time, agreed to mandatory testing for people flying into Canada. yay. If he'd done it last month we might have kept the UK variant out. It's probably too late to keep the South African variant out too. I recall the cops charged a guy who flew back from Rwanda recently after he ignored the self-quarantine orders. So now they're finally making that mandatory - ten months late. yay 

What a guy, that Trudeau. Always on the leading edge.

Oh look, Argus, the sky is falling down. Lock yourself down for a few days will you. I would not want a piece of sky hitting you on the head. I wonder how heavy some of those sky pieces are? Just asking. ;)

Now there is the UK variant, the South African variant and I wonder which country will be next? Maybe Canada will end up having it's own variant. Hey, we never know, eh? Lol. 

On 1/29/2021 at 11:43 AM, Aristides said:

There is no need to make it mandatory for anyone to take a vaccine shot because your dear comrade politicians will force people like me to take the shot or stay at home and I will not be able to travel anywhere by plane or maybe enter restaurants, businesses, go to sports or concert events or casinos. No matter what, I am screwed.

There will be no more freedom or FUN for me anymore. Just a boring bull chit new normal life for me. Way the go to all of you maskholes and all of you vaccine pushers. You have all lost the true meaning of freedom and freedom of choice.   :P 

13 hours ago, taxme said:

. Way the go to all of you maskholes and all of you vaccine pushers. You have all lost the true meaning of freedom and freedom of choice.   :P 

I will gladly risk the wrath of my fellow maple leaf webbers to agree with you.  IMHO (and I wish I had some GOOD numbers to back this up) this massive second wave is partly or greatly the result of the mask-protection-fantasy.   I just happen to do a lot of work with filtration, and as a result of medical friends and associates, have been exposed (that's a viral joke) to the whole mask stuff a fair bit. 

Reality is a mask DOES NOT protect any from aerosolized micro particles (i.e. virus) attached to micro droplets - in fact it is a tool to spread them far more effectively.  Let me qualify that for you:  a mask that is NOT fully sealed and fit tested, i.e. what 99% of people are wearing.   Yes, they will stop a massive gob of snot from projecting - BUT, the constant leakage of the smaller gaps around the nose bridge in particular, coupled with the high flow restriction of random pieces of rag over your face (note that decent paper masks have DESIGNED low restriction, high filtration media, DIY cloth masks do NOT!!!) results in a high velocity jet of air being expelled every time you exhale.  If you wear glasses in our cool climate, you have more than adequate experience with how dramatic this is.  The kick is, when you double the air velocity, it is 4x as effective at aspirating droplets.  I believe the average leak velocity is more like 3x exhale from open nose and/or mouth, and is thus 9x more effective at aspirating and projecting droplets into the surrounding environment, where these small droplets and particles can stay airborne for HOURS.  This may well explain why this second wave spiked so high because the false security of the masks puts a LOT more people into close proximity indoors within a perfect transmission environment - created by the masks.

Now, the inoculation thing is where the knee-jerk reaction would be to tell you it is not about you, but protecting the greater population.  In the short term, it is important to realize that ALL of the vaccines that are so far proposed do NOT prevent one from being infected and infectious, they simply (it's not really that simple, but) reduce the severity when the ultimate infection strikes.  While there is some expectation of "herd immunity" being reached IMHO that will never happen.  As with influenza, it will be more like herd tolerance - and that will be augmented by vaccines for those most at risk.  On those grounds, I can support some smaller percentage of the population choosing to stay on the "wrong side" of vaccination.

BTW: my US office sent this up today:

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/a-cure-for-covid-israeli-team-claims-new-drug-has-96-success-rate/

while we have been busy giving China the inside track on vaccine sales to Canada, the UK started from same place and has full scale production rolling along just fine.  Meanwhile Israel has been doing the work to develop treaments - one that appears to be effective.

Instead of locking down our borders, we have spent our time and money importing as much infectious agent as our porous borders could handle.  Instead of putting money into vaccine research and production or treatment, we seem to be happy just to pay everyone to stay home and watch Ms. Meng wander around from mansion to mansion.  Meanwhile our fearless leaders watch from their comfy, warm vacation hideaways.

• Like 1

This morning on a walk around neighborhood nature area, an epitome of Canada's Covid-19 response: an individual, alone, in the center of a frozen pond, taking some morning sun while wearing a mask. Combine with: mandatory in the change room but not during the exercise; and, mandatory in the washroom (5-10 min) but not for two hours in the restaurant. Add don't forget now world-infamous "travel from Wuhan is great for our system!".

Who was supposed to be impressed by these gems of bureaucratic creativity (in place of real effective solutions in curbing the spread, including technology-based one)? I think it was a subtle message to the virus. Like, look how smart we're here and run, run! Scared by Sweden? Covid mortality per capita in Sweden virtually same as in Quebec. Restaurants never closed and masks weren't mandatory though recommended vs two lockdowns and plethora of near-daily changing policies, orders and counting. This is oh so new and can only do so much. A little better than the worst and that's already looking pretty good. Rest my case.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 7:12 PM, Argus said:

Trudeau's last defense crumbles.

The message has been that we couldn't make the vaccine here, and had to rely on other countries who had vaccine production facilities. Well, guess what? According to the Canadian doctor working at Oxford who has been on the development team for the Astrazeneka vaccine, Britain had virtually no production facilities either. That didn't stop them.

How is this any surprise though? For decades now, take any program, any objective, take SARS-1 (18 years), MERS (15) the only things the bureaucracy here CAN do is 1) spend public $ billions and 2) write an action plan and report. That's it, all we can get here, more billions spent and more action plans produced as the result. No, not reductions in emissions or new vaccine production facilities that wasn't in the objectives. Sorry this option is invalid please choose the right one, 1 or 2. Yes, XY billions allocated for "rapid Covid response", please stay on the line your call is important.

Edited by myata

On 2/7/2021 at 6:39 AM, cannuck said:

I will gladly risk the wrath of my fellow maple leaf webbers to agree with you.  IMHO (and I wish I had some GOOD numbers to back this up) this massive second wave is partly or greatly the result of the mask-protection-fantasy.   I just happen to do a lot of work with filtration, and as a result of medical friends and associates, have been exposed (that's a viral joke) to the whole mask stuff a fair bit. 

Reality is a mask DOES NOT protect any from aerosolized micro particles (i.e. virus) attached to micro droplets - in fact it is a tool to spread them far more effectively.  Let me qualify that for you:  a mask that is NOT fully sealed and fit tested, i.e. what 99% of people are wearing.   Yes, they will stop a massive gob of snot from projecting - BUT, the constant leakage of the smaller gaps around the nose bridge in particular, coupled with the high flow restriction of random pieces of rag over your face (note that decent paper masks have DESIGNED low restriction, high filtration media, DIY cloth masks do NOT!!!) results in a high velocity jet of air being expelled every time you exhale.  If you wear glasses in our cool climate, you have more than adequate experience with how dramatic this is.  The kick is, when you double the air velocity, it is 4x as effective at aspirating droplets.  I believe the average leak velocity is more like 3x exhale from open nose and/or mouth, and is thus 9x more effective at aspirating and projecting droplets into the surrounding environment, where these small droplets and particles can stay airborne for HOURS.  This may well explain why this second wave spiked so high because the false security of the masks puts a LOT more people into close proximity indoors within a perfect transmission environment - created by the masks.

Now, the inoculation thing is where the knee-jerk reaction would be to tell you it is not about you, but protecting the greater population.  In the short term, it is important to realize that ALL of the vaccines that are so far proposed do NOT prevent one from being infected and infectious, they simply (it's not really that simple, but) reduce the severity when the ultimate infection strikes.  While there is some expectation of "herd immunity" being reached IMHO that will never happen.  As with influenza, it will be more like herd tolerance - and that will be augmented by vaccines for those most at risk.  On those grounds, I can support some smaller percentage of the population choosing to stay on the "wrong side" of vaccination.

I always get a laugh at those politicians and people in the media that keep saying that by not wearing a mask or social distancing we are not thinking about society or other people or a good one is what about the children. A dead give away that what they are doing here is to get you to pretty much shut up and listen to the experts and science and quit with the asking of questions or challenging the virus rules and maybe forced vaccinations. And who is going to dare say to hell with the children? That will shut most people up all the time. They do not know what to say. 

The thing here is that there are plenty of doctors and scientists that are coming out and starting to tell us that this is not a virus that we should all be in a state and panic about. They say that it is just like your average flu that comes around every year and makes some people sick and some people die. But they never get heard by the mainstream media. They are called nasty names. 

So, who is telling the truth and who is lying? A good question. But from what I have been reading on the internet and from alternative news media websites and from some of those doctors and scientists they are all starting to make a lot of sense to me. All of this hysteria over a virus is nonsense. It's not the plague this is just a flu virus with maybe a little more punch. Herd immunity is the answer. Not lock downs and more forced mask wearing and stop socializing. Herd immunity will more than likely kill it off as more people will start to develop immunity to any virus. Now we are told that there is another more serious corona virus variant. This will never end. Every time a virus now comes around will we all have to run for cover? Give me a break. ;)