LIberal Covid Committee recommends who should get vaccine first

Argus

The vaccine we're going to get over the first three months will be consumed entirely by the first group of people to get it, which are LTC residents and staff, seniors over 80 plus health care workers and... indigenous people in isolated reserves. Which is weird on several levels.

These groups will consume the entire batch we will have available in the first three months of next year.

In the second phase, presumably sometime after that, they recommend front line workers, including police, fire and ambulance as well as people in 'congregate settings' like prisoners, people in homeless shelters and migrant workers get the shots.

Now there's a couple of things I take from this. First, most of us aren't going to get any vaccine for at least a year. Second, this committee seems to have completely forgotten the most vulnerable people to covid, which are those with background diseases like diabetes. Those people are in MORE danger than anyone else, including seniors, but the committee ignored them. Third, why the hell should healthy natives on isolated reserves get their shots in the first three months? If you're going to make the case they have fewer health resources then why not inoculate anyone who lives in an isolated area without many health resources? How do you justify giving healthy natives the vaccine and not people with heart disease or diabetes? For that matter how do you justify giving it to criminals ahead of people with diabetes or heart disease?

By the way, the Americans plan to have 100 million people vaccinated by the end of March.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/seniors-long-term-care-workers-first-in-line-1.5828720

10 hours ago, Argus said:

Third, why the hell should healthy natives on isolated reserves get their shots in the first three months? If you're going to make the case they have fewer health resources then why not inoculate anyone who lives in an isolated area without many health resources? How do you justify giving healthy natives the vaccine and not people with heart disease or diabetes?

Why are you asking questions that you know the answer to?  LOL

18 hours ago, Argus said:

Now there's a couple of things I take from this. First, most of us aren't going to get any vaccine for at least a year. Second, this committee seems to have completely forgotten the most vulnerable people to covid, which are those with background diseases like diabetes. Those people are in MORE danger than anyone else, including seniors, but the committee ignored them.

You know what.....I'm not in a hurry to get the vaccine.  Vaccines seems to have been rushed up, that it's actually spooking me.  That they all went through trials is well and good - a couple of months? - that, it still makes me wonder about side-effects in the long run, like a year after?

I'm okay with waiting at the end of the line.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 2:24 AM, betsy said:

You know what.....I'm not in a hurry to get the vaccine.  Vaccines seems to have been rushed up, that it's actually spooking me.  That they all went through trials is well and good - a couple of months? - that, it still makes me wonder about side-effects in the long run, like a year after?

I'm okay with waiting at the end of the line.

I'll be at the back of the line with you Betsy.  The possible long term effects are still a question in my mind.

• Like 1

The vaccine paradoxes...

1)The people who pre-emptively detest anything associated with Trump will be fighting to get the Warp Speed vaccine as fast as possible.

The people who are pro-Trump will be fighting not to take it.

2)The people who thought that HCQ was deadlier than a tabun/sarin/soman cocktail just because Trump talked about it, despite the fact that it has been given to tens of millions of people over more than half a century and the side-effects were proven beyond a shadow of doubt, suddenly think that a hastily-created Trump vaccine with a bare minimum of trials is worth the risk to avoid a virus that doesn't pose even the slightest risk to their health. 

"I DON'T TRUST HCQ BECAUSE TRUMP TALKED ABOUT IT!!!!!! IT'S GOTTA BE DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take his hastily-created vaccine though...." LMAO.

Personally it will take the threat of ostracization/death to get me to take the vaccine, and I'll pay my Dr to fake my vaccination if that's what I need to do to get out of it. If my wife was pregnant and didn't want to take the vaccine I'd literally fight to the death to prevent it.  

Re: the praise if it is a success, vs the blame if it's a disaster.....

Trump did cut corners to get this done so it will be largely his fault if it has nasty side-effects, or if it's a failure in the long run for whatever reason. If it's a success I guess that he should get a lot of credit, but TBH, I don't really care about a vaccine that helps 85 yr olds with co-morbidities live 3 months longer. I might care if I'm in that boat at 85 but I will never say that it was worth all the economic damage caused by the shutdowns.