Liberal failures on vaccine

Argus

5 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Never mind the Covid,

Wheres the goddamn flu vaccine? We ordered 5 million doses and yet ran out at less than 1 M. Now Mr. Trudeau has to go to other countries, hat in hand, and plead for some more. As if.

Shouldn't need it, with all the COVID precautions the flu won't exist this year. 

What a clown show the Liberals are.

OTTAWA -- A spokesman for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his office accidentally sent out an account of a phone call with Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole that hadn't happened yet.

The premature account of the call Friday said Trudeau chided O'Toole about Conservative MPs' downplaying the deaths of Albertans and comparing the novel coronavirus to the flu.

Alberta MP Rachael Harder shared a newspaper column on her Facebook page this week that pointed out provincial statistics saying that just 10 of 369 Albertans who had died of COVID-19 as of mid-November were otherwise healthy. And Ontario MP Dean Allison described COVID-19 as "influenza" in a talk-radio interview.

After the call, the Conservatives said Trudeau raised neither of these incidents with O'Toole.

And a second read-out of the call from the PMO, after the call had actually taken place, dropped all mention of the matter.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-s-office-releases-account-of-him-scolding-o-toole-before-he-does-it-1.5207937?taid=5fc184fa98701900016e3ff4&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

On 11/25/2020 at 10:44 AM, Adam1980 said:

It will be interesting to see if the public holds the government to account for this. I believe this issue was known long ago, and they are just now about to face the reckoning. The virus may be a big and visible enough issue to mobilize the mob. 

This government hasn't been held accountable for anything at all yet. 

SNC and We are both big enough scandals that Trudeau should have been forced to resign, but they're downplayed on CBC and CTV until they can be ignored completely, and then they go away.

And just remember that at the very beginning of this whole plandemic, we let flights from C19 infected areas pour in for 45 days after the US had already put a stop to it. We didn't screen any of those passengers, we didn't have mandatory quarantines for sick people from those planes, and we were all told NOT to wear masks.

Those people rode transit and ate in restaurants with the rest of us, with no masks and no restrictions. Then a week after they put a stop to foreign travel they had to start shutting down businesses and some of them will never re-open.

We let so much covid in that we had over 5,000 dead Canadians by May 12th. We were one of the first countries in the world to that total and we have the 39th-highest population.  

There has never been any indication whatsoever that members of the Canadian think that Trudeau and his health officials made the wrong call back then, and they won't care that Trudeau made a mess of this vaccine process either. 

There's literally a zero % chance that Trudeau's feet get held to the fire on this whole issue of his massive C19 failures, at literally every stage of the process. 

14 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Wait wait.... all of these stories about Trudeaus mishandling are from the mainstream media. How is this possible?  

I thought MSM is liberal propaganda????

Do you have a link to any really scathing articles or anything from CBC or CTV news? You know, the kind of stories that our own Canadian media would have written about Trump if he had completely failed to take any action at all....

Didn't think so.

In the US Trump's administration set up Operation Warp Speed back in late April. Trudeau still didn't get off his ass and go to www.amazon.com/vaccines until....... a few days ago?????? 

On behalf of all Canadians I'd like to say thanks to our glorious PM for initiating 'Operation Week Spud'. 

On 11/26/2020 at 5:20 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

It is ironic that many of the people whining the loudest are the idiots who are scared of needles and are refusniks.

If you don't understand the situation, maybe you should ask instead of misguidedly throwing around sandbox insults?

I'm not going to try to speak for everyone, but just because I'm personally not going to take the vaccine doesn't mean that I don't want other people to be unable to get it. Do you understand that QM85? 

I don't want to take a vaccine with unknown side effects just to stop me from getting the sniffles, but I understand why people who could really suffer or die from C19 would be willing to take the risk of a new vaccine and I think that our government could save us a lot of money by giving out vaccines instead of doling out a few more months of CERB. 

The sooner we get a vaccine out there, and put an end to our MSM's relentless fear-mongering, the sooner we can all get back to some semblance of normalcy. 

35 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Lol. There's no flu this year because of all the C19 precautions, but Canadians aren't taking enough C19 precautions so C19 is everywhere..... :blink:

True, society is just a bunch of children that need to be told, then forced to do the right thing. 

Love www.amazon.com/vaccines, that is funny :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

It still needs to get to them, stop COVID = stop the flu. Am I wrong? 

"While it’s not possible to say with certainty what will happen in the fall and winter, CDC believes it’s likely that flu viruses and the virus that causes COVID-19 will both be spreading. In this context, getting a flu vaccine will be more important than ever. CDC recommends that all people 6 months and older get a yearly flu vaccine."

53 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

"While it’s not possible to say with certainty what will happen in the fall and winter, CDC believes it’s likely that flu viruses and the virus that causes COVID-19 will both be spreading. In this context, getting a flu vaccine will be more important than ever. CDC recommends that all people 6 months and older get a yearly flu vaccine."

One has to wonder if getting all these vaccinations is healthy, isn't that at least part of the cause of superbugs in hospitals? Minor illness helps maintain a strong immune system? I'm no CDC expert... 

7 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

One has to wonder if getting all these vaccinations is healthy, isn't that at least part of the cause of superbugs in hospitals? Minor illness helps maintain a strong immune system? I'm no CDC expert... 

Well like my pappy used to say, go and eat some dirt you stupid moron. He was right.

11 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

No. Overuse of antibiotics is.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

No. Overuse of antibiotics is.

Still, use of vaccines on less-than-extreme diseases can not only compromise individual immune systems (that would normally develop natural immunity) but herd health is similarly sliding due to the preservation within the gene pool of material that would normally not be reproduced as illness would have cleared it from the mix.  The same could be said of many other acts of medical kindness and hygene (over use of anti-microbial soaps and liquids).

I am not an anti-vaxxer, but when it comes to influenza, unless we become immunocompromised, I am not planning on vaccination for flu.  Polio, shingles and Wuhan Virus - different deal.

Edited by cannuck
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cannuck said:

Still, use of vaccines on less-than-extreme diseases can not only compromise individual immune systems (that would normally develop natural immunity) but herd health is similarly sliding due to the preservation within the gene pool of material that would normally not be reproduced as illness would have cleared it from the mix.  The same could be said of many other acts of medical kindness and hygene (over use of anti-microbial soaps and liquids).

I am not an anti-vaxxer, but when it comes to influenza, unless we become immunocompromised, I am not planning on vaccination for flu.  Polio, shingles and Wuhan Virus - different deal.

I see wisdom in this post. 

8 hours ago, cannuck said:

You might be seeing it, but it is more the result of listening to my kids and friends who are medical professionals and scientists.

Sounds like they have some common sense, it's not rocket science. You use or lose it. 

I think one of the problems with trying to cure the sniffles is the bug only needs to mutate slightly to work around the cure. So then we attack that bug and again it mutates and so on. Meanwhile our immune system is not being challenged and as a result it's not evolving to fight the new bugs. 

Bring in the quest for profit and the situation gets even more complicated, now we don't want to kill all the "bad" bugs as it'll also kill our income source. This may not be the case but it is possible... 

COVID is only another organism on this planet that's trying to survive and multiply, it's no different then all the other creatures here. Just as the planet is our host, we are COVID's and millions of other viruses and bacteria's host. One thing we should take from this is when we die we are no longer a viable host to COVID, if we kill our habitat it won't be a viable host for us. 

5 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

Sounds like they have some common sense, it's not rocket science. You use or lose it. 

COVID is only another organism on this planet that's trying to survive and multiply, it's no different then all the other creatures here. Just as the planet is our host, we are COVID's and millions of other viruses and bacteria's host. One thing we should take from this is when we die we are no longer a viable host to COVID, if we kill our habitat it won't be a viable host for us. 

Yes, common sense backed by decades of education and experience.  One of the  joys of parenthood is realizing your kids are more capable than you.

The issue with evolution is that it is not planned science, it is a "trial and error" system that doesn't always work.  Who knows how many mutations result in just the result (killing your host) to a greater extent that needed for a sustainable environment for the virus.   Ultimately, were we not to intervene with OUR particular kinds of corruption of immunity, we would see only those with the most robust immune systems live with the constant threat from HIV, poliomyelitis, bubonic plague, Marburg, Ebola, rabies, etc. or possibly we would simply see the host (i.e. US!) wiped out.   Fortunately - or unfortunately - evolution also gave us the brainpower to step in and deal with viral risks by immunization our way.  Or, as I said, unfortunately - as our abilities to feed and protect more and more people have resulted in an unsustainable explosion in population that will eventually (not that far off) result in an environment no longer suitable for our purposes.   We are smart enough to maneuver around nature's viruses, but not smart enough to overcome the greed and ignorance that will sink the whole damned ship.

22 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Politics aside, there’s a deeper Canadian failure to be discussed here. Why can’t we hang on to talented guys like this?

https://yalibnan.com/2020/11/18/immigrant-founded-moderna-leading-the-way-in-covid-19-vaccine/

You can start with us having on post-secondary institutions remotely of the same quality as MIT. Add in much higher taxes, more bureaucracy and red tape.

Why do you think two thirds of the graduating classes in software engineering at Canada's top universities left for the US?

18 hours ago, Argus said:

You can start with us having on post-secondary institutions remotely of the same quality as MIT. Add in much higher taxes, more bureaucracy and red tape.

Why do you think two thirds of the graduating classes in software engineering at Canada's top universities left for the US?

When I think of Canada and medical advances, insulin is still the first thing that comes to mind. We don’t take ourselves seriously as a country. British and German scientists have been able to produce Covid vaccines already. Why not us? 

4 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

When I think of Canada and medical advances, insulin is still the first thing that comes to mind. We don’t take ourselves seriously as a country. British and German scientists have been able to produce Covid vaccines already. Why not us? 

Our universities are third rate, at best, and our government doesn't invest in science. What science grants it does grant to universities are now based on race and gender, not merit. The amount also hasn't grown in years.

Statistics Canada data, calculated by Science Policy Research Center, shows that actual spending on government R&D is lower now than it was under the Harper government. Though overall funding of science has increased from $10.4 billion in 2015-16 to $11.3 billion in 2018-19, actual spending on “federal government science” was projected to be $112 million lower in 2018-19 than in 2014-15. Expenditures on R&D by “government scientists” declined by $891 million compared to 2010-11 under the Harper government.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2019/06/12/funding-science-research-where-is-canada-going.html

Edited by Argus

On 12/1/2020 at 7:15 PM, Argus said:

Our proximity to a much larger nation with the same language will always offer brain drain challenges. More broadly, our peer group should not be a superpower like the US but European countries with a similar population, e.g. a range between the Netherlands and Germany. We need to progress from being hewers of wood.