Democracy Dies in Dems' Darkness

In a way the election of Biden should make sense to any Trump supporter who understood the real issue at hand. The US electorate has chosen the greater of two strong-men, the greater authoritarian. Biden et al will now prescribe the future very carefully for them... but to the nth degree!

Joe Biden is already talking about how he will use the presidency to reach down into every every state, every municipality if necessary, to enforce his government's brand and to increase federal power.

In other words his shall be done, in all places and everywhere, because he is the president for all Americans!

602x338_cmsv2_b1651ccd-2601-5360-8be5-60

Then-presidential candidate Joe Biden speaks during a campaign event on manufacturing and buying American-made products at UAW Region 1 headquarters in Warren, Mich. on Sept. 9, 2020.

Canada should beware Joe Biden’s ‘Buy American’ mentality

With our southern neighbours' recent election of Joe Biden, many commentators and interest groups have expressed relief at the arrival of this career politician with a calmer tone than his predecessor’s. But when it comes to economics, can we really expect a less protectionist president who will smooth trade relations with our country?

Like many international trade experts and diplomats, we do not think that this Democratic victory will necessarily mean freer trade between our two countries. While the disputes in the aluminum and steel sectors could settle down, several observations lead us to think that the famous “Buy American” mentality, which amounts to favouring protectionist measures meant to help – but that actually hurt – the American economy will be the new normal. The president-elect even made it one of his campaign slogans.

Within the Democratic Party, there is an anti-free-trade movement, fostered by the populist Bernie Sanders, that seems to be gaining ground despite the empirical economic evidence that discredits this 16th-century mercantilist vision. What’s more, Mr. Biden has openly admitted to being in favour of prohibiting Canadian companies from bidding on public infrastructure contracts at the state and municipal levels, something they currently can do.

Nor should we forget that Western Canada in particular will probably suffer, at least in certain respects, from the results of this election. Whereas Donald Trump had approved the Keystone XL pipeline that will provide more than 2,000 construction jobs to Albertans, Mr. Biden has promised to put an end to the energy project. Although Americans would lose quality jobs and economic activity that are sorely needed during this pandemic, this could also be another tough blow for Canadians.

Regardless of who sits in the Oval Office, it is hard to exaggerate how important trade with the United States is for Canada. In normal times, it accounts for 72.8 per cent of Canadian exports and 51.5 per cent of our imports.

Though the fact that we share a continent naturally facilitates trade and constitutes a mutual comparative advantage, this benefit can quickly dissipate owing to coercive protectionist measures and strained trade relations, as we have seen in the softwood lumber saga, where the two governments have been in mediation for years over tariffs. Turning inward has never promoted a general improvement in living standards.

Affected consumers must turn to other options, which consist of products that were presumably not their first choice because they were more expensive or of lower quality. Affected producers, for their part, have to deal with protectionist constraints and their attendant costs. Except for the specific companies or sectors protected by quotas and tariffs, everyone loses.

It’s not just a bilateral matter, either, since the United States imports raw materials and intermediate goods that it processes to then sell to us. Therefore, when U.S. trade with China or Europe deteriorates for political reasons, the products that they offer us generally become more expensive.

For example, the electronic devices we love, and on which you may be reading this, are made from dozens of components from all around the world, even if they are assembled in one specific location. If the trade relations between the countries that participate in the manufacture of such devices deteriorate, it is consumers who end up paying the price.

Free trade is more important than ever. Two-thirds of the tourists who visit Canada are American, and the COVID-19 health and political crisis has already reduced the tourism sector’s revenues by nearly $50-billion. With continued uncertainty regarding the anticipated arrival of a vaccine and the complete reopening of our borders, the free movement of goods is a lifeline we need to hang onto.

A retreat to protectionism is the last thing our two countries need.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-canada-should-beware-joe-bidens-buy-american-mentality/

• Like 2

On 11/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, Argus said:

Well then, I guess it's too bad the Republicans are such brainless, naive idiots that they couldn't do anything to prevent this, despite being in power, couldn't find any evidence of it, and of course, were to pure and noble to ever cheat themselves, eh? I guess they're just too stupid to be in power then.

You talk about being naive and brainless and yet you're still watching CNN and supporting Biden, who is the American equivalent of Trudeau, but possibly even dumber.

You do chime in on these issues a lot though for someone who doesn't know sweet FA about them.

FYI voting, even in the federal elections, isn't controlled by the federal government. The rules for voting in each state are made by the individual states. So your comment about "Trump's government not doing anything to prevent massive voter fraud" was made out of your complete ignorance, as usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case people who I have blocked are arguing FOX vs CNN - just know that FOX cut off the Trump news conference today saying they couldn't support letting baseless accusations fly:

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2020/foxs-cavuto-cuts-off-trump-campaign-presser-with-scathing-smackdown-i-cant-in-good-countenance-continue-showing-this/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

In case people who I have blocked are arguing FOX vs CNN - just know that FOX cut off the Trump news conference today saying they couldn't support letting baseless accusations fly:

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2020/foxs-cavuto-cuts-off-trump-campaign-presser-with-scathing-smackdown-i-cant-in-good-countenance-continue-showing-this/

I guess they don't want to be labeled as "fake news"

• Like 1

Netanyahu gives a lukewarm response to congratulate Joe Biden. Doesn't refer to him as president-elect. Also-

Netanyahu also wrote a statement thanking Trump for his work over the past four years, particularly for the “historic peace accords” from this past year.

I guess he knows who to thank.

Edited by OftenWrong
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mowich said:

You spelled "Chinese" wrong ;)

Biden plagiarized a bit of Trump's populist, common-sense message, but he's an influence-peddler at heart, and wherever the dirty money for the Bidens is is where his loyalty lies.

China's GDP growth will be meteoric over the next year. 

There are a lot of decent points in that post, sorry to chop into this short summary, but I don't have time to get into the heart of it.

Seriously, do you think that Biden is really protectionist at heart? He's definitely going to screw his own country's oil & gas sector to please Greta Thunberg (Mnuchin's replacement), and no doubt Canada's as well. 

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mowich said:

Then-presidential candidate Joe Biden speaks during a campaign event on manufacturing and buying American-made products at UAW Region 1 headquarters in Warren, Mich. on Sept. 9, 2020.

With our southern neighbours' recent election of Joe Biden, many commentators and interest groups have expressed relief at the arrival of this career politician with a calmer tone than his predecessor’s. But when it comes to economics, can we really expect a less protectionist president who will smooth trade relations with our country?

Like many international trade experts and diplomats, we do not think that this Democratic victory will necessarily mean freer trade between our two countries. While the disputes in the aluminum and steel sectors could settle down, several observations lead us to think that the famous “Buy American” mentality, which amounts to favouring protectionist measures meant to help – but that actually hurt – the American economy will be the new normal. The president-elect even made it one of his campaign slogans.

Within the Democratic Party, there is an anti-free-trade movement, fostered by the populist Bernie Sanders, that seems to be gaining ground despite the empirical economic evidence that discredits this 16th-century mercantilist vision. What’s more, Mr. Biden has openly admitted to being in favour of prohibiting Canadian companies from bidding on public infrastructure contracts at the state and municipal levels, something they currently can do.

Nor should we forget that Western Canada in particular will probably suffer, at least in certain respects, from the results of this election. Whereas Donald Trump had approved the Keystone XL pipeline that will provide more than 2,000 construction jobs to Albertans, Mr. Biden has promised to put an end to the energy project. Although Americans would lose quality jobs and economic activity that are sorely needed during this pandemic, this could also be another tough blow for Canadians.

Regardless of who sits in the Oval Office, it is hard to exaggerate how important trade with the United States is for Canada. In normal times, it accounts for 72.8 per cent of Canadian exports and 51.5 per cent of our imports.

Though the fact that we share a continent naturally facilitates trade and constitutes a mutual comparative advantage, this benefit can quickly dissipate owing to coercive protectionist measures and strained trade relations, as we have seen in the softwood lumber saga, where the two governments have been in mediation for years over tariffs. Turning inward has never promoted a general improvement in living standards.

Affected consumers must turn to other options, which consist of products that were presumably not their first choice because they were more expensive or of lower quality. Affected producers, for their part, have to deal with protectionist constraints and their attendant costs. Except for the specific companies or sectors protected by quotas and tariffs, everyone loses.

It’s not just a bilateral matter, either, since the United States imports raw materials and intermediate goods that it processes to then sell to us. Therefore, when U.S. trade with China or Europe deteriorates for political reasons, the products that they offer us generally become more expensive.

For example, the electronic devices we love, and on which you may be reading this, are made from dozens of components from all around the world, even if they are assembled in one specific location. If the trade relations between the countries that participate in the manufacture of such devices deteriorate, it is consumers who end up paying the price.

Free trade is more important than ever. Two-thirds of the tourists who visit Canada are American, and the COVID-19 health and political crisis has already reduced the tourism sector’s revenues by nearly $50-billion. With continued uncertainty regarding the anticipated arrival of a vaccine and the complete reopening of our borders, the free movement of goods is a lifeline we need to hang onto.

A retreat to protectionism is the last thing our two countries need.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-canada-should-beware-joe-bidens-buy-american-mentality/

You seem to have a deep understanding of all this, and your writing is excellent all around.

Do you work in journalism? 

14 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

You talk about being naive and brainless and yet you're still watching CNN and supporting Biden, who is the American equivalent of Trudeau, but possibly even dumber.

Did he have to pay someone to take his SAT tests in order to get into college?

14 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

FYI voting, even in the federal elections, isn't controlled by the federal government. The rules for voting in each state are made by the individual states. So your comment about "Trump's government not doing anything to prevent massive voter fraud" was made out of your complete ignorance, as usual.

All the state republican parties take their marching orders from Trump. Every single one. Trump's hold of the party is so complete they can't get elected in their gerrymandered Republican districts without praising Trump and promising obedience. He had only to question mail-in ballots to start state Republicans all across America instantly opposing mail-in ballots, limiting where and then they can be dropped off, limiting counting and cutting budgets. There is no independence from Trump in any Republican party organization.

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

You seem to have a deep understanding of all this, and your writing is excellent all around.

Do you work in journalism? 

No I am not a journalist, WestCan.  I try my best to read as much material on both sides of an issue before forming an opinion and then commenting. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

You spelled "Chinese" wrong ;)

Biden plagiarized a bit of Trump's populist, common-sense message, but he's an influence-peddler at heart, and wherever the dirty money for the Bidens is is where his loyalty lies.

China's GDP growth will be meteoric over the next year. 

There are a lot of decent points in that post, sorry to chop into this short summary, but I don't have time to get into the heart of it.

Seriously, do you think that Biden is really protectionist at heart? He's definitely going to screw his own country's oil & gas sector to please Greta Thunberg (Mnuchin's replacement), and no doubt Canada's as well. 

Whether he is 'at heart' a protectionist is not at issue.  He may very well see the problems inherent in closing the country's doors to free trade.   However, he is bound by his party's policies which clearly do not align with free trade.  

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Did he have to pay someone to take his SAT tests in order to get into college?

I doubt he had to, but we both know that he had enough money to pay someone else to do it. 

All the state republican parties take their marching orders from Trump. Every single one. Trump's hold of the party is so complete they can't get elected in their gerrymandered Republican districts without praising Trump and promising obedience. He had only to question mail-in ballots to start state Republicans all across America instantly opposing mail-in ballots, limiting where and then they can be dropped off, limiting counting and cutting budgets. There is no independence from Trump in any Republican party organization.

So you think that state republicans had the power to shut this down in those individual states, but they didn't? I'm not quite sure what more needs to be said about this particular topic Argus.

2 hours ago, mowich said:

Whether he is 'at heart' a protectionist is not at issue.  He may very well see the problems inherent in closing the country's doors to free trade.    

I don't think he's really anything at heart, I think he's just a power-hungry guy who likes to line his own pockets. 

However, he is bound by his party's policies

I wouldn't know what those are, I haven't read the Thunberg/AOC Manifesto yet lol(don't tell Nancy I said that, she still thinks that she's tha big boss lady).

which clearly do not align with free trade.

IMO the Dems are the party of virtue-signalling, and whatever direction the wind blows in 2021, Biden will have no choice but to follow. 

Right now the wind is blowing in 'the opposite direction of whatever Trump did'. If Trump says that he sits down to pee then the Dems will all start doing it standing up. 

Trump made some noise about being protectionist with the USMCA, I'm sure that the Dems will have to at least make the appearance of softening up trade deals around the edges "to undue the vast amount of damage that Trump's Presidency caused with our alliances".

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

I doubt he had to, but we both know that he had enough money to pay someone else to do it. 

So you think that state republicans had the power to shut this down in those individual states, but they didn't? I'm not quite sure what more needs to be said about this particular topic Argus.

I'm saying they could have cheated just as easily as Democrats. Easier in places like Georgia and Nevada.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

I'm saying they could have cheated just as easily as Democrats. Easier in places like Georgia and Nevada.

It'd be funny if the upcoming court cases and/or investigations demonstrated that Republicans did actually cheat, and Democrats did not.

But what I expect is that they'll find nobody actually cheated in any significant way.

13 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Trump is the literal definition of sleaze. From his scam enterprises like Trump U to his numerous affairs and sexual assaults  Let alone all the ways he’s used the White House for personal profit and influence peddling 

LMAO. You can't just make things up and recite them as factual evidence.

No assaults, zero WH profiteering, period on record. Nothing at all. Once again you're just lying.

The Dems are sleazebags who backed BLM and pretend that Antifa doesn't exist, they incited rioting & racial division by denigrating the police, they encouraged their idiot followers to harass members of the GOP, they threw infected people into care homes and blamed Trump for their deaths, and they cheated on this election and they're doing everything that they can to ensure that it isn't investigated.

Every single thing that I said is verified & it's all common knowledge. You need to get a TV, or the internet dude. If you have those things then you need to RTFM.

3 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

LMAO. You can't just make things up and recite them as factual evidence.

No assaults, zero WH profiteering, period on record. Nothing at all. Once again you're just lying.

The Dems are sleazebags who backed BLM and pretend that Antifa doesn't exist, they incited rioting & racial division by denigrating the police, they encouraged their idiot followers to harass members of the GOP, they threw infected people into care homes and blamed Trump for their deaths, and they cheated on this election and they're doing everything that they can to ensure that it isn't investigated.

Every single thing that I said is verified & it's all common knowledge. You need to get a TV, or the internet dude. If you have those things then you need to RTFM.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-sexual-assault-allegations-all-list-misconduct-karen-johnson-how-many-a9149216.html%3famp

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5216437

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/04/10/politics/trump-university-settlement-finalized-trnd/index.html

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp/ncna1238684

Any time you feel like coming out from under that rock.....

13 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Get a life.

He theoretically tried to kiss some girls, none of them have witnesses or police reports, and I'm supposed to buy into this crap after you guys lost all credibility pushing the Kavanaugh rape farce?

You must be high.

Actual rape is like what Bill Clinton was accused of, biting a woman's lip and forcing her to have intercourse. From Wiki:

1978: Her account[edit]

Broaddrick, who was known as Juanita Hickey at the time, first met Clinton when he made a visit to her nursing home during his 1978 gubernatorial campaign. Clinton was the Arkansas Attorney General at the time. Broaddrick wanted to volunteer for the campaign, and says Clinton invited her to stop by the campaign office in Little Rock.[11] She said she contacted the office a few weeks later while in the area for a nursing home conference and that Clinton said he would not be in the campaign office that day and suggested they meet at her hotel's coffee shop instead. Upon his arrival, however, he allegedly requested that they instead have coffee in her room to avoid a crowd of reporters in the lobby, and Broaddrick agreed.[3]

Broaddrick said the two spoke briefly in her room, with Clinton describing plans he had to renovate a prison visible from her window if he became governor. Then, according to Broaddrick, Clinton suddenly kissed her. Broaddrick says she pushed Clinton away and told him she was married and not interested, but he persisted. As recounted in the NBC interview:[3]

Then he tries to kiss me again. And the second time he tries to kiss me he starts biting my lip ... He starts to, um, bite on my top lip and I tried to pull away from him. And then he forces me down on the bed. And I just was very frightened, and I tried to get away from him and I told him 'No,' that I didn't want this to happen but he wouldn't listen to me. ... It was a real panicky, panicky situation. I was even to the point where I was getting very noisy, you know, yelling to 'Please stop.' And that's when he pressed down on my right shoulder and he would bite my lip. ... When everything was over with, he got up and straightened himself, and I was crying at the moment and he walks to the door, and calmly puts on his sunglasses. And before he goes out the door he says 'You better get some ice on that.' And he turned and went out the door.

When asked if there was any way Clinton could have thought it was consensual, Broaddrick said "No, not with what I told him and with how I tried to push him away. It was not consensual."[3]

Broaddrick shared the hotel room with her friend and employee Norma Rogers. Rogers attended a conference seminar that morning, and says she returned to their room to find Broaddrick on the bed "in a state of shock", with her pantyhose torn in the crotch and her lip swollen as though she had been hit. Rogers says Broaddrick told her Clinton had "forced himself on her".[11] Rogers helped Broaddrick ice her lip, and then the women left Little Rock. Rogers said that Broaddrick was very upset on the way home and blamed herself for letting Clinton in the room.[3] Broaddrick says she did not tell her husband, Gary Hickey, about the incident, and told him she accidentally injured her lip. He told NBC he did not remember the injury or her explanation.[3][12] David Broaddrick, however, has said he noticed her injured lip, and she told him that Clinton had raped her when he asked about it. Three other friends confirmed that Broaddrick had told them about the incident at the time: Susan Lewis; Louis Ma; and Jean Darden, Norma Rogers' sister.[3] Broaddrick did not recall the date of the alleged incident, but said it was spring of 1978 and that she had stayed in the Camelot Hotel. Records show Broaddrick attended a nursing home meeting at the Camelot Hotel in Little Rock on April 25, 1978.[3][12] The Clinton White House would not respond to requests for Clinton's official schedule for the date,[13] but news reports suggest that he was in Little Rock that day, with no official commitments in the morning.[3]

Three weeks after the alleged assault, Broaddrick participated in a small Clinton fundraiser at the home of a local dentist. Broaddrick said she was "in denial" and felt guilty, thinking that she had given Clinton the wrong idea by letting him into her room.[3] When she arrived at the event, she says, her friend who had picked the Clintons up from the airport told her that Hillary Clinton had asked if she would be at the event. Broaddrick says Bill Clinton did not speak to her at the event, but Hillary Clinton approached her, took her hand, and said "I just want you to know how much Bill and I appreciate what you do for him." When Broaddrick moved her hand away, she says, Hillary Clinton held on to her and said, "Do you understand? Everything that you do." Broaddrick says she felt nauseated and left the gathering. Broaddrick says she interpreted the incident as Hillary Clinton thanking her for keeping quiet.[14][15][16]

You like to ignore actual, serious crimes and focus on the petty high-school allegations of some floozies with no evidence and a desire to be famous. 

You must have a poster of Lisa Swetnick on your wall lol. 

6 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Funny sentiment from you, given the “election fraud” claims you’re making woth ZERO evidence and every state official denying it. 

What have you said that’s “verified”?

Look through the list of things I mentioned there and let me know what you question.

I can even show you video of Nadler and Biden saying that Antifa is just an idea and not an actual group of people. It's freaking absurd. Are religious groups fake too?