Liberals to greatly increase immigration in coming years.

Argus

45 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

It's not the amount of stuff in the holy books that matters.  It's who pays attention to it, and how much that matters.

That much is really obvious, and it's disingenuous to claim otherwise.

So are you saying Muslims are unable to ignore the awful parts of the holy books while others can ?

Or are you saying that they are the same as others... some Muslims are extremists and that can't be attributed to the religion they adhere to alone ?

The implications are that 'banning Muslims' might actually not be a great idea.

11 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

So are you saying Muslims are unable to ignore the awful parts of the holy books while others can ?

Or are you saying that they are the same as others... some Muslims are extremists and that can't be attributed to the religion they adhere to alone ?

I wouldn't ban Muslims!  The very thought!

I'm saying more Muslims choose not to ignore the awful parts of the holy books than practitioners of other religions. 

Are you saying that is not the case?

They are the same as others, except in number.  Then they are different.  There's just a lot more of them.

Edited by bcsapper

36 minutes ago, Shady said:

1. How about we let people already here fill those jobs?  

2.There are thousands of students in software development in Canada already.  

3. Companies prefer to bring in foreign workers because they can get away with paying them less than they’d have to pay for a domestic worker of the same job.  

1. Presumably there aren't a ton of unemployed software developers laying about.
2. Demand > Supply
3. Sometimes.  But the Conservative fake-concern over wages only flares up when foreigners are involved, it seems to me. There is this thing called a 'market' that they usually like.

7 hours ago, Marocc said:

24:31"And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests"

33:59 "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful."

What are you talking about?

Given this scripture would you say that the hijab and ie: covering legs and cleavage with clothes is reasonable but given 33:59 the burka and niqab are unreasonable?  "That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed."

6 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Given this scripture would you say that the hijab and ie: covering legs and cleavage with clothes is reasonable but given 33:59 the burka and niqab are unreasonable?  "That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed."

It means recognised as Muslims.

17 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Remember people, if something hates all Muslims it's incorrect and actually impolite to call them a racist.

Define 'hates all Muslims'. Would, for example, France's President qualify. A lot of Muslims seem to think so.

17 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

And now back to uncited generalizations about foreigners...

You mean like:

In general, immigrants, both recent and established, were much more likely than Canadian-born individuals to have inadequate literacy skills. For example, 65 per cent of recent immigrants (those arriving in Canada within the last 10 years) and 63 per cent of established immigrant (those who have lived in Canada for more than 10 years) in Quebec had inadequate literacy skills.  https://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/provincial/education/adlt-lowlit.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

The English language curriculum used in Taiwan and mainland China gives credence to reading and writing over speaking and listening. As a result, most students migrate to Canada with excellent reading and writing abilities. However, they soon discover that such brilliant English skills are not adequate to enable them communicate and study in Canada. https://ivypanda.com/essays/language-problems-facing-chinese-migrants-in-canada/

10 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

'Drawing down the veil' is ordained in the Quran to prevent abuse. Trouble is...this extends to non-believers of Islam.

As an expert on Islam and Muslims, glad to have your input.

I love it when you come in these threads and with high confidence announce the dangers of Islam and Muslims. I mean, take a look at the issues we have right here in Canada, where Muslims are pushing their veils onto our women!

You have been warning everyone for years. One Muslim terrorist attack after another in Canada.

Glad to have you here!

On 11/17/2020 at 10:43 AM, DogOnPorch said:

Those FOBs that do manage some English...do so in pidgin fashion.

Could you tell us more about the FOBs?

That's gotta be a factor, eh? After the dozenth incorrect order at Burger King...I'm thinking so...

"Frick...only one Whopper, again."

A man with your class and the love for the finer things in life must enjoy whoppers at least twice a week?

Edited by marcus

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

3. Sometimes.  But the Conservative fake-concern over wages only flares up when foreigners are involved, it seems to me. There is this thing called a 'market' that they usually like.

We still like the market. But unlike globalists we don't believe in an unrestricted global market for labour. We don't think bringing in masses of people who think a dollar an hour is a huge pay rate is good for Canadians. We don't want our standard of living deteriorating so the globalists can rejoice in the number of ethnic stores and restaurants they see when they go walkies with their poodle.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

People who don't like Muslims engage in the following circular logic:

1) They point to the Quran as a reason why Muslims are unlikeable, ie. that the holy book has an unnatural influence on its adherents. 
2) When you point out that the Judeo-Christian holy book has edicts that advance violent reprisal for sinful behaviour they respond "but Christians and Jews ignore those passages"

I cannot believe you're trying to make such a bankrupt argument here, when it has been explained repeatedly in the many topics you have chosen to take part that Christianity and Judaism went through reformation periods where their holy books were reinterpreted in the light of more modern and moderate thinking. You must know this. You're too educated not to. So why do you even try to make this argument?

Islam has never gone through a reformation period. The Qran is considered by ALL Muslims as the direct word of God. It is therefore blaspheme to change. The last time it was interpreted by a meeting of Islamic scholars was several hundred years ago and that was considered perfect. Any variation from that interpretation is again considered blaspheme.

And blaspheme draws the death penalty under Islam. Why do you think all Muslim states still have laws against blaspheme, some with the death penalty, but Christian states do not?

Here is an example of two provinces, who are experiencing different economic growth:

New Brunswick vs PEI

Statistics Canada reported its latest estimates show New Brunswick's economy grew by 1.2 per cent in 2019.  It was the slowest growth in any province east of Manitoba, and the tenth year in a row New Brunswick's economy has expanded at a rate below the national average. 

Several thousand metres across the Northumberland Strait, however, it has been a completely different decade.

Prince Edward Island's economy has grown 25.2 per cent over the last 10 years, slightly more than Canada's with growth rates in each of the last five years all above the national average.

Why?

Cory Renner, an economist with the Conference Board of Canada, said a number of  issues differentiate New Brunswick from Prince Edward Island. But the most significant factor in their divergent fortunes is P.E.I.'s success at attracting immigrants and growing its population.

Oh.

"The biggest thing that actually explains the growth differentials is that P.E.I. has had a very successful immigration program, said Renner.

"P.E.I. has had well above average population growth over the last few years, and that good population growth goes back for about a decade. So as you bring in more people, you know, the economy grows, they spend money. And then when you have people, you also attract investment."

Prince Edward Island adopted aggressive population growth targets early in the 2000s and has welcomed 19,285 immigrants since 2010, triple the per capita amount that has come to New Brunswick.

Not all have stayed in P.E.I.,  but those who did helped the island grow its population by 13 per cent in 10 years, triggering significant new investments in residential construction and growth in employment and consumer demand. 

The influx has also helped plug gaps in Prince Edward Island's labour market. 

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I guess the implication is if the Bible had a few additional books of leviticus we'd all be knifing each other for wearing poly fibres. 

Do you know any Christian church which holds by the guidance of Leviticus? You're aware, of course, that it is the New Testament which Christianity is based upon, yes?

Is it really so shocking to you to imagine that a religion based on a wandering hippy who preached love and tolerance is going to be somewhat different from one started by a brutal warlord who slaughtered anyone who dared challenge him?

The violent laws and rules in Islam are not disputed or opposed by ANY Islamic scholars. Do you understand that?

Does ANYBODY oppose the idea of bringing Indian software developers to Canada to fill empty jobs ?  Given that the jobs pay much above the median wage and the taxes they pay would offset the costs of bringing them over.

You're goddam right I'm opposed to it. You can start bringing them in when two thirds of recent software engineering graduates don't leave for the US because of the low wages here. Low wages CAUSED by all these immigrants you guys want to bring in to work dirt cheap.

Edited by Argus

1 hour ago, Minnetonka said:

Who is going to do the immigrants' work if they aren't here to do it? Can we count on you to eviscerate hundreds of chickens a day or change old people's diapers so the rest of us don't have to?

Do you understand how Capitalism works?

1 hour ago, Minnetonka said:

The financial gurus have determined that for the economy to run smoothly, we need X number of immigrants willing to do the shit work that's beneath you and me.

Oh, the financial gurus. Okay, cite, please. I want to see the economic/demographic studies which say that Canada needs 400k immigrants in order to get by.

The truth is you don't know a bloody thing about economics or demographics or immigration. Nor have you ever bothered to look into it. You're convinced of your position because you've heard a few politicians say these things, or maybe read an editorial or two. But you've never actually looked into it yourself because questioning things is not your thing.

Are you saying that Muslim leaders tell them to ignore those parts? That Muslim scholars have said such parts are no longer the law for Muslims? Because Christian leaders long ago explained away the awful parts of the bible and said they weren't meant to be taken literally.

Right. Christian extremists murdering people all over the world every day, right? That happens a lot, does it?

The policy  you are actively defending calls for bringing in 20% of our population within the next 20 years. They will join another 22% of the population who are foreign born. There is absolutely no way for all these newcomers to integrate in that time period and yet they will make up half or nearly half our population. Therefor our culture and values will be adapting to theirs. Overall, given the countries our immigrants come from, that will be a culture which is FAR more intolerant, more misogynistic, antisemitic and homophobic,  and more religious.

1. Presumably there aren't a ton of unemployed software developers laying about.
2. Demand > Supply

Which is why 66% of recent software engineers left for the US, right?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/technology/article-canada-facing-brain-drain-as-young-tech-talent-leaves-for-silicon/

21 minutes ago, Argus said:

Overall, given the countries our immigrants come from, that will be a culture which is FAR more intolerant, more misogynistic, antisemitic and homophobic,  and more religious.

I automatically translate those words in my head to what you think they mean instead of what they actually mean and see that maybe you're not completely doomed after all.

50 minutes ago, marcus said:

As an expert on Islam and Muslims, glad to have your input.

I love it when you come in these threads and with high confidence announce the dangers of Islam and Muslims. I mean, take a look at the issues we have right here in Canada, where Muslims are pushing their veils onto our women!

You have been warning everyone for years. One Muslim terrorist attack after another in Canada.

Glad to have you here!

Could you tell us more about the FOBs?

A man with your class and the love for the finer things in life must enjoy whoppers at least twice a week?

I accept that all you have is personal attacks.

Thus I also accept your surrender.

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

I accept that all you have is personal attacks.

Thus I also accept your surrender.

How is that an attack? I'm just in awe of your consistency. You have been warning everyone about how evil Islam and Muslims are and how our society is in danger ever since I started on this forum.

Every time I see a Muslim, your warnings of them reverberate in my thoughts. I have to be careful though, as sometimes I get them FOBs and goat-herders mixed up. I don't want to get a hindu Indian-Canadian mixed up with a Muslim Indian-Canadian. Also, sometimes I'm not really sure if one of those FOB women is a Muslim or not, because, now get this... only half of Muslim-Canadian women wear the hijab.

You just never know.

Never surrender!!!

Edited by marcus

7 minutes ago, marcus said:

Also, sometimes I'm not really sure if one of those FOB women is a Muslim or not, because, now get this... only half of Muslim-Canadian women wear the hijab.

Don't worry. The numbers of Muslim-Canadian women wearing hijabs and burkas is rising steadily. Soon peer pressure will assure they all wear them.

32 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I wouldn't ban Muslims!  The very thought!

I'm saying more Muslims choose not to ignore the awful parts of the holy books than practitioners of other religions. 

Are you saying that is not the case?

They are the same as others, except in number.  Then they are different.  There's just a lot more of them.

I think you have that pretty much spot on.   ANY religious fundamentalist/fanatic from ANY religion can and often IS picking and choosing the worst part of whatever storybook their cult/fantasies refers to that suits the agenda of their faction.  Muslims are little different from Christians for the most part - tolerance is preached to and given credence in most major religions, and intolerance is similarly a common trait of fundamentalism.

• Thanks 1