Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies at 87

7 hours ago, Shady said:

But they’re the ones that started the debacle.  They’re the ones that invented the so-called Biden rule, holding up previous judicial appointments, notably during the Reagan administration.  

You're right of course but are you sure you aren't confusing what McConnell calls the Biden rule with Harry Reid's "nuclear option."

In 2013, Reid invoked the “nuclear option,” a historic move that changed a long-standing Senate rule, dropping the number of votes needed to overcome a filibuster from 60 to a simple majority for executive appointments and most judicial nominations — a decision he justified because of trouble getting through court confirmations in the latter half of the Obama Administration.

https://time.com/5324365/harry-reid-filibuster-reform-supreme-court/

Republican John Thune was prophetic on that one when he said: 

“What goes around comes around. And someday they’re going to be in the minority,”

11 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I'm in favour of judges who are unbiased, and unburdened by religious beliefs. Especially the latter.  If all things were equal, there would be no rush to jam another in just before the election.

Religious beliefs are none of your concern sapper. ACB showed a long history of making precise rulings which were in line with the constitution. By rights, that's all you have to base your decision on without prejudice due to sexual orientation, race, or religion. 

See, you just got hoisted on your own petard re: the bias issue.

As to your last question, not off the top of my head, no.  That doesn't mean anything.  It's not something I pay particular attention to, and not something I would file away for future use.  I'm sure it has happened. 

So you're admitting to complete ignorance on the issue, yet you have the gall to question the integrity of sitting US Senators based on a hunch. Thanks for playing.

9 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Religious beliefs are none of your concern sapper. ACB showed a long history of making precise rulings which were in line with the constitution. By rights, that's all you have to base your decision on without prejudice due to sexual orientation, race, or religion. 

See, you just got hoisted on your own petard re: the bias issue.

So you're admitting to complete ignorance on the issue, yet you have the gall to question the integrity of sitting US Senators based on a hunch. Thanks for playing.

I said I was ignorant of anything the Dems have done.  How come you turned that into a problem with me finding the Republicans to be jerks?

As far as my petard, no, I didn't.   If ACB can leave her religion at home then all well and good.  Abortion, gay rights, etc, are safe.  I'm okay with that.

4 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

If ACB can leave her religion at home then all well and good.  Abortion, gay rights, etc, are safe.  I'm okay with that.

Despite all the hysterics from the Democrats and friends, the woman seems more than reasonable and qualified.

6 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Despite all the hysterics from the Democrats and friends, the woman seems more than reasonable and qualified.

I think her main qualification is that she'll probably be around for a long time.

I read somewhere that she hasn't been a judge for very long.  Three years?

But who knows what the qualifications for a SCJ are anyway? I don't.  It certainly seems to be political bias.  Otherwise, why the rush?

4 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I think her main qualification is that she'll probably be around for a long time.

I read somewhere that she hasn't been a judge for very long.  Three years?

But who knows what the qualifications for a SCJ are anyway? I don't.  It certainly seems to be political bias.  Otherwise, why the rush?

Three years as judge in the Appeals Court. But also taught constitutional law at Notre Dame. Not Harvard...

The Democrats can scream all they wish; the President nominates and the Senate confirms. Not Nancy Pelosi...not you...not I. That's the procedure. It certainly isn't to appease one's political opponents. If the Democrats don't like it...elect more Senators. I know...that's pretty radical thinking.....following the rules.

Edited by DogOnPorch

4 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I said I was ignorant of anything the Dems have done.  How come you turned that into a problem with me finding the Republicans to be jerks?

It's like if Graham James and Clifford Olson are sitting in a room and you say "That Graham James would be the worst babysitter ever."

As far as my petard, no, I didn't.   If ACB can leave her religion at home then all well and good.  Abortion, gay rights, etc, are safe.  I'm okay with that.

You shouldn't just make an accusation against her and her religion when it's completely unfounded and ignorant, that's all. 

7 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

It's like if Graham James and Clifford Olson are sitting in a room and you say "That Graham James would be the worst babysitter ever."

You shouldn't just make an accusation against her and her religion when it's completely unfounded and ignorant, that's all. 

It's not unfounded and ignorant at all.  It seems to be a position quite commonly held, both amongst her detractors and her supporters.

Even on here, I think I saw cheers for the unborn.

Of course it might never happen.  That's always a possibility. 

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

It's not unfounded and ignorant at all.  It seems to be a position quite commonly held, both amongst her detractors and her supporters.

Damn Catholic nutbars. Joe Biden is Catholic. Does that disqualify him from being President?

7 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Damn Catholic nutbars. Joe Biden is Catholic. Does that disqualify him from being President?

It might, according to some.  He does seem to have that RC proclivity towards forgiveness and understanding.  Especially of rioters. 

Or so I read.

Anyway, as  said, I'm perfectly happy with her being on the SC as long as she leaves her religion at home.  I can't imagine why those who greedily embarrassed themselves to get her on there before the election would be though.

Edited by bcsapper

Just now, bcsapper said:

It might, according to some.  He does seem to have that RC proclivity towards forgiveness and understanding.  Especially of rioters. 

Or so I read.

Anyway, as  said, I'm pefectly happy with her being on the SC as long as she leaves her religion at home.  I can't imagine why those who greedily embarrassed themselves to get her on there before the election would be though.

I watched those hearings when able. I didn't hear one crazed religious nutbar thing out of her mouth. 

What I did hear was crazed nutbar questions from the Democrats...accusing her of rape and racism among other imagined crimes.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Im not religious at all and I'm not a fan of late-term abortion. It's a humanity issue, not a religious one.

1 minute ago, WestCanMan said:

Im not religious at all and I'm not a fan of late-term abortion. It's a humanity issue, not a religious one.

Abortion as a form of birth control is murder, frankly. There are very good methods of birth control that don't involve killing babies. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

It is for you.  The issue of choice is a humanity issue for me. 

10 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Abortion as a form of birth control is murder, frankly. There are very good methods of birth control that don't involve killing babies. 

I don't ask why a choice is made.  I don't care if an abortion is carried out because the mother's life is in danger, or if it's because the baby isn't going to be the right sex.  I'm pro-choice, not pro-abortion.  I don't get to vet. 

12 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

I watched those hearings when able. I didn't hear one crazed religious nutbar thing out of her mouth. 

What I did hear was crazed nutbar questions from the Democrats...accusing her of rape and racism among other imagined crimes.

She would have to be pretty dumb to say crazed religious nutbar things during her confirmation hearing.  I don't think she's dumb.

11 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Late-term abortion is not a humanity issue, unless it's for health reasons. It's a matter of convenience.

I wouldn't know.  I'm for the choice.  I don't ask why they made the choice.

47 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Late-term abortion is not a humanity issue, unless it's for health reasons. It's a matter of convenience.

Don't know what could possibly be convenient about choosing to carry a fetus for six+ months, through morning sickness, emotional chaos, achy boobs, tiny kicks and punches, emotional attachment, stretch marks, just to have a surgical procedure followed by days or weeks of bleeding and pain.

If you think woman routinely "choose" late term abortion because it's "convenient", you are a complete and utter moron and fool.  

Edited by dialamah

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

She would have to be pretty dumb to say crazed religious nutbar things during her confirmation hearing.  I don't think she's dumb.

No but the Democrats doing the Dean Martin roast on her were. Idiots, in fact.

10 hours ago, dialamah said:

Don't know what could possibly be convenient about choosing to carry a fetus for six+ months, through morning sickness, emotional chaos, achy boobs, tiny kicks and punches, emotional attachment, stretch marks, just to have a surgical procedure followed by days or weeks of bleeding and pain.

If you think woman routinely "choose" late term abortion because it's "convenient", you are a complete and utter moron and fool.  

I'm the moron here?

1) FYI not everyone gets morning sickness. My wife never got it once through 3 pregnancies, and 2) at 6 months pregnant women are just starting to get big. You'd have to be carrying some baby Shaq to get big enough to have stretch marks after just 6 months.