I love how Canadians hate America so much but can't do anything about it.

All they can do is whinge whinge whinge about how bad the American government is and how stupid the American people are to no avail.  Hopeless and angry all the time because they can't stop the USA, just like they stopped the Nazis and the Japanese. All they can do is hope.... wish..... that America collapses and that millions of Americans die in the process and that America will be no more. They are afraid, just like their European masters, to make this happen through force, they are afraid to lose their lives, their property, and everything that they love which a lot comes from America. Of course they don't want to admit this otherwise it would feed the American ego.

Canucks, stop lying to yourselves that you care for the welfare of humanity. All this "we hate them because they bomb other countries and kill other people" is utter BS. If you truly hated them for that, then why haven't you stopped them, hmm? Answer me that. Come on, answer me that! Why didn't you stop the Vietnam War? The Invasion of Panama? The Afghan War? The Iraq War? Why haven't you shot down their drones which I thought is killing thousands of innocent people? Why is Canada still allied with the evil USA? Why is Canada still trading with the evil USA? Why does canuckland still have treaties with the evil USA? Come on canucks! Give me an answer. You can't be selective of what you want and don't want for the rest of your lives.

Just admit that you hate them because just like your European masters, Canadians cannot believe that a bunch of traitors, inferiors, mongrels, outcasts, were able to build such a powerful nation. You cannot believe that such a stupid bunch of inferiors are able to hold on to such a great power. You cannot believe that out of all the nations out there, you had to build one right next to theirs. You cannot believe that out of all the nations out there that you could have built a strong economy with, you just had to build it with them. You cannot believe that out of all the nations out there, America is the one you need the most to survive. But of course, you will never admit this because that would feed the hated American ego.

I find Canadians to be far more arrogant and just plain downright annoying compared to Americans. At least the Americans can back their words up. What do Canadians have to show for?

On 9/17/2020 at 6:59 AM, cantstopnow said:

What do Canadians have to show for?

A higher standard of living, longer life expediency, a less politically divided society, a lot less people dying from COVID-19, Universal Healthcare. 

Should I go on? 

BTW I love America. I miss being able to go. It's a novelty to visit a First World country that has such a different culture. But right now a large faction of the country are objects of ridicule. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boges said:

A higher standard of living, longer life expediency, a less politically divided society, a lot less people dying from COVID-19, Universal Healthcare. 

Should I go on? 

No, because it is not about you.   Many Canadians do hate Americans and America, while others don't.  This pre-dates Trump by many decades...Trump only makes the Canadian hatred more obvious and visible.   The hatred and identity definition(s) conflicts with the reality of Canada's economic and military dependence on the Americans, manifesting in such neuroses.

...Judging, teasing and even hating America is a central part of the Canadian identity, and forms a persistant bias that runs through most aspects of Canadian society and culture. For various reasons, the default position of a great many Canadians is that America, Americans, and American things are generally bad, and need to be opposed. These feelings are not always logical and consistent, and are often hypocritical in practice. Yet they do exist, and understanding their powerful role in shaping Canadian society is a vital part of understanding what makes Canadians Canadian.

https://thecanadaguide.com/culture/anti-americanism/

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Based on today's news that a potential lame duck president and Congress could reverse Roe v Wade, that'll be a huge reason to look at the US as a political dinosaur. A country ruled by the few that cling to a single issue in the name of God. 

Perfect example of Canadian hypocrisy....abortions are more readily available in the United States than in several provinces.   Canadian women crossed the border to get abortions in America.

"Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law"

Nevertheless....must hate America...it defines the Canadian identity as described above.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

On 9/17/2020 at 6:59 AM, cantstopnow said:

All they can do is whinge whinge whinge about how bad the American government is and how stupid the American people are to no avail.  Hopeless and angry all the time because they can't stop the USA, just like they stopped the Nazis and the Japanese. All they can do is hope.... wish..... that America collapses and that millions of Americans die in the process and that America will be

I once took a poo in a toilet in Florida and didn't flush it.  Take that America!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Perfect example of Canadian hypocrisy....abortions are more readily available in the United States than in several provinces.   Canadian women crossed the border to get abortions in America.

"Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law"

Nevertheless....must hate America...it defines the Canadian identity as described above.

It's not banned in Canada. 

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

It's not banned in Canada. 

That isn't the point....they may as well be because of such limited access in several provinces and territories.

Quebec still sends late terms abortion patients to the evil USA, because doctors won't/wouldn't  perform them there.

Not only is abortion not banned in the U.S., a women can actually get one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

Abortion in Canada is legal at all stages of pregnancy and funded in part by the Canada Health Act.  While some non-legal barriers to access continue to exist, such as lacking equal access to providers, Canada is the only nation with absolutely no specific legal restrictions on abortion.

Lack of legal restrictions is not the same as access to medical services.    Quebec still sends women to the United States for late term abortions because many doctors refuse to perform them.

...another reason to hate America and Americans....better access to abortions than in Canada:

As a Canadian doctor practicing in the U.S., Gunter also points out that she often encounters Americans who assume Canada’s relative lack of restriction means more abortions are performed here than in the States. In fact, the opposite is true. In 2014, the last year American data is available, there were 12.1 abortions performed per 1000 women aged 15-44 in the U.S.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 3:59 AM, cantstopnow said:

All they can do is whinge whinge whinge about how bad the American government is and how stupid the American people are to no avail.  Hopeless and angry all the time because they can't stop the USA, just like they stopped the Nazis and the Japanese. All they can do is hope.... wish..... that America collapses and that millions of Americans die in the process and that America will be no more. They are afraid, just like their European masters, to make this happen through force, they are afraid to lose their lives, their property, and everything that they love which a lot comes from America. Of course they don't want to admit this otherwise it would feed the American ego.

Canucks, stop lying to yourselves that you care for the welfare of humanity. All this "we hate them because they bomb other countries and kill other people" is utter BS. If you truly hated them for that, then why haven't you stopped them, hmm? Answer me that. Come on, answer me that! Why didn't you stop the Vietnam War? The Invasion of Panama? The Afghan War? The Iraq War? Why haven't you shot down their drones which I thought is killing thousands of innocent people? Why is Canada still allied with the evil USA? Why is Canada still trading with the evil USA? Why does canuckland still have treaties with the evil USA? Come on canucks! Give me an answer. You can't be selective of what you want and don't want for the rest of your lives.

Just admit that you hate them because just like your European masters, Canadians cannot believe that a bunch of traitors, inferiors, mongrels, outcasts, were able to build such a powerful nation. You cannot believe that such a stupid bunch of inferiors are able to hold on to such a great power. You cannot believe that out of all the nations out there, you had to build one right next to theirs. You cannot believe that out of all the nations out there that you could have built a strong economy with, you just had to build it with them. You cannot believe that out of all the nations out there, America is the one you need the most to survive. But of course, you will never admit this because that would feed the hated American ego.

I find Canadians to be far more arrogant and just plain downright annoying compared to Americans. At least the Americans can back their words up. What do Canadians have to show for?

I love how Americans brag about being the biggest, meanest dog on the block and then melt down into childlike tantrums whenever they think they're not getting the love they need and deserve. Criticize anything about the USA in the presence of Americans and watch the group self-pity party kick into gear. Anywhere you go in the world, if there's Americans there they demand that they get an extra share of empathy and soothing, salving cuddles. It's the cause of more eye-rolling and face-palming than a roomful of spoiled brats. 

28 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada is a great country to call home.

Every Canadian should be proud of their country, even if it smacks of "American style...oh no!"...nationalism.

National pride makes Canadians a little uncomfortable. We hesitate to express pride in something we had no part in, like being born Canadian. Americans jump all over any chance to be proud of what previous generations accomplished, like high school kids swelling with pride at the three consecutive championship banners from 5 years ago hanging from the gymnasium ceiling. One thing every American should bear in mind- it doesn't matter if they're 4 years old or 44, America was a better country the day they were born than it is today. Americans are squandering their inheritance. Their grandparents wouldn't recognize what they've done with their country.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." -Oscar Wilde-

4 minutes ago, Grand Mal said:

National pride makes Canadians a little uncomfortable. We hesitate to express pride in something we had no part in, like being born Canadian. Americans jump all over any chance to be proud of what previous generations accomplished,

Correct...Americans are proud of who they are and what they have done....and what they will do.  

Their identity is not defined by what they are not, unlike many Canadians who define their identity as NOT AMERICAN.

...big difference.

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Correct...Americans are proud of who they are and what they have done....and what they will do.  

Their identity is not defined by what they are not, unlike many Canadians who define their identity as NOT AMERICAN.

...big difference.

Wrong. Canadians don't define Canadians. We don't insist on a Canadian identity, we don't use the word "assimilate" about immigrants. Yeah, we insist on the difference between us and Americans the same way we insist on the difference between us and Brits or French or everyone else. What you're doing is what Americans are known for, making everything somehow about it's relationship to the US. 

12 minutes ago, Grand Mal said:

Wrong. Canadians don't define Canadians. We don't insist on a Canadian identity, we don't use the word "assimilate" about immigrants. Yeah, we insist on the difference between us and Americans the same way we insist on the difference between us and Brits or French or everyone else. What you're doing is what Americans are known for, making everything somehow about it's relationship to the US. 

No, you are in denial.   I have already provided the !American identity narrative written by Canadians, not Americans.  It is well known and routinely acknowledged.   You just did it again in the post above.

As for the French and Canadian identity, I leave that to you and Quebec.

I know if you try hard enough you can define what it means to be Canadian without referring to Americans, Brits, or the French.

51 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

No, you are in denial.   I have already provided the !American identity narrative written by Canadians, not Americans.  It is well known and routinely acknowledged.   You just did it again in the post above.

As for the French and Canadian identity, I leave that to you and Quebec.

I know if you try hard enough you can define what it means to be Canadian without referring to Americans, Brits, or the French.

Sorry, you didn't provide anything. Certainly not anything "well known and routinely acknowledged". Well, maybe well known and routinely acknowledged in the US, where everything is defined by It's relationship to the US, but in fact most Canadians don't pay any attention to the difference between us and Americans. We just take it as a given, especially since the difference is reinforced by everyone else around the world. There's no risk of confusing the two, no need to emphasize the difference.

Want a bit of fun? Next time you go outside of America -uh, you are American, right? Next time you go to another country, see if you can pull off impersonating a Canadian. Just for shits and giggles. If you do pull it off, see how your reception is different from when you were recieved as an American. My money says you couldn't be taken as Canadian, but I bet I could be taken for American. Which says Americans are defined as not Canadian.

54 minutes ago, Grand Mal said:

Sorry, you didn't provide anything. Certainly not anything "well known and routinely acknowledged". Well, maybe well known and routinely acknowledged in the US, where everything is defined by It's relationship to the US, but in fact most Canadians don't pay any attention to the difference between us and Americans. We just take it as a given, especially since the difference is reinforced by everyone else around the world. There's no risk of confusing the two, no need to emphasize the difference.

Demonstrably false....examples from Canada are easy to find:

J.L. Granatstein - Yankee Go Home "Canadians and Anti-Americanism" (1996)

http://theconcordian.com/2017/09/being-canadian-rather-than-not-american/

https://nationalpost.com/life/food/i-am-not-american-what-can-beer-ads-tell-us-about-our-national-identity

Morris and Kling’s ideas of the quintessential American — even if conceived partially in jest — have nothing to do with Canada, it goes without saying. Molson’s vision of the typical Canadian, meanwhile, is defined explicitly in relation to our neighbours to the south: “The Rant” is a diatribe against American preconceptions of our country, against the influence of American popular culture, and for the little things that differentiate us, for “zee” versus “zed” and a Prime Minister versus a President, about which we are duly protective. Aside from a national enthusiasm for hockey and an unexplained assertion of greatness, “The Rant” doesn’t explain anything about what it means to be Canadian other than what it means we are not. I Am Canadian, sure. Or: I Am Not American.

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/the-dollar/the-true-white-north-reflections-on-being-canadian/

http://www.quebecoislibre.org/000108-11.htm

Most frightening is the recent trend to define ourselves in negative terms. University professors, politicians, the media, and students proclaim « Canadians are not (pick your poison) ». Mostly though we are told that Canadians are not « American ». Let's ignore the fact that Americans are no longer « American » either and concentrate on the implications of such a statement. 

https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/ijcs/2010-n42-ijcs1516360/1002174ar/

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/is-canada-a-blank-slate-with-no-culture-many-beg-to-differ

Want a bit of fun? Next time you go outside of America -uh, you are American, right? Next time you go to another country, see if you can pull off impersonating a Canadian. Just for shits and giggles. If you do pull it off, see how your reception is different from when you were recieved as an American. My money says you couldn't be taken as Canadian, but I bet I could be taken for American. Which says Americans are defined as not Canadian.

I worked with Canadians all the time in the IT industry...many striving to get their "green cards" to work in the USA as permanent residents.   They try to hide their citizenship, but it is easy to spot them as soon as they open their mouths.   The funny part is that the Canadian consultants felt they were superior to the Indians, Pakistanis, Ukrainians, Chinese, etc. just because they know who Gilligan was.

A few Canadians do hate Americans, mostly pseudo-intellectual third year Arts students, too under=educated to appreciate that Americans are the greatest super-power in history. By greatest, I mean the most generous. Most of the things that the whiney minority of anti-American Canadians blame Americans for are things Canadians are "guilty" of. Some Canadian tourists use the Canadian flag to get better service in Europe, to emphasize we are not Americans. It gives us the illusion that we are "superior" to Americans.

A year ago, I was in Washington State and I have never been treated so warmly. I don't know any Canadian who hates Americans. 

As for health care etc, it is the height of arrogance to think we have the right to tell another country whom they should vote for, or criticize their choice to have the right to bear arms, and so on. It is their country and we have no right to stick our oar in. We have come a long way from the days that the Conservative Party's campaign slogan was "No truck nor trade with the Americans." To our wonderful American guests on this forum, let me say thank you for your generosity and friendship, and your tolerance for the clowns who don't know how much you have done for the world.

• Like 1

The United States and Americans certainly deserve their share of criticism for domestic and foreign policies, as do many other nations.   As a bordering nation with economic, cultural, and military integration with America, some Canadians struggle with the balancing act and strike out with their brand of hatred reflexively and socially to gain approval with like minded folk.  "Hating" Americans is also very fashionable right now because of President Trump.

Other Canadians choose to have a more objective view, given the realities of history and many integrations across the border, as well as far less appealing alternatives.  

13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Demonstrably false....examples from Canada are easy to find:

J.L. Granatstein - Yankee Go Home "Canadians and Anti-Americanism" (1996)

http://theconcordian.com/2017/09/being-canadian-rather-than-not-american/

https://nationalpost.com/life/food/i-am-not-american-what-can-beer-ads-tell-us-about-our-national-identity

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/the-dollar/the-true-white-north-reflections-on-being-canadian/

http://www.quebecoislibre.org/000108-11.htm

https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/ijcs/2010-n42-ijcs1516360/1002174ar/

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/is-canada-a-blank-slate-with-no-culture-many-beg-to-differ

I worked with Canadians all the time in the IT industry...many striving to get their "green cards" to work in the USA as permanent residents.   They try to hide their citizenship, but it is easy to spot them as soon as they open their mouths.   The funny part is that the Canadian consultants felt they were superior to the Indians, Pakistanis, Ukrainians, Chinese, etc. just because they know who Gilligan was.

Oh, anecdotes? Okay. There's Americans here where I live. Two who came as draft evaders, a couple in their mid fifties and an older woman who writes and publishes in Britain, of all things. The couple are, were, real estate agents. Now he fancies himself a farmer and her MS has her pretty much confined to a wheel-chair. She went back to her family last summer, the marriage fallenv apart, but came back here after a few weeks. She lives in a small ground-floor hotel room and wheels herslf to the cafe for her meals. The draft dodgers are both retired, one was a surveyor, the other a commercial fisherman. The other woman travels a lot and writes about it. She's a good conversation and the only one whose company I can take for more than an hour at a time.

Edited by Grand Mal
Grammar

Tbf my last trip to Wisconsin was alright.  Most people i talked to were friendly, except for when making transactions.  For example, the time I went to  McDonald's and I asked her for a double double, the clerk looked at me like I was crazy and snapped back "what the hell is that?"  So I told her what it was.  The hotel I stayed at was full of guys wearing cammo because of the hunting and knives convention across the street(not the reason I was there, but it did spark my interest to obtain a P.A.L., maybe someday I will get one)  they were all right to talk with but not exactly what I'd call a group of scholars.  

What I noticed the most while there is that everyone is very high strung- the gas pumps are pre pay all day, the security guard at wal mart was following me so closely I could feel his breath on my neck(my guess is because I was wearing a toque, idk)  the way transactions were conducted( I went to a place that sells video games to find some for my nephew, the clerk had a "cash on the barrel" attitude)

At the time I didn't think much of it, but in the recent years with all of the news of shootings, covid and riots I doubt I'll go back anytime soon.  

On 9/19/2020 at 2:25 AM, Boges said:

Should I go on?

Is your arrogance really the only thing you can boast for, canucks? That's not the point of my post by the way. Yes, America sucks, everybody gets that. No need to keep repeating it over and over.

The point of my post is that no matter how evil the US becomes, no matter how many millions upon billions of people they kill, no matter how much you hate them, even if you want them all dead -> you will never do it. You will still ally with them, you will still trade with them, you will still hold on to your treaties with them, and you might even fight for them.

Go on, prove me wrong! Oh and you only have a better quality of life because you have a small population. Let's see what happens when there are 400,000,000 people in canuckland.

Edited by cantstopnow