So how do you fire a governor general?

Remember that Trudeau made her GG despite being charged with assault of her ex husband by Maryland police (the charges were later dropped). She was appointed largely because once again Trudeau insisted on a woman, and it had to be a francophone who was bilingual. That limited the choice, obviously.

She joins Michaelle Jean, Adrian Clarkson and Jeanne Sauve as female GGs who were miserable failures, probably because they weren't appointed for any reason but identity politics. Romeo Leblanc was dull as dishwater. The two good ones we've had of late were the Tory appointees, Daniel Johnson and Ray Hnatyshyn.

"This has gone from being one of the most collegial and enjoyable work environments for many of the staff to being a house of horrors," said one government source. "It's bullying and harassment at its worst."

CBC News spoke to a dozen sources with direct knowledge of the office during Payette's mandate. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they feared they could lose their jobs or their careers could suffer. Many of the sources are still in the public service, while others are former Rideau Hall employees.

The sources say Payette has yelled at, belittled and publicly humiliated employees. They accuse her of throwing tantrums in the office and, on one occasion, tossing an employee's work aside and calling it "shit."

On a single day, multiple people were seen leaving Payette's office with tears in their eyes after private meetings with the Governor General, said one source. In another instance, a staff member was spotted crying in their car.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gov-gen-payette-created-toxic-210214781.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Remember that Trudeau made her GG despite being charged with assault of her ex husband by Maryland police (the charges were later dropped). She was appointed largely because once again Trudeau insisted on a woman, and it had to be a francophone who was bilingual. That limited the choice, obviously.

She joins Michaelle Jean, Adrian Clarkson and Jeanne Sauve as female GGs who were miserable failures, probably because they weren't appointed for any reason but identity politics.

Yet she appears even worse than those, in terms of behaviour.

It should fall back on the Prime Minister for appointing her anyway despite improper vetting, overlooking her obvious flaws in lieu of the political imagery she provides. It should, but won't.

• Like 1

Is this story about the GG just coming out now because of the member of the armed forces who crashed through the gate at Rideau Hall a couple of weeks ago?

I don't follow where the PM and his toadies live, some places say Trudeau lives at Rideau Hall but it's the official residence of the GG. I'm not sure who lives where...

Anyways, here's a blurb about the gate-crasher: https://nationalpost.com/news/man-who-allegedly-crashed-truck-through-rideau-halls-gate-with-four-guns-is-soldier-troubled-by-covid-conspiracies 

The RCMP won’t say what their officers talked about for an hour and a half with an armed intruder, crouched beside the greenhouse on the Rideau Hall property where Prime Minister Justin Trudeau lives,

It's possible that he was there re: the GG now, but I'm not saying that I heard that rumour anywhere. I'm just wondering because suddenly we're becoming aware that some people really had a serious hatred of the GG. 

Johnson was a good choice but the PM shouldn’t be making this decision. Post-QEII the GG will be our de facto head of state and it’s time that person wasn’t an appointee of the head of government. The main challenge would be engineering something that wouldn’t require constitutional wrangling. Perhaps a less formal version of the German or Israeli systems could be rigged up where a tradition was established for the PM to ‘consult’ with federal and perhaps other legislatures via secret ballots before making a decision?   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Convention_(Germany)

You’d still have human nature to deal with:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/22/moshe-katsav-jailed-seven-years-rape

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

The Governor General of Canada is a "corporation sole", according to Elizabeth the Second in this document.

A "corporation sole" is defined and recognized as being a corporation.

It is a fiction that a corporation is a person.

"A corporation is a fiction, by definition, ...", according to Patrick Healy in a statement found in evidence provided to the Canadian Parliament's Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights in 2002.

"A corporation is a 'fiction' as it has no separate existence, no physical body and no 'mind'", according to Joanne Klineberg in a presentation to the Canadian Aviation Safety Seminar in 2004.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, Argus said:

Remember that Trudeau made her GG despite being charged with assault of her ex husband by Maryland police (the charges were later dropped).....

Argus,

This is not the question. Trudeau Jnr chose her? Irrelevant. She's a female astronaut? Irrelevant. Francophone? Irrelevant.

Heck, her criminal history? Irrelevant.

At the federal level, our Governor-General is named by the Queen, an old protestant woman in England. This is the problem.

======

In this 21st century, Canada must become a Federal Republic. We need a better way to select a head of state.

Justin recommended her to the Queen, and the Queen approved the recommendation as if Justin choice was going to be questioned by the Queen. The blame is to rest with Justin and his minions no one else....To even suggest this is the Queens fault is short sighted.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Justin recommended her to the Queen, and the Queen approved the recommendation as if Justin choice was going to be questioned by the Queen. The blame is to rest with Justin and his minions no one else....To even suggest this is the Queens fault is short sighted.  

Not the Queen's fault, how can she properly vet the person anyway. Call her former employer? "Hello, this is Queen Elizabeth calling, looking for a reference for our next GG. Do you have a few minutes?"   :D

The Queen's staff probably do something to make sure it fully suits the culture of "the Palace", and you can fill in your own blanks on what that means.

She does represent the British Monarchy, as a reminder and symbol of who our rulers truly are, in a socioeconomic sense. Horse-headed aliens rule us.

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Not the Queen's fault, how can she properly vet the person anyway. Call her former employer? "Hello, this is Queen Elizabeth calling, looking for a reference for our next GG. Do you have a few minutes?"   :D

The Queen's staff probably do something to make sure it fully suits the culture of "the Palace", and you can fill in your own blanks on what that means.

She does represent the British Monarchy, as a reminder and symbol of who our rulers truly are, in a socioeconomic sense. Horse-headed aliens rule us.

One would assume, that the vetting would be done on this side by Justins staff, before he signed off and made the recommendation to the Queen. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

One would assume, that the vetting would be done on this side by Justins staff, before he signed off and made the recommendation to the Queen. 

Pretty sure too. Mr. Trudeau would have to make a recommendation she be removed, and I guess to pass it would need royal assent. Or is that ASSent...

16 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Pretty sure too. Mr. Trudeau would have to make a recommendation she be removed, and I guess to pass it would need royal assent. Or is that ASSent...

That will never happen as that would be admitting he was wrong. No, she will be persuaded to resign to 'spend more time with my family', and quietly promised someone from some international body will call to offer her a well-paid job there.

Trudeau won't do it and she won't resign.  She won't give up the salary and most of all the big fat pension that comes with it...   this is something that needs to be stopped, why should a GG get a big fat pension of $143K a year after 4 years  

• Like 1

In 1975 in Australia the GG dismissed the PM when the PM no longer had a majority to pass the budget. 

That sparked a constitutional crisis about could the GG really do that. The GG is the representative of the Queen. 

If the GG has any integrity whatsoever - which I am seriously beginning to doubt - she would take the high road and resign her position.  I doubt being fired by the Queen would look good on her resume'. 

That said, considering the obvious lack of thorough vetting that went into the choice of Payette, I have little hope that the liberals will actually chose someone ably suited for the position. 

• Like 1

The more I read about Julie Payette, the harder it is to believe they chose her in the first place. She seems totally unsuited for this job and obviously little or no vetting was done by the Trudeau Liberals.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/governor-generals-scorn-for-rcmp-driving-up-unnecessary-costs-sources-say/ar-BB184wbU?li=AAggNb9

On 8/11/2020 at 1:28 PM, mowich said:

If the GG has any integrity whatsoever - which I am seriously beginning to doubt - she would take the high road and resign her position.  I doubt being fired by the Queen would look good on her resume'. 

That said, considering the obvious lack of thorough vetting that went into the choice of Payette, I have little hope that the liberals will actually chose someone ably suited for the position. 

I think that this fall there will be an election, and hopefully a new government, which would mean a new GG as a matter of good house keeping....