The media is covering up the violence

Argus

I've seen complaints of this a lot over the last month or more around the internet. How the media is avoiding coverage of the violence in these protests. You'd hardly know that violent protests were still going on, in fact, were it not for the occasional video from Chicago or Portland to find its way onto a brief news item. But Michael Tracey puts it into the best, most succinct perspective I've yet encountered.

From large metro areas like Chicago and Minneapolis/St. Paul, to small and mid-sized cities like Fort Wayne, Indiana and Green Bay, Wisconsin, the number of boarded up, damaged or destroyed buildings I have personally observed — commercial, civic, and residential — is staggering. Keeping exact count is impossible. One might think that a major media organisation such as the New York Times would use some of their galactic journalistic resources to tally up the wreckage for posterity. But roughly six weeks later, and such a tally is still nowhere to be found.

It should be more widely known that large swathes of a major American metropolis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, still lies in rubble over a month after the riots. And the main perpetrators of this destruction — namely those who committed the most incendiary arson attacks — were, by many accounts relayed to me directly, white Left-wing activists. Refusing to seek out and accurately present this information reflects the mainstream media’s propensity to operate under predetermined, politicised assumptions that are antithetical to any rightly-understood conception of journalism.

So why, exactly, has the scope of these riots been so assiduously downplayed, and the opinions of those who experienced them first-hand been largely ignored? A number of potential explanations ring true. For one, media elites desperately do not want to undermine the moral legitimacy of a ‘movement’ that they have cast as presumptively righteous. And highlighting that urban minority populations are generally less enthusiastic about a movement whose mantra is “Black Lives Matter” would be embarrassing for obvious reasons.

https://unherd.com/2020/07/the-ugly-truth-about-the-blm-protests/

• Like 1

Michael Tracey (born August 1948) is a British-American academic and television producer with a specialty in public service broadcasting. He acquired notability as a result of his tenure as the head of the Broadcasting Research Unit in London, a British think tank dealing with media issues, and later with his investigative reporting on the death of JonBenét Ramsey. He is the author of The Decline and Fall of Public Service Broadcasting and the Production of Political Television. He is currently a professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder.[1]

Sounds pretty objective to me.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

All we need is an objective source.  Shouldn't be difficult.

Given the current state of the MSM, I think it might well be difficult.  The OP seems fairly objective.  Maybe it needs a less mainstream voice to make the salient points.

That said, I haven't been to Minneapolis, so I can't confirm that large swathes of it still lie in rubble.

Edited by bcsapper

By June 19, the violence in the Twin Cities had resulted in one death, 617 arrests, and upwards of $500 million in property damage to 1,500 businesses, the second-most destructive period of local unrest in United States history after the 1992 Los Angeles riots. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests_in_Minneapolis–Saint_Paul

So that pegs damage in just the rather small twin cities at half a billion dollars. Fifteen hundred businesses destroyed. Anyone see that in the media? I think they reported on one or two fires the first few nights, especially the police precinct, and then nothing.

This study pegs the cost of the rioting across the country as $400 million on just the first weekend.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/06/28/in-first-weekend-of-riots-looting-damage-in-20-major-cities-exceeded-400-million/

Edited by Argus
  • Like 2

ANTIFA is a fascist terrorist group that uses violence and property destruction as tools to bring fascism to the U.S.  They have violently attacked innocent men, women and children and will not stop until their fascist goals are realized. 

Is this objective ..  https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/07/17/major-networks-ignore-nightly-violence-and-riots-in-portland-as-mayor-blames-it-on-trump-administration-947925

Interesting thing..   I searched using duckduck go and got some results...   I searched again using google and got completely different results, a whole page of white supremacy and far right groups  etc.  

• Like 1

Probably won't see this on the mainstream news. Just crying about the federal government sending federal agents to protect federal property and arrest people who attack it.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/tyler-o-neil/2020/07/19/antifa-rioters-break-into-portland-police-union-and-set-it-on-fire-as-mayor-hamstrings-federal-troops-n661172

The  Portland  Mayor needs a reality check.  If the city and state are unwilling or unable to uphold law and order in the face of widespread riots and violence, then the feds have a duty to clean up and restore law and order.

3 hours ago, scribblet said:

Seattle is erupting again with stores looted and trashed,   all the right wing of course...lol

This is another city that's promised to defund police, to cut their budget in half, in fact. And even before this current BLM shit Seattle police were leaving in droves, not wanting to work for this city where their hands are tied and the streets are filled with homeless addicts. The city is already short a lot of police because they haven't been able to hire them. Anyone wanting to become a cop goes somewhere else.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-homes-in-on-police-department-cuts-as-defunding-proponents-and-opponents-mobilize/

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

Normally I wouldn’t support this, but considering the anarchy and the fact that BLM (and ANTIFA)  appears to have the privilege of looting, destruction, arson, racism, violence, rioting and murder across the country,  all seemingly  with 100% support from  MSM and Democrats, something has to be done.

The BLM movement is not about anti racism anymore, it’s a movement  about murdering  Americans and orchestrated events designed  to create civil unrest.   Over 50 nights of violence and destruction, so I don’t see the thinking that allows for destruction of property, arson, violence, looting and even killing as a means of legitimate protest.

Thread here worth reading https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1284885615146700802.html
  • Like 1

What you see is an orchestrated effort, probably by certain political forces with big financial backing, to allow chaos and destruction to reign in the streets. Yet they vehemently deny access to federal security forces that want to enter and restore civil order. The reasons why should be very obvious. All roads lead to 2020.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Copied from twitter (not my sentiment here) 

I know these are not your sentiments , but it does amaze me how the left thinks....

SO it's OK to destroy someone else private property, such as store fronts , who's owners may have everything in their world tied up in their Private enterprise, the store owners had nothing to do with what the state does, or does not do, but they were the main targets of BLM, or Antifa... And now the feds are telling them enough is enough and they are starting to protect fed property.... and they Protestors find that a little confusing....They may have had a point if they just destroyed government property but that is not what happened, Free TV s for everyone....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Did you not mean that the Feds are detaining troublemakers. They have the right to do so by law.

Not in the People's Republic of Oregonia, they don't.

Unofficially, of course.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Not in the People's Republic of Oregonia, they don't.

Unofficially, of course.

I would think detaining is possible in any state, but I'm no expert on US state versus federal jurisdictions. Certainly anyone can be detained by a federal Marshall for questioning. there is a limit on how long they can be held. Saw it on Barney Miller once.

For all the non-stop hysteria painting Trump as some kind of maniacal fascist, it truly is a lousy fascist who fails to leverage widespread social unrest and instability to consolidate power.

That's a great sentence, and it captures the illogic behind the endless attacks on Trump.  At this point, he has become such a figure of abject corruption in the minds of so many that merely bringing him into the discussion justifies anything.  If he isn't doing anything, then it's inaction.  If he is doing something, then it's a step in his quest to become a dictator.  It reminds me of the twin criticisms of GW Bush: that he was a diabolical genius architecting a dark new society while everyone slept... and that he was simultaneously an idiot.

I find the criticism that the physical damage is being underplayed convincing but I'm not sure what it means.  USA Today mentioned that the costs are high in the context of an article advising businesses how to get assistance.

FOX has the most recent news on this.  But even FOX hasn't reported on this angle in almost a month.  Is it because things have been more calm ?  Or is it because media wants to downplay something that may be shaping up as an actual insurrection.  An actual insurrection is almost a bigger problem for Biden than Trump, as the Democrats have been reluctant to say anything against these protests.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/george-floyd-protests-expensive-civil-disturbance-us-history

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 9:40 AM, scribblet said:

Normally I wouldn’t support this, but considering the anarchy and the fact that BLM (and ANTIFA)  appears to have the privilege of looting, destruction, arson, racism, violence, rioting and murder across the country,  all seemingly  with 100% support from  MSM and Democrats, something has to be done.

The BLM movement is not about anti racism anymore, it’s a movement  about murdering  Americans and orchestrated events designed  to create civil unrest.   Over 50 nights of violence and destruction, so I don’t see the thinking that allows for destruction of property, arson, violence, looting and even killing as a means of legitimate protest.

Thread here worth reading https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1284885615146700802.html

Excellent points made by the author of the thread. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, Argus said:

Probably won't see this on the mainstream news. Just crying about the federal government sending federal agents to protect federal property and arrest people who attack it.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/tyler-o-neil/2020/07/19/antifa-rioters-break-into-portland-police-union-and-set-it-on-fire-as-mayor-hamstrings-federal-troops-n661172

Probably?  Not hardly - won't see is more like it as the MSM and other media continue to support the riotous behavior of the thugs, punks, scofflaws and covidiots.  Portland is becoming a cesspit due to the inaction of those in power who should be concerned about the destruction on their streets but continue to tow the PC line.  Sad that.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:40 AM, scribblet said:

/facepalm

You people insisted on borrowing and spending trillions to do battle with radical commies around the world for decades all seemingly so you wouldn't have to fight it here at home.  Folks like Pinochet and Lee Slater Overman must be spinning in their graves.

Interestingly Overman was a Democrat, sure fooled you didn't he?

I've broken my boycott of the mainstream nightly news lately to see what the legacy news is inculcating into the minds of the populace lately.

I hear you're still being told these are simply "protestors" or "demonstrators," not looters and rioters under the control of neo and anarcho Marxist insurrectionists. Is there anybody out there who's still falling for nonsense like when they only select man on the street interview for their selected viewpoint or only talk to what they call "experts" supporting their side of the propaganda, and only show you bits to highlight what they want you to believe, treating all contradictory evidence as if it doesn't exist?

Here are some recent stories for the progaganda-bots who might like to try to break free of their programming and catch up with reality.

An injured Seattle police officer’s Facebook post shatters the left’s ‘protest’ narrative

Here's some video evidence of how federal officers are actually controlling the rioters in Portland:

EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS: Officers Make Quick Work Dispersing Portland’s ‘Unlawful Assembly,’ Multiple People Detained

Rifle ammunition, Molotov cocktails found by Portland police responding to shooting

Demonstrators target NYPD vehicles, light fires in chaotic city scene

ANOTHER Armed “Protester” Pulls a Gun on Motorist Trapped by Mob of Black Lives Matter in Oregon

Google Software Engineer Charged With Assault, Resisting Arrest in Portland Riots

Protester Who Said "People Who Hate Us" Are "Too Big of P-ssies to Actually Do Anything About It" Gets Shot