Why is near nakedness accepted but covering is not?

Marocc

It's not the covering per se, it's the "difference".  If I go to a Muslim-majority country, my lack of covering is likely to draw attention and disapproval, especially from people who think "different" is wrong and unacceptable.  Some of those people might even verbally or physically assault me for my offensive dress.

6 hours ago, Marocc said:

Why is it more bothersome? If you're going to say something can be hidden under clothing, you would have to acknowledge you suffer of an irrational fear.

Wearing fewer clothes is a matter of choice dictated by no one. Covering yourself up is a misogynistic demand of a repressive religion which insists women's looks can incite lust in men. Women are forced to cover themselves so men don't get excited. Every other religion feels it's up to the individual to control his or her own lust.

And judging from what I read about places like Egypt it doesn't even work. Women in burkas, niquabs and chadors routinely get sexually harassed and groped on the streets.

Edited by Argus

10 hours ago, Marocc said:

Why is it more bothersome? If you're going to say something can be hidden under clothing, you would have to acknowledge you suffer of an irrational fear.

It's the face covering that's the problem - we need to see faces.     That's for everyone!   Try going into a bank wearing a baclava.

Edited by betsy

54 minutes ago, betsy said:

It's the face covering that's the problem - we need to see faces.     That's for everyone!   Try going into a bank wearing a baclava.

I wear a mask into the bank, covers same part of my face as the niqab and balaclava, no problem.  Wasn't even asked to remove it to validate my picture ID.  The "must see face" claim is a fake argument.

5 hours ago, Argus said:

And judging from what I read about places like Egypt it doesn't even work. Women in burkas, niquabs and chadors routinely get sexually harassed and groped on the streets.

Sexual harrassment and rape of women/girls occurs in many conservative religious communities.  This includes Muslims and Christians in Egypt, Mennonites in Manitoba, Mormons in Utah, Jehovah's Witnesses in the community.  There's something about men being in charge, women having to be modest and "protecting" the religious groups that make these crimes against women preferable to holding men accountable and responsible for their own sexual urges.

43 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I wear a mask into the bank, covers same part of my face as the niqab and balaclava, no problem.  Wasn't even asked to remove it to validate my picture ID.  The "must see face" claim is a fake argument.

That is a mask - due to this covid 19.  Nice try. 

Instead of a mask - why don't you do a balaclava?  Get back to us with the outcome. 

Edited by betsy

24 minutes ago, betsy said:

That is a mask - due to this covid 19.  Nice try. 

Instead of a mask - why don't you do a balaclava?  Get back to us with the outcome. 

In cold weather, I'm guessing it'd be fine.   :)   

So, we can't see people with niquab means huge problem because security, but why doesn't that same security issue apply with masks, hmmmm?   Even with Covid?

13 hours ago, dialamah said:

In cold weather, I'm guessing it'd be fine.   :)   

So, we can't see people with niquab means huge problem because security, but why doesn't that same security issue apply with masks, hmmmm?   Even with Covid?

Keep wondering. :)  That's okay.

The only reason anyone objects to "covering up" is because it's seen as a religious mandate thrust upon women. 

Wearing skimpy clothes is usually a choice. Unless it's part of an employment obligation. I think that was debated here, years ago, regarding restaurants that made women dress sexy. 

6 hours ago, Boges said:

The only reason anyone objects to "covering up" is because it's seen as a religious mandate thrust upon women.

Not entirely. People want to see other people's faces. I don't like that everyone wears face masks now. I understand and accept it as necessary, but I certainly don't like it.

Why is near nakedness accepted but covering is not?

Speaking for myself I think near nakedness is often hotter than nakedness.  That said and despite my dear wife's supportive affirmations I definitely look much better when I'm covered up and I'm especially grisly with a couple days of whisker growth.  Masks stick to that like velcro but what I really need is a mask that doesn't tear my glasses off or my hearing aids out when I remove it. That's a real PITA I tell you.

Edited by eyeball