Does Canadian patriotism seem fake?

People say Canadians are a lot less patriotic than Americans, but I see a lot of maple leaves slapped on businesses and sports team logos (even local ones), and a lot of generic nationalistic branding in Canada. You don't really see this in-your-face nationalist stuff in the US, despite their high degree of patriotism. You see lots of flags on porches, but little of the hollow gesture patriotism you see in Canada. That make Canadian patriotism seem like an inferiority complex to me.

This guy agrees: https://news.sportslogos.net/2011/07/29/maple-leaf-logos-can-we-stop-this/

If you're old enough to remember when Dominion Day was a sleepy holiday, when Canadians kind of sneered at Americans for all their rah-rah, face-painting, flag waving celebration of July 4th, you will know that the whole Canada Day patriotism thing was brought about by propaganda. The Liberals wanted to get Quebecers to celebrate Canada Day, so poured tens of millions into big fireworks displays, festivals and parties, all the same sort of rah-rah face painting nonsense we see down south. And since they couldn't do that without doing the same elsewhere in Canada they spent more tens of millions on the same thing in TROC.

And it worked. So now Canadians paint their faces and wrap themselves in flags, and wear stupid red and white maple leaf hats and all that stuff on 'Canada" day, and that has, to some extent, extended beyond Canada day. Although, interestingly, I don't think it ever really took hold in Quebec.

Canadians are generally not a demonstrative bunch. Their patriotism tends to be a quiet sort. And I'd imagine that's especially so in a day and age when patriotism is considered 'racism' by some on the Left, and where the PM says the only nation north of the US border is Quebec.

Edited by Argus
deleted re-copied Opening Post

Reduce the volume of your quotes.  Please review the following threads: 

Using the [ Quote ] Feature: - 2005

NEW RULE! - Trim Your Posts - 2006

Trim Your Posts and Quotes - 2006

If your reply takes less space than your quote does, then you quoted too much. 

I have to say I don't think I ever saw a flag on anyone's property when I was growing up in England.  There was a Union Jack on the cathedral, if I remember correctly.

We did hear the national anthem every night when the TV shut down though.

Edited by Charles Anthony
deleted re-copied Opening Post

Basically what I'm saying is that Canadians are actually not that patriotic, but they slap maple leaves on almost everything without real context. McDonald's doesn't wrap itself in the US flag like Timmies or Home Hardware do the Canadian, and you don't see widespread use of national symbols for local minor league sports teams.

Edited by Transportfan
Added text

16 hours ago, Transportfan said:

Basically what I'm saying is that Canadians are actually not that patriotic, but they slap maple leaves on almost everything without real context. McDonald's doesn't wrap itself in the US flag like Timmies or Home Hardware do the Canadian, and you don't see widespread use of national symbols for local minor league sports teams.

I think Canadians ARE patriotic, despite what our leaders have tried to do. Older Canadians are quietly patriotic (mostly) and the younger ones are loud about it due to being taken in by government advertising.