Australia annouces 270 bil in new defense spending...

Australia announces it's new defense plans that include well over 270 billion Australian dollars worth of defense spending, over the next 10 years.... to counter new direct Chinese threats. That over and above what covid-19 costs. Can't be a liberal government thats for sure. But yes it is....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australia-defence-spending-scott-morrison-china-india-coronavirus-pandemic-a9596796.html

22 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Australia announces it's new defense plans that include well over 270 billion Australian dollars worth of defense spending, over the next 10 years.... to counter new direct Chinese threats. That over and above what covid-19 costs. Can't be a liberal government thats for sure. But yes it is....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australia-defence-spending-scott-morrison-china-india-coronavirus-pandemic-a9596796.html

Naw, they're called Liberal but they're actually more conservative. The Labour party are the left wing party. The Liberals are the right wing party.

And don't you worry, Justin will be buying a lot of stuff for the military ... eventually... in the fullness of time... at the proper juncture.

Military spending is like insurance. It seems like money down the toilet, year after year after year, until you need it. Unfortunately, you never know when you're going to need it until you need it. And it's a bit late to call up the insurance guy at that point and take out a policy.

The world is getting progressively nastier. The thugocracies are becoming bolder. They're not cowed of the West any more. Why would they be when almost the entire Western world has unilaterally disarmed itself? Afraid of the US? Trump is a friend of every dictator, so no. And when and if Biden gets in, he's likely to make deep cuts in the US defense budget.

The UN? LOLOLOLOLOL! :lol:

The UN Human Rights Council voted by two thirds majority the other day to congratulate China on it's new legislation on Hong Kong.  Yes, the dictators of the UN feel smug enough to do an in your face "Screw you!" to all those sanctimonious western countries that believe in freedom. Led by China, 53 member countries voted to support China in its crackdown on Hong Kong. That's what the UN stands for today.

One day soon the Chinese are going to start sailing their aircraft carrier groups out into the world to threaten and intimidate countries, and it would be kind of nice not to have to look over our shoulders for American support if one shows up on our doorstep. But with out antiquated navy and even more antiquated air force we are basically helpless. And if there's anyone bullies like to bully, it's someone helpless.

4 hours ago, Argus said:

The world is getting progressively nastier. The thugocracies are becoming bolder. They're not cowed of the West any more. Why would they be when almost the entire Western world has unilaterally disarmed itself? Afraid of the US? Trump is a friend of every dictator, so no. And when and if Biden gets in, he's likely to make deep cuts in the US defense budget

The main reason dictators aren't cowed has remained the same for decades, the Shiniest Beacon for freedom and democracy, along with most of its allies are okay with wheeling and dealing with them - everyone is basically willing to be friendly with them.  It's never mattered before if a Democratic president was in charge and it won't matter if Biden wins either.

The UN? LOLOLOLOLOL! :lol:

The UN Human Rights Council voted by two thirds majority the other day to congratulate China on it's new legislation on Hong Kong.  Yes, the dictators of the UN feel smug enough to do an in your face "Screw you!" to all those sanctimonious western countries that believe in freedom. Led by China, 53 member countries voted to support China in its crackdown on Hong Kong. That's what the UN stands for today.

That's because most of the un-sanctimonious countries know that most of the so-called sanctimonious one are just as full of shit.

One day soon the Chinese are going to start sailing their aircraft carrier groups out into the world to threaten and intimidate countries, and it would be kind of nice not to have to look over our shoulders for American support if one shows up on our doorstep. But with out antiquated navy and even more antiquated air force we are basically helpless. And if there's anyone bullies like to bully, it's someone helpless.

As you well know I've been saying for years we shouldn't be wheeling and dealing with China and other dictators or being allies with allies who do, I've also suggested we keep a few really big nasty-assed nukes of our own on hand.  That insurance would be a lot cheaper than spending billions every year on conventional deterrents. Whenever I do however your ilk usually whines about damaging our economy, the pointlessness of virtue, standing by our allies and instead proposing we add billions more in military spending to our deficits and debts.  Of course to pay for it all you also suggest we do away with most of the sort of social spending that best differentiates us from the thugs of the world.  I bet if Canadian conservatives were more brave about putting the principles we say our country stands for first instead of being cowards and pretending we have no choice but to follow the herd down the toilet we'd see a lot of other Canadians and eventually countries following suit.  I'm convinced that much of humanity is crying out for a principled leader to follow and I think that's an opportunity we should be taking advantage of it.  And for the record, I have no more reason to look to Canada's Liberal Party for principled leadership than I do the US Democratic Party. 

52 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The main reason dictators aren't cowed has remained the same for decades, the Shiniest Beacon for freedom and democracy, along with most of its allies are okay with wheeling and dealing with them - everyone is basically willing to be friendly with them.  It's never mattered before if a Democratic president was in charge and it won't matter if Biden wins either.

That's right...it won't matter one iota, especially to those weak ass nations who depend so much on the "Shiniest Beacon" to protect the "post WW2 order".   You will have to deal with exactly what the Americans give and take, and the only recourse will be to continue bitching about both.

Australia gets it....Canada doesn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's right...it won't matter one iota, especially to those weak ass nations who depend so much on the "Shiniest Beacon" to protect the "post WW2 order".   You will have to deal with exactly what the Americans give and take, and the only recourse will be to continue bitching about both.

Australia gets it....Canada doesn't.

That's because Canada benefits from geography. Some Canadians may talk like eagles but they're still herons.

21 hours ago, eyeball said:

As you well know I've been saying for years we shouldn't be wheeling and dealing with China and other dictators or being allies with allies who do, I've also suggested we keep a few really big nasty-assed nukes of our own on hand.  That insurance would be a lot cheaper than spending billions every year on conventional deterrents. Whenever I do however your ilk usually whines about damaging our economy,

We've had this discussion before and I pointed out posts of mine going back fifteen years which called out China and called for us to stay away from them and not deal with them. So screw you.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

We've had this discussion before and I pointed out posts of mine going back fifteen years which called out China and called for us to stay away from them and not deal with them. So screw you.

The difference is that I apply the principle of no truck nor trade with dictators universally including with allies of dictators. Can you say the same? If not, screw you.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, eyeball said:

The difference is that I apply the principle of no truck nor trade with dictators universally including with allies of dictators. Can you say the same? If not, screw you.

There are about three dozen real democracies among the 190 countries on Earth. Realistically, we can't 'shun' all of them.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

There are about three dozen real democracies among the 190 countries on Earth. Realistically, we can't 'shun' all of them.

Sure we can. Your use of the term realistically is falsely concretizing your entire approach to thinking beyond "no we can't".  I suspect its driven by similarly concretized economic thinking. Let me guess, now you'll ask if I think Canadians are willing to make sacrifices and give up cheap shit.

Except I've already dealt with that by reminding that our grandparents sacrificed 25% of their GDP plus going without lots of things. So yes Canadians are willing when they put their most cherished oft-stated principles first.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, Argus said:

Even weirder, they endorsed China's crackdown on Uyghur muslims. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Egypt all support it.

Edit: See this tweet for details:

Maajid Nawaz has called for a non-violent jihad (ideological war) on the CCP because of its treatment of Uyghur muslims and other abuses.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

On 7/12/2020 at 6:42 PM, eyeball said:

Except I've already dealt with that by reminding that our grandparents sacrificed 25% of their GDP plus going without lots of things. So yes Canadians are willing when they put their most cherished oft-stated principles first.

Bullshit.....they are not going to spend one dime on defense if they don't have to, and they feel no shame in letting the US do it all, today Canadians are all talk and no action....and when dealing with other nations sometimes we can't even do that right.....

That was yesterday generations, today most Canadians have sparks flying from their asses when they walk they are so tight...and they don't care about little things like sovereignty, security, shit their worried about real world problems like when is the first NHL hockey game, when is the next CERB check coming in, whats the next free thing coming my way....

On 7/13/2020 at 8:44 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

Even weirder, they endorsed China's crackdown on Uyghur muslims. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Egypt all support it.

E

And yet somehow we as a nation find value in supporting this organization , what value are we getting with that statement....