The Climate Change People are Lying to Us

An update on carbon capture

https://interestingengineering.com/new-carbon-sphere-production-method-creates-better-carbon-capture-technology

New Carbon Sphere Production Method Creates Better Carbon Capture Technology

The spheres are formed at 800°C.

Carbon capture technology allows the re-capturing of carbon from the air as well as the collection of carbon from various emissions sources. One of the most vital components of this process is the production of carbon-capturing spheres. These spheres function by capturing carbon from the air and converting the CO2 into solids. This allows the CO2 to easily be stored and kept from polluting the atmosphere in a gaseous form.

Researchers at Swansea University have developed a new way to produce these carbon spheres that can be scaled effectively.

Carbon spheres in their own right range in size dramatically. They can be anywhere from a few nanometers to a few micrometers and are commonly used in many environmental treatment processes like water treatment, gas storage, and even drug delivery.

New Carbon Sphere Production Method Creates Better Carbon Capture TechnologySource: Saeed Khodabakhshi/ Science Direct

One of the largest issues surrounding carbon spheres is that they are often expensive or impractical to produce, limiting their applications. 

A team at Swansea University's Energy Safety Research Institute has made a major advance in the practicality of production for these carbon spheres.

Utilizing an existing manufacturing technique known as chemical vapor deposition, or CVD, they were able to apply a thin coating to materials to create the spheres. They also altered the temperatures at which the vapor was deposited, in the range of 600 to 900 degrees celsius. 

RELATED: HOW CARBON CAPTURE TECHNOLOGY CAN HELP MITIGATE CLIMATE CHANGE

Ultimately the team found that the process works best at 800°C and utilizing the CVD method gave the spheres significant carbon capture capacity. The spheres, which work by absorbing carbon through small pores, had their surface area increased by the deposition temperature, making them more efficient. 

This new method of making and producing carbon spheres is significantly easier than traditional

manufacturing techniques. 

In a statement to Swansea University, lead researcher Dr. Saeid Khodabakhshi of the Energy Safety Research Institute at Swansea University said about the discovery, "Our research shows a green and sustainable way of making [carbon spheres]. We demonstrated a safe, clean and rapid way of producing the spheres. Crucially, the micropores in our spheres mean they perform very well in capturing carbon."

15 minutes ago, Shady said:

Truth.

AADCD3E9-BC93-4FC5-9C37-EDABED9A0F9B.jpeg

Conjecture isn't truth.

It might be dumb, and it might be counter productive, but it's never truth until it happens.

The only good thing about it was it resulted in more taxes.

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Tax rates have famously fallen over 40 years.
Some of those predictions came from pop magazines.

What IS new is people cutting/pasting bullshit memes with no source and thinking they're smart.

Tax rates went down?  No wonder the bloody potholes don't get filled!

32 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

CUDNCVv.png

Are you confusing marginal tax rates with tax burden? Marginal tax rates are the amount of tax payed in different tax brackets, and are reduced when tax brackets are adjusted to account for inflation. The average tax burden for Canadians has dropped this year, because average income has dropped this year. This is of course a temporary situation, because federal debt has risen substantially, and income is way down. The debt is up, and corporate taxes are way down. Personal income taxes will have to rise, and services like healthcare and education will need to be cut to start paying off the debt.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/tax-freedom-day-2020-report#:~:text=In 2020%2C the Balanced Budget,Day arrives on July 26.

Canadians are right to be thinking about the tax implications of the $315.2 billion in projected federal and provincial government deficits in 2020. For this reason, we calculated a Balanced Budget Tax Freedom Day, the day on which average Canadians would start working for themselves if governments were obliged to cover current expenditures with current taxation. In 2020, the Balanced Budget Tax Freedom Day arrives on July 26.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

That's thread drift.  I'm saying the previous assumption that environmental studies led to tax increases is a conspiracy theory.

People need to stop thinking about public policy discussions as though there are villains everywhere.

The assertion was that the climate change controversy led to more taxes. I assumed bcsapper meant that it increased our tax burden. If that is not what he meant then I was mistaken. You seemed to counter this by saying that marginal tax rates have gone down. I said that marginal tax rates are not a measure of our tax burden, and even the amount of tax we pay is not a true measure of our tax burden. Not paying your bills doesn't make them go away, and we are not paying our bills.  I was trying to address what I believed to be a mistaken assertion. If that is a drift then I am guilty of that.

1 hour ago, oops said:

The assertion was that the climate change controversy led to more taxes. I assumed bcsapper meant that it increased our tax burden. If that is not what he meant then I was mistaken. You seemed to counter this by saying that marginal tax rates have gone down. I said that marginal tax rates are not a measure of our tax burden, and even the amount of tax we pay is not a true measure of our tax burden. Not paying your bills doesn't make them go away, and we are not paying our bills.  I was trying to address what I believed to be a mistaken assertion. If that is a drift then I am guilty of that.

I was, somewhat flippantly,  making the point that tax increases are not a bad thing. 

It would be nice if our governments spent the bounty more wisely, sure, no argument there.

53 minutes ago, Alex Peter said:

I wish scientists would stop blaming us humans for causing global warming. This is patently false, since global warming is not real! If the fact that we’ve just experienced the coldest spring on record isn’t enough to sway you, I’ve got other anecdotal evidence that should be plenty convincing. For example: my sister went to Greenland and never saw any polar bears stranded on tiny ice floes. In fact, my sister didn’t see any live polar bears at all, so there.

I thought this was serious until I read the last two sentences.  Well played.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope for returning the Sahara desert to being an oxygen producing, carbon reducing environment.

TAP has designed a continental fresh-water pipeline to cross the Sahel area of Africa, beginning in the west in Mauritania, and culminating in the east at the Red Sea. TAP's pipeline is the first and only permanent solution to perennial drought throughout the Sahel and will mitigate the encroachment of the desert. Currently, thousands of hectares of land are lost to desertification every year across the Sahel countries of Africa.

Conceived and launched in Toronto, Canada, the Trans Africa Pipeline Inc. is a not-for-profit organization working in collaboration with the 11-country Pan African Great Green Wall (PAGGW) agency. TAP is also working with individual Sahel countries and with our U.S. charitable organization, the TAP Foundation U.S.

The Trans Africa Pipeline (TAP) project involves constructing an 8,000 km. fresh water pipeline (1.2 m to 1.5 m diameter) crossing 11 countries in the Sahel region of Africa. TAP's mission is to provide a sustainable supply of clean water for people and agriculture and support the goal of the Pan African Great Green Wall agency that involves the planting of millions of trees across a land corridor established by the 11 member countries.

https://transafricapipeline.org/inside.php?page=about

Of course this solution could be applied elsewhere. Man has the potential to make beneficial change.

14 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

Not exactly t shirt and shorts weather here but definitely not what I remember as a kid.  

That's only the weather. Real science says that the effects of climate change will not be immediately apparent in our lifetime, but maybe in about 150 years.

Stop lying.

26 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

That's only the weather. Real science says that the effects of climate change will not be immediately apparent in our lifetime, but maybe in about 150 years.

Stop lying.

Well, the effects are ongoing, and changes in weather patterns are one of the effects.  I see what you're saying though.  The more extreme effects of climate change are still to come.

16 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

BC is currently experiencing a sustained Chinook that I think has no real historic comparison. 

Yeah, while I don't think it's due to any chinook, we here in central Alberta are seeing unthinkable temperatures, and have been for at least a month.

Next week I'm gonna have to plug the truck in overnight though.  It's almost reassuring.