British Columbia's Health Minister.

27 minutes ago, dialamah said:

From a nurse in the Tricities.  @oops, @taxme, @OftenWrong - she's talking to you. 

I don't need to be told what I already know. So let's ask some intelligent questions, like why there is such a low capacity for spare beds in our health care system? Waiting for disaster, totally unprepared.

Other models demonstrate how to deal with it, regardless of the current health system debacle. You build a goddamn compound like a hospital, and move all the sick and eldery in there. You isolate the people who are vulnerable.

So in other words, you don't shut the whole country down, but you use that money, millions and billions, to make these facilities. As well as other, vital public health resources.

Not sit on your hands like our ... "leaders", and roll your eyes and say "Oh well. What's a person to do???"

No, that attitude is for dunderheads.

• Like 1

Well, Oops, let me explain like you are five:

Imagine a bathtub with the drain left open, and the tap running.  If the tap is running faster than the drain, eventually the bathtub will fill up and then overflow.  Only by turning the tap down can we prevent the tub from filling and overflowing.

Right now, our hospitals are like that bathtub, the increasing infections are the tap and the people who recover or die are the drain.  Dr. Henry is trying to slow that "tap" of increasing infections down so that the "tub" of our hospital beds do not become full or overflowing. 

Most people in BC understand and support that goal.  Maybe you could too.

I know that I have a youthful appearance, but 5 years old, you are too kind. There are currently 217 people hospitalized in B.C. for covid. There are 161 hospitals in the province so if you believe that this overwhelming our system you are sadly mistaken. The system was operating at capacity before the shut down, with months long waiting lists for cancer treatments, heart surgeries and other lifesaving procedures, so Queen Henry (the 8th?) closed operating rooms and hospital beds.  This resulted in deaths that could have been prevented, maybe that is what is filling your bathtub. Oh by the way the lockdowns are not to prevent infections, just to spread them over a longer time. Apparently 8 months is not long enough.

How many people do you suppose will die when the government needs to close hospital beds when the next budget comes down, or do you believe that we can provide the same level of service while closing down our businesses putting people out of work and generally crippling all our revenue sources while throwing hundreds of billions of dollars turning our province into a police state. Looks like they are plugging the drain and adding more water at the same time. I hope you have a mop, because your floor will be getting wet. By the way Horgan and Trudeau aren't giving away their money, they are giving away our money.

There also has been a drastic rise in drug overdose deaths, because of the government closing our borders and a resulting compromise in safety of the drug supply. Maybe you had better get an industrial pump, because I suspect you are in for a real flood.

The loneliness of our seniors caused by the lockdowns is causing serious deterioration in their heath from dementia, cancer and heart disease. Bet that one hurts. We preschoolers are better at lateral thinking than our elders so I hope that you aren't struggling too much with all of this. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

You build a goddamn compound like a hospital, and move all the sick and eldery in there.

Who is going to staff these compounds?  There's been a chronic shortage of health professionals even before Covid, but you think we've got enough to staff special covid hospitals?  And why would you put the elderly with "the sick"?  Are you trying to kill them off?

"You isolate the people who are vulnerable"

You don't even know who is vulnerable - more than you assume.  Currently younger people are getting sick, younger people are ending up in hospital and, ultimately, some die - because they thought they were safer than "old people", thought they could carry on as "normal."  

Your "plan" would see billions spent to build "compounds", understaff them, add to understaffing in all health facilities, let the virus spread among younger people and overwhelm the hospitals with younger patients.  That's a "dunderheaded" plan if there ever was one. 

And you know,  we're not even "shut down" - asking people to stay home as much as possible and take precautions, and shutting down a few high risk businesses - that isn't "shutting down the whole country." 

Edited by dialamah
  • Like 1

You don't even know who is vulnerable - more than you assume.  Currently younger people are getting sick, younger people are ending up in hospital and, ultimately, some die - because they thought they were safer than "old people", thought they could carry on as "normal."  

There are 6,926 active cases of covid in B.C., among a population of 5.071 million that means that 1 in 732 people in B.C. are currently infected. It appears that we are all low risk. We are all drowning in debt however. If freedom is normal, then normal is good.

There certainly are many things we could do better. More priority towards social services for people who are feeling anxiety about the virus and the isolation. Many are feeling the strain of this much worse than others who are better off. Its so easy to be dismissive when you dont need help.

51 minutes ago, oops said:

There are 6,926 active cases of covid in B.C., among a population of 5.071 million that means that 1 in 732 people in B.C. are currently infected. It appears that we are all low risk. We are all drowning in debt however. If freedom is normal, then normal is good.

If you want to know what happens when minimal effort is made to control the virus, look at the States.  Why would you wait till there's an actual crisis before doing something to mitigate it? 

Freedom doesn't actually mean we all get to do what we want, regardless of the effect it has on the rest of the society.  That would be called "chaos", and would be unsustainable.  

• Like 1

What you fail to realize is that flattening the curve means that people are getting the virus now that would have had it and recovered by now. You can't hide from the virus, you are too big. Everyone will come in contact with it eventually. If you think that we can keep spending ridiculous amounts of money for several more months and not not destroy what our parents, and grandparents have built, then you are naïve. We are leaving a legacy of debt that will be a burden for our children and grandchildren for decades, and in the end spare no one from the virus.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

There certainly are many things we could do better. More priority towards social services for people who are feeling anxiety about the virus and the isolation. Many are feeling the strain of this much worse than others who are better off. Its so easy to be dismissive when you dont need help.

Yes, we could always do better - that's part of being human. 

I work with 7 people on my team; we range in age from early 30s to early 60s.  Of those 8 people, two are cancer survivors and are imunnocompromised, one is diabetic and smokes, and one has asthma.  How do you suggest those 4 be "protected" while the others continue as normal?  (And don't assume that it's the older ones who are most compromised, cause you'd be wrong.)

In addition, one of the non-vulnerable people has parents who are extremely vulnerable - how would you protect her parents while still allowing her contact as she goes about her "normal life"?

How would you manage just these 8 people to "protect the vulnerable" while "saving the economy"?  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dialamah said:

how would 

Ive already given plenty of suggestions over the past many months. Dont expect me to solve your friends problems. 

Most people do not know how to properly protect themselves. If we were serious we would provide the public with better training.

It isnt just the public, its the lack of leadership that hands respoonsibility down to local levels, which is fine but doesnt give enough guidance on what to do. Lack of training again. These local managers then are left to decide on various things for which they have little training. Thats why things are sometimes different depending  on where you go.

I am not talking about 8 specific people, I am talking about systems, and funding.

Hospitals are overloaded and they were already at 90% capacity. The rationale for shutting down is to protect the system from being overwhelmed. I proposed in my previous post there are alternatives, by using big money in smart ways.

As for your friends, just be sensible and keep your fingers crossed. Even if you do all the right things, theres always a chance. 

https://theconversation.com/huge-government-debts-mean-canada-is-robbing-its-kids-147977

Before the pandemic, the combined federal and provincial Canadian debt totalled $1.4 trillion. And since then, this debt has rapidly grown, with governments borrowing another $300 billion in the current year alone. This debt will be mostly repaid by our children, their children and their children’s children.

This raises a moral matter of how we are treating our young and future Canadians. Is it ethical for governments to increase spending by placing greater debts on future generations?

Isn’t contractually placing our children into a monetary form of debt bondage morally indefensible? 

5 hours ago, dialamah said:

Who is going to staff these compounds?  There's been a chronic shortage of health professionals even before Covid, but you think we've got enough to staff special covid hospitals?

What a defeatist attitude. People should not roll over and take this, people are willing to take action. Work hard, to defeat the virus.

Weve spent billions on welfare that could have better been used to combat the virus. China took the right actions when they used their military, trained people to do certain vital medical procedures, and built massive medical facilities, literally overnight. They created the extra infrastructure with their money, not shut diwn and hand out welfare, and die.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:14 PM, Minnetonka said:

Watching Bonnie Boo all day long and over and over and over and over again is a choice that you make. I think you've got a crush on her, am I right? You've even got a pet name for her, heehee...

Okay comrade, I see where you are going with this. This is just another attack by some comrade like you that despises people like me our rights to our own opinions and points of view. I do not watch comrade Henry on TV all day long. No doubt that you do though, eh? I think that it just maybe you that has a crush on comrade Henry and that you probably have a pet name for her, uhmm comrade? I have a pet name for you but I will not dare say it here. It would not be appropriate for the audience to see. Chuckle-chuckle and a heehee to you too. :D

On 11/20/2020 at 8:09 AM, dialamah said:

From a nurse in the Tricities.  @oops, @taxme, @OftenWrong - she's talking to you. 

SmartSelect_20201120-080659_Reddit.jpg

Still trying to push the old comrade party line, eh? Look have you even bothered to check out on the internet a meeting called Event 201 put on by Bill Gates and his deep state ilk in October 2019 about preparing ourselves for a possible pandemic to happen. Well low and behold six months later we ended up with a pandemic or has some call it a plandemic. Come on get real will you? How much longer are you going to believe what is being told to you without you at least doing your own research and try listening to what the other side of the story has to say. 

What is wrong with people like you and others here who have refused to go and check that event 201 out? It says it all right there as to why we are in this so called plandemic. That nurse is only being told by her superiors that there is this big outbreak of a Covid crises. She has no clue or access to the tests that are being done by the lab or her hospital administrators and their test results. They just say that this person died from Covid 19 and we are all supposed to believe it whether true or not. Your nurse knows nothing at all except as to what she is being told just like yourelf. Just because one has tested for covid does not mean that they are in any danger of getting full blown Covid. 99% of the people being tested for covid end up with no symptoms at all. No fever and no respiratory problems, no China virus. It is as simple and plain as that. No need to shut down the whole bloody world over nothing all that serious. Millions of people die every year from some virus that rolls around every year. No big deal here. 

I have heard and read many stories where the many deaths due to Covid were fabricated. Are you able to verify those stories yourself by chance? Just because one works for a company does not have to mean that they know as to what is going on at headquarters. When they are being told something by their bosses they will believe as to what they are being told. It could be all just a lie. 

Sorry, but I am never going to be convinced that this Convid 19 farce and lie is just that and all for real. Event 201 already told me that. Believe what you want to believe and so will I. But unless you yourself have absolute proof that this China virus is all for real then stop trying to spread what may be false. just saying. ;)

7 hours ago, Minnetonka said:

Well, you told me, didn't you. I'll go cower in the corner.

Enjoy your time cowering in the corner and do please wear your mask. The Convid 1984 virus has been seen and found hanging around in corners. Oh my!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 5:37 PM, dialamah said:

If you want to know what happens when minimal effort is made to control the virus, look at the States.  Why would you wait till there's an actual crisis before doing something to mitigate it? 

Freedom doesn't actually mean we all get to do what we want, regardless of the effect it has on the rest of the society.  That would be called "chaos", and would be unsustainable.  

Rights don't suddenly end during a pandemic.  The Charter doesn't magically go away.

22 minutes ago, Shady said:

Rights don't suddenly end during a pandemic.  The Charter doesn't magically go away.

So every limitation imposed on us is against the charter?  Wearing clothes in public, wearing a seatbelt, having kids in special car seats, wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, stalking people, assaulting people  - these all contravene our charter rights?  What about forbidding the wearing of religious apparel - turbans, hijabs, niqabs, kippahs, the cross?  Isn't that limiting our personal rights and against the charter too, then?

• 1 month later...

It's not actually limiting your personal rights. Technically speaking, it's just common etiquette and respect that we do these things. It's no longer about the rights. Practicing your rights don't necessarily mean that you are free enough to not abide by the rules. I mean, we all want to do something, but we're not always entitled to what we want because sometimes it's not right. Same goes for travelling even thought there is a pandemic. Just keep your masks on, everyone. LOL. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 1:58 PM, taxme said:

How many times do I need to be told about and what I should be doing to avoid getting this China virus?

I have no problems here.  Haven't heard Bonny Boo a single time!  That's because I do not watch TV.  I may take a look at the news, but will not read anything marked with "COVID" in the headline. Radio?  same thing- I tune off as soon as the pandemic is mentioned.

The only discomfort is having to wear a stupid dirty piece of fabric face covering any time I walk into a store!  To this I object!