No UN seat for Canada

But liberal across the country love him for some reason.....just goes to show you if you got good hair , whacky socks and like the works uhhhmmm and aaahhhh, lets not forget a constant lying, loves to deceive people about anything and everything, loves to sign agreements and then tell the world we are not going to do that ….and somehow he will find a reason to blame all of this on Harper....it's not Justin it is all of his followers....that are the problem....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

But liberal across the country love him for some reason.....just goes to show you if you got good hair , whacky socks and like the works uhhhmmm and aaahhhh,

I don’t run into people who are that keen on any politician and I’m surrounded by Liberals. 

Nobody notices Canada. It’s been that way for many’s the year and it’s not a bad thing either. People have a vague notion that we’re nice which is enough. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Like 1

Lol Bush his black face may have gone over in Holland. They have that character every Christmas with Santa who helps him carry presents and he puts coal in your sock if you were bad.

On a more serious note, the UN as a moral authority is a bankrupt notion. Its been compromised fatally by human rights violating nations, corruption, and powerlessness.

I never will have a thing to do with it. Had it not been for Elenor Roosevelt standing up to the entire UN turning its back on Jewish refugees and single handedly defending hundreds of thousands of displaced Jews they would have never been able to find refuge back in our ancient homeland.

How the hell would I take the UN seriously abandoning Jews? It abandon innocent civilians slaughtered in Rwanda, Burundi. It paid scant lip service to massacres of southern Sudanese being slaughtered, Yazidis, Kurds, Tibetans. It allowed its UN Refugee Organization to be used by terrorist organizations as a cover to store weapons, transfer weapons and terrorists, and be used as launch zones. By so doing it not only  took sides in a conflict but it endangered the very refugees it was claiming to serve and exposed them to death and attacks instead of removing terrorists out of their camps or their UN facility buildings.

I know for a fact having worked on some international work investigating sex crime movement internationally its corrupt.  You can not do a damn thing with it. You run into some individual paid a damn good salary sitting in a New York apartment far removed from their country of origin lapping it up ignoring their fellow citizens.

It needs to replaced by an apolitical organization but the problem is the moment any organization is funded by a government, the political partisan corruption sets in.

Trudeau is a sphincter muscle for trying to get a seat. Norway and Ireland had been campaigning for 10 years before Canada entered into the competition. Why even compete?  Why? Why not wait for the round after that? Why even bother? Canada gains sweet phack all sitting on the Security Council.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Fascinating.....PM Stephen Harper got Canada more votes, and deeper into the voting rounds while spending far less money begging for a UN seat.

I suppose Trudeau's blackface photos didn't help.

But still lost. Either you get there or not. The amount of votes they each got means nothing.

17 hours ago, New World Disorder said:

The UN is proving to be irrelevant. Meaning we tear this all down and try again. It's been done before. However there is a huge price to pay.

like what, ex dictators across the globe will be unemployed...corruption might be routed out....not sure what the price will be ? 

Leaving unilaterally would leave you on the outside looking in.  I think there's an increasingly large bloc of countries that are getting disillusioned though, not the least of which being the united states. 

At this point it seems more useful as a tool for third-world dictators to band together and point fingers than it is for much productive.  The whole organization is so unashamedly cynical that I have trouble placing any faith in it..for anything.  

6 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Leaving unilaterally would leave you on the outside looking in.  I think there's an increasingly large bloc of countries that are getting disillusioned though, not the least of which being the united states. 

At this point it seems more useful as a tool for third-world dictators to band together and point fingers than it is for much productive.  The whole organization is so unashamedly cynical that I have trouble placing any faith in it..for anything.  

I think in todays situation , having a seat would be to much of a distraction, having to deal with everything like debt, economy etc....we need our full attention here and the near future....But really what real influence do we have now within the UN.... I mean what true allied have we not pissed off ?

10 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I think in todays situation , having a seat would be to much of a distraction, having to deal with everything like debt, economy etc....we need our full attention here and the near future....But really what real influence do we have now within the UN.... I mean what true allied have we not pissed off ?

Lol I get your point but saying Trudeau is easily distracted  is an understatement.

12 hours ago, scribblet said:

Guess they didn't want to be lectured by Dudley Do Right and maybe Trudeau was just too corrupt even for the U.N. 

Where do you start. Lavalin you bet Trying to lecture the world on feminism, climate change, yes. Trying to suck up to the UN by taking passive shots at Trump didn't work. His inept handling of disputes with Russia, China and Saudia Arabia, of course. His under-funding in NATO, yes. We have unresolved conflicts with Brazil and Iran. He pissed off the 5 eye allies New Zealand, Australia, and Britain over his approach to giving Hua Wei a contract in Canada that would have given them access to sensitive military information. His support of Kurds in their war against Iraq alienated Turkey. As far as I am concerned none of it really matters but only some deluded narcissist after alienating that many nations would think he could  perform oral exercises on remaining members to get on the council. More to the point the council is a flaccid body. Not even Justin's famed oral abilities could get it excited.. . I am sure Justin still dreams of a Nobel Peace Prize on the toilet every night. That is the only throne he will sit on. Besides he can continue to exercise his talents with his best buds Billy and Seemus now that he has ceded the day to day matters to the PM in waiting Ms Rosedale Hedge Hog. My prediction is he does not run again. He will let Ms. Hedge Hog run against Pistol Pete sensing defeat.

Ms. Hedge Hog v.s. Mr. Anteater Face. It will be a wonderful election.

Edited by Rue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rue said:

Where do you start. Lavalin you bet Trying to lecture the world on feminism, climate change, yes. Trying to suck up to the UN by taking passive shots at Trump didn't work. His inept handling of disputes with Russia, China and Saudia Arabia, of course. His under-funding in NATO, yes. We have unresolved conflicts with Brazil and Iran. He pissed off the 5 eye allies New Zealand, Australia, and Britain over his approach to giving Hua Wei a contract in Canada that would have given them access to sensitive military information. His support of Kurds in their war against Iraq alienated Turkey. As far as I am concerned none of it really matters but only some deluded narcissist after alienating that many nations would think he could  perform oral exercises on remaining members to get on the council. More to the point the council is a flaccid body. Not even Justin's famed oral abilities could get it excited.. . I am sure Justin still dreams of a Nobel Peace Prize on the toilet every night. That is the only throne he will sit on. Besides he can continue to exercise his talents with his best buds Billy and Seemus now that he has ceded the day to day matters to the PM in waiting Ms Rosedale Hedge Hog. My prediction is he does not run again. He will let Ms. Hedge Hog run against Pistol Pete sensing defeat.

Ms. Hedge Hog v.s. Mr. Anteater Face. It will be a wonderful election.

If anteater even makes it that far. O'Toole will give him a run.

When one loses a contest it’s considered good form to give the winner some credit. Norway was obviously an excellent candidate but I’m not sure why Canadian diplomats were so confident they’d beat Ireland. Irrespective of the party in power, that country has been pursuing this seat for 15 years, tirelessly cultivating support in the Caribbean, the Pacific and Africa. They even had U2 serenading the ambassadors. These days, Ireland fields far more UN peacekeepers than Canada. By their own estimation afterwards, most of the EU voted for them, naturally enough, and all but one Arab state too. 

Pierre Trudeau and Pearson were probably the keenest supporters of the UN. There’s been a bipartisan decline in interest since. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Personally I think the UN needs a profound re-imagining.  Owing to its makeup, it's a fundamentally unprincipled organization and its hypocrisy and cynicism is shameless.  At this point it looks more to me like a tool to leverage the guilt of developed/western nations and promote the interests dictatorships and third-world holes.  

When the West finally wakes up and sees the UN for what it is instead of what they wish it was, it will be a lot more useful.  Nearly half the membership is comprised of dictatorships or sham democracies, so it's naive to believe that the UN functions as some sort of unifying body.  It's a global diplomatic forum. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Nearly half the membership is comprised of dictatorships or sham democracies, so it's naive to believe that the UN functions as some sort of unifying body.  It's a global diplomatic forum. 

Well sure.  But those are still nations right?  It's an organized diplomacy system.  I would like them to have jurisdiction over some matters.  What would you change?

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

Personally I think the UN needs a profound re-imagining.  Owing to its makeup, it's a fundamentally unprincipled organization and its hypocrisy and cynicism is shameless.  At this point it looks more to me like a tool to leverage the guilt of developed/western nations and promote the interests dictatorships and third-world holes. 

I would actually like us and all the other real democracies leave the UN and form a new body. The wealthy members of this new body would direct all foreign aid to the less wealthy members - as long as they are real democracies which respect human rights (which does not include Pakistan, India or the Philippines). That would, at the least, give some incentive for other countries with borderline democratic systems to improve the rule of law and democracy in order to join.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well sure.  But those are still nations right?  It's an organized diplomacy system.  I would like them to have jurisdiction over some matters.  What would you change?

That's the problem.  It aims to be much more than just an organized diplomacy system.  Diplomacy, at its core, is negotiating, but in most cases the UN isn't even really negotiating anything.  The long-winded "negotiations" leading up to a UN resolution are sublime examples of cynicism, hypocrisy and moral relativism.  The "resolutions", at best, usually amount to nothing more than finger-pointing and empty promises - all in exchange for a lot of time and diplomatic energy.  

Since the majority of the member nations aren't even free democracies (I just looked it up), the needs of the organization are therefore tilted towards the needs of dictatorships that share few of our values and don't even express the will of their own people.  These regimes enhance their appearance of legitimacy on the global stage by supporting resolutions against their enemies (Israel for example) or work to compromise ones that are problematic for them, all the while paying lip-service to ideals that they regularly piss on.  

That's not to say we should abolish the UN.  As a diplomatic forum, it's worthwhile just to have a place where everyone can talk, make their concerns heard and even cooperate to negotiate inter-nation treaties.  By that I mean we actually have tit-for-tat negotiating, realizing the obvious imbalances of power and not pretending they don't exist (the whole security council veto mechanism makes this implicit, but why bother?).  

There are obviously other benefits to the UN and its myriad of organizations, but even with examples like the WHO we can see how badly compromised they can be just on account of the transparency of its members (hey China).  

• Like 1

It sure breaks my heart to see Trudeau not get what he wanted. No doubt he sulked a little bit over it but too bad for globalist Trudeau. Hopefully, Canada never gets a seat at all on anything that has to do with the globalist United Nations ever again. I wish that the UN would just go away as they have not done one bloody thing to try and make the world a better place. But they sure as hell helped make the world a hell of a hell hole place. All those other world outfits like the UN, WHO, UNESCO and others  needs to be abolished. None of them have done a bloody thing to make the world  better place. The world today is in a real bad state and shape. 

Save tax dollars. Why not. I know that I could use and do a better job with my tax dollars rather than be giving my tax dollars to a bunch of globalist communist liars, cheats and thieves like all those world outfits mentioned above like the UN. Abolish them all now. Works for me. :D