Rayshard Brooks Killed By Police In Atlanta. Free TVs For Everyone..

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/family-says-man-killed-by-police-was-27-year-old-father-four/AWYFPVV46FAWNOEEQ37DDSZUUE/?fbclid=IwAR12m9TO2QubonFZCxtG5hFokvnUxnT6Ay7TtaJRfd5Kj-Q_8H8Ep9N-Uak

Police were called to Wendy's where this guy was asleep in his car. He failed a field sobriety test and then resisted arrest, stole a taser, ran away and when he pointed the taser at the police he got shot.

MSM is quick to ignore the fact that he attacked police officers, they only see the end result and act like there was no good reason for the shooting.

Too bad so sad Rayshard. You were an idiot, and now instead of paying for a DUI ticket you're pushing up daisies. 

CTV just said "He was running from the police and got shot in the back. CTV is pure filth. 

• Like 2

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is investigating the shooting, said the deadly confrontation started with officers responding to a complaint that a man was sleeping in a car blocking the restaurant's drive-thru lane. The GBI said Brooks failed a field sobriety test and then resisted officers' attempts to arrest him.

The GBI released security camera video of the shooting Saturday. The footage shows a man running from two white police officers as he raises a hand, which is holding some type of object, toward an officer a few steps behind him. The officer draws his gun and fires as the man keeps running, then falls to the ground in the parking lot.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/atlanta-police-officer-garrett-rolfe-fired-another-reassigned-after-rayshard-brooks-death

Skip ahead to about 28:30 of the video below to see how the shooting happened.

Edited by Infidel Dog

It's important to note that the actual left does not feel itself to be served by MSM either.  Mainstream is a homogenizing culture that doesn't have time for points of view outside the middle 80%, which includes valid points outside that middle core, such as:

-Valid arguments against immigration
-Exaggerations of climate change
-Actual examples of military abuses, government support for abhorrent foreign governments, police brutality
-Economic arguments in favour of cutting off subsidies for domestic industry

Such discussions used to find themselves a home in the op-ed pages, panel discussions on radio and television.  The natural place for them to land would be on the web, but web forums such as this one have been invaded by propagandists, deficient arguments, and people who can only see things through their own moral lens.

If the current cycle of unrest is simply "people wanting free TVs" then a law-and-order response and arrests should work.  Why isn't that happening ?  I don't think mainstream news is instigating this as much as reflecting attitudes that exist in society.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

arguments, and people who can only see things through their own moral lens.

On behalf of all of us that see "things through their own moral lens" , is there anything we can do to make you feel comfortable ? We are sorry that we are trying to pass our experiences and views about life that helped many individuals to have a decent life.  I have seen it all, as an immigrant, and I can smell a propagandist when I see him, and it stinks in here, in my estimation. 

Let me leave you with this poem too, in my estimation this applies to all of you that achieved success with not that much struggle that sit there on their high horse looking down at the little people thinking they have the solutions for society problems:

When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.

I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.

When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.

Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.

PS: For any far left minority individual if you are looking to learn who the true beneficiaries of white privilege are, in my estimation, is the white people that are telling you every day that you can not succeed because of racism and discrimination. Is a perfect way to maintain power by distracting attention.

Do not listen to these agitators, the only person that wants your good is you, I start every morning by making my bed, it starts with the small things. Doing the small things right as an individual will allow you to make the big things right. One step at a time.

Edited by Independent1986

27 minutes ago, Independent1986 said:

1. On behalf of all of us that see "things through their own moral lens" , 
2. is there anything we can do to make you feel comfortable ?
3. I have seen it all, as an immigrant, and I can smell a propagandist when I see him, and it stinks in here, in my estimation. 
4. For any far left minority individual if you are looking to learn who the true beneficiaries of white privilege are, in my estimation, is the white people that are telling you every day that you can not succeed because of racism and discrimination. Is a perfect way to maintain power by distracting attention.

1. Everyone sees things through their moral lens, I referred specifically to those who ONLY can.
2. I don't need to be comfortable.
3. Ah, well FYI the prevailing attitudes from right-of-centre posters here is that immigrants should NOT be bringing their values here and trying to change Canada.  So beware.
4. The far left is not a factor in Canada or the US.  To say 'Black Lives Matter' is to not say that you can't succeed because of racism.  Racial strife and the attendant politics is part of life in North America, and perhaps that idea is new to you.  There are actual issues beneath that need to be discussed though, by right- and left- both.

At some point people need to take responsibility for their actions.  This instance isn’t even close to being in the same ball park as George Floyd.  But the world continues to have lost its mind, abandoning all logic and reason.  I’m hoping this will pass soon.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Shady said:

I’m hoping this will pass soon.

Me also.  I think the way to do it is for people to take on the task of criticizing their political cousins, even the extremists.

For the politicians responsible for getting us through this, grandstanding and moralizing has to give way to matter-of-fact, ie. boring, discussions.  There are no easy solutions, and moral condemnation of police, their unions, or whites in general is a feel-good-to-feel-bad exercise.  There are ways to get through this, but that's more work and less clickbaity.

• Like 2

On an intellectual level I can say, looking on it and with a little time, that they should not have shot this individual. Don't get me wrong. I don't care about Rayshard Brooks. He is, in my opinion, the author of his own misfortune. He drank and drove, and he resisted arrest, took a police taser and pointed it at them. Too bad, so sad. A case of Darwin's law here.

But I understand the police instinct, and I think almost any cop would have shot him under those circumstances.

• Like 1

Actually come to think of it, the OP illustrates a problem by elevating the value of a few TVs to be part of the conversation with a man being shot - whether there was wrongdoing or not. 

Somebody wrote an article complaining about the coverage of hockey players killed in a bus accident and they were hounded for it. She didn't trivialize the matter like the OP does, just questioned the attention that the story got.  Still, people like her and the original poster are ill-suited to broker discussions about solutions to political problems IMO.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

But I understand the police instinct, and I think almost any cop would have shot him under those circumstances.

Agreed.

It will be pretty hard to train police officers to allow themselves to get punched in the face and then shot at with a taser, and not fire back. Even if you trained police for that exact scenario, I bet that a certain % just shoot.

How much abuse can a cop be expected to take at their workplace? 

The taser could have hit that guy's partner in the face. He could have lost an eye, there's a small chance that it could have been fatal if it was a headshot, it was extremely dangerous. 

I can see the cop getting fired, mainly because of the timing of it, but the media is being grossly negligent by not putting the message out here: Don't steal a taser and then shoot it at the cops. I put a lot of the blame for this death squarely on MSM for their constant fear-mongering against the police. Young black men should be terrified, based on what they hear on CNN and CTV.

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Mainstream is a homogenizing culture that doesn't have time for points of view outside the middle 80%

I wish it were so. That might be how it was before, but not now. Or have you forgotten such forms we've amplified as reality TV and infotainment? In these very popular mediums, the more hype and the more bizarre, extreme, controversial, the more the get viewership. Hence more advertisement money, blah blah blah, you know the rest.The motivation is not to inform but to entertain and make money, and in some cases even to shape people's opinions. It's not yer Walter Cronkite style journalism anymore.

13 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/family-says-man-killed-by-police-was-27-year-old-father-four/AWYFPVV46FAWNOEEQ37DDSZUUE/?fbclid=IwAR12m9TO2QubonFZCxtG5hFokvnUxnT6Ay7TtaJRfd5Kj-Q_8H8Ep9N-Uak

Police were called to Wendy's where this guy was asleep in his car. He failed a field sobriety test and then resisted arrest, stole a taser, ran away and when he pointed the taser at the police he got shot.

MSM is quick to ignore the fact that he attacked police officers, they only see the end result and act like there was no good reason for the shooting.

Too bad so sad Rayshard. You were an idiot, and now instead of paying for a DUI ticket you're pushing up daisies. 

CTV just said "He was running from the police and got shot in the back. CTV is pure filth. 

American police are just too violent to people they encounter. In this case, they could have eased off out of taser range, let him run a few blocks, call in back-up and corner him when he’s knackered like the British police would do. And why are they trained to always shoot to kill? The guy was sleeping in his car when they got involved. Two rounds into his legs or backside would have brought him down.

Although US policing seem to have taken on a paramilitary mindset, many units of this ridiculously fractured force (18,000 separate bodies with their own policies and counting) haven’t learned the first lesson of counter-insurgency - earning the trust of the community. Camden seems to offer a few lessons in this regard. It has its own problems but it sounds like a better approach:

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/08/872416644/former-chief-of-reformed-camden-n-j-force-police-need-consent-of-the-people

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/06/14/us/ap-us-america-protests-rethinking-police.html

7 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

American police are just too violent to people they encounter. In this case, they could have eased off out of taser range, let him run a few blocks, call in back-up and corner him when he’s knackered like the British police would do. And why are they trained to always shoot to kill? The guy was sleeping in his car when they got involved. Two rounds into his legs or backside would have brought him down.

How many jobs require wearing ballistic body armour ?

They are trained to stop the threat immediately with escalating force.   Deadly force means shooting at center mass, not arms or legs or buttocks like in a Hollywood movie or TV show.

British police do not patrol in the openly armed United States, where 89 police officers were killed in 2019, 48 as felonious assaults.   Maybe the criminals are just too violent as well.

26 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Man, that's just hard to watch, knowing how it ends. 

He seems like such a nice guy. I don't know wtf he was thinking. 

- Clearly they were doing things to stress him out and confuse him. He was already somewhat confused.

- The point of the sobriety test when he waves his hand up down left right, while holding a bright light is to make you dizzy and disoriented. Then ask you to walk a straight line.

- The instructions the officer gave were almost intentionally confusing. How many times did he ask him about his shoes, and the man did say he would wear them. He didn't understand the context of the question. Just as he didn't understand the scale from 1-10 being sobriety to "inebriation". He didn't know what that word meant.

- After cooperating to the best of his ability, they grabbed him anyway. Didn't inform him of what they wanted to do, just grabbed him and started laying the cuffs on.

- The cop may have intentionally removed his camera as soon as the action started. I would not doubt that little trick what so ever

Way I see that, they killed the poor bastard. He did the wrong things, but they led him to that point. These are law enforcement professionals, but it wasn't a very professional job, imo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Or have you forgotten such forms we've amplified as reality TV and infotainment? In these very popular mediums, the more hype and the more bizarre, extreme, controversial, the more the get viewership.
2. Hence more advertisement money, blah blah blah, you know the rest.The motivation is not to inform but to entertain and make money, and in some cases even to shape people's opinions.
3. It's not yer Walter Cronkite style journalism anymore.

1. Fair comment.  I would still say this content is focused on the 80% that is shocked by such things, ie. mainstream morality.  But that's a thought-provoking counter example for sure.  
2. Now the relationship between public morality and advertising money is an interesting topic.  The first all-African American television show was cancelled ... in 1953 ... due to a threatened boycott of advertiser Blatz beer ... by the NAACP !  So there is something there.  News is also an odd one, since there shouldn't be a relationship between pure information and whether you support the messenger and yet there always is.
3. And one can see the effects of that without moralizing.  You can also look at history.  Partisan news died in the 19th century because it wasn't economically feasible, ultimately.    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

How many jobs require wearing ballistic body armour ?

They are trained to stop the threat immediately with escalating force.   Deadly force means shooting at center mass, not arms or legs or buttocks like in a Hollywood movie or TV show.

British police do not patrol in the openly armed United States, where 89 police officers were killed in 2019, 48 as felonious assaults.   Maybe the criminals are just too violent as well.

They were chasing a guy with a taser, not an assault rifle. Was he going to kill loads of people on a tasering rampage in the next ten minutes?  Why use deadly force? The dumb answer is because you can. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

They were chasing a guy with a taser, not an assault rifle. Was he going to kill loads of people on a tasering rampage in the next ten minutes?  Why use deadly force? The dumb answer is because you can. 

Why stop at tasers ?  Why not knives, or rocks, or nunchuks ?

Make the police play fair, dammit !

3 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Although US policing seem to have taken on a paramilitary mindset, many units of this ridiculously fractured force (18,000 separate bodies with their own policies and counting) haven’t learned the first lesson of counter-insurgency - earning the trust of the community. Camden seems to offer a few lessons in this regard. It has its own problems but it sounds like a better approach:

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/08/872416644/former-chief-of-reformed-camden-n-j-force-police-need-consent-of-the-people

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/06/14/us/ap-us-america-protests-rethinking-police.html

Police are trained to shoot for center of body mass. They're just using pistols to hit moving targets, it's really easy to miss if you aim for someone's leg and they're standing still. Forget about hitting the leg of a guy who's running.

If you miss someone's leg and the bullet bounces up off a sidewalk ad kills a 7 yr old that's completely unacceptable. 

I know that Biden talked about aiming for the legs, but Biden is a total idiot.

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

- After cooperating to the best of his ability, they grabbed him anyway. Didn't inform him of what they wanted to do, just grabbed him and started laying the cuffs on.

That was because of the breathalyzer. He blew into it, the cop waited for the reading, and as soon as it said .108 he started to go into handcuff mode.

- The cop may have intentionally removed his camera as soon as the action started. I would not doubt that little trick what so ever

I doubt it. He was holding the guy's arm in one hand and handcuffs in the other. The camera came off instantly when the fight started.

There's usually more than one cop with a camera, plus cameras in the cars.... If a cop ever got caught intentionally removing their camera they'd be screwed.

Way I see that, they killed the poor bastard. He did the wrong things, but they led him to that point. These are law enforcement professionals, but it wasn't a very professional job, imo.

Nah. They have to give a sobriety test, in addition to the breathalyzer. He could be high on weed, not just booze. In Canada you can blow under .07and still be impaired - the physical tests are important. The guy could also have .04 alcohol in his blood but have THC in there as well, which would make him really wasted. 

That part was just evidence gathering.

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Why stop at tasers ?  Why not knives, or rocks, or nunchuks ?

Make the police play fair, dammit !

The police are public servants, guardians of the peace. They should only kill people when absolutely necessary. Too often in the US, situations get escalated into shooting homicides that should not have occurred. It’s crazy. Foreigners can see that. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

13 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The police are public servants, guardians of the peace. They should only kill people when absolutely necessary. 

They are also enforcers of the law, with employment risks and liabilities for their own safety and the safety of others.   

Cops who use excessive force should be fired and prosecuted.

Criminals who assault police officers (and others) may not be so fortunate.

Edited to add:  Foreigners see that they come the U.S. as legal and illegal immigrants more than any other country in the world.

It's crazy....

Edited by bush_cheney2004