This is now very little ability to disagree with the Left

Stockwell Day had the gall to deny Canada is a racist country. For that he has been shunned, fired, and dumped from his jobs with a law firm, with Telus, and as a contributor to CBC's power panels.

You are not permitted to stand up for Canada any more. You are not permitted to publicly deny this is a shitty, racist country with 'systemic racism' everywhere. If you do, the Left will destroy you.

"We have to recognize that our system is not perfect in Canada," Day said during the panel discussion. "Yes, there's a few idiot racists hanging around but Canada is not a racist country and most Canadians are not racist. And our system, that always needs to be improved, is not systemically racist."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stockwell-day-systemic-racism-canada-1.5597550

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Argus said:

Stockwell Day had the gall to deny Canada is a racist country. For that he has been shunned, fired, and dumped from his jobs with a law firm, with Telus, and as a contributor to CBC's power panels.

You are not permitted to stand up for Canada any more. You are not permitted to publicly deny this is a shitty, racist country with 'systemic racism' everywhere. If you do, the Left will destroy you.

"We have to recognize that our system is not perfect in Canada," Day said during the panel discussion. "Yes, there's a few idiot racists hanging around but Canada is not a racist country and most Canadians are not racist. And our system, that always needs to be improved, is not systemically racist."

Diversity in all things except opinion to quote a comment on the CBC website.

People on the left don't understand that by going this route they create extremism. Is like a never ending cycle. 

There are a few people on this forum that have opinions that are out there (more on the right I might add) but I think is very good to allow people an environment to express their views because if we don't, those same people will go underground and become extreme.

Suppression of thought is the worst thing you can do to a human being. It goes against every value of our democratic system.

Edited by Independent1986
  • Like 3

Anybody can be racist against any other race, but most people are not racist.  I guess that was what Day was commenting on. 

Obviously intolerance goes far beyond mere racism.

1 hour ago, Independent1986 said:

Diversity in all things except opinion to quote a comment on the CBC website.

People on the left don't understand that by going this route they create extremism. Is like a never ending cycle. 

There are a few people on this forum that have opinions that are out there (more on the right I might add) but I think is very good to allow people an environment to express their views because if we don't, those same people will go underground and become extreme.

Suppression of thought is the worst thing you can do to a human being. It goes against every value of our democratic system.

I think we have given too many special interest groups a voice, and a stage to be heard, (more on the left side) and now today they are all screaming at the same time, and nobody is really hearing anything, and if this country wants to move forward it has got to have the blessing from a majority of these groups or there are protests / road closures etc.. making it almost impossible to get anything down...

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I think we have given too many special interest groups a voice, and a stage to be heard, (more on the left side) 

So ... you're suggesting taking away constitutional rights of freedom of expression, association and assembly? 

Or that are they only for white people? 

Clarify ... ?

Edited by jacee
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jacee said:

So ... you're suggesting taking away constitutional rights of freedom of expression, association and assembly? 

Clarify ... ?

What does white people have to do with what he said ? I have to say, if I was some broke white guy somewhere in the MidWest, the economy and automatization took away my job and on top you have people talking about me being a white guy (like I should feel guilty about it just because I am sharing an opinion), I think even with my education, in that scenario I would vote for Trump. 

You can't have a conversation anymore without identity politics.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Independent1986 said:

What does white people have to do with what he said ?

The OP is about racism. Sorta kinda related to a Black man being murdered by 4 cops in the US recently, resulting  protests everywhere, chaos in the US ... and specifically Doug Ford in Ontario repeating something like what Stockwell Day said (OP) - 'Canada isn't racist like the US ... ' 

We're more subtle about it perhaps.

34 minutes ago, Independent1986 said:

I have to say, if I was some broke white guy somewhere in the MidWest, the economy and automatization took away my job and on top you have people talking about me being a white guy (like I should feel guilty about it just because I am sharing an opinion), I think even with my education, in that scenario I would vote for Trump.

Oh ya, Trump's hydroxychloroquine-damaged brain is gonna fix all that for ya! 

Fill yer boots.  Lol 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, jacee said:

Fill yer boots.  Lol 

Right Right, the more someone screams about racism and tries to lecture the more it seems yourself most likely are a racist. Canada racist ? You should go on a trip to Russia Ukraine Romania Hungary, Austria. Is hard to see when you don't have a relative point to go by.

Fear and being talked down to people makes individuals choose irrationally like Trump's election. Don't think you are more superior, any human being in the right circumstances can make irrational choices. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New World Disorder said:

I guess racism can only be against blacks but not indigenous people? Keeping track of who hates who is getting confusing.

George Floyd was a Black man murdered by four white cops, all now arrested and charged:

2nd degree murder,

Aiding and abetting 2nd degree murder x 3.

It's the context of the topic.

That and resulting protests.

I'm not going to debate whether racism is worse outside of Canada.

This is a good summary of Toronto incidents.

Outstanding right now is the verdict in the aggravated assault of Dafonte Miller by an off duty Toronto PS officer and his brother.

December 2016 — The beating of Dafonte Miller: The then-19-year old Black Whitby man was severely beaten during an encounter with off-duty Toronto police officer Michael Theriault and his brother, Christian Theriault. He sustained serious damage to his eye, which required surgical removal. The brothers were charged with aggravated assault; the trial was completed earlier this year but the verdict has been delayed by COVID-19 court closures.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/06/02/from-police-shootings-to-protests-over-anti-black-racism-torontos-last-three-decades-of-racial-controversy.html

Edited by jacee

4 hours ago, jacee said:

Outstanding right now is the verdict in the aggravated assault of Dafonte Miller by an off duty Toronto PS officer and his brother.

December 2016 — The beating of Dafonte Miller: The then-19-year old Black Whitby man was severely beaten during an encounter with off-duty Toronto police officer Michael Theriault and his brother, Christian Theriault. He sustained serious damage to his eye, which required surgical removal. The brothers were charged with aggravated assault; the trial was completed earlier this year but the verdict has been delayed by COVID-19 court closures.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/06/02/from-police-shootings-to-protests-over-anti-black-racism-torontos-last-three-decades-of-racial-controversy.html

If you pick up a magnifying glass you can find problems everywhere. Maybe when we can change our DNA we can have a perfect place, until then I am sorry to be skeptical of this utopia you want.

For example, I know of a case of someone from Algeria that applied to a subway store a few years ago and when he called to follow up he was lectured how bad muslims are in India and he won't be able to get the job. When my aquintance informed the person on the other line that he will seek legal action he was told "I don't care" and he hanged up the phone.

Now I can easily pick up the same magnifying glass and start making generalizations but then I realize that there is a percentage of individuals in every group that revert to tribalism. In Canada that percentage is minimal, everything else is propaganda against this great country.

The average individual in each group just wants a good life for their family unfortunetely some listen to agitators that are telling them: "It is us vs them".

Is a nice way to keep society distracted and make some money on division.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacee said:

The OP is about racism. Sorta kinda related to a Black man being murdered by 4 cops in the US recently, resulting  protests everywhere, chaos in the US ... and specifically Doug Ford in Ontario repeating something like what Stockwell Day said (OP) - 'Canada isn't racist like the US ... ' 

Fill yer boots.  Lol 

This is the crap that causes extremism. And if you want yo see real trouble just keep calling all white people racist. So irresponsible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Argus said:

The "Employment Equity Act" forces systemic racism in Canada because it requires employers in Canada to discriminate on the basis of race when making hiring decisions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jacee said:

Clarify ... ?

You do this ever time you respond to a post, you make outrageous claims. I did NOT suggest taking away any freedoms, or associations, and assemblies....What i did say was we as a nation have given these specials interest groups more than just the freedoms we all enjoy, we also provide the stage so they can preach their ideas.

Take the LGBQ special interest group, not only have we given them they're special space but we set aside an entire month for their cause, and god forbid if you do not participate in the parade....or on the other hand god forbid they use the parade to exclude other groups such as police or military, or whom ever they want to discriminate against....this is just one example there are so many special interest groups today , and each one is trying to scream over the other, ensuring nothing gets done in this country..

What I was suggesting is taking away the national stages we provide, like an entire month devoted to just LGBTQ issues... and treat everyone the same. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PIK said:

This is the crap that causes extremism. And if you want yo see real trouble just keep calling all white people racist. So irresponsible.

It's not about calling all White People Racist. 

It's about recognizing that being white has some serious built-in benefits from years of systemic racism and discrimination. 

Denying that White privilege exists is being wilfully ignorant. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jacee said:

The United States is not racist. There was no racism involved in the death of George Floyd. Everyone simply sprang to that conclusion in a knee-jerk reaction because the cop was white and he was black. Cops have killed white people before like this and no one paid attention.

12 hours ago, jacee said:

So a bunch of stories of black men trying to stab or run over police being killed leads you to believe racism was involved?

Edited by Argus

2 hours ago, Boges said:

It's not about calling all White People Racist. 

Yes, it actually is. It's a denunciation of the entire country, but of course, since progressive never think non-whites can be racist, it's a denunciation of White Canada. White Canada, which has, over the decades, permitted millions of non-whites to immigrate here, and welcomed them, then gets denounced by these same people as racists. Well how about if these visible minorities just pick up their shit and go back where they came from? I'm sure the people of India, Pakistan, Iran, China, Malaysia, Somalia, Jamaica and Nigeria are far more enlightened.

2 hours ago, Boges said:

It's about recognizing that being white has some serious built-in benefits from years of systemic racism and discrimination. 

What is systemic racism? Name it. Give me examples. Or shut up about it.

2 hours ago, Boges said:

Denying that White privilege exists is being wilfully ignorant. 

Bullshit. I'm not going to take your complaints about some kind of magical, mystical nationwide systemic racism at face value. Show it. Prove it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

How do you cancel a football player? Ask Colin Kaepernick, hypocrite 

A. He was a second rater when he was cancelled.

B. He had no right to protest on his employer's time, in his employer's uniform, at his employer's workplace, especially in a way which would outrage the employer's customers.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

I understand both sides of this argument.  I watch a ton of NFL and like to get into the stats and pools etc, and in a sense you're right.  Kaepernick was not a top-tier QB and his success was based off a novel offensive system, but he WAS good enough to play and better than a bunch of starting QBs and certainly better than most backups.  He definitely was made persona-no-grata in the League.

On the other hand, we've seen enough censorship and firings over the years by companies penalizing their employees for public behavior and outspoken views, so there's that as well.  I'd argue that CK's POV and "cause" was substantially less offensive and actually kind of admirable, but at the same time you have to understand that as an employee under contract, you don't really get to set your soapbox up on national TV.  Nobody does.

The league did, however, handle this poorly, and it looks pretty bad on them now.