Is Hyper-Partisan Media Mostly to Blame for the Rioting?

If you're not aware that the US media is split along party lines then this discussion isn't for you lol. 

Backstory warning - I used to watch CNN to get my American news, and I only watched when something big happened. The turning point for me was when Michael Brown was shot and CNN refused to show video of Michael Brown's actions leading up to the shooting. Once you see how he was acting, the whole "gentle giant" narrative was hot to hell, and suddenly there's also an obvious reason for the police to be there talking to him. CNN never talked about it like that, and I thought at the time that they were just trying to keep the riots going because people were glued to the news 24/7 to see it. I didn't know at that time that they were basically a wing of the Dem party, but even now I don't know if their political affilialtion has anything to do with why they pimped rioting like it was the most legit thing a person could do.

FFWD to now, how this political divisiveness contributed to this situation though, is CNN got millions of viewers all ginned up on Trumpophobia, and the country has been at a slow boil for 3 years now. TRUMP IS GETTING IMPEACHED THIS WEEK! OK he is getting impeached this week! Ok next week! Ok next week! Ok for sure next week, because now there are 13 INDICTMENTS FOR RUSSIAN COLLUSION, AND FLYNN AND MANAFORT ARE IN JAIL FOR COLLUSION!!!!!!!! TRUMP CALLED ALL IMMIGRANTS ANIMALS!!!! TRUMP'S BORDER GUARDS ARE FORCING PEOPLE TO DRINK OUT OF TOILETS!!!! He's a racist and we have another reason to impeach him!! WALLS ARE RACIST!!!! Trump appointed a rapist to the Supreme Court! IMPEACH!!!! TRUMP PUT KIDS IN CAGES, OBAMA WOULD NEVER DO THAT!!!! Trump failed on coronavirus! Trump killed a great, well-loved father figure for Iranians! Trump is an idiot and a liar - Obama never had him wiretapped!

Honestly the hyperbole and the blatant lies are too many to mention. 

Now all the impeachment efforts have failed, and blame for covid in the US is shifting to individual governors, and a lot of Trump-haters were just Jonesing for their new fix. George Floyd getting murdered was just what the doctor ordered for CNN. 

Trump put the FBI on this murder case right away, and yet idiots are protesting at the WH.

IMO media is 85% to blae for this. The truth is that lots of white people get killed by cops in the same way. We all have proof that the cop was an asshole, no one has proof that he killed that guy because of race.

16 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

The media does edit things a certain way, but I don't blame them for the riots, I blame the cop who murdered Floyd and I blame the rioters themselves.

It's the media who immediately portrayed this as a racist incident, and then roped it in to other 'racist' incidents directed at black people and created the fictional narrative of a police war on black people and racist police forces constantly attacking and killing black people.

Where were the riots in Dallas a few years back when Tony Timpas died in similar circumstances. You've never heard of him, I know. He was white, so there was no mass media attention and no riots.

You can shrug this off as media hype if there were isolated protests and riots. 

They were protesting in Salt Lake City!!!! Dozens of cities participated. The media can't create a narrative about an obvious murder by cop caught on video. 

The reaction to these murders seem to be gaining traction. Revolutions are larger than the inciting incident. WW1 wasn't really about Franz Ferdinand. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 12:25 PM, Argus said:

It's the media who immediately portrayed this as a racist incident, and then roped it in to other 'racist' incidents directed at black people and created the fictional narrative of a police war on black people and racist police forces constantly attacking and killing black people.

Where were the riots in Dallas a few years back when Tony Timpas died in similar circumstances. You've never heard of him, I know. He was white, so there was no mass media attention and no riots.

Well, I think it's wrong for people to frame this as a racist incident.  We don't know the motive of the cop.  What is for sure is that this was a police brutality incident.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Well, I think it's wrong for people to frame this as a racist incident.  We don't know the motive of the cop.  What is for sure is that this was a police brutality incident.

Yes. And it turns out Minneapolis police had had no less than 44 people pass out due to this neck kneeling business over the last 5 years. It's amazing how they never did anything about it, like instituting new training to alert their officers to the dangers of asphyxiation.

But the people out in the street are primarily enraged by the racism angle.

3 hours ago, Boges said:

You can shrug this off as media hype if there were isolated protests and riots. 

They were protesting in Salt Lake City!!!! Dozens of cities participated. The media can't create a narrative about an obvious murder by cop caught on video. 

The reaction to these murders seem to be gaining traction. Revolutions are larger than the inciting incident. WW1 wasn't really about Franz Ferdinand. 

It would be a very brief revolution. The people in the state are primarily black with a mix of young white progressives. There are a lot of people sitting at home glaring at their TV screens and wanting police to stomp these people into the dirt. They're getting more fed up by the day, and they have one helluva lot more guns than the progressives.

47 minutes ago, Argus said:

It would be a very brief revolution. The people in the state are primarily black with a mix of young white progressives. There are a lot of people sitting at home glaring at their TV screens and wanting police to stomp these people into the dirt. They're getting more fed up by the day, and they have one helluva lot more guns than the progressives.

I think that's the next step. Is this a culture war where protest needs to be stamped out? 

Trump wants military to take charge. I think people's comfort level with all this will then be tested. Because that's the kind of thing they do in China. 

Edited by Boges

51 minutes ago, Argus said:

Yes. And it turns out Minneapolis police had had no less than 44 people pass out due to this neck kneeling business over the last 5 years. It's amazing how they never did anything about it, like instituting new training to alert their officers to the dangers of asphyxiation.

But the people out in the street are primarily enraged by the racism angle.

The more this unfolds and the more groups that become involved the more its taking on a totalitarianism angle.  Police brutality symbolizes totalitarianism one hell of a lot more graphically than the public health-based lock-down that 2nd Amendment dingbats and the White House encourage people to worry about.   

Edited by eyeball

44 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You have a link for this 44 number?  I only saw a video of one protestor with a knee on his neck and he didn't seem to pass out.

You don't pass out if it's done properly and not held in place for minutes at a time. But police training is often poor, and many departments don't retrain people very often over the years, or even at all.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minneapolis-police-rendered-44-people-unconscious-neck-restraints-five-years-n1220416

Edited by Argus

On 6/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, Moonlight Graham said:

It's been brought to light that the D Chauvin had 18 previous complains against him. So his aggressiveness was known for a long time.  I do not know of any other job where you can have multiple complaints and absolutely nothing done about it until that cop kills a person.  Most jobs, you mess up 3 times and you are OUT.  What rules are the police playing by?

Having watched some of the coverage last night on American TV I can say that for the first time ever, I found FOX news far more unbiased and honest than CNN. CNN was disgraceful and seemed like they were actually trying to incite more violence.

There seems to an unusually high number of journalists being physically assaulted or hit with projectiles such as pepper balls by police this time. It's hard to tell if there's a pattern to this. 

Apparently, the US has something like 18,000 police forces, all with their own policies and manuals. That's a recipe for disaster. More specific federal laws on appropriate arrest methods and the investigation of officers when things go wrong are clearly required. What often emerges in these incidents is a history of misconduct, individually or within a force, that has not been properly dealt with over years and has been concealed from the public. Police unions have played a big part in protecting bad apples. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland