How and when did democracy fail?

Argus

On 5/27/2020 at 12:07 PM, scribblet said:

Obviously they don't because no one seems to be getting too worked up about it, Canadians seem to be quite happy to have Parliament shut down and replaced with a Covid Committee.

Trudeau and his Liberals have nothing but contempt for Parliament and contempt for debate, dialogue and criticism.  These are essential elements of democracy but for the Trudeau regime, they are just an inconvenience.   Each day we seem to be moving closer and closer to full dictatorship  andapparently there’s nothing we can do about it.  

I think Canadians aren't paying much attention, and even at the best of times thought Parliament was unimportant - just going through the motions.  But it's the only oversight a government has in a parliamentary system. And now thanks to the Left wing parties there is no oversight on anything other than covid. Parliament will meet in the fall to approve some $150 billion in spending and the Liberals have said that they will be given just 4 days  hours to examine what the spending is for before voting.

And remember, this was the shiny new young guy who was going to change everything, who was going to give power back to parliament and have a transparent government. It's no wonder Canadians have such a jaundiced view of politicians. On the other hand, it's Canadians who let them get away with it by simply voting the same gang that lied to them back in again.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Argus said:

I think Canadians aren't paying much attention, and even at the best of times thought Parliament was unimportant - just going through the motions. 

I think everyone figured the Apocalypse would go out with a bang and there'd only be handful of us long since reduced to scavenging, hunting and gathering.

But not until we beat ourselves to death over our debt first?  A big ass-asteroid would have been a whole lot more fun. Fricken' conservatives...I imagine even the Grim Reaper feels like slashing his wrists over a black cheeriness they carry right to the end of the world and probably beyond.   

12 hours ago, eyeball said:

But not until we beat ourselves to death over our debt first?  A big ass-asteroid would have been a whole lot more fun. Fricken' conservatives...

When is the time to worry about our debt? When we're Greece, and having to cut elderly people's pensions and drastically slash all social services including health care?

When we're three quarters of the way to that? How soon do we worry? How much debt should pile up before a fricken conservative starts complaining?

22 hours ago, Argus said:

When is the time to worry about our debt? When we're Greece, and having to cut elderly people's pensions and drastically slash all social services including health care?

I guess you only worry when the man or the alien battle fleet overhead says time to pay up or else and there's no way around it.  When it's just Greece or some ne'er do well on their own we can all laugh and roll our eyes before getting all hard-assed about demanding payment but now it's Earth and people aren't talking about cutting and slashing pensions and services and health care, they're demanding to know why they've been so poorly funded and managed all these years. 

So when's the time to throw hundreds of millions and maybe billions of people around the world into the streets now, next week, next year? It'll be like we're in that proverbial village that can only be saved by destroying it and I think I'd rather see capitalism being destroyed if that's the best it can come up with. It's easy to see why cultural revolutions become such vengeful affairs.

Where are all the number-crunching pencil-sharpening sleeve-rolling innovators when capitalism really needs them?  Saving civilization isn't incentive enough, they're just prepared to sit back and watch it all fall apart because...Greece?  If you say so.

Good thing it's just a global pandemic and depression we're trying to recover from eh, imagine if this was climate change action.

Edited by eyeball