Classical Liberal Rex Murphy Rips the Green Party to Shreds

Guest ProudConservative

I haven't watched anything Michael Moore has done since the Columbine flick (he's a hack), but I suspect any criticism of the Green Energy movement is based on how politically compromised it's been thus far.  Even just in Ontario, something between $10-20 billion has been spent in the last 10 years on building wind-turbines and solar panels that then had to be hooked up to the grid and that haven't even made a dent in our energy mix. 

The engineers and economists warned that it was going to be a colossal failure, but the Ontario Liberals proceeded regardless.  Where did all that money go?  To companies like Samsung  and others who temporarily employed a small number of people.  Most of those jobs are gone now and we have nothing to show for it other than skyrocketed electricity bills and a huge pile of debt. This experience has been echoed all over the world.  

37 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I haven't watched anything Michael Moore has done since the Columbine flick (he's a hack), but I suspect any criticism of the Green Energy movement is based on how politically compromised it's been thus far.  Even just in Ontario, something between $10-20 billion has been spent in the last 10 years on building wind-turbines and solar panels that then had to be hooked up to the grid and that haven't even made a dent in our energy mix. 

The engineers and economists warned that it was going to be a colossal failure, but the Ontario Liberals proceeded regardless.  Where did all that money go?  To companies like Samsung  and others who temporarily employed a small number of people.  Most of those jobs are gone now and we have nothing to show for it other than skyrocketed electricity bills and a huge pile of debt. This experience has been echoed all over the world.  

I am very concerned about air pollution so I am a huge supporter of clean energy but I also have to concede what you say.

However alternative clean energy sources should not all be rejected because of stupid politicians

In regards to wind they were warned it has to be used in less than three story constellations. Wind works well in small turbines. High level wind turbine towers  can create serious harm. 

The Dutch have used wind, so have many cultures and of course sailors.

I have seen self contained  sphere homes developed for use in the Negev desert that use wind, sun and rain and enable you to live in extreme cold to extreme heat conditions. These homes look like igloos in shape and size.

Edited by Rue

2 hours ago, Rue said:

However alternative clean energy sources should not all be rejected because of stupid politicians

I absolutely agree, but stupid and non-viable solutions should be rejected.  

There ARE success stories around the world.  Solar panels work a lot better in places like Arizona, and wind-turbines work better in Scotland or off the coast of Holland. 

Neither were a very good fit for Ontario in most cases, since the tech wasn't far enough along for widespread adoption or connection to the grid.  The "stupid politicians" have, however, done far more harm to Ontario than just a lot of wasted money.  They've wasted so much money that they've made future Green energy initiatives (even actually workable ones) far more contentious than they ever should have been.  Just mentioning "Green Energy" makes a lot of people shudder in Ontario now.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sillywalker said:

Well I did change the Canada disability act allowing crones and ileitis to be listed as real disabilities instead of being called diseases that are in the head.  I helped stop the liberal caucus from traveling Canada looking for systemic racism , I led the silent protest 2 years ago on the May long weekend. Got the government to open washrooms in many Canada employment centers for clients to use. I have sent over 10,000 letters this year to members of parliament while at the same time teaching people how to take an active role in government by using their democratic voice not just whining on sites like this. I am all so fighting for total governmental  Recall. Apathy is the enemy of any country . Why what have you done?

Is this the part were we wipe it out and compare sizes, judging by your accomplishments I'll concede, you win, not sure what this has to do with my post except your not the majority of Canadians who are very happy with the status quo, and find it hard to step out of their comfort zone, or just don't give a shit..... I've sent letters to any MP that would listen liberal and conservative, about vets medical benefits or the lack off, started petitions  that gained some traction with some MP's to look into vets medical benefits and mental health issues. Which got me no where, to quote Justin we are asking for more than they can give right now....

In my spare time I show other vets how to claim for different disabilities, how to wade through the mountains of paper work just to get started. Me and several other vets also host a round table of sorts with other vets , giving them a place to tell others their experience with the same issues (mental health issues or medical issues) their stories, we trade information on what prescribe drugs work or don't work, other treatments options....which doctors to see, which mental health clinics are helpful...how to cope with the ghosts of war, those sorts of things....We are trying to prevent suicides by giving them one more tool in the toolbox.... Most of the time we just listen....And while the vet affairs here in NB is very helpful they are very busy. And mental health experts are hard to get into see , and steady appointments are almost imposable when they are needed....

Guest ProudConservative
17 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Is this the part were we wipe it out and compare sizes, judging by your accomplishments I'll concede, you win, not sure what this has to do with my post except your not the majority of Canadians who are very happy with the status quo, and find it hard to step out of their comfort zone, or just don't give a shit..... I've sent letters to any MP that would listen liberal and conservative, about vets medical benefits or the lack off, started petitions  that gained some traction with some MP's to look into vets medical benefits and mental health issues. Which got me no where, to quote Justin we are asking for more than they can give right now....

In my spare time I show other vets how to claim for different disabilities, how to wade through the mountains of paper work just to get started. Me and several other vets also host a round table of sorts with other vets , giving them a place to tell others their experience with the same issues (mental health issues or medical issues) their stories, we trade information on what prescribe drugs work or don't work, other treatments options....which doctors to see, which mental health clinics are helpful...how to cope with the ghosts of war, those sorts of things....We are trying to prevent suicides by giving them one more tool in the toolbox.... Most of the time we just listen....And while the vet affairs here in NB is very helpful they are very busy. And mental health experts are hard to get into see , and steady appointments are almost imposable when they are needed....

I think vets should visit universities... Like I've shown you, I was brought up in an extremely liberal... hate the military university. You have dealt with the tail end of my brainwashing... If you want to change hearts and minds, go to the source of the modern day thought-control.

If you did a guest lecture at a Canadian university, maybe you could win over the hearts and minds of a few liberal students... Who don't realize that soldiers are people too. Maybe a professor sitting in, would get inspired, and chance his point of view... on Canada, and it's role in the world.

Edited by ProudConservative

On 5/11/2020 at 3:50 PM, Michael Hardner said:

1. Thanks for falling in line with the double standard on conflicts-of-interest.    No surprise that Conservatives and Liberals get different rules from you.
2. Not while he's legislating... of course you would shreik in shock if a Liberal did this.  No surprise.
3. I haven't heard that.  I would guess not, though.  There was already political capital in NOT having SNC fail, just like the pipeline.  Do you think he got bribed to bail out the pipeline ?  Trudeau's corruption is part-systemic and part-going-for contributions and support...
4. I don't know - I'm just wondering if he got paid to say it.
5. Awwww... jeez so sorry I made you feel bad WestCan.   I can just imagine your face getting really red right now... boy oh boy...  I know you're definitely not a snowflake but maybe your corruption glasses filter out the colour blue ?  

Also I don't like Trudeau.  He wastes money on Pipelines to make people like you call him a Stalinist etc... 

But other than that, carry on... :lol:

Its not a conflict of interest. There is nothing that prevents journalists from accepting paid speaking gigs. You mistake the legal concept of conflict of interest with bias. He may have a bias but not a conflict. The two are not the same. Of course he has biases he is an editorial commentator.  That is why he was hired...to express his biases...what you do not like is his opinions or biases. Like the CBC and other people of your same biases, you don't like his. He was fired for not having the same biases as the CBC wanted him to have. You slap labels on him he has never denied. He is open about his opinions. Now he is fired for having them which means the CBC once again fires people they can not turn into their mouthpieces.

Edited by Rue

33 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

I think vets should visit universities... Like I've shown you, I was brought up in an extremely liberal... hate the military university. You have dealt with the tail end of my brainwashing... If you want to change hearts and minds, go to the source of the modern day thought-control.

If you did a guest lecture at a Canadian university, maybe you could win over the hearts and minds of a few liberal students... Who don't realize that soldiers are people too. Maybe a professor sitting in, would get inspired, and chance his point of view... on Canada, and it's role in the world.

You think universities are the source of modern day thought control?  Look again. Try the internet and your cell phone. Look what they have done to you AND ME.

Edited by Rue

Guest ProudConservative
16 minutes ago, Rue said:

You think universities are the source of modern day thought control?  Look again. Try the internet and your cell phone. Look what they have done to you.

Well... I was a normal person, until I went to University. I've come to resent the programming.

19.thumb.jpg.3d682346fb0baea18cf302c157d3200c.jpg

16 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

Well... I was a normal person, until I went to University.

Nah the decision to consider yourself abnormal came from you not the university. Your above sentence proves that. Takes one to know one. You and I were always insane. So what. Normal is boring.

Edited by Rue

Guest ProudConservative
5 minutes ago, Rue said:

Nah the decision to consider yourself abnormal came from you not the university. Your above sentence proves that.

You don't have a clue how screwed up the university professors are. Let me guess, maybe you're offended because you use to teach?

Guest ProudConservative

The reason I like Rex Murphy so much, is he's scratching his head... and thinking to himself... What on earth has happened to academia? He's a classical liberal... a real progressive, not one of those phony airheads who are trying to run a cult.

8 hours ago, Rue said:

1. There is nothing that prevents journalists from accepting paid speaking gigs.
2. You mistake the legal concept of conflict of interest with bias.
3. He may have a bias but not a conflict. The two are not the same. Of course he has biases he is an editorial commentator.  That is why he was hired...to express his biases...
4. what you do not like is his opinions or biases.
5. Like the CBC and other people of your same biases, you don't like his. He was fired for not having the same biases as the CBC wanted him to have.

1. I don't believe that.  There are the policies of their hiring organization, and the perceptions of that organization's 'public'.
2. I don't think the law comes into it.  You can have a news organization with as much conflict of interest as it likes.
3. No, it's a conflict.  Everyone has some degree of bias, but not everyone is listened to for their journalistic analysis unaware that the organizations being assessed are customers of the analyst.
4. Whether or not I "like" him or his opinions is completely beside the point here.  Unlike most posters, I think it's very necessary for an opposing point of view to be given space and consideration.  I, as a thinking human, realize that my perspective is only one, that I have blind spots, and that the policies of a large population need to represent the many views that exist.
5. This is horseshit.  The CBC is terrified of their perception as a biased organization, IMO, and wants to have some right-wing presence... as long as they have a Canadian flavour.  They did nothing about Don Cherry's comments for years and it was Rogers who eventually had to let him go because they are actually responsive.

If you don't believe me, then you don't.  

21 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

Here is a thought, why don't you and any other university students go down to the local VA hospital or vets care home , and just talk to the vets...they love the company, and they love to talk about most things...including what it is like to be a soldier....meet them on their ground... be open and honest with them and they will return the same... but I must warn you if your going down there to push leftist ideas, you might not like what you hear.... You should do it fast they are not going to be around forever. As our past government has changed the rules on what is classified as a veteran, yes once the Korean war vets have passed there will no longer be any vets in long term care, us modern soldiers have to pay our own way, that and none of our conflicts were classified as conflicts, or wars...

I've seen u tube video's on what happens to anyone with right sided views, the students and teachers do nothing but ridicule and make noise so you can't be heard....very few of them we even attend....See what happens when Canadian forces recruiting teams vist some of Canada's universities....no thanks, Todays left don't want to hear about anything that does not fall in their believes...

I do know a few of my comrades that do public speaking about mental health issues with a mixed crowd of people , meaning not everyone is military....but once the audience find out they are military, they are treated differently from the others...Even when it is mental health issues is what brought everyone together....Hard to talk about how they got mental health issues without bringing up they we in the military….

So no thanks , this brain washing as you suggest normally will start to change once they get into the really world....as for the teachers, well those that can not do, normally end up teaching….these are the ones that are beyond help...

On 5/13/2020 at 2:48 PM, Moonbox said:

I absolutely agree, but stupid and non-viable solutions should be rejected.  

There ARE success stories around the world.  Solar panels work a lot better in places like Arizona, and wind-turbines work better in Scotland or off the coast of Holland. 

Neither were a very good fit for Ontario in most cases, since the tech wasn't far enough along for widespread adoption or connection to the grid.  The "stupid politicians" have, however, done far more harm to Ontario than just a lot of wasted money.  They've wasted so much money that they've made future Green energy initiatives (even actually workable ones) far more contentious than they ever should have been.  Just mentioning "Green Energy" makes a lot of people shudder in Ontario now.  

Well said man.

Guest ProudConservative
1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

I do know a few of my comrades that do public speaking about mental health issues with a mixed crowd of people , meaning not everyone is military....but once the audience find out they are military, they are treated differently from the others...Even when it is mental health issues is what brought everyone together....Hard to talk about how they got mental health issues without bringing up they we in the military….

So no thanks , this brain washing as you suggest normally will start to change once they get into the really world....as for the teachers, well those that can not do, normally end up teaching….these are the ones that are beyond help...

I don't mean you personally, but more vets should go to the universities to help neutralize the source. If they're aren't outside voices, students will be exposed to a bubble.

22 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

You don't have a clue how screwed up the university professors are. Let me guess, maybe you're offended because you use to teach?

Lol why would I be offended. Its true but please don't tell me your insanity or mine is only because of university professors. You flatter me. Seriously. I have no brain washed groupies. The students I have taught are quite independent. Their addictions, illnesses, personalities,  lol, very very little to do with me. Come on man, blaming university professors or any teacher for brainwashing you is a cop out to avoid taking responsibility for your own thoughts and actions. Nah. You come by your views honestly man. No one shoved them in you. The fact you blame university professors necessarily means they sure as hell did not brain wash you. If they did you would be praising them. Think about it.

Had you been in any of my classes you would have never been told what you should think or given just one opinion. I teach law and conflict resolution. We see an infinite number of positions to any issue. I have  taught certain kinds of criminology, risk management or psychology but its all formulas not closed concepts or definitions. The formulas are flexible and not a one size fits all formula just guidelines you may or may not use.

I could argue with you whether a person with bi polar disorder or depression should or should not take medicine but I would not pose it as you HAVING to take medication. I would simply present the pros and cons of a medication. You are an adult. You have to make your own decisions and stop blaming others. Its like going to psychoanalysis. It can tell you that some of your behaviour comes from unresolved issues of the past but blaming people in the past for your issues is pointless. You have to let them go and here and now make your own decisions.

1 minute ago, ProudConservative said:

I don't mean you personally, but more vets should go to the universities to help neutralize the problem. If they're aren't outside voices, students will be exposed to a bubble.

Its a good idea and many do at elementary and high schools.  They have told me by university, students are too self absorbed or get into a very fixed and rigid set of views that don't exactly make it conducive to free speech. I have been at such encounters and seen students shout down people they disagree with.

By the way I am not a full time professor. I always worked. I taught but part-time. I never solely was an academic. I found the world of full time academia artificial and fascist and they found me to be unruly and insane. Of course. I worked for a living. It has that kind of effect on people. Its all good. We should question. Vets are great history teachers.

• Like 1

Guest ProudConservative
5 minutes ago, Rue said:

Lol why would I be offended. Its true but please don't tell me your insanity or mine is only because of university professors. You flatter me. Seriously. I have no brain washed groupies. The students I have taught are quite independent. Their addictions, illnesses, personalities,  lol, very very little to do with me. Come on man, blaming university professors or any teacher for brainwashing you is a cop out to avoid taking responsibility for your own thoughts and actions. Nah. You come by your views honestly man. No one shoved them in you. The fact you blame university professors necessarily means they sure as hell did not brain wash you. If they did you would be praising them. Think about it.

Had you been in any of my classes you would have never been told what you should think or given just one opinion. I teach law and conflict resolution. We see an infinite number of positions to any issue. I have  taught certain kinds of criminology, risk management or psychology but its all formulas not closed concepts or definitions. The formulas are flexible and not a one size fits all formula just guidelines you may or may not use.

I could argue with you whether a person with bi polar disorder or depression should or should not take medicine but I would not pose it as you HAVING to take medication. I would simply present the pros and cons of a medication. You are an adult. You have to make your own decisions and stop blaming others. Its like going to psychoanalysis. It can tell you that some of your behaviour comes from unresolved issues of the past but blaming people in the past for your issues is pointless. You have to let them go and here and now make your own decisions.

Well lets see at 19... One of my profs said... "Don't be the the person who gets recognition today, make the sacrifice so in a 100 years you will be remembers as a hero. If future generations could yell back at you, what would they scream about? Everyone one of you needs to be that hero."

I've seen a lot of students dragged into a cult, so ya I have a grudge against the universities. I'm so happy people like Jordan Peterson is exposing them.

1 hour ago, ProudConservative said:

I've seen a lot of students dragged into a cult, so ya I have a grudge against the universities. I'm so happy people like Jordan Peterson is exposing them.

Well JP is no Rex Murphy but he has started nothing if not a cult.  Undergrads will idolize their profs for the semester.  Jordan has gained an army of Incels by spouting wisdom such as "clean your room".

Guest ProudConservative
5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well JP is no Rex Murphy but he has started nothing if not a cult.  Undergrads will idolize their profs for the semester.  Jordan has gained an army of Incels by spouting wisdom such as "clean your room".

Too be honest, I think Jordan Peterson is way too overrated. He makes a few good points here and there, but then goes off on crazy tangents that make little to no sense. Are you a retired university professor, academic, or journalist?

8 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

Are you a retired university professor, academic, or journalist?

Are those the only choices ?

You know those guys who stand on the sidewalk cranking a music box, while a monkey on a leash does a little dance?

Well I show up when it's time to clean the monkey.

Guest ProudConservative
9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Are those the only choices ?

You know those guys who stand on the sidewalk cranking a music box, while a monkey on a leash does a little dance?

Well I show up when it's time to clean the monkey.

Never mind. I already found you, let's just say... you have a background in finance. Please a little financial advice. What assets should Canadians consider during the pandemic, when prices are low?

By the way, I have great respect for accountants. I wish Justin Trudeau was an accountant.

13 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Peterson's support goes far, far beyond "incels", and from what little I know of you I'd expect you to know better than that.  There's no doubt that many "incels" admire him, but his academic arguments mostly focus on free-speech and he represents a counter-culture against what many argue (including myself) is out-of-control political correctness. 

The one thing that I really don't like about him is that he doesn't do enough to distance himself from the more toxic alt-right, incel or even racist supporters.  Folks who speak out against him tend to get death threats from neo-Nazis and the like, and Peterson's rebukes against them could be a lot more energetic.  

14 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

1. Peterson's support goes far, far beyond "incels", and from what little I know of you I'd expect you to know better than that. 

2. There's no doubt that many "incels" admire him, but his academic arguments mostly focus on free-speech and

3. ...he represents a counter-culture against what many argue (including myself) is out-of-control political correctness. 

4. The one thing that I really don't like about him is that he doesn't do enough to distance himself from the more toxic alt-right, incel or even racist supporters.  Folks who speak out against him tend to get death threats from neo-Nazis and the like, and Peterson's rebukes against them could be a lot more energetic.  

1. How would I know who is in Peterson's cult unless I was in it ?
2. They did in the beginning but he has since become a weird kind of Oprah for the alt-right.  I think he saw the opportunity to cash in and took it.  As such, he has reduced his influence at a time when he could have helped the discussion.
3. As I said, he could have been that and I was eagerly following what he said in the beginning.  One thing you have to realize is that reputation is actually important.  If you align yourself with trolls and troll organizations you will be excluded from a wider discussion and that's perfectly legitimate.
4. It doesn't matter at this point, he is not trusted by the very people that need to be part of the dialogue.  So if we want to have a 'discussion' about political correctness that excludes the very people he is looking to influence then what do we have ?  The answer is the same old balkanized and unreasonable politics that proves so profitable for merchants of angertainment, but actually does nothing to foment discussion.