Border Security & Gun Control (from an American)

43 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Tell that to the thousands of poor blacks who are forced to plea bargain and in some cases plea guilty to crimes they didn’t commit.

Tell it to the thousands of victims of gun homicides.

The Prime Minister has one vote.  It’s true that he can whip a vote of support from the members of his party, but that can be quite a gamble at future leadership votes.  Also, if the PM acts against the public interest, he or she can be removed through dissolution of Parliament by the Governor General.

Federal US laws restricting weed mean that your property can be confiscated.  If you have more than a certain amount of money on you, it can be confiscated.

Law enforcement is generally more brutal and incarceration rates much higher, yet so are crime rates.  

All that is anecdotal, the fact is, the US is a republic and we are a still a monarchy.  In the US they vote on issues -- gay marriage, drug legalization, judges, police etc.  they vote on all social issues - we dont.  Basically, the PM is a king.  However, no PM has taken advantage of that fact until Trudeau.  

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 6:15 PM, Hal 9000 said:

If you're thinking that Canadians have more rights and say in their gov't than americans, you're truly delusional.

And yet I'm quite certain you've screamed bloody blue murder before that Canada's government grants every single right imaginable to whatever fill-in-special-interest-group-here that so much as threatens to kick their feet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

All that is anecdotal, the fact is, the US is a republic and we are a still a monarchy.  In the US they vote on issues -- gay marriage, drug legalization, judges, police etc.  they vote on all social issues - we dont.  Basically, the PM is a king.  However, no PM has taken advantage of that fact until Trudeau.  

No it isn’t anecdotal and the stats have been presented on this site long ago.

How is the PM a King?  In the end, all Trudeau can do is propose legislation that has to be passed by Parliament in the Commons and Senate.  It must also be constitutional and get the GG’s signature.  A lot of legislation gets sent back by parliamentary committee for re-writes, and sometimes there’s consultation galore.  

• Like 1

On May 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM, scribblet said:

...the media is in Trudeau's pocket.   His morning pressers where CBC is given more questions and media are hand picked, are not a substitution for Parliamentry debate.mWhy do you think Trudeau doesn't want Parliament to convene...

IMO a lot of people are in favour of banning these guns

True indeed. Those are the ones who see the overall picture here. That this ban is all about preventive maintenance yes sir with respect to Canada's, future, and unfortunately in terms of radicalized upcoming homegrown terrorists who are disgruntled. Yes, disgruntled regarding how Trudeau & Parliament have aligned Canada with the USA Dems' Globalism frontier and I hope @AYanker76 can soon figure that out here.

Edited by Tdot

On 5/8/2020 at 8:58 AM, Zeitgeist said:

How is the PM a King?  In the end, all Trudeau can do is propose legislation that has to be passed by Parliament in the Commons and Senate.  It must also be constitutional and get the GG’s signature.  A lot of legislation gets sent back by parliamentary committee for re-writes, and sometimes there’s consultation galore.  

dude, you can love 'em or hate 'em, but the USA is the freest country in the world.

On 5/3/2020 at 7:24 AM, AYanker76 said:

Do Canadians take such a scenario seriously, and are contingencies for securing the Canadian border regularly updated? 

You are trolling, aren't you?  Our borders are controlled, and if the US masses want to invade, the Canadian military will be deployed. 

If the US military wants to invade us, this is a totally different matter which cannot solve even with the banned semi-automatic weapons in our possession.

If you intend to bring any weapons with you into Canada, just stay back there.

On 5/9/2020 at 6:47 PM, Hal 9000 said:

dude, you can love 'em or hate 'em, but the USA is the freest country in the world.

Simply not true.

Or to quote Jim Jefferies "In Holland I can have sex with a prostitute while smoking pot - in front of a cop!"

16 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

That's not actually freedom.

It's the freedom to do something you'd be arrested for in the US. But there's lots of freedoms and protections the US doesn't have. For example, the state (or city) can expropriate your property not merely for some public works project like a pipeline or road, but to give to a developer who wants to use it to make money with a shopping mall or some other development. That's pretty wacked, I think.

Other than the freedom to walk around carrying a gun I'm not sure where the US qualifies as 'most free'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Argus said:

the state (or city) can expropriate your property not merely for some public works project like a pipeline or road, but to give to a developer who wants to use it to make money with a shopping mall or some other development.

You should show proof, show evidence, that you are correct here. Which states & cities?? Provide links to the laws, because you made a pretty huge statement there... so I think it is fair that readers get know if you are simply dead wrong here.

Edited by Tdot

Do notice the troll disappeared and tdot suddenly appeared. Its a repeat pattern on this forum now in many threads and its odious and tiresome and it needs to be called out for what it is trolling by the same source posing as more than 1 individual.

Edited by Rue
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 7:54 PM, cougar said:

You are trolling, aren't you?  Our borders are controlled, and if the US masses want to invade, the Canadian military will be deployed. 

If the US military wants to invade us, this is a totally different matter which cannot solve even with the banned semi-automatic weapons in our possession.

Now that shit is funney....Canadian military would be deployed " you make it sound like they would be frighten somehow, or even cause for concern...….The US marine corp would just have to send it's women, seeing how they outnumber our entire military....lets not forget our military is the size it is because thats the way Canadians want it, you can't have your cake and eat it too, .... Our military might just give them the keys to the kingdom in exchange for better equipment, better benefits, and for the most part they look after their vets, all of them....

4 hours ago, Army Guy said:

The US marine corp would just have to send it's women, seeing how they outnumber our entire military....

This is what I said.  If their military wants to invade us there is nothing we can do.  What size do you believe our military should be?   They outnumber us 10:1.

In this situation you just hope they will not show themselves to the world again for the assholes they are by invading us.    Now that we have a large number of Chinese and East indian residents, waging war on us might be like waging war on China and India put together.

On 5/8/2020 at 11:58 AM, Zeitgeist said:

Find out what majority rule and political parties mean.  Gimme a break with your fantasy world of neutral behaviour.  Yah the Lavalin legislation was a model of cooperation not to mention  the gun banning. Its just one happy family working together.

Tory and Liberal oh so lovely

Working together in harmony

Hey and another thing

Do not forget the Greenies and Mr Singh

And  come on duh

Don't forget dah bloc quebecois

Oh gosh and golly gee

One big happy family

And whether we are right of left wing

Lord Justin Trudeau is not King

Why would he tell anyone what they must do

When this man has no clue

But wait  he  bans the gun

And he don't mean just one 

Hey we can't have them when travelin

Unless they're gonna be sold by Lavalin

And hey if  you question Lord Trudeau

Ask the former Justice Minister where you go

This Justin sang nothing could be fina

Than the efficiency of the government of China

Yah they sure manage our friend covid

Not to mention arresting innocent Canadians indeed

Ah but I am such a grump

I mean after all he's not Donald Trump

So he has no daughter by the name of Ivanka

But he finishes every sentence with the words  um er ugh

And how can you not like his lisp

He sounds just like Quinton Crisp

Oh get real you must  know

He's the son of  Fidel Castro

He's the king up on his throne

You can hear him flush when he's on the phone 

And do never forget his Royal Trophy

His adoring wife Queen Sophie

When we sing  God Bless the Queen 

We mean Justin Trudeau  not James Dean

And on that note I'm gonna go

All hail King Justin of Trudeau 

Edited by Rue

On 5/16/2020 at 11:53 PM, cougar said:

This is what I said.  If their military wants to invade us there is nothing we can do.  What size do you believe our military should be?   They outnumber us 10:1.

In this situation you just hope they will not show themselves to the world again for the assholes they are by invading us.    Now that we have a large number of Chinese and East indian residents, waging war on us might be like waging war on China and India put together.

Well since you want to take my weapons do not worry I will fight the invaders with a hockey stick. I do not need a helmet or armour I will use my hockey equipment. I have pucks I can throw since I have no grenades. Yah yah we use the Zamboni as a tank. Al Americans will be interned in our homes like after 9 11.

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Find out what majority rule and political parties mean.  Gimme a break with your fantasy world of neutral behaviour.  Yah the Lavalin legislation was a model of cooperation not to mention  the gun banning. Its just one happy family working together.

Hey and another thing

And  come on duh

Oh gosh and golly gee

One big happy family

Ah but I am such a grump

Well done.  

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Well done.  

Oh go on Z yer just being polite. Lol. I do get yer pt. you know that. On one level Trudeau is just the mouthpiece for an unamed network of advisors and yes a lot of legislation is watered down by that committee process and the 3 readings before the final one. You know I get you. I just mean some stuff can be arbitrary.

8 hours ago, Rue said:

Hey and another thing

And  come on duh

Oh gosh and golly gee

One big happy family

Ah but I am such a grump

Cool. 

I am Glad I have been an, inspiration, on your decision to post political opinions via rhyme-schemes :) like the type I publish from time to time here. Thanks, for helping grow the culture. 

"he bans the gun, no not the one for fun ---the one built to quickly kill many humans at once! "

Edited by Tdot

On 5/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, Argus said:

It's the freedom to do something you'd be arrested for in the US. But there's lots of freedoms and protections the US doesn't have. For example, the state (or city) can expropriate your property not merely for some public works project like a pipeline or road, but to give to a developer who wants to use it to make money with a shopping mall or some other development. That's pretty wacked, I think.

Other than the freedom to walk around carrying a gun I'm not sure where the US qualifies as 'most free'.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:12 PM, Tdot said:

You should show proof, show evidence, that you are correct here. Which states & cities?? Provide links to the laws, because you made a pretty huge statement there... so I think it is fair that readers get know if you are simply dead wrong here.

He is correct.  It is called eminent domain.  Here is the letter, here is an example of how it has actually been used.  I am originally from another state, where this practice was very common.  As in the example, typically it was a local government acting in concert with corporate interests to seize homes of residents who were often low-income, minority or elderly. 

On 5/9/2020 at 3:54 PM, cougar said:

No, I'm not trolling.  The last time I checked, your military expenditures were a fraction of ours. 

You're probably right.  2nd amendment activists here are always blathering on about how guns stave off governmental oppression, blah blah.  The fact is that, with such militarized, brutal police forces and a heavily entrenched system of surveillance, AR15's wouldn't be very effective.

You have no power to stop me from doing anything.  I'll bring what is allowed by Canadian law.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:47 PM, Hal 9000 said:

You do know we have a dictator....right?

I understand that you feel have been let down by your leaders.  In no way is Canada perfect, nor is the U.S. all bad.

However, please also understand that "better" and "worse" are in relation to where one is, and I will be happier there.  When it boils down to it, the issue is safety.  Violence against people has become to normalized in the U.S., and that has taken its toll on our capacity for humanity.   

8 hours ago, AYanker76 said:

He is correct. 

Actually, no he is not correct.  And your pretty cool link there, even verifies that he is incorrect ---or I just missed the part where your link said GOVT acts on behalf of corporate interests in these cases.

Your link is about the famous, well-known law that allows for Public/GOVT use of land in terms of eminent domain.  If you go back to your link you'll find that it does not say, whatsoever, that land can be taken for reasons regarding private developer's profiteering like @Argus has wrongly claimed here.

Edited by Tdot