Meanwhile in Toronto ... Let's debate a picture

1 hour ago, Argus said:

I don't know if there was ever a time when the media was unbiased and didn't have an agenda. I doubt it. But in the old days they didn't deny it. Then around about the 1960s or so the major media took on a new face and pretended to be completely unbiased. Reporters, especially the famous news presenters on CBC, CTV and the US big three, would "tell it like it is". Maybe in those days they actually were somewhat unbiased. But they certainly aren't now. They have an agenda which causes them to pump up stories that agree with their agenda, or go find them if they have to, and minimize those which go against their agenda. FOX is the most obvious about it, which makes their 'fair and balanced' motto a joke. The Toronto Star is the FOX news of Canada, but at least they're honest about their progressive slant. And no one really doubts how the Sun chain feel. The CBC, on the other hand, certainly has a progressive agenda, but they don't admit it. To my mind that's worse. Most of the mainstream press have a definite progressive agenda, but again, they won't admit it. And it's this dishonesty which has caused a lot of people to disparage the 'mainstream media' and driven them to even less reliable sources of information on the internet.

Is there such thing as a centrist non-bias newspaper ? I am so sick of reading the CBC then the National Post and spend several minutes to think about why are they saying something ? Always looking for tools to save myself some time.

Edited by Independent1986

2 minutes ago, Independent1986 said:

Is there such thing as a centrist non-bias newspaper ? I am so sick of reading the CBC then the National Post and spend several minutes to think about why are they saying something ? Always looking for tools to save some time.

The Globe and Mail is your best option.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

The Toronto Star is the FOX news of Canada, but at least they're honest about their progressive slant. 

I thought that the Toronto Sun is the Fox News of Canada. I tried reading the Toronto Sun or there was a left wing borderline communist newspaper called METRO in the TTC, now they changed it. 

I challenge any moderate to pick up the Toronto SUN or this METRO and try to understand their point of view on majority of topics. I gave up, can't do it.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

And here we have an example of the leftist disdain for patriotism and love of country. For as in the US, the Canadian left demonstrate out-group loyalty.

You meant, here I just showed examples of what freedom should look like ---no matter which political party you are in.  You know I loathe Dems, yet you also know Dems would love my perspective here on the flag.

You are a Dem, so you hate America/you hate Patriotism/you hate National unity ---which is why I caused you to be too, afraid, to speak on how the Dems did Karen Whitsett last week for her exercising her patriotism and love of country-over-political-party.

Edited by Tdot

2 hours ago, Independent1986 said:

I thought that the Toronto Sun is the Fox News of Canada. I tried reading the Toronto Sun or there was a left wing borderline communist newspaper called METRO in the TTC, now they changed it. 

I challenge any moderate to pick up the Toronto SUN or this METRO and try to understand their point of view on majority of topics. I gave up, can't do it.

The Sun chain tries for a blue collar attitude in keeping with the thought it was being read by people on the bus and at their lunch tables at work. It is aimed more at men than women, but on most social issues it remains fairly liberal. Certainly it favours abortion rights and gay rights.

The Star has its progressive agenda set in stone in its founding documents.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tdot said:

You meant, here I just showed examples of what freedom should look like ---no matter which political party you are in.  You know I loathe Dems, yet you also know Dems would love my perspective here on the flag.

You are a Dem, so you hate America/you hate Patriotism/you hate National unity ---which is why I caused you to be too, afraid, to speak on how the Dems did Karen Whitsett last week for her exercising her patriotism and love of country-over-political-party.

You're not even an interesting troll.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

An upside-down flag is a universal sign of distress.

ie: If your ship is sinking and you fly a flag you turn it upside down to warn of distress to get help.

That's something I never heard but get help from whom ? Is there more help than what this country is offering ? I am curious what else can be done.

3 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

An upside-down flag is a universal sign of distress.

ie: If your ship is sinking and you fly a flag you turn it upside down to warn of distress to get help.

I think Moonlight has hit the nail on the head, it is a sign of distress and our nation is in distress, with a long road ahead of it before becoming once again normal as we once knew normal ..

I think you would have gotten a different response had they been burning the flag, walking on it, or showing disrespect to it. And while it may be personal own  it still represents our nations flag and should be shown respect at all times.. there are NO laws that protect the flag, from any of the above there is however a government etiquette on flags which state it should be treated with respect but not enforced by law.... 

That being said burning , spitting , or stomping on the Canadian flag is a good way to instigate a fight...Do it on a military base, and see what happens, you should phone 911 before hand, call for the police and an ambulance.... The national flag is how we honor our dead with, it drapes each and every coffin that comes home, that same flag is presented to the widow as a sign of respect for the sacrifice their spouse has given the country...you might be able to get away with spitting , stomping, a soldier, but not doing the same to the flag...thats the line you should not cross...

Edited by Army Guy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I think Moonlight has hit the nail on the head, it is a sign of distress and our nation is in distress...

True indeed.

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

with a long road ahead of it before becoming once again normal as we once knew normal ..

It's over, and normal is gone forevermore. Accept it.

What the Dems have done, is put North America on a course of no return; in 30-40 years Canada will be under the control of lightskinned immigrants who are lead by our great LGBT brethren.

Edited by Tdot

18 minutes ago, Independent1986 said:

I think I will be switching from the duo CBC - NATIONAL POST to MacLeans - Globe and Mail, especially the morning readings, their articles are more balanced, thanks.

At this point, I found it most efficient to read the biased news outlets on both sides, as that makes it easier to figure out what the real propaganda is once you compare the stories to a neutral news outlet.

14 hours ago, Independent1986 said:

protest.jpg

Picture from Global News

This was in Toronto yesterday, the Canadian flag upside down by two people that most likely were born and lived here their entire life. I said most likely so I might be wrong, my apology to the Political Correctness crowd on both sides for speculating on someone's origins.

If this is the case, it proves to me again the point that loving your country has nothing to do with being born in a country how some ultra nationalists on the right try to tell us (I am aware of the danger of ultra nationalism).

I came here as an immigrant and the immigrants that I know will never dare to put the Canadian flag upside down. Why ? Because we have seen other systems and we are thankful that this great country allowed us to come here and be part of this society.

I used to be a huge patriot, now I'm not a "flag upside-right" guy anymore. I couldn't care less if they walked on it or wiped their butt with it. 

Edited by WestCanMan

8 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I used to be a huge patriot, now I'm not a "flag upside-right" guy anymore. I couldn't care less if they walked on it or wiped their butt with it. 

Of course not, you seem more loyal to the United States & Donald Trump than your own nation, "To each its own" its an old Talmudic saying my Israeli friend uses when we argue opposite political points :)

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 5:21 AM, Independent1986 said:

protest.jpg

Picture from Global News

This was in Toronto yesterday, the Canadian flag upside down by two people that most likely were born and lived here their entire life. I said most likely so I might be wrong, my apology to the Political Correctness crowd on both sides for speculating on someone's origins.

If this is the case, it proves to me again the point that loving your country has nothing to do with being born in a country how some ultra nationalists on the right try to tell us (I am aware of the danger of ultra nationalism).

I came here as an immigrant and the immigrants that I know will never dare to put the Canadian flag upside down. Why ? Because we have seen other systems and we are thankful that this great country allowed us to come here and be part of this society.

Looking to hear other opinions and different points of view on this topic

PS: Nobody said it is illegal or it should be illegal, I am a citizen that have an opinion about other citizens actions. At the end they can do whatever they want with their private property. I am not part of anti fa or the alt right to impose my point of view on people.

@eyeball

Is that you in the back ? :D Joking, good morning :D

Anyone that flies the flag upside down is in fact showing deliberate disrespect and their opinions do not matter to me at all, I think it is a slap in the face. If you wish to show anger hang a photo of the political leaders upside down. NEVER THE CANADIAN FLAG

1 hour ago, sillywalker said:

Anyone that flies the flag upside down is in fact showing deliberate disrespect and their opinions do not matter to me at all, I think it is a slap in the face. If you wish to show anger hang a photo of the political leaders upside down. NEVER THE CANADIAN FLAG

Maybe they don't respect the flag.  Might as well show it if that's the case.  Besides, maybe they own the flag.  They can do whatever they want to it.

6 hours ago, sillywalker said:

Troll or just stupid that is my question....no wait a minute I know the answer.

Neither, of course.  Just an opinion you can't refute.  No-one is obligated to respect a flag, and anyone can treat their own (by that I mean they own it, not just that's it of their country) flag in anyway they want.

You can think whatever you want of flags and flag owners, and express such if you wish.  It doesn't make any difference.

On 5/3/2020 at 7:21 AM, Independent1986 said:

protest.jpg

Picture from Global News

Looking to hear other opinions and different points of view on this topic

PS: Nobody said it is illegal or it should be illegal, I am a citizen that have an opinion about other citizens actions. At the end they can do whatever they want with their private property. I am not part of anti fa or the alt right to impose my point of view on people.

@eyeball

Is that you in the back ? :D Joking, good morning :D

Sorry I am responding late. I support anyone's right to non violent protest. So  I totally agree with you .... I believe their  right to express themselves as disagreeable to us as it may be, if not violent, is a freedom democracy allows for the same reasons we can speak freely too...so I say ignore it, speak out against it, but it should not lead to an arrest or government prohibition. 

We can be  well intended when they do things without fully thinking them through. Done my share of well intended stupid things. 

Edited by Rue
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 10:08 PM, sillywalker said:

I agree but don't be too surprised if they are just ignorant of the full meaning of an upside down flag and how it could insult others. Whether it's a teaching moment or something to ignore depends on the level of energy you want to expend in reaction to it... in your case its zero level. I get that.

I have seen war vets calmly explain the implications of this act and be apologized  to by the people doing it.

Edited by Rue