Trudeau to spend a billion dollars pleasing anti-gun nuts

Sitting hear giggling to myself. 

Cougar put this vision in my head of him gamboling about under the mountains, along the rivers, harvesting his mushrooms and berries when he runs into a grizz.

And he's thinking to himself 'you know what would come in handy right about now? What Justine calls an assault rifle.'

Edited by Infidel Dog
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

You have the city dweller mentality . . . . hard to hide.  You didn't say where you immigrated from . . . . guessing Toronto?

Close:  Mississauga - the intersection of Bloor and Dixie.

How many types of mentalities are there for you?  city dweller, redneck, what else?

25 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Sitting hear giggling to myself. 

Cougar put this vision in my head of him gamboling about under the mountains, along the rivers, harvesting his mushrooms and berries when he runs into a grizz.

And he's thinking to himself 'you know what would come in handy right about now? What Justine calls an assault rifle.'

This made me laugh too; nearly choked on my sandwich.

It is a possibility.  I get lots of exposure particularly in fall along salmon bearing streams with grizzlies around me.  My dog can sense them and I can see him nervous at times and wading into the water to get to me.  Very different from his behavior along the same stream in spring.  But bears are not here to get you.  They can if they want.   It is the same with a person having an assault rifle; generally they will not kill you, but the odd one will.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, cougar said:

You're missing the point by a mile.  The discussion was about banning side arms , since these are not hunting tools.  Then someone said side arms were the popular line of defense against bears.  Then someone again disagreed and we started calling ourselves morons, at which point there was no point for further discussion.   

If you want to bring it all back to square one and start the same circus again, better just go back the pages and re-read them.

Sidearms actually are a popular line of defence against bears. You can get a permit to carry a handgun around if you work up north and hike a long way like a geologist, etc. In that type of situation you don't necessarily want to carry a big rifle with you all day, knowing that you'll almost never need it. It's much easier to strap on a big-bore pistol, and they're closer to hand.

Are they particularly useful? Tough to say. I haven't heard a lot of stories of pistols not working, or actually working. 

I get that a bear could fight his way through a .44 if they wanted to, but wild animals don't get to run to a Dr after they get hurt, so they don't typically take any more damage than they have to.

That's why an animal like a mountain lion, which could easily kill a human, prefers to hunt and kill smaller things like rabbits, or animals like fawns or does with no serious defensive physical accoutrements. 

The way I look at it, wrestling bear cubs even though you're packing a .44 would almost certainly get you killed, but if you're walking across an open field and a bear becomes interested in you as prey, and you fire a .44 past them, they will probably figure out what's best for them. 

1 hour ago, Infidel Dog said:

That's what Timothy Treadwell used to say.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man

Please do not compare sane people with pure idiots.

What do you think is going to happen to you if you decide to come into my kitchen and set up camp there to observe the habits of my family?

Edited by cougar

2 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

There's your naive mentality . . . . . and then there's normal folks mentalities. 

A dog can be a detriment in bear country. 

Where have you heard of hikers carrying a loaded .44 to protect themselves from bears?  Which BC Parks website would you reference?    In some places they advise people walk in groups of 6 or more.  Bear spray and bear bangers is what works in this neck of the woods.   Side arms and semi-automatics are for "normal folks" living in the city like you!

27 minutes ago, cougar said:

Where have you heard of hikers carrying a loaded .44 to protect themselves from bears?  Which BC Parks website would you reference?    In some places they advise people walk in groups of 6 or more.  Bear spray and bear bangers is what works in this neck of the woods.   Side arms and semi-automatics are for "normal folks" living in the city like you!

Had a 'permit to pack' while prospecting up the BC coastal inlets. Mine: Ruger Super Blackhawk.  Tell me about travelling in thick coastal vegetation alone . . . Mississauga man. You're out of your league here.  Stick to the BC Parks you referenced.  Pick some mushrooms for clarity of thought.

Edited by Nefarious Banana

1 minute ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Had a 'permit to pack' while prospecting up the BC coastal inlets. Mine: Ruger Super Blackhawk.  

Yes,  they gave you a permit to pack while invading pristine bear habitat.  You should have never been allowed to get there in the first place! 

I do not invade bear habitat.  I am largely on trails and rivers where bears and humans know a bit about one another and coexist.  

I am not looking to put myself between a bear and his kill, between a mother and her cubs, I do not approach them to ask them how they are doing and see if I can do their pedicure.   I do not camp on their land and leave half of my steak by the tent.

Again, it is people with little understanding and respect for wildlife that choose to carry guns and use them at first opportunity.

17 minutes ago, cougar said:

Yes,  they gave you a permit to pack while invading pristine bear habitat.  You should have never been allowed to get there in the first place! 

I do not invade bear habitat.  I am largely on trails and rivers where bears and humans know a bit about one another and coexist.  

I am not looking to put myself between a bear and his kill, between a mother and her cubs, I do not approach them to ask them how they are doing and see if I can do their pedicure.   I do not camp on their land and leave half of my steak by the tent.

Again, it is people with little understanding and respect for wildlife that choose to carry guns and use them at first opportunity.

Your above post with all its assumptions shows how utterly uninformed you are.  Hoping that your Walt Disney-ish ideas don't get you and your dog into a situation you know nothing about.

2 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Your above post with all its assumptions shows how utterly uninformed you are.  Hoping that your Walt Disney-ish ideas don't get you and your dog into a situation you know nothing about.

I see.  Now that I am enlightened what a big moron I am, I have to run back to the dusty basement at 1560 Bloor Street in Mississauga and hide under the mattress in case some lost grizzly walks through the front door.  I will never get anywhere near Erindale park again as the place is kind of wild and you never know what lurks under those bridge abutments.  Oh boy, I am so defeated and exhausted. 

I am going out with my dog straight into the first glacial valley.   A bear may put an end to my misery.

This one is from last evening.  I saw 2 porcupines that my dog chased and also three black bears.

And tomorrow, Saturday, I will be after bears again, yepeee :)

2020_Shames_07.jpg

Edited by cougar

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 2:33 PM, Rue said:

Didn't take you long to blame them injuns again. Is anything not their fault? Please show your evidence of injuns being to blame for gun smuggling. Or is it gonna be another one of those personal anecdotes again. N Banana is to blame.  Do not blame me. My people sell smoked meat and bagels. You could use a stale bagel as a weapon.

Truth hurts. And as long as people like you deny what is going on, nothing will change. And hate to tell you this , but you cant blame whitey for everything. 

• 2 weeks later...

A study of gun control measures in Canada shows no impact on the number of homicides or suicides.

Shocker.

Dr. Caillin Langmann, an emergency medicine professor at Ontario’s McMaster University, has completed a very thorough study of gun controls and their impact on crime dating back to the 1970s. His conclusion: “No beneficial association was found between legislation and female or male homicide rates.”

Nor was there any connection between “firearm prevalence rates per province and provincial suicide rates.”
The biggest factors for suicides in Dr. Langmann’s study were “rates of low income, increased unemployment, and the percentage of aboriginals in the population.”
The biggest impact on homicide rates came from youth gang involvement.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/gunter-gun-controls-hardly-accomplish-what-its-advocates-think/wcm/1fcbb340-4b32-4298-95c8-5b2875b466ac/

• Like 1