Trudeau to spend a billion dollars pleasing anti-gun nuts

11 hours ago, cougar said:

CBC Anti Gun article

Next step apparently is to ban all guns.  Sounds like a plan to me.

That opinion seemed to me to be nothing more than the malicious spew of someone who does not like gun owners, does not like what he presumes their culture to be, and feels comfortable in denouncing them for it. He never even tries to justify his beliefs with the suggestion this would do anything about crime. Never even mentions hunters. To him, people with guns are just bad, and besides, they won't vote for his political party, so the hell with them. Take away their guns and (he repeats this) put in place heavy prison terms for any who dare to refuse! Notice he never mentions actual violent criminals shooting up cities, as if they're not important. Then in a throwaway line at the end says "oh, and uh, step up border controls to keep American guns out" as if that was even remotely possible. This is just a lefty who hates gun owners and like a lot of the left, feels perfectly comfortable in his hate and contempt, and in having the government punish those who deviate from his own views. There is no acknowledgement that compromise is the basic building block of a democracy, just a zealot's uncompromising disdain for those who think differently.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cougar said:

CBC Anti Gun article

Next step apparently is to ban all guns.  Sounds like a plan to me.

Why, your boy Justin just back away from a large portion of his banned program....Gun owners that own said guns are now allowed to keep them, they no longer have to turn them in, all he did was freeze current sales...something easily over turned by the next government.... what makes you think he will do anything less with handguns....he dropped the ball because he is afraid he'll lose votes, he's not concerned with your safety.... you guys are gullible....and good luck with banning all guns...another liberal pipe dream cooked up under another bed.... 

Opinions are like assholes , everyone has one, and like must Anti-gun freaks nothing he says is based on facts, he even uses a few lies to puff up his piece, 9 mm rounds don't go through a car door then the driver and into the passenger, a 9 mm round is lucky to go through a windshield, but go through a door, and two people is a huge lie....

and helping police take down bad guys, hand guns are a restricted fire arm, and can only be used on a RCMP approved range period....unlike the US Canada has very few conceal fire arm permits, and very few permits that allow people to carry handguns in the open. So cops don't have to worry about ordinary people pulling out a handgun to help a police officer.....And those that are allowed to carry a handgun are normally in some sort of law enforcement or security guard....He should had known that with all his reserve time....he's a hack...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/who-may-carry-handguns-in-canada-1.1135084

Edited by Army Guy

TBH I own two pistols, a semi-auto 9mm and a .357, and it's fun going to the gun range and shooting but there's no practical use for those types of guns unless it's to train my son in case he goes into policing. 

If the government decided that private citizens have no need for pistols I'd go along with a buyback program and I wouldn't even care. 

However, the general quest to rid society of guns is completely stupid, and there's no doubt about it. The main reason why violent criminals don't do more home invasions is that guns make it a life-threatening scenario for them. Sure, it's illegal for the victim of a home invasion to shoot a home invader, but no one wants to be the home invader who gets killed wandering into someone's bedroom at 3 am. The fact that your intended victim goes to jail is no consolation if you're dead.  

4 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Sure, it's illegal for the victim of a home invasion to shoot a home invader,

It is?  You see, now there's a law worth changing!  Why can't we get the government to do something sensible like that for once?

9 hours ago, bcsapper said:

It is?  You see, now there's a law worth changing!  Why can't we get the government to do something sensible like that for once?

Just imagine some drunk gets shot because he entered the wrong apartment by mistake.    Or people shooting family members and friends believing they are invaders.

No, we do not need any guns.    Then there are those idiots who think they can take their gun and shoot all wildlife they see because no one will see them and catch them.

11 hours ago, Argus said:

....... does not like what he presumes their culture to be....

Exactly.  Just read the article.  I agree with the statement it makes that there is no reason for anyone to own a revolver gun.

Hunters?  Which hunters?  Those that pose with dead lions, rhinos, elephants, grizzlies ?  Those hunters?  You cannot ever use the word "culture" with them in mind.

7 minutes ago, cougar said:

Exactly.  Just read the article.  I agree with the statement it makes that there is no reason for anyone to own a revolver gun.

Hunters?  Which hunters?  Those that pose with dead lions, rhinos, elephants, grizzlies ?  Those hunters?  You cannot ever use the word "culture" with them in mind.

They don't have to be hunters.   Several of the most recommended bear-defense sidearms are large calibre revolvers.

People who live in bear country often have firearms as back-up defense, irrespective of hunting.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

17 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

They don't have to be hunters.   Several of the most recommended bear-defense sidearms are large calibre revolvers.

People who live in bear country often have firearms as back-up defense, irrespective of hunting.

Where did you read that the recommended line of defense against bears is a revolver?   Can you leave the bears alone for once?   This one is from TODAY, one of a dozen I photographed, including a grizzly. I have never had a revolver neither do I think of having one!

2020_STEWART_02.jpg

Edited by cougar

37 minutes ago, cougar said:

Just imagine some drunk gets shot because he entered the wrong apartment by mistake.    Or people shooting family members and friends believing they are invaders.

No, we do not need any guns.    Then there are those idiots who think they can take their gun and shoot all wildlife they see because no one will see them and catch them.

I oppose shooting wildlife.  Drunks in the wrong apartment not so much, but I would concede to there being a hint of a threat before making it legal.

Wildlife in the wrong apartment?  Maybe if it's a pit bull.

Edited by bcsapper

Just now, cougar said:

Where did you read that the recommended line of defense against bears is revolver?   Can you leave the bears alone for once?   This one is from TODAY, one of a dozen I photographed, including a grizzly.

That's nice, but I am telling you from personal experience that many residents in rural bear country use revolvers for back-up bear defence instead of Canon or Nikon DSLRs with auto-focus lenses.    They are not hunting or seeking encounters with bears or other predators, and do avoid confrontations, but some do have sidearms just in case.

8 minutes ago, cougar said:

Where did you read that the recommended line of defense against bears is a revolver?   Can you leave the bears alone for once?   This one is from TODAY, one of a dozen I photographed, including a grizzly. I have never had a fuckin revolver neither do I think of having one!

And I would never consider forcing you to have one.  You, on the other hand, don't like them, so no-one can have one.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's nice, but I am telling you from personal experience that many residents in rural bear country use revolvers for back-up bear defence instead of Canon or Nikon DSLRs with auto-focus lenses.    They are not hunting or seeking encounters with bears or other predators, and do avoid confrontations, but some do have sidearms just in case.

Again, my personal experience is different.   I go from the sea to the mountain tops never carrying more than a bottle of bear spray.  

If the other hikers start carrying revolvers, I will be done with hiking just because of them, not the bears.   Enjoy some more of the bears I saw today.

2020_STEWART_15.jpg

2020_STEWART_16.jpg

2020_STEWART_12.jpg

2020_STEWART_10.jpg

2020_STEWART_05.jpg

2020_STEWART_01.jpg

1 minute ago, cougar said:

Again, my personal experience is different.   I go from the sea to the mountain tops never carrying more than a bottle of bear spray.  

If the other hikers start carrying revolvers, I will be done with hiking just because of them, not the bears.   Enjoy some more of the bears I saw today.

Respectfully, I am not talking about "hikers", but people who live in bear country, far away from civilization or immediate help.

Sidearms are carried as back-up defense to be used when an attack can not be otherwise avoided.

Again, the point here is that large calibre revolvers are often preferred for this purpose.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Again, the point here is that large calibre revolvers are often preferred for this purpose.

From the pictures above it must be evident I live in bear country.  I can see a dozen a day.  I am bound to see one no matter which way I go.

But I am yet to see someone carrying a gun to defend himself from the bears.

Those tales must come from people living in the Alaskan wilderness.  One way or another, if this is the main argument that can be made for the revolver, I would leave the residents of Alaska carrying one of those.  But, wait, Alaska is still in the USA.   We in Canada do not need to carry sidearms.

Just now, cougar said:

Those tales must come from people living in the Alaskan wilderness.  One way or another, if this is the main argument that can be made for the revolver, I would leave the residents of Alaska carrying one of those.  But, wait, Alaska is still in the USA.   We in Canada do not need to carry sidearms.

They are not just tales, and it is not just Alaska.   But let's just pretend that nobody in Canada would ever carry a sidearm.  

9 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

They are not just tales, and it is not just Alaska.   But let's just pretend that nobody in Canada would ever carry a sidearm.  

Farmers and people living in remote areas, whether or not they hunt, are well served by the freedom to own rifles.  I don’t think most Canadians would disagree with that.  Any politician who doesn’t have the depth or intelligence to respect that has no right to hold office.  Canada has many remote communities whose traditions and safety must be respected.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

2020_STEWART_15.jpg

2020_STEWART_16.jpg

2020_STEWART_12.jpg

2020_STEWART_10.jpg

2020_STEWART_05.jpg

2020_STEWART_01.jpg

Wonderful photos. Me I climb trees or get under my canoe or head to the lake..not as brave. Got in the way of a female and her Cubs. I was lucky I had a  tree. Was with people shoot a renegade elderly male. Probably had some neurological disease or maybe  distemper.  Black bears become a danger because of garbage dumps and people feeding them.

Also Grizzlies do whatever and whenever. They are like wolverines. You stay the phack away. I say the same about badgers, skunks, cougars, wolves. Just stay away.  Personally I am most afraid of skunks and leeches. Then black flies, deer flies, ticks, any blood sucker insect.

I like frogs. I feel guilty eating their legs and using them as bait. 

I eat snails. In Quebec we call them escargots. I blame French cuisine. Anything with butter and garlic works. 

I like nature but have a homo sapiens tendency to eat it.  People who eat bear meat are crazy. Anything that can or does digest meat that you eat will eventually make you sick.  It's why  I do not eat humans. 

Edited by Rue

12 hours ago, cougar said:

It's certainly your right to have contempt for people who behave in ways you do not approve of. But when a government adopts that level of contempt and adjust government policies to match, you get a breakdown in trust of government, a breakdown in democratic values, and a situation like we see south of us, where the two sides are retreating into snarling, angry corners hurling abuse at each other.

The fact is their hobbies don't impact you whatsoever. But you're more than willing to punish them as severely as you can regardless, simply because you don't like them. This is really no different than the far Right in the US, which glories in every insult Trump delivers to the 'leftards'. Or the far Left for that matter.

12 hours ago, cougar said:

And when has that happened in Canada?

From the pictures above it must be evident I live in bear country.  I can see a dozen a day.  I am bound to see one no matter which way I go.

Gjermund Roesholt was returning home from trapping in the Einarson Lake area when he discovered the bodies of his wife and young daughter lying outside.
Roesholt had just shot and killed a grizzly bear that charged at him, some 100 meters from the family's home.