North American Food Supply Issues

Boges

I have some friends who work in the grocery stores, and this can be scaled into the whole supply chain.  People are afraid to come into work. Partly because of the virus, partly because people are acting dumb and the store workers safety is at risk (aka physical harm).  Since most of the stores are running with reduced staff, you can bet that is happening across all supply chains. Less workers in the stores, less truckers on the road, less people in the warehouse, less people in the packing plants.

Those people also told me that some of the smaller stores will close because the staff is not there, or the store is so small, physical distancing is impossible. Putting more stress on the bigger stores since there will be fewer options.

I've been more strategic with my grocery acquisition. Going once every two weeks if I can. Certain products are always vacant from the shelves. Even first thing in the mornings. But that supply won't be shored up anytime soon. I guess we can see more shortages of certain products over the next month or so, if things don't get rolling again.

15 hours ago, eyeball said:

The likeliest reason for that would be if the world goes laissez faire and takes the stupid path to herd immunity.

Oh well I'll have my little boat, my fishin' pole, my crab trap, the garden's coming along and there'll more berries than I know what to do with growing out back soon. I'll be eating at least as well as Mel I think.

No one is saying laissez faire.  You’re still debating yourself I guess.  Regardless, here immunity is actual science.  Science is your friend, stop being a science denier.

4 minutes ago, Shady said:

No one is saying laissez faire.  You’re still debating yourself I guess.  

No I'm debating the guy who linked to an article that said laissez fair when arguing we should open up ASAP.

Regardless, here immunity is actual science.  Science is your friend, stop being a science denier.

Science is just what it is, stop pretending you're Einstein. The issue is which path to herd immunity we take a shorter path that kills more people called laissez faire or a longer path that saves more people called vaccination.

16 minutes ago, Shady said:

Huh?  Private businesses producing goods and services.

Yes. Public institutions producing the infrastructure and maintaining the society private business's wouldn't exist without.  It's definitely a chicken and egg thing.

Oh and don't forget the natural capital sustaining it all.  That's the public's too just in case you didn't know.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

No I'm debating the guy who linked to an article that said laissez fair when arguing we should open up ASAP.

Science is just what it is, stop pretending you're Einstein. The issue is which path to herd immunity we take a shorter path that kills more people called laissez faire or a longer path that saves more people called vaccination.

Read while articles that outline phased openings with mitigation and social distancing.  Stop being purposely obtuse.