Racism in Canada

1 hour ago, taxme said:

When I personal see hundreds of thousands of illegal so called refugees crossing into Canada illegally

Doubts you have seen that. Why exaggerate so much?

1 hour ago, Shady said:

That's a meaningless word salad.

Can we assume from your continuous attempts at asserting the topic as insignificant, that you too see no reason to think that someone could be causing Canadians to express more racistic attitudes than they otherwise would?

1 hour ago, Shady said:

How so?

Politics have to do with power.

Example: X wants to become an influential political figure, but can't stand Y who happens to be much more popular than X. In fact, X believes as long as Y is in politics X might never become all that influential because Y is giving the people all they want and X can't offer the same. Y is a real jerk - always speaking against racism and inequality, defending immigrants and wasting his time on all similar nonsense. X knows that some people in his country are racistic and knows that he needs all those on his side - however, those alone won't do; there are too few. So he starts spreading ideas that cause the racists to become more racistic and those who are not racist to become, at first at least, just a little bit racistic.

6 hours ago, Marocc said:

What is the real reason some Canadians are so racistic and so loud about it?

Aside from this forum, I doubt you see that much racism as you go about your daily life anywhere in Canada.....maybe I better walk that back a bit, cause Alberta has always been a haven for rightwing clowns, and Quebec's fascist-leaning rightwing seems bigger than it's been since the days of the Union Nationale. But, if you're in the US, you're saturated with stupidity...and it's not just in the south! That's what happens to people living in empires that are about to collapse under the weight of their imperial overreach.

1 minute ago, Right To Left said:

Aside from this forum, I doubt you see that much racism as you go about your daily life anywhere in Canada.....maybe I better walk that back a bit, cause Alberta has always been a haven for rightwing clowns, and Quebec's fascist-leaning rightwing seems bigger than it's been since the days of the Union Nationale. But, if you're in the US, you're saturated with stupidity...and it's not just in the south! That's what happens to people living in empires that are about to collapse under the weight of their imperial overreach.

The US is about one tenth as racist as almost the whole rest of the world excluding western Europe. And Canada is even less than that.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

The US is about one tenth as racist as almost the whole rest of the world excluding western Europe. And Canada is even less than that.

Eliminate the "shining city on a hill" BS and you end up with an empire that was largely built with slave labor on stolen land!

Historian- Gerald Horne, makes a good case that the primary reason for the 13 colonies' revolt against the British Crown was anger over laws stopping them from expanding their territories into Indian lands on the other side of the Mississippi River, and out of fears that laws abolishing slavery and the slave trade in the British Empire would lead to an end of slavery in America. And too many founding fathers, like Washington and Jefferson had enriched themselves from both!

Now, after those beginnings and a long history of formal slavery that morphed into unofficial slavery - "Jim Crow" laws that still persist today, why would you think that a nation which promotes racism would not be racist?

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

This is just an accusation disguised as a question Marocc.

The question is predicated on your false assertion that Canadians are more racist than people in other places. That's patently false, so your initial question is just a weak attempt at hate mongering.

How do I know it's false? Canadians don't kill our own people just for blasphemy. Canadians don't kill other Canadians because of their sexual orientation. It's highly illegal in Canada to physically attack other Canadians out of bigotry, and in cases where that does happen, a perpetrator can face as much as ten extra years in prison for their "hate crime". This is the will of the people. The majority. It is an accurate reflection of the average Canadian. Hence, I say that Canadians are less bigoted than a lot of other countries.

A better opening question is, what's your problem with Canadians Marocc? What gives you the impression that Canadians are more racist than people from other countries? Do you feel like you're less racist than Canadians? Do you feel like you're less of a bigot than most Canadians?

What your ethnic origin? Your religion, or lack thereof? Are people from your country, or your religion, the types to kill others for being different? 

Let's go Marocc.

Great post WestcanMan! Canadians in general are the most accepting and friendly people around. Back when I traveled to other countries that would be one of the first things I'd here, 'oh your from Canada! We love Canadians!' Have you ever experienced this? It's always a great feeling. With people like Marocc immigrating to Canada this may all be gone someday! Just a thought.

• Haha 1

So there ya go Marocc. You want to talk about what you perceive as a "problem" here in Canada but you don't have an example of someplace better to compare us to.

Would you say that Iran is a more tolerant place than Canada? China? North Korea? Saudi Arabia? Brazil? Poland? Libya? A part of the former Yugoslavia? Pakistan? The Phillipines? Russia? 

You've got your choice of several countries on different continents. Surely you can pick one? 

3 minutes ago, Teena said:

Great post WestcanMan! Canadians in general are the most accepting and friendly people around. Back when I traveled to other countries that would be one of the first things I'd here, 'oh your from Canada! We love Canadians!' Have you ever experienced this? It's always a great feeling. With people like Marocc immigrating to Canada this may all be gone someday! Just a thought.

I don't really talk about my Canadianness when I'm in a foreign country to be honest. 

I'm proud of Canada's legacy internationally, we have our share of skeletons in the closet but so does everyone else. 

Hopefully we can keep improving but our country is more divided than I have ever seen it right now. 

1 hour ago, Right To Left said:

...and that's what happens in empires that have already collapsed (e.g. Canada's racist Indian Act).

16 minutes ago, Teena said:

Too much immigration! 

But no racism, lol!   I don't think it's immigrants who create divisiveness; I think it's social and religious right wingers that create divisiveness because of attitudes like yours, expressed above.

29 minutes ago, Teena said:

Back when I traveled to other countries that would be one of the first things I'd here, 'oh your from Canada! We love Canadians!' Have you ever experienced this? It's always a great feeling.

That's because they think people like you don't really exist in Canada.  They think Canada is filled with people like me - accepting of immigrants and refugees.   So you can thank people like me for those "good feelings".

20 minutes ago, Teena said:

Isn't it? So divided it's crazy. Too much immigration! What else has changed?

I'm not blaming it on the immigration, or at least the immigrants themselves, but the posture of our PM re: the topic of immigration is galling.

The vast majority of our division is imo entirely from the PM himself.

He's extremely protective of the Quebec culture, and jobs in Mtl (his willingness to break the law to protect SNC, for whatever reason, is a prime example), while at the same time he's eager to throw English-Canadian culture under the bus and kill jobs in western Canada. He constantly denigrates Canadians in general, men, white men, makes ridiculous claims of things like genocide against indigenous women, protects the rights of minorities to commit crimes against Canadians (by allowing terrorist to keep citizenship) or war crimes abroad, etc. 

It's no surprise that the Bloc is rising to new heights under Trudeau and that western separation is suddenly a topic. Trudeau is a pice of filth and imo he's a traitor, plain and simple. I have no more affection for that man than I have for cancer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

But no racism, lol!   I don't think it's immigrants who create divisiveness; I think it's social and religious right wingers that create divisiveness because of attitudes like yours, expressed above.

The current level of immigration that our PM is pushing is just stupid. Canada does not have the money for it, and it's not being done with a realistic strategy.

Rent is completely out of control now in our big cities. People live and work out of their cars now. Is there really room for 400,000 people in the next year or whatever? 

It's ironic that lib-types push for cheap housing and mass immigration at the same time, along with an increased minimum wage. Those things are all mutually exclusive.

That's because they think people like you don't really exist in Canada. 

Lol. That was a zinger.

They think Canada is filled with people like me - accepting of immigrants and refugees.   So you can thank people like me for those "good feelings".

No, that's not why lol. Every country has "nice" people in it. 

Canadians have fought in a lot of wars over the past 100 years, gave a hundred thousand lives, and not one of those wars was for our own benefit (WWI was idiotic). No country has sacrificed more for less personal gain than Canada has in the history of the world. Syria is the lone blight on Canada's reputation as an integral part of the international peacekeeping community, but it will take a long time to destroy our reputation. 

We have lost the 2nd highest amount of peacekeepers of any country but India, we haven't taken anything by force. We always give food and money to countries in need. What's not to like about Canada, from an international pov.

1 hour ago, Right To Left said:

maybe I better walk that back a bit, cause Alberta has always been a haven for rightwing clowns, and Quebec's fascist-leaning rightwing seems bigger than it's been since the days of the Union Nationale. But, if you're in the US, you're saturated with stupidity...and it's not just in the south! That's what happens to people living in empires that are about to collapse under the weight of their imperial overreach.

OMG you're calling other people stupid in the middle of all this lol. Pure comedic gold. 

3 hours ago, Right To Left said:

Eliminate the "shining city on a hill" BS and you end up with an empire that was largely built with slave labor on stolen land!

Historian- Gerald Horne, makes a good case that the primary reason for the 13 colonies' revolt against the British Crown was anger over laws stopping them from expanding their territories into Indian lands on the other side of the Mississippi River, and out of fears that laws abolishing slavery and the slave trade in the British Empire would lead to an end of slavery in America. And too many founding fathers, like Washington and Jefferson had enriched themselves from both!

Now, after those beginnings and a long history of formal slavery that morphed into unofficial slavery - "Jim Crow" laws that still persist today, why would you think that a nation which promotes racism would not be racist?

You could add every nation on the planet in that statement, and while the US was not a shinny example, there are countries with a lot worse records, in fact you can still find slavery in most countries today....As for the stealing of land or territory , most if not all  nation were built on these principles. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_century  

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/modern-slavery/

4 hours ago, Right To Left said:

Slavery existed in the US for about 100 years. It was normal all over the world, as far back in history as we know. It has been abolished in the US for 150 years. The US wasn't forced to abolish slavery by anyone. They did it of their own accord.

The Persians were slavers for a couple thousand years. The muslims in that area were slavers for another 1400 years. There's probably 5,000 consecutive years of slavery being normal in Iran. 

Perspective. So weird. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dialamah said:

That's because they think people like you don't really exist in Canada.  They think Canada is filled with people like me - accepting of immigrants and refugees.   So you can thank people like me for those "good feelings".

Really Dia? Honestly you don't know what your talking about. You must be like a super human, Jesus like, so loving and accepting of all humanity more than me or many other Canadians. Immigration plays a huge roll in how we are divided. One example, Muslims. Yes they are assimilating perfectly into Canada. Such a pleasure speaking to just the eyes of a Muslim women. What a beautiful experience. We should all wear them? This attire should be banned in Canada! It causes problems, distance and oppression. It's really just ridiculous. Something I will never understand nor do I want to. So now these women that wear the Burka represent Canada too Woo hoo. 

I blame our Government for causing the problem...JT...just like WestCanMan noted in this thread.

1_68bCGNtjrJ3nrcfDZXlOnA (1).jpeg

30 minutes ago, Teena said:

Really Dia? Honestly you don't know what your talking about.

I've listened to racist dickheads since I've been in gradeschool.  They're not hard to spot, and on this forum its like shooting fish in a barrel.  So, don't tell ne I don't know what I'm talking abou

50 minutes ago, Teena said:

Such a pleasure speaking to just the eyes of a Muslim women. What a beautiful experience. We should all wear them?

We will be, if this virus keeps up.  Of course, racists won't complain about the security risks of masks that hide faces, or that we can only see the eyes of people we're intrracting with, and that a full face is required for a proper social communication.  Because it's all bullshit of course.  Racists don't care about social interaction or security, only about  demonizing "the other".  (And if you don't like the word "racist" in relation to Muslims, substitute Islamophobe.  They're essentially the same thing.)

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I've listened to racist dickheads since I've been in gradeschool.  They're not hard to spot, and on this forum its like shooting fish in a barrel.  So, don't tell ne I don't know what I'm talking abou

We will be, if this virus keeps up.  Of course, racists won't complain about the security risks of masks that hide faces, or that we can only see the eyes of people we're intrracting with, and that a full face is required for a proper social communication.  Because it's all bullshit of course.  Racists don't care about social interaction or security, only about  demonizing "the other".  (And if you don't like the word "racist" in relation to Muslims, substitute Islamophobe.  They're essentially the same thing.)

Oh please don't bring covid-19 into this debate! You can't compare. The Burka is not to protect from a deadly virus!!! Unless you want to refer to men as a virus lol

21 hours ago, Shady said:

I don't know, maybe you should google reasons or something.  

That's a good idea.

"How are we not choking on these numbers? For a country so self-satisfied with its image of progressive tolerance, how is this not a national crisis? Why are governments not falling on this issue?"

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/out-of-sight-out-of-mind-2/

CHARTS_MAC04-Gilmore.jpeg

"If we want to fix this, the first step is to admit something is wrong. Start by saying it to yourself, but say it out loud: “Canada has a race problem.”"

This article unfortunately didn't appear to give reasons for racism, but reasons for why Canada ignores racism.