Discovering Movies

betsy

Thanks to coronavirus, I've been searching for movies and checking their trailers on youtube.  I'm trying to compile a list.  It's become a favorite past time.

Going through youtube has yielded some interesting unknown titles.............................. and rediscovery of forgotten ones!

Let me start with this one, Smokin Aces.  Never heard of it, and the comment from the viewers who'd seen it seem mostly positive.  It's an action/thriller/comedy.

Edited by betsy

I've been glued to the chick flick genre.  I've seen and loved ONCE AROUND with Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfuss - so I'm quite surprised to learn that they had another flick together, called ALWAYS.  It's directed by Speilberg.

It's just the trailer........but it's already making me cry!

Edited by betsy

Since there isn't much worth watching on TV we've been watching quite a bit of Youtube. Everything from movies to how to video's. We just watched The Iron Maiden the other night with Allan Hale, a good light hearted movie. Another we watched was The Colour of Magic based on the Terry Pratchett disc world novels.

I've seen Always several times, in fact I used to own it on VHS. It's not bad but is actually just a reimagined remake of an older movie. Still worth watching though.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, AngusThermopyle said:

Since there isn't much worth watching on TV we've been watching quite a bit of Youtube. Everything from movies to how to video's. We just watched The Iron Maiden the other night with Allan Hale, a good light hearted movie. Another we watched was The Colour of Magic based on the Terry Pratchett disc world novels.

I've seen Always several times, in fact I used to own it on VHS. It's not bad but is actually just a reimagined remake of an older movie. Still worth watching though.

What's The Colour of Magic like?

I'm a big fan of Pratchett but never found that any of the adaptations were very good.

If anyone has never seen The Paper, I highly recommend it.  It's a rather unknown movie with a star studded cast, and it's really good.  Michael Keaton, Glenn Close, Marisa Tomei, Randy Quaid, Robert Duvall, Jason Alexander, and Catherine O'Hara (1994).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The Third Man, Shane, and Astronaut Roberta Bondar's favourite, Galaxy Quest.

Love The Third Man.  I love old black and white movies.  The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Twelve Angry Men, The African Queen, Paths of Glory, etc.  All have been on TCM recently.

Ahh, I forgot the African Queen. Great movie. While they were filming, Lauren Bacall accompanied Bogart and was the camp cook. Katarine Hepburn's contract stipulated she have her own toilet on a barge. Unfortunately, a low hanging branch breeched the contract.

Casablanca is another classic.

My favourite scene in the Third Man was the coocoo clock story at the base of the ferris wheel. I always thought it was Graham Greene's line, but it was a throw away line by Orson Wells. 

Edited by Queenmandy85
  • Like 1

Thanks to Angus, he got me searching for free movies!   I found some free FULL Movies that you folks might enjoy.  A lot of old - some black and white, too!   Now - it's no longer just trailers that I am checking out.   I'm also compiling a list of free full movies I'd want to see.  Because they don't cost any, I even want to watch documentaries, and subtitled foreign films.  I had to jack up the volume on some of the movies.

Here are some full-length movies :

Strangers When We Meet (melodrama centers upon the tangled webs woven by a philandering architect and his mistress, who is also his next door neighbor. Kirk Douglas)

Heaven Can Wait (Warren Beatty.  Mistakenly taken to heaven, the plot centers on how the mistake can be undone)

Dear Ruth (WW2 serviceman shows up to meet his pen pal Ruth)

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

The Cassandra Crossing (Sophia Loren.  When a plague-infected terrorist boards a passenger train to escape capture, authorities at the International Health Organization quarantine the entire train. To prevent anyone from leaving, armed personnel are brought onboard and the windows sealed with metal plates.)  Sounds like the cruise ships with corona virus on board!

The Innocents  (A young governess for two children becomes convinced that the house and grounds are haunted.)

Murder, Inc. (Mob movie with Stuart Whitman and Peter Falk).

Murder By Natural Causes (from the creators of Columbo)

The Last Embrace  (Roy Scheider. " In 1979, Jonathan Demme was still a cutting-edge director and The Last Embrace was his first effort at a completely commercial assignment. Very much in the Hitchcock vein, The Last Embrace is an intense suspense film concerning Harry Hannan (Roy Scheider), a government agent recovering from a catatonic collapse after the murder of his wife. After Harry's recovery, he is back on the job, but he can't figure out whether he is suffering from self-induced paranoia or if his former employers want to kill him. These conflicting feelings are exacerbated when he forms a connection with a nervous graduate student, Ellie Fabian (Janet Margolin), whom he discovers is living in his apartment.")  I'd seen this way back, and enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVj-pHrmSo

Evasive Action (Roy Scheider. "Santa Ana Federal Penitentiary is closing and five of its most dangerous criminals are to be transferred to the Redwood Maximum Security Prison.When the brakes on the train fail, 200 tons of steel thunder become out of control heading towards Los Angeles train station.As U.S. Marshals try to stop the train from outside, one of the prisoners tries to disengage the last cars to save the passengers.But the rest of the prisoners who want to escape are hunting him down to stop his efforts.")

Cohen and Tate (Roy Scheider and Adam Baldwin.  "A boy kidnapped by two mismatched hitmen puts them at each other's throats while being driven to their employers, possibly to be killed.")

Three Came Home " The true story of Agnes Newton Keith's imprisonment in several Japanese prisoner-of-war camps from 1941 to the end of WWII. Separated from her husband and with a young son to care for she has many difficulties to face."   I've enjoyed this movie!