Let’s chat about the atheist religion. Believers in the mainstream god religions often denigrate and discriminate against atheists, non-believers and rival religions on moral grounds. Godless mean without a moral sense to them. I seek a solution to this p

To French Patriot I feel the need to correct you that there are no ‘good gods’ as they are only imagined creatures and therefore only as good as the people that imagine them.

Aethists require no gods but rather only the morals and principles that people require to live amongst each other peacefully.

Religions have historically hijacked those morals/principles for their own and rebranded them as divine wisdom when in fact people as a whole knew these principles to be self evident as a consequence of simply living amongst our own species (killing/stealing is bad - giving/compassion is good) etc...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Heelaque said:

To French Patriot I feel the need to correct you that there are no ‘good gods’ as they are only imagined creatures and therefore only as good as the people that imagine them.

Atheists require no gods but rather only the morals and principles that people require to live amongst each other peacefully.

Religions have historically hijacked those morals/principles for their own and rebranded them as divine wisdom when in fact people as a whole knew these principles to be self evident as a consequence of simply living amongst our own species (killing/stealing is bad - giving/compassion is good) etc...

Intelligent.

You left nothing for me to disagree with. 

Let me have a look at your moral sense.

Atheists do not call the ideals they follow god, but they treat that ideal or favored ideology the same way a believer treats their ideal or theology. They just name a god while you and I might name Socrates.

Atheists do not have a god, but in effect, are following their ideals the same way the religious follow theirs.

The little differences and power to use inquisitions and jihads are the only reason Christianity survived and thrived. Through murder.

Regards

DL

Perhaps, French Patriot, your opinion that Atheism is just another religion under different branding, is perhaps a symptom of what you define as a religion more than anything else.

As this ventures into my personal opinions I will state that at the beginning of this response as other people will likely have different perspectives on what religion/atheism  is (to them).

To me religion is a way for spiritual leaders to distance themselves from consequences of their own belief (the result of actions was god’s ‘will’ so we must just accept it). Where as Atheists deny themselves that buffer by removing the concept of god. Religion distils the attention of a population into a non-corporial analogue of humanity (god or gods) where as Atheists dilute the concentration of results amongst the sciences.

The difference then becomes one of ‘opinion’ vs ‘evidence’.

Religion relies upon opinion to guide activities, Atheism relies upon continually updated evidence to guide itself. This is how Atheism can not be classified as a religion - it does not exist using the same structure that religion requires, at which point Atheism can be recognized as a non-religion.

I guess that you will have to talk to those atheists who are starting atheist churches and get them to stop calling their churches, churches.

I equate the word religions with tribes. Both are just groups of like minded people.

I seem to follow the experts in this. See if you do.

The Groupish Gene - Jonathan Haidt - YouTube

Regards

DL

4 hours ago, French Patriot said:

I asked you to look a certain way.

You offered no argument for or against.

Regards

DL

No sir, I gave you a definition of atheism, you claimed it was incorrect with no supporting evidence other than random YouTube videos. Again please provide any actual credible source to substantiate your assertion that atheism is a religion.

23 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

No sir, I gave you a definition of atheism, you claimed it was incorrect with no supporting evidence other than random YouTube videos. Again please provide any actual credible source to substantiate your assertion that atheism is a religion.

Atheists are a group/tribe with an ideology.

Religions are groups/tribes with theologies.

Theologies are synonymous with ideologies.

They are all thinking systems.

Accept that an we can proceed.

Otherwise, seems we are done.

Regards

DL

3 hours ago, French Patriot said:

Atheists are a group/tribe with an ideology.

Religions are groups/tribes with theologies.

Theologies are synonymous with ideologies.

They are all thinking systems.

Accept that an we can proceed.

Otherwise, seems we are done.

Regards

DL

Seems so, atheists are in no way  a tribe. Atheism still only answers one question, do you possess a god belief? The moral values, ideologies superstitions, philosophical opinions, etc.. . vary widely amongst atheists. Again unlike a religion there is not one book that everyone follows, no authority we must abide by,no specific tenets or ceremonies, etc, etc, etc.....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but understand  that what you've put forth in this discussion, is nothing more than that ,your opinion, and does not correspond with the consensus of academia or that of the general public.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

Seems so, atheists are in no way  a tribe. Atheism still only answers one question, do you possess a god belief? The moral values, ideologies superstitions, philosophical opinions, etc.. . vary widely amongst atheists. Again unlike a religion there is not one book that everyone follows, no authority we must abide by,no specific tenets or ceremonies, etc, etc, etc.....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but understand  that what you've put forth in this discussion, is nothing more than that ,your opinion, and does not correspond with the consensus of academia or that of the general public.

True.

But only the less intelligent will disagree.

As to atheist tenets, of course they have some.

It begins with doubting there is a supernatural god, due to lack of proofs.

The intelligent human position, as compared to those who have let their material duality thinking delude themselves, --- due to culture, religion and luck of the draw. Right?

That gift of nature, the right wing loonies should get a better grasp of.

Legally speaking, and cross culturally, Christianity has already been classed as lacking a good moral foundation.

Atheism and free thinking, thank all our man made gods have won the cultural/secular battle and the god religions have been rejected.

Praise all moral secular people. Even the atheists. They are now just shy of Gnostic Christianity and are worthy of my praise. It took Atheist long enough to recognize the need of Mystery School type churches and have finally begun that necessary trend. They put  a safety net for their naturally tribal/religious , children.

We are all born tribal and religious, which must include atheists.

They are the 2% whose material duality is under better control than the rest.

Take the controls of atheist thinking out of society, --- and it fails. Add more and it thrives morally and ethically. Check the stats. 

If the religious do not see the great value of all, which they generally do not, they show their unworthiness.

Homophobia and misogyny is just the tip of their hate iceberg.

All IMO of course.

Regards

DL

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 9:13 AM, French Patriot said:

True.

But only the less intelligent will disagree.

As to atheist tenets, of course they have some.

It begins with doubting there is a supernatural god, due to lack of proofs.

The intelligent human position, as compared to those who have let their material duality thinking delude themselves, --- due to culture, religion and luck of the draw. Right?

That gift of nature, the right wing loonies should get a better grasp of.

Legally speaking, and cross culturally, Christianity has already been classed as lacking a good moral foundation.

Atheism and free thinking, thank all our man made gods have won the cultural/secular battle and the god religions have been rejected.

Praise all moral secular people. Even the atheists. They are now just shy of Gnostic Christianity and are worthy of my praise. It took Atheist long enough to recognize the need of Mystery School type churches and have finally begun that necessary trend. They put  a safety net for their naturally tribal/religious , children.

We are all born tribal and religious, which must include atheists.

They are the 2% whose material duality is under better control than the rest.

Take the controls of atheist thinking out of society, --- and it fails. Add more and it thrives morally and ethically. Check the stats. 

If the religious do not see the great value of all, which they generally do not, they show their unworthiness.

Homophobia and misogyny is just the tip of their hate iceberg.

All IMO of course.

Regards

DL

Hey, how are you doing? I'm been less online lately given some people just "Kant" let logic interfere in their politics. 

While I understand your take, note that my own atheism is also logically nihilistic, and I'm relatively 'gnostic' when I argue against specific religious claims. That is, I don't even think the functioning concept of morals exist by nature and so my own interpretation of being atheist is very non-religious. Many peer atheists and agnostics DO act 'religious' when interpreting the nature of humanity and often under the label, "Humanist", though. You cannot have a belief THAT there is any moral reality that is universal without having the significant property of religions beyond speaking about life after death. 

I DO argue for moral higher grounds though and it is still something that ALL emotional beings require or they'd lack an incentive or drive to persist. My interpretation of morals though is about maximizing our means of coexisting or at least something that each of us selfishly feels personal comfort or value of with respect to how they are treated in life. We (all animals) learn to define emotional significance initially in a sort of arbitrary assignment of what we experience in windows of development. HOW you are initially treated during these periods assign what 'good' versus 'bad' are to us, including real physiological sensations, like pleasure and pain, ....where non-genetically evovled. 

Laws the people create act as 'morals' and vary depending on who is in charge in creating the laws and their enforcement. As such, the moral part that contributes to a religion in us independently is only reflected socially by how much our own ideals FIT with the laws our governing bodies artificially create and whether we also FIT in favor to those laws. Government then is the human means of 'atheistically' assigning morals. When looking at the forms of religions people have, they always hold some bias reflecting their politics and based upon how well they are doing with respect to those systems. 

Lately, I've found that many atheists tend to also favor religious-like beliefs based upon politics and their own fortunes or lack of it. As specific examples in our times, I find many of the supports by most (other) atheists today supporting certain extremes of beliefs, like censorship, safe spaces, strong advocacy of reversed racist or sexist idiologies, etc, very religious. Some Communist countries that are supposed to be non-religious, for instance, like North Korea, act religious by demanding their living human leaders as 'divine'. Also, one's willingness to sacrifice for some ideal future on Earth for the non-religious is at odds of still being religious because they themselves cannot be 'satisfied' when they cannot literally LIVE such Earthly paradise for themselves. 

So I agree in part. But I am exception. I still think that we CAN still best optimize our social comforts through governments if we remove any traces of 'religious' justification in governments. Our own system is highly 'theocratic' in that it DOES bias it to favor religious law making. The "Multiculturalism" of our system is actually an indirect secular rhetoric used to hide that we are such. All 'cultures' being protected constitutionally are always about conserving specific ways to make laws that are themselves hiding some formal religious biases. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, Scott Mayers said:

That is, I don't even think the functioning concept of morals exist by nature and so my own interpretation of being atheist is very non-religious.

Rather a catch 22 here.

Humans recognize morals and we are a part of nature, in which you say morals do not exist.

I did not see where we do not agree in the rest of your presentation and would only remind you that be either religious or atheist, both are tribes or groups with a thinking system.

More alike than not, with just different beliefs.

Regards

DL